Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bwahahahahaha. I cannot WAIT.

Also, RIP Blaze Jordan, a legend indeed in all other OOTP timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Are any of these guys especially good at avoiding K's? I'd love to see us put together a team that has no one over 100 Ks in a full season of AB. It'd be a challenge, though.

I just took a look at this -- I'm honestly not sure it is possible.

For example, Benny has a 70 "avoid K's" tool, and consistently strikes out right around 90-100 times per year. There's a total of 18 guys on earth who have an 80 "avoid K's" tool, and only two of them -- Keibert Ruiz and Wander Franco -- are viable MLB starters.

It looking this up, I did come across the legendary Willians Astudillo, who is still making a go of it at age 34. He just finished a season as a backup catcher where he slashed 301/344/451...with 4 K's in 163 PAs. ...nice.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spring Training 2026

League News

Dumb fucks in the Hall won't put in Ichiro and Beltre. Still.

Kind of a slow offseason. Only two 9 figure contracts, Eloy Jiminez and Aaron Civale. Neither are worth it in my opinion.

Darwinzon Hernandez only gets 2/10. Maybe we should've kept that guy.

The Dominican Republic beats the US in the WCB finals, with the victory at the expense of Wacky Jack. Francisco Mejia is named MVP of the tournament.

Team News

We put a few players on World Cup of Baseball teams, including:

Benny and Bobbie, Leiter, Rocker -- USA
J-Rod - Dominican

Curiously, Sinner is left off of the Japan roster, I have no idea why. But, I'll take it. Who needs international baseball putting miles on our elite pitchers' arms?

An old legend -- Salvador Perez -- is still unemployed as spring training begins. Pete still thinks the guy can crush the ball -- especially lefties -- and his defense is still top-notch. We offer him a no-risk deal of 2 years, $25m, with the second year optional. He'll step in as a team leader and will offset the risk of all our young catchers sucking it up.

We suffer a couple of injuries in ST, but nothing long-term to any major players. The worst is J-Rod simultaneously hurting his hand and his oblique -- just to be safe, we put him on the IL until the season starts.

We have several new names on the roster this year:

Mario Zabala finally makes the team out of ST, and slides right into center field...relegating Kyle Lewis to a DH and 4th OF role. He may be displeased with this.

Trevor Haskins is an all-glove utility infielder, taking the place of our longtime super utilityman Dylan Moore.

Austin Shenton finally makes the big club full-time as our backup 1B/3B.

Nolan Schubart steps in as backup bat and COF. And...the guy who might pitch if we're down double digits.

Kimble Schuessler is our young C, here to learn from Salvy the Great.

Erick Rivera and Montana Semmel make the big club bullpen.

And of course, Sinner.

Opening Day Roster

1. Benny Rodriguez - SS
2. Bobby Witt Jr. - 3B
3. Julio Rodriguez - RF
4. Kaden Moeller - 1B
5. Kyle Lewis - DH
6. Josh Lowe - LF
7. Drew Bowser - 2B
8. Mario Zabala - CF
9. Salvador Perez - C

Kimble Schuessler - C
Austin Shenton - 1B/3B
Trevor Haskins - 2B/SS
Nolan Schubart - 1B/OF

1. Jack Leiter
2. Kumar Rocker
3. Sam Hliboki
4. Logan Gilbert
5. Nick Mears

Usaburo Konishi - CL
Erik Rivera - L
Emerson Hancock
Burl Carraway - L
Montana Semmel
Brett De Geus
Logan Rinehart
Parker Wright
Nolan Schubart

Juan Galindo remains the #2 overall prospect behind some guy named...Josh Gibson. He's still years away from the majors but he's looking like a superstar in waiting.

We're predicted to win 100 games.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 2, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, our BALLPARK RENOVATIONS are complete. They added about 2500 seats bringing our total capacity to 49,629. The park should play almost exactly the same; maybe a few more doubles to left and left center thanks to a little salient created by the remodeled bullpen.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

bewbies posted:

It looking this up, I did come across the legendary Willians Astudillo, who is still making a go of it at age 34. He just finished a season as a backup catcher where he slashed 301/344/451...with 4 K's in 163 PAs. ...nice.

Too bad about the concept, but holy cow La Tortuga got his "brotherhood of the backup catcher" membership! He'll be around for another 5 years! I love him.

Here's him when they asked him to pitch an inning to save the bullpen during a blowout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jotbKXA35vU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finally, entering the draft this year we have Pedro Uribe.

He's best remembered as an overweight 3B who could smack the ball...but what if he'd started his career tossing his legendary knuckleball that nearly got him back to the majors in his mid-40s?

Face it, the game needs more knuckleballers.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm all for a Knuckledraft of Hoyt Wilhelm, the Neikro brothers, Tom Candiotti, Tim Wakefield, and RA Dickey replacing the best pitching prospects one year.

Are the Frackers now affiliated with the Phillies or one of the NY teams?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2026 All Star Game
July 14, 2026
61-30, .670. 1st Place, AL West

League News

In true Rays fashion, as Wander Franco nears the end of his TC days, he's traded for spare parts to the White Sox. He hasn't quite reached his lofty potential as yet, but the Sox sign him to a megabuck extension and are rewarded by a stunning first half.

Old favorite Ha-Seong Kim leads the league in WAR early on.

KC gets Jarred Kelenic to sign on the dotted line; a whopping 8/272 deal.

GC Stanton blows up his knee -- that may be it for the old slugger.

A rejuvenated Mike Trout wins batter of the month in May.

Pedro Uribe is the most argued-about draft prospect in years. He throws two pitches: an 80 mph fastball, and a knuckleball. But, his high school stats are arguably the best anyone's put up in the modern era against quality competition: 147 IP, 342 Ks, 3 ER, 2 HR against. Some analysts think it is crazy to think his knuckleball will knuckle against pros like it did versus high schoolers, but some think he has the stuff to get it done.

Team News

Sam Delaplane refuses a minors assignment; we send him off to Miami for more or less nothing to avoid paying his $3 million salary. He's been a reliable reliever for us for a while. :(

Mario Zabala breaks his hand early; he can't seem to stay healthy. We call up 14th round pick Blake Robertson for his cup of coffee.

Soon after, Nolan Schubart goes down for a month, and we're more or less out of major-league level bats ready for callup. We go to the free agent wire and sign Roberto "General" Ramos, AAA and KBO superstar, to swing the bat and maybe play 1B if things get dire.

Our bats seriously struggle through the spring - only Bats and J-Rod are really hitting the ball well. Our pitching is on-point from the get-go, and we hang in with an Angels team that starts off on absolute fire. Bowser in particular is just putrid with the bat all spring.

After we catch them, the Angels match our pace in the summer and we're in a tight pennant race by the end of June.

J-Rod puts up his best numbers as a pro; he's just killing the ball right now.

Bad news for Chris Keating; the kid we had penciled in as our future closer abruptly loses 5 mph on his fastball and now looks like a washout.

We have the money for an international amateur signing this year! Pete recommends Alex "Heartbreaker" Manzano, a big, lanky COF prospect with elite contact/OBP potential, and maybe some power down the line as he fills out a bit.

In the draft we snap up Pete Marty, who looks like a really solid COF bat...and not much else. But, as a college senior, he should be ML-ready later this season or next, and at a position of need.

In the 2nd, we take Yua Aho, a rangy CF prospect who has blazing speed and a plus glove, and might just develop some pop as he gets some ML instruction.

Some guy named Mike Trout beat out Bobby Bats in the finals of the Home Run Derby.

Our all stars:

Emerson Hancock (what a great season for him so far)
Jack Leiter
Kumar Rocker
Bobby Bats
J-Rod

Roster Moves

First, we have some potential holes to fill on offense. Kaden Moeller hasn't been BAD, but he's a big step down from Kirilloff. Dom Smith is on the trading block, and can be had for either a couple B prospects or Kyle Lewis. He's in a $14m AAV deal right now, and has a player option for next year. Pete thinks Moeller has the stuff to be an elite hitter, but hasn't quite put it together yet.

Second, Kumar Rocker appears to have settled in and is happily dominating now that he's out of Pittsburgh. His arbitration number is increasing week-by-week. Do we want to extend him? We have the money, but that's a LOT of salary to be tied up in 3 starting pitchers. 3...very good starting pitchers. We'd probably be looking at $25m+ AAV for 6-7 years, but man is that guy a workhorse.

VOTE

1. Go after Dom Smith? Or let Moeller keep working?

2. Extend Rocker?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh, and let's not overlook SINNERS first half-season in the majors. He gives up some dingers, but that K rate is comical.

In his last appearance before the break, he faced the Blue Jays in the 9th with a 2 run lead. He struck out Springer with a 102mph fastball, Joc Pederson with a 101 mph fastball, and got Yoelqui Cespedes to hit a weak grounder to 2B with a 102 mph fastball....

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

1. Go for Dom Smith
2. Extend Rocker

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Keep Moeller. Pete Believes. I just can't in good conscience let that wheeling and dealing in the offseason be for naught.

Extend. Pitching, pitching, pitching.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

rickiep00h posted:

Keep Moeller. Pete Believes. I just can't in good conscience let that wheeling and dealing in the offseason be for naught.

Extend. Pitching, pitching, pitching.

Not an empty quote.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Keep Moeller, he's cheap.

We can't afford the extension AND the downpayment on my private 787-800.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2026 Playoffs
October 5, 2026
107-55, .660. 1st Place, AL West

League News

"Mike Trout" hits his 500th dinger.

Acuna Jr has a season for the ages.

Jarred "loving" Kelenic has a torrid September to take the WAR title -- and probably MVP, again -- away from either Bats or J-Rod.

Dan Quisenberry has come up as a starter, and out of nowhere wins September Pitcher of the Month. He still can't touch 90and hasn't yet developed the pinpoint control he was legendary for in real life, but he's getting lots of groundball outs....

The Angels fade in the fall, leaving the AL West to us once again.

The Cardinals and White Sox put together the best seasons other than ours.

The Oakland A's have one of the worst seasons in modern baseball history. They join the 2003 Tigers and 2018 Orioles as the only post-WWII big league clubs to post a sub-300 win percentage. Their two top WAR players -- Matt Olson and Sean Murphy -- both hit .213, and every single one of their pitchers with 60+ innings -- EVERY SINGLE ONE -- has an ERA above 5. I guess the good news is their farm system is...18th overall. They also called up Josh Gibson for...(checks notes)...9 games at age 19, send him back to rookie ball, and only got him 35 games of playing time this season.

MONEYBALL

Team News

The Red Wings come to us with a deadline deal: RP Diego Castillo for a nothing prospect. Truly, the Miami way, even if the name has changed. Castillo is an elite reliever and will play well in our pen in the playoffs. We DFA Logan Rinehart to make room; that's probably the end of Logan's Mariners tenure.

The Kumar Rocker negotiations go very poorly. He wants north of $30 mil AAV over 8 years, we're more like $25m mil over 6. We break off after a week of back and forth sniping, but still have plenty of time to get a potential deal done.

Ricky Velez enters pro ball and gets...destroyed. He may not make it out of rookie ball. That was $5 million well spent, hope he buys a boat or something with it.

In better news, we now have 4 outfield prospects in the top 70, and two have the same name, and 3 have names that start with "A", and I'm having a hard time telling them apart: Alex Renteria, Alex Manzano, Alfredo Quintero, and Pete Marty.

Kimble Schuessler shows a fantastic bat and takes over full-time catching duties against righties from Salvy. He's looking like our Catcher of the Future.

We slow down a lot through the late summer. We're being propelled largely by 3 players: Rocker, Leiter, Bats, and J-Rod.

Mario Zabala goes down -- again -- for the rest of the season with a late September ankle sprain.

Bobby Bats misses a 40/40 season by one measly home run. ONE.

Wacky Jack wins the Pitching Triple Crown (Wins/Ks/ERA), though technically he had the same number of Ks as his teammate Rocker.

Also this guy worked his way up from the very bottom of our system and made it to Tacoma. He's not ML material but his beard is legendary.

We await the Cheatin' Stros in the ALDS.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 5, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

We slow down a lot through the late summer. We're being propelled largely by 3 players: Rocker, Leiter, Bats, and J-Rod.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I stand by that assessment.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I really don't want to have to give up Rocker. gently caress that dude's good.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

Jarred "loving" Kelenic has a torrid September to take the WAR title -- and probably MVP, again -- away from either Bats or J-Rod.

This is the last year Kelenic is likely to be with the Royals, right? Or did they extend him? I'm intrigued by this storyline. It's like if Mookie Betts had been traded for Nolan Arenado before the 2015 season.

bewbies posted:

Ricky Velez enters pro ball and gets...destroyed. He may not make it out of rookie ball. That was $5 million well spent, hope he buys a boat or something with it.

Hah! After taxes he's only got half of that, and you might as well buy a rowboat for what you can get for $2.5m.

Apropos my skinflint owner routine, is there a way to up the difficulty? It might just be that you're extremely good at OOTP, but I feel like Scoutin' Pete's unerring eye makes finding talent really easy and they've (mostly) developed as hoped... and we haven't had players just fall off a cliff at young ages/get hurt for long stretches like happens in real life. The playoffs are still a crapshoot, but this team as set up seems like it could keep things rolling for like 5+ years of 90+ wins.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I see Preciado is already at full power, but goddamn I love Wacky Jack.

Castro makes me think we should get more failed baseball prospects who went on to other things like Kurt Russell

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thordain posted:

I see Preciado is already at full power, but goddamn I love Wacky Jack.

Castro makes me think we should get more failed baseball prospects who went on to other things like Kurt Russell

How is this man not your go to for that example

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

How is this man not your go to for that example

I was trying to remember which wrestler it was and gave up.

Put both of em in

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

This is the last year Kelenic is likely to be with the Royals, right? Or did they extend him? I'm intrigued by this storyline. It's like if Mookie Betts had been traded for Nolan Arenado before the 2015 season.

They dug up the money to extend him! I think it was in the vein of 8 years with $35m AAV.

They're also pretty bad though, so

quote:

Apropos my skinflint owner routine, is there a way to up the difficulty? It might just be that you're extremely good at OOTP, but I feel like Scoutin' Pete's unerring eye makes finding talent really easy and they've (mostly) developed as hoped... and we haven't had players just fall off a cliff at young ages/get hurt for long stretches like happens in real life. The playoffs are still a crapshoot, but this team as set up seems like it could keep things rolling for like 5+ years of 90+ wins.

This is a good question -- we've had a few incidents with long-term injuries (Mahle) and sucking (Hayes) so far, so good for the most part. It really helped that the Mariners farm was so loaded AND Leiter fell to us in the first draft; between the prospects we inherited (Kelenic --> Bats, J-Rod, Gilbert, Hancock, et al), Bennie developing well and Leiter panning out that's...basically the core of the current team.

That said, we've only won one championship, and the core will eventually start to show its age, plus we're still one of the poorer teams. So, wouldn't count chickens just yet.

Anyway, we can inject a...challenge...into this offseason, if the audience demands it. In fact, let's put this to a vote:

VOTE

A disaster befalls the ballclub!

1) Pete Ward, the last surviving American Civil War veteran, dies of extreme old age. The owner insists we replace him with his nephew Charles Leander "Bumpus" Jones IV, who cannot positively identify a baseball.

2) One of our star players has a "private family issue" and demands a trade.

3) Our owner dies suddenly and is replaced by his son, who is hell-bent on being the WORST owner in pro sports.

4) Actually, never mind, no disaster.

OR

The Oakland A's come calling. They offer us a minimal salary and no health insurance, but they do offer...a challenge. An epic challenge, in fact.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 5, 2021

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'd go either for option 4 or to the A's , the others seem too superficial for me. I don't mind us winning and I kinda would like to see how we rebuild after this good period passes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't you just import Pete from the previous LP where he had like maxed out scouting abilities? I think him just retiring/saying something to the owner that makes us fire him and us needing to replace him with an actual scout and deal with that is probably enough.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The issue with replacing Pete, as it were, is that it doesn't add any additional challenge now. We already have a super team built, so unless we immediately start wheeling and dealing en masse the ratings the new scout gives won't be relevant for quite a while.

Now, the medical staff getting shitcanned, on the other hand, that would bring the potential for an immediate challenge along with the guarantee of everlasting dread. Every player's suddenly more likely to miss games, more likely to miss more games, and more likely to suffer a decline in ability after missing games. Or maybe we get lucky and nothing seriously bad happens! We just won't know. And we'll never be sure. Ever.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oldskool posted:

The issue with replacing Pete, as it were, is that it doesn't add any additional challenge now. We already have a super team built, so unless we immediately start wheeling and dealing en masse the ratings the new scout gives won't be relevant for quite a while.

I don't agree, we may have a core signed long term but we've been cycling players in and out pretty frequently.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Well, I know the great state of Washington is thinking about Ranked Choice Voting, so in that vein:

1- Option A('s), the "Our poo poo doesn't work in the regular season"
2 - Option 3, the "Dan Snyder Jr."
3 - Option 1, the "Trouble with the Curve"
4 - Option 2, the "Benny and Bobby Break Up"

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't agree, we may have a core signed long term but we've been cycling players in and out pretty frequently.

Yeah, we've done very well trading off currently good but nearing end of arb players for new blood. The scout doesn't even have to be terrible, just an average one would make that a lot harder.

e: A bad medical staff would also be rough, it would mean we had to build a lot of depth. I'm not as big a fan of that option since it's a bit of a crapshoot and I don't want to be unfair.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 5, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't you just import Pete from the previous LP where he had like maxed out scouting abilities? I think him just retiring/saying something to the owner that makes us fire him and us needing to replace him with an actual scout and deal with that is probably enough.

In this version Pete's good, but he's not THAT good (having a maxxxed out scout is almost like a cheat code). That said, if we decide Pete's on his way out, we could probably convince the owner to not force Charles Leander "Bumpus" Jones IV on us.

oldskool posted:

Now, the medical staff getting shitcanned, on the other hand, that would bring the potential for an immediate challenge along with the guarantee of everlasting dread. Every player's suddenly more likely to miss games, more likely to miss more games, and more likely to suffer a decline in ability after missing games. Or maybe we get lucky and nothing seriously bad happens! We just won't know. And we'll never be sure. Ever.

Scouting is a pretty big deal throughout -- not just for prospects and trades, but deciding who gets playing time in the minors, how the ML roster/lineups look, and backing any number of relatively minor transactions.

That said a bad medical staff could be brutal.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Definitely option A's

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Option A's for sure. We built a juggernaut, now let's go fight it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'd rather see the wheels fall off after father time comes for our team's position.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Option A's

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
gently caress it, let's do the A's

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A's. I am become Theo Goonstein, destroyer of curses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
either the A's or Door 3, James Dolan take the wheel baby

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I vote option 1

It’s too soon to jump ship to the a’s

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

A is for "Adventure."

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
The best way to play OOTP is to build up a super team and then immediately head to the worst possible team as soon as you win the world series.

With that said, join the A's

(The 2nd best way is to play the smallest ball possible and have 70+ contact in every position and bat above .300 as a team)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If we move Let's replace our owner and scout, if possible, with one C Montgomery Burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
A's