Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

another day volunteering at the attack helicopter museum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Well, now I am picturing some dumb book with a scene where the pilot is downed behind the enemy lines and he's holding them off by manually firing the chin gun at the baddies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

For those wondering, that says "MANY HOOK"...a hook is a failed graded event.

That is a good patch.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Everything in the firing mechanism is mechanical based on the barrel's position in the cycle. All the motor does is spin the whole assembly. So manually turning the barrels does the exact same thing.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

NightGyr posted:

Everything in the firing mechanism is mechanical based on the barrel's position in the cycle. All the motor does is spin the whole assembly. So manually turning the barrels does the exact same thing.

If you're allowed to say, does the firing pin have a trip cam or something so it actually drops on the primer under spring pressure, or is it just cammed so that at firing speed the pin is going fast enough?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Lord Stimperor posted:

jerk off a helicopter

:lol:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's a 7.62 minigun, right? Cause yeah obviously it's too small to be a rotary cannon and also the bigger ones are electrically fired iirc

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If you're allowed to say, does the firing pin have a trip cam or something so it actually drops on the primer under spring pressure, or is it just cammed so that at firing speed the pin is going fast enough?

https://youtu.be/rIlwHT4IdRc

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I don't think Ian's video answers that question.

The gun has six bolts, each with its own firing pin, and the firing pin has a spring. So I'm assuming it's like a closed bolt gun: the bolt cams closed, and then there's some sort of trip to let the spring send the pin home.

https://dillonaero.com/product-category/m134-components/major-components/

quote:

The Dillon Gun Bolt set is comprised of six Dillon DA1000 Gun Bolts. Dillon Gun Bolts offer several important advances over the General Electric gun bolts. Firing pins found in GE bolts have blunt tips. Blunt tips can puncture the primer of a cartridge during the firing sequence. When this happens a portion of the hot gas is vented passed the firing pin and through the bolt. This has two effects. The first is to cause the firing pin to compress the firing pin spring rearward against the firing pin retention pin. If this happens enough times the firing pin spring will lose temper, which leads to light firing pin strikes on primers. These ‘light strikes’ may contain insufficient energy to fire the cartridge.

The second effect of gas venting is to ‘etch’ the tip of the firing pin. The more the firing pin tip is damaged the more likely it is to puncture larger holes in the primer. At a certain point enough gas is vented into the bolt body that the bolt head retention pin may actually be sheared into three pieces, leading to catastrophic bolt failure.

To solve these and other problems, Dillon patented and entirely redesigned the gun bolt for use in the Dillon M134D. The DA1000 bolt is completely compatible with the General Electric GAU-2B/M134.

Dillon Aero’s bolts are amazingly strong and reliable. The firing pin tip is rounded, not blunt, to avoid primer puncture. In firing tests totaling well over one million rounds, Dillon bolts did not puncture a single primer. Because of this, Dillon springs last fifteen times as long as GE springs.

Other improvements include dual, opposed guidance tangs that drive the bolt head into and out of the locked position. This is compared to the single tang GE bolt head which was susceptible to cracking.

Also, bolt searing is simpler and more reliable. GE bolts have a boss on the rear end of the firing pin that engages a track in the gun rotor. With Dillon bolts the sear is contained within the bolt head and is triggered by bolt compression. This feature makes rotor design less complex and less expensive.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I know from personal experience that sometimes that trivial and obvious sounding solution to a problem took a ton of effort to figure out and I gotta say, 'We rounded the firing pin tip" has that kind of energy.

Also, somewhere there is an engineer at GE with a spreadsheet who will tell anyone that listens that, no, really blunt is better you just need to do X with the spring and it will be waaay better.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Apologies if this has been posted recently:

You can watch where the out-of-control PRC rocket is above our heads (with altitude and speed) at https://orbit.ing-now.com/satellite/48275/2021-035b/cz-5b/

It's losing altitude at an alarming rate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

simplefish posted:

Apologies if this has been posted recently:

You can watch where the out-of-control PRC rocket is above our heads (with altitude and speed) at https://orbit.ing-now.com/satellite/48275/2021-035b/cz-5b/

It's losing altitude at an alarming rate

I see it at about 200km and that it’s in a 165 km x 326 km orbit so it should be losing altitude as it approaches periapsis?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any projections on landing location yet?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

I see it at about 200km and that it’s in a 165 km x 326 km orbit so it should be losing altitude as it approaches periapsis?

Looks like it had a 370km periapsis four days ago, so that seems like a pretty substantial decrease.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh I've had it as losing 80km since I opened the page

But that doesn't track with the table at the bottom, I guess. Last measured 21 hrs ago so probably just a janky projection for whatever reason

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The “live” numbers at the top are probably just interpolating from the few measurements. Since it’s orbiting it will go from its max to min distance every ~45 mins so those will change fast. Those max and min are decaying though per the graphs of them at the bottom so at the current rate it will hit sometime in the next month or so. That’s 100s of orbits and the rate of loss isn’t super reliable so it’s too soon to call anywhere or any when.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AP_Oddities/status/1388895045940662273

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

simplefish posted:

Oh I've had it as losing 80km since I opened the page

But that doesn't track with the table at the bottom, I guess. Last measured 21 hrs ago so probably just a janky projection for whatever reason

The orbit is an ellipse, so it moves between 300-something and 100-something on every orbit, which is around 90 minutes. You can tell the datapoints are about 90 minutes (or 2x 90 minutes) apart so it's measured at almost the same spot. The altitude at that point keeps going down, so it's definitely heading our way.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ola posted:

The orbit is an ellipse, so it moves between 300-something and 100-something on every orbit, which is around 90 minutes. You can tell the datapoints are about 90 minutes (or 2x 90 minutes) apart so it's measured at almost the same spot. The altitude at that point keeps going down, so it's definitely heading our way.

So what is this satellite?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what is this satellite?

One of the stages from the rocket that launched their new space station's core module.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

RoastBeef posted:

One of the stages from the rocket that launched their new space station's core module.

If China actually wants to be taken seriously in space then they need to start playing like an adult and cleaning up their messes when they are done with their toys.

Leaving massive cores full of toxic crap to land who knows where is just nasty. I get that they don't give a poo poo about their own populace but what if that thing comes down in New York City, London, Paris, Moscow or even Beijing? Sure, it's not likely but the world is full of all kinds of historical examples of unlikely things happening.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

RoastBeef posted:

So it's just a stage, and not the space station module itself?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Judging by the twitter replies I assume this is in bad taste? Because I have zero clue.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Murgos posted:

If China actually wants to be taken seriously in space then they need to start playing like an adult and cleaning up their messes when they are done with their toys.

Leaving massive cores full of toxic crap to land who knows where is just nasty. I get that they don't give a poo poo about their own populace but what if that thing comes down in New York City, London, Paris, Moscow or even Beijing? Sure, it's not likely but the world is full of all kinds of historical examples of unlikely things happening.

If it's just a rocket stage then it has zero chance of making it to the ground.... anyone putting heavy things in orbit does the exact same thing, the only exception was the space shuttle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Safety Dance posted:

So it's just a stage, and not the space station module itself?

Yes.

Standard practice is that if the stage is gonna reach orbit to put a kick motor on it to deorbit it when it’s done its job. China seems to have removed this feature from its newest Long Marches, possibly on the basis of thinking “dropping big chunks on metal on random countries is something superpowers do”; the same thing happened several months ago.

`Nemesis posted:

If it's just a rocket stage then it has zero chance of making it to the ground.... anyone putting heavy things in orbit does the exact same thing, the only exception was the space shuttle.

This sentence couldn't be more false. Everything in it isn't true.

https://spacenews.com/huge-rocket-looks-set-for-uncontrolled-reentry-following-chinese-space-station-launch/

"Zero chance of making it to the ground:"

quote:

“It is always difficult to assess the amount of surviving mass and number of fragments without knowing the design of the object, but a reasonable “rule-of-thumb” is about 20-40% of the original dry mass.”

Components made of heat resistant materials, such as tanks and thrusters made stainless steel or titanium, can reach the ground. Surviving objects will fall vertically after deceleration and travel at terminal velocity.

The Long March that China let reenter uncontrolled last year dumped debris on Africa. Similarly, SpaceX dropped some tankage on Washington when the deorbit burn on a Falcon 9 second stage failed.

"anyone putting heavy things in orbit does the exact same thing"

Again, no: standard and accepted practice is to deorbit in a controlled fashion, not just let the thing sit up there in a randomly decaying orbit with a ground track that passes over populated areas.

quote:

McDowell said he hoped China would have enhanced the core stage to perform a controlled deorbit after separating from Tianhe. “I think by current standards it’s unacceptable to let it reenter uncontrolled,” McDowell said.

“Since 1990 nothing over 10 tons has been deliberately left in orbit to reenter uncontrolled.” The Long March 5B core stage, without its four side boosters, is thought to have a “dry mass”, or when it is empty of propellent, of about 21 metric tons in mass.

Of course, China's a country that just lets first stages crash into its own villages.

https://www.space.com/china-launches-gaofen-11-satellite-rocket-crash.html

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 4, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Usually they just drop the stages on their own people

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

`Nemesis posted:

Chunks of it will likely make it down ~somewhere~

I still want to watch something burn up on re-entry. :colbert:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Yes.

Standard practice is that if the stage is gonna reach orbit to put a kick motor on it to deorbit it when it’s done its job. China seems to have removed this feature from its newest Long Marches, possibly on the basis of thinking “dropping big chunks on metal on random countries is something superpowers do”; the same thing happened several months ago.

TBF both US and USSR did drop entire space stations on random countries (Skylab and Salyut 7, respectively).

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

TBF both US and USSR did drop entire space stations on random countries (Skylab and Salyut 7, respectively).

Over 40 years ago. Things have changed since then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In any case, skylab falling down provided a fun activity for some nerds at a summer camp and they got to meet Ronald Reagan.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

NASA still hasn't paid the fine for littering

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
based stations

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

slidebite posted:

Judging by the twitter replies I assume this is in bad taste? Because I have zero clue.

I don't know military regs for call signs... Maybe they prohibit pop culture names? Otherwise it's no worse than if your callsign was 'Chewbacca' or something else nerdy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zero One posted:

I don't know military regs for call signs... Maybe they prohibit pop culture names? Otherwise it's no worse than if your callsign was 'Chewbacca' or something else nerdy.

They have lists of approved call signs. The USAF hates fun.

Also Rick and Morty fans have a reputation.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Zero One posted:

There are military call signs like "Cujo", "Cylon", and "Colt", so I don't think it's pop culture limits. The national guard A-10s in Baltimore use "Colt", so you'll hear them use "Colt 45" sometimes. "Bud" and "Coors" are also in use for the ANG, so I don't think the beer references in airplanes are a problem either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You have to have a manly man call sign.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ola posted:

Thanks for this post and others like it - I'm learning!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wzm posted:

There are military call signs like "Cujo", "Cylon", and "Colt", so I don't think it's pop culture limits. The national guard A-10s in Baltimore use "Colt", so you'll hear them use "Colt 45" sometimes. "Bud" and "Coors" are also in use for the ANG, so I don't think the beer references in airplanes are a problem either.

I must’ve only posted the mega list of call signs heard by amateur radio folks in the AirPower thread.
https://henney.com/chm/callsign.htm

There’s plenty of silly ones but it all has to be official I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Only registered members can see post attachments!