Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Other games:
Let's take something that is fun to do, and give players a reason to do it over and over again in different variations

Space games:
Let's take something basic that makes our game tolerable, and put it at the end of 300 hours of work that would be considered inhumane if it were offered to a prisoner chain gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
They already had crafting in as a thing a long time ago.

But naturally they went overboard with it and it was player owned factories and shipping lanes and basically all of Sim City into getting your stuff building, including things you can use like ships, weapons, munitions, etc.

Something simple and doable like Minecraft was far too easy for the code whisperer to commit to.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/8sfmsziltuw61/DASH_1080.mp4

https://v.redd.it/qbt3t380hxw61/DASH_720.mp4

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

But they really don't even have the potential for sexy alien women. What are the races? Squat turtles and ugly bird people? Where are my lizard tiddies.

I romanced garrus, I can romance the bird people

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Here is the Star Citizen Minecraft Tier 0, as envisioned by the code whisperer and his favorite game he always wanted since he was a little girl:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Regarde Aduck posted:

A Citizen posted:

Talk About An Upgrade!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Titanic posted:

I want to see these guys play something like uboat or silent hunter without ever using the advance time function.

Don't you be kink shaming me now, old ship.

EDIT: and I did it with all the commands in German just for extra realism. Rohr eins, los!

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 3, 2021

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LightJovialHyracotherium-mobile.mp4

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Don't you be kink shaming me now, old ship.

EDIT: and I did it with all the commands in German just for extra realism. Rohr eins, los!

EvilMelvin alt spotted?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

*gasp*

I just realized you can push buttons and interact with things when your hands are full.

How the hell did this poo poo get passed CR?

Somebody better correct this unrealistic behavior. If you want to carry a box and open doors you better have your sex slave associate friend with you to open all doors.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah but you got in game bonuses for that. You think SC can create meaningful mechanical benefits for romancing turtle women?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Time_pants posted:

EvilMelvin alt spotted?

Worth running with as a hypothesis - what else have you got on me?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Holy poo poo I thought that Interstellar thing was supposed to be a parody, that was serious?
Its funny how much... I dunno better looking Elite is in general, like even the Sidewinder is a better-designed ship than pretty much anything in SC.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Worth running with as a hypothesis - what else have you got on me?

Look, I'm more of an "ideas" witch-hunter.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

Yeah but you got in game bonuses for that. You think SC can create meaningful mechanical benefits for romancing turtle women?

I've always wanted there to be more girl ninja turtles instead of April always being a damsel needing rescue.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I've always wanted there to be more girl ninja turtles instead of April always being a damsel needing rescue.

Would it not be more fitting with Teenage Mutant Ninja Cruise ships?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bofast posted:

Would it not be more fitting with Teenage Mutant Ninja Cruise ships?

Yes.

And honestly CR is more likely to see one of those than literally anything in his favorite game he's always wanted.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

chris has expertly designed a game that appeals to no one

It's the kind of near-diabolical genius design that can only come from a heady mix of incompetence and accident: by being a game that nobody actually would ever want to play, Star Citizen manages to only appeal to people who do not want to actually play a game. People who are willing to keep paying through the nose for nothing more than a vague hope that all the bad design choices and boredom are just placeholders that will be eventually replaced by something better.

And if it never gets better, that's fine with them -- the fact is, they're happy to dream about just wanting to play a game, and Star Citizen's Endless Alpha is a perfect way to indulge that dream.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is this game just lovely death stranding in space?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

OwlFancier posted:

Is this game just lovely death stranding in space?

It has its own design philosophy. Ten steps forward, ten steps back...

https://clips.twitch.tv/JollyCulturedWebPanicVis-Ctf9KRFoXevB9ckO

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DreadUnknown posted:

Holy poo poo I thought that Interstellar thing was supposed to be a parody, that was serious?
Its funny how much... I dunno better looking Elite is in general, like even the Sidewinder is a better-designed ship than pretty much anything in SC.

You know how some guys have a particular fetish and if somebody has was cranks that specific fetish they'll ignore everything else about that person (both good and bad)? Well. the biggest backers are completely blind to everything SC. It could look like a N64 game and they would honestly think it's the best looking game ever.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh yeah, they still think Crysis is the most amazing thing ever when things lile Red Dead Redemption 2 exist.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Like, we have reached a point where some games look perfect. For example, the DBZ fighter game ls the best looking DBZ anything ever and you cannot honestly expect something to be much better in that area.

It's only in the nebulous area of hyper-fidelity (read: boring artistic design) that you'll never get good enough graphics.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 4, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah its more about art direction than fidelity anyway, take something like Homeworld. The original release still looks amazing even though its old as gently caress, its art direction is stellar so it ages super well.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I for one can't wait for my $5000 space jpg to lose a mighty fast paced duel because my little space guy forgot to take a poo poo beforehand

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I've played E:D a lot but I don't think even they have really nailed the 'how to model an interesting galaxy' thing. Its an amazing achievement but it does get very repetitive gameplay and visual wise. I've been to Beagle Point a couple of times and the thousands of jumps required are very boring and also totally devoid of danger or challenge. Falling asleep and crashing into a sun is the only threat to success.

I think large scale space games should crowd-source content a bit like Second Life did.... here are the tools, make something that other people can visit. you could then have a guild building a city or something. Star Wars Galaxies had this, and it was reasonably successful although you did get ghost towns. But you could then.. populate them with NPC ghosts...

Currently, due to the challenges of crating immense amounts of content, Elite will always be threadbare but beautiful. Star Citizen will never be released.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Gravity_Storm posted:

I've played E:D a lot but I don't think even they have really nailed the 'how to model an interesting galaxy' thing. Its an amazing achievement but it does get very repetitive gameplay and visual wise. I've been to Beagle Point a couple of times and the thousands of jumps required are very boring and also totally devoid of danger or challenge. Falling asleep and crashing into a sun is the only threat to success.

I think large scale space games should crowd-source content a bit like Second Life did.... here are the tools, make something that other people can visit. you could then have a guild building a city or something. Star Wars Galaxies had this, and it was reasonably successful although you did get ghost towns. But you could then.. populate them with NPC ghosts...

Currently, due to the challenges of crating immense amounts of content, Elite will always be threadbare but beautiful. Star Citizen will never be released.

It's an interesting and tricky design problem, most solutions have pros and cons.

In all with a whole galaxy that can be filled with endless crazy scince fiction / fantasy I'm pretty disappointed with what has been produced for the grenre. I think there are amazing opertunites to make something great.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

This isn't a photoshop edit? Until it switched cameras I thought it was just a joke animation someone made to make fun of the game.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Flannelette posted:

This isn't a photoshop edit? Until it switched cameras I thought it was just a joke animation someone made to make fun of the game.

It's so good it made me laugh out loud, but I think it's real

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Gravity_Storm posted:

After several thousand hours sunk when my kids were very young, Elite was the best game then. A game that required zero commitments and you could do everything at your leisure. Now, as my kids have grown up, it is a really different game. I don't have that much time to spend.

Hopping just to "save" a friend from out of fuel scenarios or helping them with a thargoid encounter often takes hours (moving ships, transferring modules, getting the right guns). Playing together with friends, even moreso, location, missions etc.. Star Citizen extends this by making everything mandatory in FPS, which is so niche in terms of game design. Those that want this game badly are literally dumping millions of dollars to keep it afloat and trying to prove everyone else wrong.

This is good for Star Citizen.

If you agree, buy an Idris now!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gravity_Storm posted:

The problem with player crowd-source content is... player crowd-source content. Thousands of dong cities and bases that look like insults (often racist) from space, you know the drill.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:reddit:My First Ride Aboard the 890Jump! Wow~

Just enjoying my time aboard the 890J, wow!

#Nipplesout I found the sauna! Omg so hot haha

Found a room that amplifies my #naturalglow

#workingmans sex appeal

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Here is the Star Citizen Minecraft Tier 0, as envisioned by the code whisperer and his favorite game he always wanted since he was a little girl:

Lol that Crob had to get legal and illegal vice into his rock mining flowchart

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Second Life looking pretty good after that graphical update.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Flannelette posted:

Thats clearly the Slave One.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

no_recall posted:

After several thousand hours sunk when my kids were very young, Elite was the best game then. A game that required zero commitments and you could do everything at your leisure. Now, as my kids have grown up, it is a really different game. I don't have that much time to spend.

