Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Zenos and Fandaniel are a very interesting combo to me because they're basically the same dude, just one's mr cold murder-boner and the other's all flamboyant and extra. I'm looking forward to kicking the poo poo out of both of them in EW because as much as I loved Emet's 'the winner shall be the hero and the vanquished the villain' thing sometimes it's fun to just have a goddamn wild animal as your big bad. I'm sure we'll get a look at Fandaniel's past to flesh out the other Ascians and show how he got this way and that'll be nice I'm sure but really I genuinely think they knew as soon as they gave him Asahi's body they knew most of us would just look at him and go 'can't wait to punch that little bitch in the mouth this time'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

I miss when Zenos was going full Luca Blight. Hopefully we'll get more of that Zenos in Endwalker.

I think needing 3+ parties to kill him won't really work in an MMO.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I actually have no idea who Luca Blight is, but I can assure you needing multiple parties to kill something is pretty standard fare in an MMO.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"the power to transcend..."

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

OddObserver posted:

I think needing 3+ parties to kill him won't really work in an MMO.

The first-ever Alliance Trial. All three alliances are on separate platforms, and Zenos fights each alliance in turn. When he gets down to a certain HP threshhold, he moves to another platform and the previous alliance just fights Garlean trash mobs until he gets down to his last 10%. Fight ends in a Bozja-style one-on-one with whoever got assigned as the leader of Alliance C.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 3, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I actually have no idea who Luca Blight is, but I can assure you needing multiple parties to kill something is pretty standard fare in an MMO.

Please take some time to play Suikoden 2.
(And no, alliance raids give pretty much the opposite feel).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I assume he's a brand name you slap on a pretty boy murderer that makes the pretty boy murderer 20% cooler at this point.

My take is that Zenos Sucks but I am provisionally willing to get hype for The Writer of Shadowbringers doing something cool with him, even if I do hope that that something will not just be bringing us up to have The Final Battle With Him as the level 90 capper trial that ends the entire story. And if they do set that up, I am confident that they will set it up well and effectively so it will be an enjoyable experience, if perhaps one that would have been even better without, for instance, Zenos at the end of it.

Honestly it will make more sense if we cockblock the dude and are like "No, gently caress you. No fight for you."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"the power to transcend..."

Haveyouthe STRENGTH?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuCib9jVvI

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Haveyouthe STRENGTH?
As always:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuCib9jVvI

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I admit I would be more entertained by Zenos if he hadn't spent the entire last expansion sort of generically waiting around for us when being bored is, like, the one thing he hates most of all.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
ASMR or whatever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dT08dT74OU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I admit I would be more entertained by Zenos if he hadn't spent the entire last expansion sort of generically waiting around for us when being bored is, like, the one thing he hates most of all.

The issue is hes bored by everything that isn't us. So when the party starts im sure he's gonna be eating the scenery like the cutscene after.Ala Mhigo and The Menagerie. Dudes VA put in some stellar work there. Hell he was also great in the first ShB cutscene with him where he offed his dad.

I'm sure once the expac proper starts hes going to go back to shouting at us and hounding us all the time.

I can't wait to see Raha and Estiniens reactions to this weirdo constantly calling himself our dearest and closest friend.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 3, 2021

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

zenos will drop in on us, be level 99, and clown on us THREE times over

the last arc involves us hoping he'll pilot zodiark because it's the only way to delevel him to 90

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Vitamean posted:

zenos will drop in on us, be level 99, and clown on us THREE times over

the last arc involves us hoping he'll pilot zodiark because it's the only way to delevel him to 90

Zenos getting another cutscene win would quite possibly be the single worst thing they could do.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Zenos will get a victory on the log-in screen as you select your character.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eimi posted:

Zenos getting another cutscene win would quite possibly be the single worst thing they could do.
I would accept a cutscene win for Zenos under three conditions:

One, we are framed as sandbagging so one of our buddies can lure him into the interociter kill zone.
Two, basically as above, but it's to let them set up the white auracite.
Three, as he starts gloating, he throws up Jenova-ZENOS, which is the actual battle.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Eimi posted:

I hope he gets a full Beatrix level Quadrology of owns on us. 1st to show off how strong he's gotten 2nd to show off his new weapon 3rd to break us of hope and 4 to get into Zodiark/Eat Grape Rock Candy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe in Natsuko Ishikawa's proven ability to take an uninteresting character and make them a compelling antagonist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm hoping we don't fight him at all. Fighting is all he is, and we've moved past that. He's still a manchild screaming "FIGHT ME! FIGHT ME!" while the WoL is working to save the world. Why give him what he wants, and validate his childish idiocy?

I don't expect that to happen, but one can dream.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i would be super disappointed not to fight him because i, the gamer playing the game, think he would be a bomb-rear end fight with great lines

e: note this means I hope we don't do more solo duties with zenos because they're contractually obligated to make those exceedingly boring

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Countblanc posted:

i would be super disappointed not to fight him because i, the gamer playing the game, think he would be a bomb-rear end fight with great lines

e: note this means I hope we don't do more solo duties with zenos because they're contractually obligated to make those exceedingly boring
Sure, I just hope he's not like the climax trial.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nessus posted:

Sure, I just hope he's not like the climax trial.

I feel like he's gonna be final dungeon boss and then poo poo spins off and we get some Noise monstrosity or Zodiark/Fandaniel.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
having zenos be the Vaulthry of EW seems good

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

having zenos be the Vaulthry of EW seems good

The Ran'jiit would work too. Ice him in a solo duty (with white auracite and the weapon of light bit as a duty action after he bites it and his soul pops out or w/e), leave his ruined body face down on the cold hard ground to go deal with the real threat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

sexpig by night posted:

Zenos and Fandaniel are a very interesting combo to me because they're basically the same dude, just one's mr cold murder-boner and the other's all flamboyant and extra. I'm looking forward to kicking the poo poo out of both of them in EW because as much as I loved Emet's 'the winner shall be the hero and the vanquished the villain' thing sometimes it's fun to just have a goddamn wild animal as your big bad. I'm sure we'll get a look at Fandaniel's past to flesh out the other Ascians and show how he got this way and that'll be nice I'm sure but really I genuinely think they knew as soon as they gave him Asahi's body they knew most of us would just look at him and go 'can't wait to punch that little bitch in the mouth this time'.

One thing I'm dreading about Endwalker is actually exactly this: that they're going to go the Emet or Yotsuyu route and give him a big, grand, sad backstory that tries to humanize him and make us feel sympathy for him. I feel like if Natsuko Ishikawa has a 'favorite' trope, it's that, since it's also present in Fray to a degree.

That would rob Fandaniel of the biggest thing that works about him, that he's a villain that we all just really loving hate and want to kill extremely hard.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 4, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cleretic posted:

One thing I'm dreading about Endwalker is actually exactly this: that they're going to go the Emet or Yotsuyu route and give him a big, grand, sad backstory that tries to humanize him and make us feel sympathy for him.

That would rob Fandaniel of the biggest thing that works about him, that he's a villain that we all just really loving hate and want to kill extremely hard.
I mean if you really want them to not give Fannypack a motivation beyond "Hee hee! Just and only what I said!" you ought to steel yourself for disappointment. That said it does not mean it will be a sympathetic explanation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nessus posted:

I mean if you really want them to not give Fannypack a motivation beyond "Hee hee! Just and only what I said!" you ought to steel yourself for disappointment. That said it does not mean it will be a sympathetic explanation.

Yeah he'll have more motivation and more goals than this, the trailer has him smiling to himself that his secret plans going so well but there's no way he's not gonna an rear end in a top hat the whole time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah he'll have more motivation and more goals than this, the trailer has him smiling to himself that his secret plans going so well but there's no way he's not gonna an rear end in a top hat the whole time.
He might start pleading for his life when we get him cornered and are threateningly waving white auracite like it's Shtola's chancla. Hopefully if so one of the dialogue responses will be, "Cool motive, still genocide."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nessus posted:

He might start pleading for his life when we get him cornered and are threateningly waving white auracite like it's Shtola's chancla. Hopefully if so one of the dialogue responses will be, "Cool motive, still genocide."

"we'll remember you" *Casts LB3*

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If I had to speculate, it may have something to do with the fact that Onlyfans Daniel basically suffered the exact same fact we spent all of Eden's Promise saving Gaia from.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

If I had to speculate, it may have something to do with the fact that Onlyfans Daniel basically suffered the exact same fact we spent all of Eden's Promise saving Gaia from.
You mean like Asahi was an Ascian candidate all along and just never got awoken?

Man, talk about one final gently caress-you to Yotsuyu then.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I'm sure you would've said exactly the same thing about Emet in the leadup to Shadowbringers, though; remember that at about this point in the leadup there, the only scene he had was ranting that the Ascians made Garlemald and then getting anticlimactically shot, only to even more anticlimactically come right back.

It was one of the best scenes in the game. Didn't stop them from casting him in a grand tragedy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

One thing I'm dreading about Endwalker is actually exactly this: that they're going to go the Emet or Yotsuyu route and give him a big, grand, sad backstory that tries to humanize him and make us feel sympathy for him. I feel like if Natsuko Ishikawa has a 'favorite' trope, it's that, since it's also present in Fray to a degree.

Human sympathetic villains isn't a "trope".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

They could structure Endwalker like immortal archetypes such as Jojo's part 3: we're gonna have to go on a big rear end roadtrip and fight off Fandaniel and Zenos's evil Stand users on our way to their house on the moon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Cinemasins voice* Characters with depth trope *ding*

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm sure you would've said exactly the same thing about Emet in the leadup to Shadowbringers, though; remember that at about this point in the leadup there, the only scene he had was ranting that the Ascians made Garlemald and then getting anticlimactically shot, only to even more anticlimactically come right back.

It was one of the best scenes in the game. Didn't stop them from casting him in a grand tragedy.

Except no I wouldn't because the set up for Emet was "Hey the empire is all horseshit, I know it because I made it,and I'm setpping back into this gross living body to figure out a way to stop everything from loving up because Elidibus's crew hosed up." and since we learned about the Flood of Light being something the Ascians didn't want to happen back in 3.4 it was pretty obvious that there was going to be a lot more to this situation and the characters in it. Especially once we got the first trailer confirming we were going to the first to deal with the Flood of Light specifically.

Fandaniel's entire screentime has been him saying "I want to kill you. All of you. And myself. Especially that last part. But I wanna makes sure it all goes with me so let's do this party up right" and then quietly smiling to himself that everything's going to plan in the trailer looking at a metaphor for the entire world burning to death.

Which uh...is tonally completely different from both Solus the character and the entire build up in 4.X, so it's probably going to be a different thing.

Also as SamVimes said, that's not a 'trope' that's just writing characters.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 4, 2021

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it seems like a fairly obvious thing to me that the guy who shows up and tells everyone that he doesn't want anything besides death and don't try to reason with him because thats all there is to him, and then spends a lot of time when other characters can't see him smiling knowingly, maybe be masking large aspects of his intentions/plans/motives

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Quick, we need to get Ishikawa to play Yakuza: LAD so we can get Zenos to pull a Tendo with us for a solo duty against Onlyfans Daniel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Farg posted:

it seems like a fairly obvious thing to me that the guy who shows up and tells everyone that he doesn't want anything besides death and don't try to reason with him because thats all there is to him, and then spends a lot of time when other characters can't see him smiling knowingly, maybe be masking large aspects of his intentions/plans/motives

Well yeah, I just think it's a weird leap to go from all that and go "Clearly they're going to make him a tragic figure again" because they did that with another villian....once.

Also going back to it, as fun as the boss fight lines are, Zeno's best work is in the scene before you unlock Shinyu. It's all the intensity of the boss but he's very quiet and trying to speak calm. Same when he murders his dad. He's way better in the quiet moments of rage where the actor can lean on every line like it's a knife.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 4, 2021