Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I use the cart to move ore from my black forest base to my meadows home base and I like making the trip.

Once I was surprised by a troll right as I was about to head out, got killed and a big chunk of the base smashed along with the cart, but I recovered the nails and all the cargo so that just turned into a memorable moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I enjoy making roads and I enjoy using the cart. Even if you don't like making roads the cart is really useful for getting your ore down mountains since you can load it up and just push it off a cliff.

What I generally do for roads is find a resource rich area, pave a single road to the center of it (roadmaking is definitely a skill that takes some figuring out but isn't too bad once you get the hang of it) from my base/boat, then replace the "running back to base" step with the "running back to the cart" step until its basically packed to the gills.

Other use of roads is between any bases I have to move ore between because gently caress schlepping an entire inventory of ore overland without it.

I do wonder how much is the cart skill mod would help things

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I think the Eikthyr power should include a boost to pulling carts. Maybe not faster, but double your pulling weight.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Is there an ETA for more content for this game?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They've posted a list of planned updates, but there are no specific dates attached. I think they admitted in a recent interview that they hope to put the first update out "soon." I think it was supposed to happen in April but that seems like a miss.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

Requiring long stretches of repetitive grinding to unlock further process is perfectly fine, if you’re aiming to develop the hottest new release of 2003. These days it’s just lovely game design.

I don’t think Valheim is particularly bad in that regard, AFAIK there’s no need to kill greylings for hour upon hour until you get that rare 0.3% drop or level your skill to a particular level.

It's not even that long though. Like I said, 100 pieces of iron is all you really need to move through and that doesn't take too long. If you needed to fully upgrade everything to max tier you're looking at a hell of an actual "grind". I pulled 90 iron out of one crypt.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ravenfood posted:

It's not even that long though. Like I said, 100 pieces of iron is all you really need to move through and that doesn't take too long. If you needed to fully upgrade everything to max tier you're looking at a hell of an actual "grind". I pulled 90 iron out of one crypt.

Sure, but if you’re playing with a group of like 5 people that’s a bunch of iron, and 90 is an outstandingly lucky crypt - we found some with as little as 20-30.

Iron is really where the games biome RNG and progression system clash. You either get lucky and find some huge swamp with 20 crypts and it’s a non issue, or you spend days of playtime looking for swamps with even just one crypt, let alone enough to kit out the squad.

We ended up cheesing bonemass with a tower and arrows because after 3 or 4 days of exploring swamps and still only having enough iron for one or two of us to have gear, it was just less of a grind to fill a cart up with arrows and do the needful vs exploring more empty swamps. Even as someone who enjoyed the swamps atmosphere, the crypts get really boring after the first few - they’re not a risk, the enemies aren’t difficult, it’s just tedious.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Floppychop posted:

So you should be able to complete the whole game with leather armor and flint weapons? (hyperbole, but you get what I'm saying)

Many games have a component where you need to farm something to progress, this isn't something that's new or unique. It sounds like you're not a fan of those games, which is okay. But many people like those styles of games.

As I think I was quite clear about, the general objective should be to ensure that the progression of capability and progression of difficulty line up without you having to interrupt one to catch up with the other. So if the difficulty increases more sharply then the capability should do so as well. Given that the game has gone to the effort of including better equipment and doesn't really have any other form of progression I would suggest making the equipment more accessible.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i think progression should be harder and everyone that doesn't like it can just cheat

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

cams posted:

i think progression should be harder and everyone that doesn't like it can just cheat

I still think they should have a creative, normal and hardcore mode for worlds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also be fine with making the progression more interesting so that you are more inclined to do it but I think that is probably outside the game's capability. As it stands I lose interest in the grind once the game hits the swamp.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The swamp definitely hurts the momentum. In general, I'm ok with the grind to each biome tech for progression. It's nice to have reasons to do things in a sandboxy game, and it's really nice to play a game that isn't on rails the whole time.

I think Bonemass gets a bad rap because grinding crypts isn't fun after the first one, so a lot of people end up under prepared. Grinding silver and whatever else at least has the fun of exploration and wolf taming.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I definitely think the first 5-20 hours of the game are by far the best. I honestly don't know if I gained anything from the ocean, swamp, mountain, or plains biomes. Except that if the game didn't progress then the meadows and black forest would feel a bit pointless. I don't know if it's specifically the swamp itself or if it's more that the swamp is the first time you're really getting to understand the way the world works. Before then you're just tooling about in your start island and maybe hopping to a couple nearby ones.

But then I felt about the same in Minecraft - that first bit of the game is really fun and then the (to me) pointless nature of it just saps my will to continue. I guess procedural biomes just don't really do it for me. I want something more concrete. I want actual locations, not just "here is a swamp, it is a swamp" but "here is <x place> it is set in a swamp biome and..." There's still time for Valheim to become more interesting to me beyond the first bit but I'm getting the feeling it's not intending to be that thing.

Still glad I played Valheim I feel like it's a decent step in the right direction and was worth the time and money for what I got. But I'm left looking for a proper fix.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Glass of Milk posted:

I still think they should have a creative, normal and hardcore mode for worlds.

Yeah some configurable options for this would be good.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I guess just the style of how I play games made me handle Bonemass fine.

Fill a Karve with iron scrap -> realize I'll need more than that so build a Longship and sail it to a swamp -> fill Longship completely with iron scrap (my brain says I'm wasting the space otherwise) -> end up with about 600 iron ingots

It was more than enough for iron gear and even carried me through building mountain gear. Though I think I had to do another run for padded armor and going nuts with iron-wood.

Granted, I never step into the swamps unless I need iron/chain. That biome is miserable.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Heffer posted:

Here's a visual guide. You can see how you trade horizontal width for vertical width with ironwood, and how you can go 8 high with stone but only 1 or 2 wide because it has low horizontal support.

From this it looks like ironwood is just the best at everything. But also crazy expensive. So build most things using corewood. Only use other materials for looks.

Is there any reason to build out of stone?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks cool.

It is also good for intersecting with terrain because the blocks are large.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

From this it looks like ironwood is just the best at everything. But also crazy expensive. So build most things using corewood. Only use other materials for looks.

Is there any reason to build out of stone?

Things like the kiln and smelter have to be built on the ground or stone. Other than that yes it is basically just a choice between wood walls and stone walls.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The big reasons to build with stone are:
- it looks good
- it isn't gradually made to look bad by rain
- it's a LOT easier to farm for than ironwood

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Stone also counts as a roof, whereas wood floors do not

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I've said it once, I'll say it again. The Swamp is the Diablo 2 act 3 of the game.

Or the sewer level in any other video game, but much longer. Least there's no valve/water draining puzzles.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Just horrible, horrible squelching noises, constantly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's fairly literally a sewer level in this game because you spend all your time crawling around in green water underground digging literal mounds of poo poo for metal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's fairly literally a sewer level in this game because you spend all your time crawling around in green water underground digging literal mounds of poo poo for metal.

Please, those are crypts, people are buried there.

In mounds of garbage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You know, it's kind of weird that peat isn't a swamp resource. Maybe they should let you build incredibly long-lasting/permanent torches with it.

Or stand-in for coal, just to avoid that little grind too.

E: vvv yeah but...peat! I don't know, it feels like it should be something useful.

E2: also it does irritate me that some ruined structures can't be restored. There is a black forest ruined tower where the stairs don't work, and a swamp waterline drowned tower where you can't actually restore the circular staircase in a loop either.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 3, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That's what surtling spawns are for ;)

I really do find some of the world building a little odd, though, from that perspective. The things that are and aren't resources are strange, you see wrecked beds but never wrecked workbenches, you see stone buildings but never stonecutters, wrecked or otherwise, etc etc etc. It doesn't bother much much, but it's a little odd.

I really feel like there's a missing element of other people, especially in solo. I'd love if if I could build rooms, terraria style, and have other dead Vikings spawn in to sleep there, who i could give commands to automate some of the grinding - because in single player i feel like the balance is pitched just a little high, it takes a lot of hours of grinding, and hours of grinding take hours of maintenance, etc etc etc.

Similarly if there could be a point in the game where you could build a habitat for Haldor and just have him show up there, instead of trying to find him.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wish I had a supercart with less storage but a built in workbench/stonecutter I could pull around to make roads and walls with.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Wouldn't fixing a stonecutter out in the open be a metroid-esque sequence break? Man if you could find a random forge somewhere that'd totally be a situational speedrun strat.

Rectovagitron posted:

I wish I had a supercart with less storage but a built in workbench/stonecutter I could pull around to make roads and walls with.

If they made a cart I could climb a 90 degree vertical wall with I wouldn't even be mad.

If it's not apparent, I'm perpetually salty I didn't build my ultra mega base near the water.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Rectovagitron posted:

Something like the Crafty Carts mod? I haven't used it myself, but it looks like what you're after.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I actually enjoy the swamp and peacefully mining scrap iron without constantly respawning wolves and drakes and greydwarves attacking me. Plus the thistle and blood bags and chains you get, as well as the iron, are useful through the current endgame. For me the mountains and plains go by way too fast since there isn't much to do with their materials. You make your weapons and armor and tame your wolves and then you're just done with them beyond going back to get lox meat from time to time.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beats for junkies posted:

Something like the Crafty Carts mod? I haven't used it myself, but it looks like what you're after.

Nice, thanks!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have fully upgraded copper set of armor, plus fully upgraded sword+shield. That was a grind.

Swamp still ruins me if I get by any poisons.

So now I need to grind out the cooking branch to get poison resist and faster hp+stamina regen.

I get that the loop of the game is: grind to get gear -> kill tougher stuff -> grind to get better gear... but I think yeah. Swamp biome has too high of a barrier to entry.

Think I'm done with Valheim for now. It was a fun ride.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would recommend just cheating stuff in. Unless you don't enjoy the building part because yeah other than that it is kind of a big grind.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

cams posted:

Harder or longer? I tend to enjoy harder progression because challenge is fun, but most of the current progression isn't particularly hard, just tedious. It's tedium I mostly enjoy, aside from iron, but it's not hard.

Blaise330 posted:

Wouldn't fixing a stonecutter out in the open be a metroid-esque sequence break? Man if you could find a random forge somewhere that'd totally be a situational speedrun strat.

Sequence breaking is fun, but even if they didn't want that I don't even think the broken beds are repairable, are they? So the tables probably wouldn't be either.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Blaise330 posted:

There's a reason I said wrecked, you can't fix broken beds, you have to smash them and build a replacement, and I'd assume it would drop no iron when broken.

Mobile workbenches would be amazing as an addition - as long as they have enough levels to actually work, if they're only level one they're only useful for making/repairing gear very early on.

That's my current sticking point actually - I'm mid-Silver, I've got all my Silver gear up to the level where I can't upgrade it without either carrying 35 iron to my base in the mountains (via an ocean trip and I believe, two runs, since I think that much iron takes more weight than one viking can carry even with Megingjord and only trollhide armour and no weapons) to make the forge upgrades, or carrying... however much silver it takes... I checked, it's 112 to get a single set of silver gear (i.e. Frostner, Draugr Fang, 4 armour pieces, shield) to current max level from max non-iron forge upgrades level. And I really don't wanna try soloing the plains without max level silver gear, especially the weapons given they're not getting replaced most likely, and the bow definitely isn't.

And either way, that's a huge amount of work. And that's before I think about trying to carry all the eggs to wherever the Moder spawn is - or finding the spawn and sourcing them locally.

And either way, that's a lot of running and a lot of sailing and I don't particularly enjoy sailing.

So I either have to go with what I've got now and likely die a bunch as a result, do something I don't enjoy for a long while, or stop until the next update and I'm leaning towards the last thing.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Carts are very good for silver mining, so good that I ended up with way too much silver. Fill it up and push it off, express delivery to your mountain-side base!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I just built a little smeltery and forge in the mountains, cores are easy to move around. I ended up porting the iron up, turns out you can carry all 35 with one stack of small potions (or, more accurately, half a stack of each), Megingjord, and full Trollhide on so you don't die to a single hit. Would have helped to take some Frost Resist first, but you know, that's what health potions are for.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
35 iron is 350 weight units. You can carry that in one run with Meginjord.

Upgrading armor and weapons seems like a trap, honestly, except for troll armor and the Finewood bow. It just makes people do a fuckton more mining for minimal gain, especially since it just slows your progression to the next tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I have fully upgraded copper set of armor, plus fully upgraded sword+shield. That was a grind.

Swamp still ruins me if I get by any poisons.

So now I need to grind out the cooking branch to get poison resist and faster hp+stamina regen.

I get that the loop of the game is: grind to get gear -> kill tougher stuff -> grind to get better gear... but I think yeah. Swamp biome has too high of a barrier to entry.

Think I'm done with Valheim for now. It was a fun ride.

Are you playing solo? Come hop on the fresh goon server i just posted the discord to. We arent even as kitted as you but like to do a lot of the cooking and building stuff

Also for silver upgrading your forge doesn't need to be maxed. You do have to bring iron up but not much, I think it's like 10

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 4, 2021