Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Weird that they specify the race of a human trafficking vic-

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/03/south-carolina-restaurant-manager-black-man-enslaved-double-restitution-court

Oh nope it was literally a white man enslaving a black man and abusing him and calling him racial slurs like it's antebellum times :stare:

Edit: lol what a top post here's my dog for the nth time

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DarkCrawler posted:

Weird that they specify the race of a human trafficking vic-

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/03/south-carolina-restaurant-manager-black-man-enslaved-double-restitution-court

Oh nope it was literally a white man enslaving a black man and abusing him and calling him racial slurs like it's antebellum times :stare:

the south is incredibly racist even by american standards

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

The real question is did they use two cameras for a shot of Mark eating plain toast, or did they do two takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLSlGmVrmuM

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

Well ... not exactly.

I’ve been unemployed since the end of Feb. If I go to the exchange they say “Go on Medi-Cal.” But Medi-Cal doesn’t just look at income, they look at savings. So back to the exchange my insurance would be close to $1k a month.

Hello Health Share.

(Because I’ll hit Medicare by the end of the year anyway).

And I won’t go into how CA Unemployment Insurance is totally fouled up.

I'm sorry to hear that about CA. In NY, when they put me on Medicaid, I said, uhh... do I qualify for this based on my assets and savings? They don't look at that here, at least when be applying via the ACA, but I know for a fact that they looked at savings for Medicaid before the ACA.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Loving the "can you believe this poo poo?" energy of the woman on the left :lol:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Everyone not Zuck looks like they were told some unappetizing news.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Gaj posted:

Yeah, that they were going to be in a photo op with Zuck.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

The real question is did they use two cameras for a shot of Mark eating plain toast, or did they do two takes.

Looks like the first angle has a piece of toast still on the plate and the other angle doesn't.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gaj posted:

Ha, yeah they were told they were going to be-

Velocity Raptor posted:

Yeah, that they were going to be in a photo op with Zuck.

Aw damnit ya beat me too it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

About 30% of U.S. adults are unlikely to ever get the COVID vaccine and states are now hitting supply gluts where they have enough vaccines for everyone, but people are opting out.

A majority of adults in Wyoming, North Dakota, Mississippi, and Tennessee say they won't get the vaccine.

This is true, but it doesn't mean it can't change. Remember, a poll is a snapshot in time. There might be people now who say they won't get the vaccine who, as more people get it, especially people they know and trust, or who talk to their doctors about it, will change their minds.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

About 30% of U.S. adults are unlikely to ever get the COVID vaccine and states are now hitting supply gluts where they have enough vaccines for everyone, but people are opting out.

A majority of adults in Wyoming, North Dakota, Mississippi, and Tennessee say they won't get the vaccine.

Intended vaccination rates fluctuate wildly across the country, from as low as 46% to up to 91%, and it is not evenly distributed. That means that parts of the country will have significant outbreaks for years and herd immunity is essentially impossible in the U.S. as variants of the virus mutate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html?partner=slack&smid=sl-share

It sure would help things if an entire political party and ideology didn't do stupid petty dipshit garbage like spread conspiracy theories, declare wearing a mask the "Next Holocaust", and encouraging the most stupid people imaginable to gain leadership.

Like reminder that the previous Administration purposely allowed blue states to not receive life saving equipment and supplies and people to die, because it would hurt his opponent's election chances, and somehow, that motherfucker and every one of his lackeys isn't in the Hague

Congrats to the GOP on their long running goal of killing the current US one way or another I guess :shrug:

Sounds like based on those vaccination numbers it will mostly affect red states though, which seems contrary to their stated goal of "Owning the Libs"

How many people have to die unnecessarily before we put a stop to this madness and hold these power hungry loons accountable for loving something?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 3, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Grammarchist posted:

The EPA is proposing a rule to phase down HFC emissions by 85% over the next 15 years. It's actually got some strong support in the business community, so hopefully it actually goes smoothly without a mess of lawsuits.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/overnights/551432-epa-to-propose-rule-slashing-hydrofluorocarbons-use

huh, i thought most hfc's were phased out in the wake of the signing of the montreal protocols. i guess there is still some legacy usage that this rule making is going to wrap up?

edit: whoops it was cfc's that were phased out, and hfc's replaced them. memory lapse on the acronyms

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 3, 2021

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Gonna be honest that period was the most humanizing I've ever seen Zuck. Because if I had billions of dollars and was world famous I would 100% just hang out with random farmers or whatever and break into someone's house to raid their fridge.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd live in a literal ivory tower and grow out my hair and nails like Monty Burns

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

amanda chase winning the gop nom in the va governor's race would be extremely funny because she's quite unpopular within her own party and it would accelerate the implosion of what's left of the va republican party because half of them are bush-era republicans who 100% voted or biden and loathe trump (and particularly loathe chase, who keeps forcing them to answer embarrassing questions with her antics).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Owlspiracy posted:

amanda chase winning the gop nom in the va governor's race would be extremely funny because she's quite unpopular within her own party and it would accelerate the implosion of what's left of the va republican party because half of them are bush-era republicans who 100% voted or biden and loathe trump (and particularly loathe chase, who keeps forcing them to answer embarrassing questions with her antics).

Are there really republicans who don't fall in line for whatever poo poo sandwich is served up to them? I'm sure a majority of Trump-loathers voted for him in 2020, at least nationally. The key is that they'll never hate a republican who's running more than they will want to avoid having the democrat win.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Are there really republicans who don't fall in line for whatever poo poo sandwich is served up to them? I'm sure a majority of Trump-loathers voted for him in 2020, at least nationally. The key is that they'll never hate a republican who's running more than they will want to avoid having the democrat win.

yes, in 2018 corey stewart (a trump wannabe) won the republican primary for the senate and most of the party leadership resigned in protest and they've never really recovered organizationally since then (and, in fact have gotten worse). losing essentially all of their experience and sane leadership has rapidly accelerated a change started by general demographic and political shifts - and is a big part why warner won by 13% when 6 years earlier he barely eke'd out a win. moderate republicans in va are a dying breed: their districts are shifting around them so they've tried to move to the middle (including crossing aisles to vote for things like medicaid expansion and criminal justice reform), then lose primaries to insane nutjobs (particularly when the primaries are specifically designed to help the nutjob candidates) who then lose in a general election. in state level politics having experience leadership - experience in the sense of 'knowing how to raise money and run a campaign' is extremely important, and 2016-2018 was a massive brain drain which killed any chance for the republicans to really... ever come back.

if you look at the state level results they show much bigger losses than the overall partisan shift of the state.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wow! I sure wish that would happen in other states. Maybe it is.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

well, its probably the one example of the gop civil war actually happening that we always hypothesize about. i think a big part of the driving force is that state level party officials generally aren't doing this for their fulltime job, and in va at least - where most people live and work in nova - being tied to a toxic trump-style candidate is poison to any personal prospects you might have.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

It's semantics. There very much are people who voted for Bush, McCain, Romney, and then voted for Democrats in 2018 and 2020. If there weren't, Trump would have been reelected. The question is whether you call them Republicans or Democrats.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone accidentally buttered the first piece of toast which blew out its left side mandibular servos, they had to rebuild the head and neck for the second shot and comp it together to get the eat cycle to look convincing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

California's shift from purple to solid blue was accelerated by a similar event, when republican governor Pete Wilson doubled down on an anti-immigrant proposition and turbocharged hispanic activism in the state.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
There’s Breaking News that someone has attacked the CIA headquarters in Langley Virginia.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Michigan is starting to see this, but unfortunately our state Legislature is pretty much a lock for the GOP unless a massive shift happens, as the Red areas of this state are like West Virginia/ Alabama Red, and our blue areas are far more populous, but have some regressive holdouts on a couple cultural things, and brain drain is really affecting the state.

The state GOP is a massive joke right now though to everyone not MI GOP, and I really doubt they will have a competitive Governor pick against Whitmer for all of their sabotaging, since they have gone EXTREMELY Pro-Trump to appeal to their lunatic evangelical base in the Chud Lands outside of the cities.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Al-Saqr posted:

There’s Breaking News that someone has attacked the CIA headquarters in Langley Virginia.

Thoughts and prayers

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/mediaite/status/1389311787020034050?s=21

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

So... a person got lost and decided to ask one of the guards to use the restrooms?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Boy, someone was really upset by this Tweet

https://twitter.com/cia/status/1387431636732633089?s=21

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

Michigan is starting to see this, but unfortunately our state Legislature is pretty much a lock for the GOP unless a massive shift happens, as the Red areas of this state are like West Virginia/ Alabama Red, and our blue areas are far more populous, but have some regressive holdouts on a couple cultural things, and brain drain is really affecting the state.

The state GOP is a massive joke right now though to everyone not MI GOP, and I really doubt they will have a competitive Governor pick against Whitmer for all of their sabotaging, since they have gone EXTREMELY Pro-Trump to appeal to their lunatic evangelical base in the Chud Lands outside of the cities.

I mean to put your problem in another way: your state legislature is gerrymandered to all hell and back.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

I've been hearing complaints about property prices going up and anecdotally know a few previous MI residents who relocated to California have moved back because of covid accelerating the whole permanent remote employee thing, are you seeing any of this on the ground in any numbers that might matter electorally (they're all Dems).

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
What’s the thread title referencing? My first thought was a trump tweet and I know it’s not possible but ugh those five years poisoned my brain

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

What’s the thread title referencing? My first thought was a trump tweet and I know it’s not possible but ugh those five years poisoned my brain

Grassley tweet.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Probably just a single kook rambling insane nonsense

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Oracle posted:

I've been hearing complaints about property prices going up and anecdotally know a few previous MI residents who relocated to California have moved back because of covid accelerating the whole permanent remote employee thing, are you seeing any of this on the ground in any numbers that might matter electorally (they're all Dems).

Lemme know if true, because, lord, if I could get California wages and still live in Michigan, I would fly over once a month or week or whatever the hell. gently caress this killing myself over less than 20 dollars an hour noise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pontius Pilate posted:

https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/status/1388896548227006465

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oracle posted:

Not really from what I've seen. Weed legalization happened, and the state is trending blue overall, but as Evilweasel put it "we are gerrymandered to hell and back" so the GOP shift of power in the Legislature doesn't change much from a few people relocating for work. We are supposed to get some new maps for redistricting that are nonpartisan at some point, but who knows if that got held up or hijacked by our loons in the Legislature. The GOP at this point try to rule the state from the chamber despite massive unpopularity outside of the Fundie West Coast and Militia Loons up north, and in direct contradiction with whatever Whitmer is doing to combat the virus.

Our other huge issue is a fundamental lack of industry, which is part of the brain drain. In Michigan, you either go into Medical, Finance, Education, or (most people) some scion of the auto industry. And the auto industry fights tooth and nail to prevent any other viable industries getting in, and the boomers who work or retired from the automotive industries refuse to vote to create anything new, so young people who want to go into new tech sector stuff or industries just get the gently caress out of here. We tried the film stuff for a while but it completely failed.

This state has A LOT of Olds and Retirees, and a lot of them have winter homes in Florida, so there's a lot of crossover between their lovely olds and ours. The state is progressive on quite a few things, but the issues where the Olds are regressive they are EXTREMELY regressive.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Probably just a single kook rambling insane nonsense

Oracle posted:

Grassley tweet.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/blaireerskine/status/1389313897304399877?s=21

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

TulliusCicero posted:

We are supposed to get some new maps for redistricting that are nonpartisan at some point, but who knows if that got held up or hijacked by our loons in the Legislature.

There were attempts by the GOP to challenge the commission in court, but those failed. 2022's elections, from what I can find, will be conducted with the independent commission's new maps, not GOP gerrymandered ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

I didn't realize this till now but he is definitely doing that entire motion on a cue.

lol