Hopping just to "save" a friend from out of fuel scenarios or helping them with a thargoid encounter often takes hours (moving ships, transferring modules, getting the right guns). Playing together with friends, even moreso, location, missions etc.. Star Citizen extends this by making everything mandatory in FPS, which is so niche in terms of game design. Those that want this game badly are literally dumping millions of dollars to keep it afloat and trying to prove everyone else wrong.

This is good for Star Citizen.

If you agree, buy an Idris now!

And thank you to the person responsible for today's drive-by Idrissing on the FD forums...

I laughed.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

This is like the pea-jittering-into-the-table meme

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Checkmate! posted:

What you and everyone else making these posts are ignoring is the fact this is Alpha...

No seriously.. I know it's an over used response, but holy crap is 100% correct in this situation..

You're ignoring everything CIG has planned for game-play.. Things you'll be able to do that are planned while you're traveling for 15 minutes: (This of course greatly differs from ship to ship.)

- Scans
- Checking up on your in-game mail, messages, relations with guilds,
- Checking economic situation of the system, or nearby systems.
- Doing Diagnostics/engineering checks on your ship. (Systems will and can fail. weapons can malfunction, components fail to trigger, etc. if not upkept, and properly checked, replaced, tuned or repaired).
- Setting back up power controls for your ship for any potential combat you're expecting to get into, so you dn't lose your shields and engines with 1 bad hit.
- Checking your armor, weapons, ammunition, etc. in the lockers in your ship. (You won't be able to fly with medium or heavy armor like you can now, and you wont be able to have any weapons equipped except maybe a pistol.)
- Getting food, and water.
- Taking a crap in the toilet. (supposed to be a thing, so yea.. something you can do).
- Taking a shower (hygiene requirements).

Just to name a few of a much larger list.

TLDR: People making posts like this, have absolutely no imagination, or ability to comprehend what the game is supposed to be like at release, and want to complain about things as they are now, rather than how they will be..

Okay so the travel -based gameplay is

- checking stuff
- checking other stuff
- checking economic stuff
- checking ship stuff
- I'll be honest that I don't even know what "setting back up power controls" could mean. Anyway, it doesn't sound like something you would have to do more than once.
- checking more stuff
- filling survival meter
- filling survival meter
- filling survival meter

This guy's got no business questioning people's imagination when the best they've come up with is 4 variations of "look at menus" + 3 variations on "fill up survival meter" and a lot of these don't even make sense. You're going to check up on your gear AFTER you've already left your home port?

loving hell man, it's not like the concept of "there's not a lot to do while traveling" is new. If I'm doing a highway road trip that's 4 hours long there's not much to do after the initial setting up directions and getting out of the city onto the highway. Take it to a space video game where you don't have to worry about things like staying on the road or (ideally) bodily functions, there's even less to do once you're in warp space or whatever.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

Okay so the travel -based gameplay is

- checking stuff
- checking other stuff
- checking economic stuff
- checking ship stuff
- I'll be honest that I don't even know what "setting back up power controls" could mean. Anyway, it doesn't sound like something you would have to do more than once.
- checking more stuff
- filling survival meter
- filling survival meter
- filling survival meter

This guy's got no business questioning people's imagination when the best they've come up with is 4 variations of "look at menus" + 3 variations on "fill up survival meter" and a lot of these don't even make sense. You're going to check up on your gear AFTER you've already left your home port?

loving hell man, it's not like the concept of "there's not a lot to do while traveling" is new. If I'm doing a highway road trip that's 4 hours long there's not much to do after the initial setting up directions and getting out of the city onto the highway. Take it to a space video game where you don't have to worry about things like staying on the road or (ideally) bodily functions, there's even less to do once you're in warp space or whatever.

I really hate space dads. These kinds of things might be fun once a week or so if you are the right amount of drunk and spergy. But if they are part of the game it will get annoying after the first time.

Not to mention that taking a crap will probably explode your ship due to the physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

lobsterminator posted:

I really hate space dads. These kinds of things might be fun once a week or so if you are the right amount of drunk and spergy. But if they are part of the game it will get annoying after the first time.

Not to mention that taking a crap will probably explode your ship due to the physics.

I'm reserving thread title for that occasion
Star Citizer: Explosive diarrhea
:rimshot: