Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Popular Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Popular Comics

Good Lord.

Classic Zits

Top and bottom strips are two of my favorites. Multiple phone handsets was a great source of comedy we’ll never see again.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Most of the time Boondocks has aged pretty badly, this one though, like a fine wine.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't mean to be dismissive of the racism issues, on the other hand it does seem a bit of a luxury problem to me to be able to say "ooh I don't much like the way they draw those unspeakable atrocities."

Or from a slightly different angle, feels like once you've arrived at "my family was killed by people who bet money on which way their guts would fly when ripped apart by jeeps" you've left a few other issues way behind you even if they are objectively serious and worth addressing.
Yeah but it's not written by a black man and they're all portrayed as having big pink lips.

Like that's it. It can be a story about survival and the assumptions you make about people and also be drawn in a bad way. Things can have multiple facets. I don't think anyone here is taking the war crimes lightly.

Edit: put another way, I think the unintentional use of racist caricature hurts the message the author is trying to convey. You mentioned Maus, and while it's been a while since I read it, I had the impression the use of cartoon animal species to represent ethnicity and race was intended to lampoon the ways people categorize other humans and treat those categories as innate and essential, rather than fluid or socially constructed. And specifically how that gets used to justify things like, well... genocide. The uncomfortable implications are part of the message. That's not quite what is happening here.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 3, 2021

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I remember a movie, it was about a boy in World War 2; there's a scene in which he paints nylon lines on his sister before she goes out on the town. Wish I could remember the name of it.

B Kliban

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Stupid leprechaun, with the internet and modern investments, that gold will be laundered within a week!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Classic Zits

Top and bottom strips are two of my favorites. Multiple phone handsets was a great source of comedy we’ll never see again.
I didn't even know he played the accordion. :allears:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 1/21-23/43

Geez, he really is Prince Valiant's Syrian ancestor.

Anyway, spotted this while Deergathering and it struck me as one for "The Past Is Another Country" file:

Mickey Mouse 3/13/43

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Shugojin posted:

people really do this and i hate them for it

"How about some winning lottery numbers? :haw:"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

God, I'm glad that leg makeup went out of fashion. I can't even be hosed to shave.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes! Give in to your anger Marla. It makes you powerful. Strike them all down! Everyone else would happily provide alibis.

RoboRodent posted:

God, I'm glad that leg makeup went out of fashion. I can't even be hosed to shave.
What about hair dye instead? Hmmmm, I almost want to try myself.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

There's an avatar in that last panel, for sure.

Dinky Dinnkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 6th, 1940

Axa

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fondue posted:

I remember a movie, it was about a boy in World War 2; there's a scene in which he paints nylon lines on his sister before she goes out on the town. Wish I could remember the name of it.
Brighton Beach Memoirs. I'd forgotten all about this movie until you said this.

The only two scenes I remember are that and a woman being on a date when the War of the Worlds broadcast happens, which causes her date to abandon her and run screaming into the night.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is Mukku Somalian?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes he is.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Poil posted:

What about hair dye instead? Hmmmm, I almost want to try myself.

You know, my leg hair is already blonde and I have some semi permanent stuff under the sink from the last time I had purple hair.

This is a terrible idea but now you've put it in my head.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 9, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 6, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 12, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 21, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 21, 1935)

Mopsy (January 21, 1937)

Dark Laughter (June 30, 1945)

Those Were the Days (February 26, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 11, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 11, 1965)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (April 30, 1992)

Spoilered for some caricatures of Africans.

Holy poo poo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That makes depressing sense. Too late for Uganda or Ethiopia, too early for Rwanda.

Casts the small town struggles in a different light.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

They're so thin

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Sep 11, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 16-17, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Raise your hand if you're surprised to find out Bern is a bad fish mom. :colbert:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (August 11, 1965)

Remarkably prescient strip from before broken windows policing was a term

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

"They're 100 feet away with clear sightlines and on the lookout. Let's teleport to their car for the ambush."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Aren't you supposed to hole up during the day, and travel by night, for desert travel?

Dawn/dusk for most deserts. Gets hot at midday but very cold at night, air moisture has a dampening effect and without that things swing to extremes. Out where I grew up (central New Mexico) pine needles were common in the mountains and could be piled up for good insulation. Not comfortable, but effective.

For actual navigation (as opposed to an ocean bottom) this also depends on the terrain/situation. If you're looking for towns or highways they can be VERY visible at night, but you also can't see your footing so for a rocky desert you want to move in light. During the day there are other landmarks that can be used. Ideally you know the general area, for example if you know there's a large highway running north/south and which side of it you're on then you'll eventually hit something if you can keep in that direction even if not taking the shortest path or the nearest civilization.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (May 9, 1918)

Okay I'm gonna need someone to explain this one to me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Food and Fuel Control Act was passed the previous year to try and alleviate the strain of war, giving Hoover power to (among other things) fix food prices, ban use of foodstuffs for liquor manufacturing, and prosecute hoarders and profiteers. Previously featured 'meatless' days were a result of the same Act attempting to avoid explicit rationing.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

fondue posted:

Hope and Glory?

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/hope-and-glory-1987

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh yeah this is the one where the pack of boys pay for a peak at some girls vagina with a rope of pearls.

I literally dont remember anything else from this movie besides the panty hose and pear bit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bunccine

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/3/01

Brenda Starr 5/26/46

Smokey Stover 12/1/40

It took me several readings to get the pun in "Nyfanforks."

Richard's Poor Almanac

Anyway, I've come across another interesting comic in my old-newspaper-trawling, and while I'm (probably) not going to add it to my posts because c'mon, enough is enough, I thought I'd share it for folks who might want to look it up on their own. Metropolitan Movies (also called Everyday Movies) by Denys Wortman is a series of slice-of-life scenes done in striking detail and frequently with a sense of humor so dark it's nearly invisible. Like so:

Everyday Movies, I forgot to note the date, 1943

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 4, 2021

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Dustin

:wth:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff..................is in black and white again! I should look up if these are repeats.

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 23, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 23, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 23, 1989)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "40 - Jucika's Boss Jubilee"

No good deed goes unpunished.

"Jucika Wakes"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn