Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

Interesting data on the free games from Epic Game Store.

https://twitter.com/simoncarless/status/1389297530341519362?s=19

"Entitlements" are the number of copies redeemed by customers, if you're wondering. That's a steal for Epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright I braved a trip to Walmart to get some of these key lime pie Kitkats and I wish they sold them in larger quantities than the little 1$ pack, they're pretty good

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i've had the key lime, matcha, and strawberry kit kats and tbh chocolate might be the weakest flavor

well, except for white chocolate, which is terrible of course

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mutata posted:

"Entitlements" are the number of copies redeemed by customers, if you're wondering. That's a steal for Epic.

I wonder how many of those entitlements became people who bought anything else. There must be a fair few who have an Epic account solely for the freebies.

Some of the indie studios seem to have been done real dirty by this deal.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I had an epic account because of fortnite before it became a battle royale and I only collect free games on it, never spent money on anything on the platform

and I'll be honest, I probably would not have bought any of these games if they weren't given out for free either

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

stev posted:

I wonder how many of those entitlements became people who bought anything else. There must be a fair few who have an Epic account solely for the freebies.

I don't really know about that unless you think the creators of Abzu were gonna make $150,000 off the Epic Store four years after the game's release.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I bought/completed/enjoyed Ys Origin over the weekend thinking it was a remake of the first game in the series or something but it turns out it's a prequel that's a little different to the other games since it's just a dungeon crawler

what is the correct order to Ys

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I bought/completed/enjoyed Ys Origin over the weekend thinking it was a remake of the first game in the series or something but it turns out it's a prequel that's a little different to the other games since it's just a dungeon crawler

Origin, I/II Chronicles, Memories of Celceta, Oath in Felghana, some old games that don't have modern remakes, Lacrimosa of Dana, Monstrum Nox somewhere around here I think, Ark of Napishtim, Seven

Ys game stories are only loosely connected so you can play in whatever order you like; Napishtim and Felghana are a lot like Origin if you want more of that, the others are way different

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Help Im Alive posted:

Whatever you want honestly, Ys just really isn't a series where it's worth worrying about the play order that heavily. It mostly just comes down to what style of Ys sounds most appealing to you, and Origin/Oath in Felghana/Ys VI are all of the same ilk and if you like one you'll probably like the rest (though VI being the first one that actually came out means it's rough around the edges). Origin and Oath are my two favorite titles so IMO either one is as fine a place to start as any.

The actual games you're thinking of in terms of being a remake of the first game are "Ys I&II" which is also on Steam but they are very much old rear end games that definitely necessitate you going into them with that kind of mindset (still very cool IMO but some of the bosses, dungeon layous, and difficulty balancing is pretty whack).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

just play the fun games and skip the not fun ones imo, ys is extremely episodic and trying to play them in order will just make you miserable

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

stev posted:

No need to wonder:
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1389303106035355648

93% of accounts doesn't buy anything after creating an account to add the free games.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 3, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Good as all hell:
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Ys Origin
Ys III: Oath in Felghana

Overall good:
Ys IV: Memories of Celceta

Just kind of OK:
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
Ys VI: Ark of Napistim
Ys Seven

Cool but old as gently caress:
Ys I & II

Legit bad:
Ys V: Something about a desert

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Also good as all hell:
Every Ys soundtrack
Literally every one

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Origin, I/II Chronicles, Memories of Celceta, Oath in Felghana, some old games that don't have modern remakes, Lacrimosa of Dana, Monstrum Nox somewhere around here I think, Ark of Napishtim, Seven

Ys game stories are only loosely connected so you can play in whatever order you like; Napishtim and Felghana are a lot like Origin if you want more of that, the others are way different

homeless snail posted:

just play the fun games and skip the not fun ones imo, ys is extremely episodic and trying to play them in order will just make you miserable

Nate RFB posted:

Whatever you want honestly, Ys just really isn't a series where it's worth worrying about the play order that heavily. It mostly just comes down to what style of Ys sounds most appealing to you, and Origin/Oath in Felghana/Ys VI are all of the same ilk and if you like one you'll probably like the rest (though VI being the first one that actually came out means it's rough around the edges). Origin and Oath are my two favorite titles so IMO either one is as fine a place to start as any.

The actual games you're thinking of in terms of being a remake of the first game are "Ys I&II" which is also on Steam but they are very much old rear end games that definitely necessitate you going into them with that kind of mindset (still very cool IMO but some of the bosses, dungeon layous, and difficulty balancing is pretty whack).

Nate RFB posted:

Good as all hell:
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Ys Origin
Ys III: Oath in Felghana

Overall good:
Ys IV: Memories of Celceta

Just kind of OK:
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
Ys VI: Ark of Napistim
Ys Seven

Cool but old as gently caress:
Ys I & II

Legit bad:
Ys V: Something about a desert

Thanks for the info everyone - I'm ok just playing the fun ones instead of going through in order. Though I hadn't realised that I actually only have access to VIII/IX/Memories of Celceta since my PC can't play games (I thought there were a lot more of them of PS4/Switch!) so I'll maybe jump to VIII after I finish Origin with Hugo

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I know that's a bogus list cause it only has one of the versions of 4.

Not ports, they just made two different games called ys 4 and then a third game called ys 4 that tried to fix that

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The client is terrible and most of the free games are not very interesting. Apart from Subnautica, I've not even bothered downloading most of them.
I guess it's a good thing that some smaller devs are getting some paychecks though

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The client is terrible and most of the free games are not very interesting. Apart from Subnautica, I've not even bothered downloading most of them.
I guess it's a good thing that some smaller devs are getting some paychecks though

Yeah for all the ways Steam is stagnating and failing to learn any lessons, it's wild that none of the competitors have been able to come up with a client anywhere near feature complete. I went from 'I'll grab free games and exclusives I guess and launch them through Steam' to 'I'll just wait for exclusives to come to Steam, it's not worth it' within the space of a year.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Thanks for the info everyone - I'm ok just playing the fun ones instead of going through in order. Though I hadn't realised that I actually only have access to VIII/IX/Memories of Celceta since my PC can't play games (I thought there were a lot more of them of PS4/Switch!) so I'll maybe jump to VIII after I finish Origin with Hugo

VIII is really good

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Hwurmp posted:

VIII is really good

I'm playing the Vita version right now :hellyeah:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Does having an account on a store really make people more likely to pay money in the future? And if it does, wouldn't the lowest friction way to take advantage of that be to streamline the registration process? I'd bet those 7% of free game redeemers who went on to pay would likely have paid anyway. I can't really fathom there being any kind of real free-to-paid pipeline with zero incentive otherwise. Like maybe every time you redeem a free game, you get 100 Epic points and you can cash in 1000 Epic points for $10 off a full-priced game or something. But otherwise, it seems like some kind of hand-wavey application of old-school checkout-line marketing psychology to a digital storefront where none of the same assumptions apply.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

6.Snake (Rock & Roll Racing)

Bless you for remembering R&R Racing. :pray:

I want Blizzard to revisit those characters so bad. (Although current Activision would probably only ruin it in a monkey's paw twist of fate)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Help Im Alive posted:

If you're going to only play one character I'd suggest Yunica because she's a lot of fun and Hugo plays like kind of a weird range character that's interesting in theory but not a lot of fun to actually play. There's also a third character you unlock after beating one campaign who is the actual best character to play as but you can cross that bridge when you get there if you want to go through it again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mutata posted:

Yeah jeeze, it seemed crazy Epic was throwing money away to buy people free games but when they're getting them this cheap...

spending a couple dollars per new user is a deal they'll accept all day long

Also, am I mis-reading this? They spent for example a total of $1.4M on Subnautica, 4.6M people redeemed it? That means they basically spent like, a quarter per game per person??

That's an insanely good deal! I didn't think that Epic would be paying a full $60 (I guess Subnautica is only $30 new) but I did expect them to be paying more like $5-10 per copy "sold". I guess since its a big bulk buy and lots of them are people who wouldn't pay $30 for the game, also the game has been out for awhile already, so the devs of Subnautica are happy to get the extra 1.4M payday on top of their existing long-tail sales. But wow.

Interesting economics.

I'm no Epic fanboy but I do think Steam taking 30% of every digital sale is too much, developers should keep more considering the low costs of digital storefronts. I can only hope that more competition somehow pushes that to happen, but we'll see there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

If you're going to only play one character I'd suggest Yunica because she's a lot of fun and Hugo plays like kind of a weird range character that's interesting in theory but not a lot of fun to actually play. There's also a third character you unlock after beating one campaign who is the actual best character to play as but you can cross that bridge when you get there if you want to go through it again.

I already beat it with Yunica! This is my second playthrough to see what Hugo's deal is

actually I was wondering, does anything happen if you beat Kishgal in that first fight with Yunica

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just started ys viii and its awesome. i finished monstrum nox a while ago and liked it alot but the jail exploration parts that seperated the chapters were kind of annoying. also memories of celceta kicked rear end.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Volte posted:

Does having an account on a store really make people more likely to pay money in the future? And if it does, wouldn't the lowest friction way to take advantage of that be to streamline the registration process? I'd bet those 7% of free game redeemers who went on to pay would likely have paid anyway. I can't really fathom there being any kind of real free-to-paid pipeline with zero incentive otherwise. Like maybe every time you redeem a free game, you get 100 Epic points and you can cash in 1000 Epic points for $10 off a full-priced game or something. But otherwise, it seems like some kind of hand-wavey application of old-school checkout-line marketing psychology to a digital storefront where none of the same assumptions apply.

Epic will have data to show them how this form of UA performs relative to other, and since they keep doing it I'd assume they're happy with it. In general, just getting someone to download their storefront is by far the hardest part, after that the users are part of their ecosystem if they want to actually play those games and that's a big win for Epic. I don't know the PC game store industry though so maybe I'm wrong about those numbers, but the cost per install and conversion look pretty drat good to me, especially in an industry that had essentially a single storefront for the past 15 years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Volte posted:

Yes, very very yes. Lots of people don't like having multiple storefronts and already Origin and Ubisoft force their own launchers (so they can try to get you to buy direct and keep 100% for themselves) and so people don't want to install any more launchers than they *have* to.

Getting someone a free game gives them a reason to keep the installer installed. So they can play that free game. At that point, the software is already there, so there's no friction to buying games there versus steam depending on wherever you can get the best price (or exclusives). But if you have steam installed and don't have EGS installed, even if the EGS version of a game is $5 cheaper, you're probably going to buy it on Steam because its just convenient to have all your games in the same place.

It does kinda suck for users to have to keep so many different programs installed and updated and have their library be fractured between different storefronts. But that's what gives Steam power now that they're the primary location.

I know I have hundreds of steam games and only like a handful of games on Origin or EGS, and so for simplicity's sake and for having a complete "game collection" it feels right to prefer to buy games on steam.

So its not just having an account so much as having an account and having the storefront software installed and updated and opening it occasionally (to play games) and seeing deals or whatever on advertisement. And free games gets you to do that.

Epic also does that thing where there's sale periods where if you buy a game you get $10 voucher to buy another game on and on as long as you keep buying games, so they kinda do your other suggestion too in a way.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I get 10$ coupons for the Oculus store but never use them. Man, the Oculus store is EMPTY

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there's a handful of good oculus exclusives, stormland, from other suns, lone echo 2 is coming out soon, uhh racoon lagoon is okay I guess

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Relax Or DIE posted:

i've had the key lime, matcha, and strawberry kit kats and tbh chocolate might be the weakest flavor

well, except for white chocolate, which is terrible of course

So, I'd never had Hershey's until I moved to the USA. I tried one and discovered why: It's trash. That's why nobody eats it outside the USA. I think Reese's is available in some places and the peanut butter hides the disgusting vomit flavour. Anyway, the reason I mention it is because outside the USA, Kit Kat is made by nestle with nestle chocolate. Inside the USA it's made by hershey's with hershey's chocolate.

Kit Kats outside the USA are ok, all right, I'd buy one every now and then. Inside the USA they're loving trash. Nestle chocolate is not great but it's not trash, it's not as good as Cadbury's. "but Cadbury's is crap!" you say. "The package says 'by appointment to the queen' but how could she eat this poo poo?" well. Cadbury's in the USA is also made by hershey's, with the hershey's recipe, it's not cadbury's. The real stuff is better than nestle, for sure, but not anywhere near as good as lindt (the stuff you get in the USA is legit for lindt at least!)

If you think I'm being a snob: well, maybe? But Hersheys' has a vomit aftertaste because it's made with rotten milk, which has the same acid in it as your stomach. That's why any time you eat hershey's chocolate it has a vomit aftertaste. The guy who made hershey's already had a caramel factory, and went to europe to find out how to make chocolate. He didn't succeed in his mission so he made his own process up, and as I said, it uses rotten milk. The wikipedia entry says something nice like 'the hershey's process is less sensitive to how fresh the milk is'. (quote: "In 1899, he developed the Hershey process, which is less sensitive to milk quality than traditional methods")

So yeah, I've met a lot of Americans who are like, "ok but chocolate isn't actually that great" and it's because Hershey's is very common here.

I've been told that Hershey brought chocolate to the masses who would never have been able to eat it otherwise, and I'm an rear end in a top hat, and those people are probably correct.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hershey brought spoiled milk to the masses who would never have been able to eat it otherwise

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Milton Hershey is one of the nicest people of all time. He didn't lay off a single worker during the Depression, tried to keep the price of a chocolate bar 5cents for decades so it would be possible for even the poorest to afford, didn't believe in advertising to children, and left a majority of his company in trust to his orphanage so they'd always be able to afford to help children in need.

Anyways Hershey chocolate is an acquired taste and is very nostalgic for most Americans

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't know that about him. It's rare for a rich person to be a decent person. I just wish the chocolate were better. The first time I had one I thought I'd got a bad bar from the vending machine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyways Hershey chocolate is an acquired taste and is very nostalgic for most Americans

This is what I was about to say.

You may call it "bad" but that's basically acquired tastes in a nutshell. Americans largely are used to it, so we like it and other people don't.

That's true of a ton of things that I wouldn't call garbage.

I do like Lindt chocolate though.

redreader posted:

I didn't know that about him. It's rare for a rich person to be a decent person. I just wish the chocolate were better. The first time I had one I thought I'd got a bad bar from the vending machine.

If an American says the same thing about Nutella, does that mean Nutella is bad? :cheeky:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
hershey's chocolate is indeed not great and we're just used to it. a (mildly) interesting thing - I remember being told the hershey chocolate story as a kid but with one slight difference: it wasn't that he failed to learn to make chocolate, it's that the mean european chocolate makers froze him out and refused to teach him so he had to figure it out on his own.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My parents took me to the Hershey theme park every other summer. It’s a very big brand here

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't grow up with nutella. If you want to insult me, just pick anything bad about South Africans (there are a lot of bad things) https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x64bid6 <-- "I've never met a nice South African". If you really want to make me mad, tell me that biltong is bad, I suppose.

edit: VVVV :( :(

redreader fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 4, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We carried Biltong for a minute at a gas station I worked at. I opened it up, tried it, and immediately scanned it out instead of paying for it.

You guys realize you can just make jerky right? You don't need to suffer like this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I bought biltong once at a 7-11 and when I opened it the meat inside was completely covered in mold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I bought biltong once at a 7-11 and when I opened it the meat inside was completely covered in mold

That's where the flavor is