Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

cause of you motherfuckers I looked for key lime kit kats today

have to explain to my fiancée that I’m looking for the candy what all my internet friends said was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Nutrageous bars are one of my favorite candy treats, up there with twix, kit kats, saltwater taffy, french burnt peanuts, and jordan almonds

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Apple Pie flavor Kit Kats they had a while back were pretty good. Glad we're finally getting weird flavors of Kit Kats like Japan.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

cause of you motherfuckers I looked for key lime kit kats today

have to explain to my fiancée that I’m looking for the candy what all my internet friends said was good

This is exactly what I told my coworkers today before I left and now I can tell them Wednesday that theyre good

Also, how the gently caress did Baby Bottle Pops get through enough corporate gatekeepers to become a thing

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i can't even imagine what most of these kit kat flavors taste like

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Seriously though, any of you ever had jordan almonds or french burnt peanuts? They so fuckin good, but 2 completely different candy + nut experiences.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

Nutrageous bars are one of my favorite candy treats, up there with twix, kit kats, saltwater taffy, french burnt peanuts, and jordan almonds

I'm constantly annoyed that I can only find King Siza Nutrageous locally. They are so good but I'm trying not to eat that much candy anymore.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I don't usually see flavored kit-kats in stores around me but if I'm really craving I can usually go to an asian mart and find some cool flavors

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I really like snickers and twix (both kinds of twix), and M&M's are better than smarties, which is also by nestle but it's what I had growing up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also, how the gently caress did Baby Bottle Pops get through enough corporate gatekeepers to become a thing

https://imgur.com/a/KD8B4n3

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
candy is disgusting but i'll eat cookies and ice cream all day

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh yeah Looper if you're playing Unleashed try to aim for an E rank at least once.

don't you worry buddy i've gotten plenty! as much as i like it i'm very bad at the boost style gameplay

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Anybody here actually like Necco wafers?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're fantastic.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Necco rules, theyre like flat smarties

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Necco wafers were something I wouldn't go out of my way to buy but if I had them then sure I'd eat them and they'd be fine.

I've had the candy lego bricks before and they're nothing special outside of the gimmick of building with them but the puzzling thing was where I had them. They were offered as a topping at a frozen yogurt place. As I quickly found out, they were an absolutely terrible topping because they were just big unbreakable brick chunks mixed with frozen yogurt.

Has anyone actually had those candy ufos? The name I usually see them called by is satellite wafers but they're just these candy saucers/ufos/discs. I've seen them before at various stores but never actually seen anyone getting them.

Also, any of you ever had Turkish Taffy? I only had it once but it was alright, though iirc it isn't actually taffy and also isn't Turkish.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

Good as all hell:
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Ys Origin
Ys III: Oath in Felghana

Overall good:
Ys IV: Memories of Celceta

Just kind of OK:
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
Ys VI: Ark of Napistim
Ys Seven

Cool but old as gently caress:
Ys I & II

Legit bad:
Ys V: Something about a desert

Monstrum nox owns extremely hard
Put it above celcetta

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Adol needs to be legally barred from ever boarding a ship

Thats literally the first scene of monstrum nox

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gaius Marius posted:

They're fantastic.

Mix. posted:

Necco rules, theyre like flat smarties

:agreed: whew thought I was the only one.

FirstAidKite posted:

Necco wafers were something I wouldn't go out of my way to buy but if I had them then sure I'd eat them and they'd be fine.

I've had the candy lego bricks before and they're nothing special outside of the gimmick of building with them but the puzzling thing was where I had them. They were offered as a topping at a frozen yogurt place. As I quickly found out, they were an absolutely terrible topping because they were just big unbreakable brick chunks mixed with frozen yogurt.

Has anyone actually had those candy ufos? The name I usually see them called by is satellite wafers but they're just these candy saucers/ufos/discs. I've seen them before at various stores but never actually seen anyone getting them.

Also, any of you ever had Turkish Taffy? I only had it once but it was alright, though iirc it isn't actually taffy and also isn't Turkish.

The Turkish Taffy is reminding me of something similar. I want to say Abba-Zaba but I don't think that's it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh and of course

The skittles video game

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Distinct lack of Cadbury products on here.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I believe there's Cadbury Creme Eggs rated 5/10?

Still wondering how this chart could exclude the Butterfingers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqjJVqCJ2EY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1j5tUANpNo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The creme eggs are the starter item in the cadbury world! There's so much more.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 4, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
WARHEADS ARE GARBAGE POOP CANDY AND I AM 32 YEARS OLD AND STILL MAD ABOUT IT

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i first tried a warhead in fourth grade and it was like my tongue had been pinched by an angry little crab

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

One warhead flavor was so sour i tried to just bear down on it as hard as i could to get through the initial part but oops sucked it into my throat and choked for several mins.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When I was about 8 or 9 my neighbor pranked me by giving me a warhead and telling me they weren't sour because he knew I didn't like sour candy. When I spit it out and said he lied to me, he told me to put it in water to get rid of the sour part and then it'd be fine so I tried it and it was still really sour and terrible.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
so i just hooked my wii u up on a whim and charged junk but i think ive lost my tropical freeze disk even though i have the save data w/ my unrecorded time attack runs so i went to see how much the eshop version cost to be able to reaccess those and finish what i started sometime and i forgot they took it off the eshop permanently after the switch release and that nintendo is aggressively pathetic thanks

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lurdiak posted:

The creme eggs are the starter item in the cadbury world! There's so much more.

Starbar fucken owns op

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I've had these here in Australia, they were just called Flying Saucers and they're not very exciting - it feels like a very thin pastic shell, but it dissolves super fast in your mouth and is just kind of a weird sugar/sherbert delivery method. Definitely one of those things where it looks interesting when you're a kid and then it doesn't live up to it.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 4, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh and of course

The skittles video game

This looks like the art from the guy who did all those PSM magazine covers

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh and of course

The skittles video game

That game owns, never could have imagined I needed to use skittles as materia but here we are

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh and of course

The skittles video game

This and Drakan are interchangeable in my mind, probably on account of the protagonists being so similar

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I'm currently playing Subnautica and I don't think I've played something quite so tense. There are games that are scary or exciting or difficult but this so brilliantly creeps up on you. It starts so calm in the shallows of a big blue ocean world where you get to swim and explore and collect items and get a visit from the friendly neighborhood fish... then it's the drat leviathans and radiation and weird radio signals and pitch darkness and crush depth and electric eels and hellscapes with literal rivers of lava and I'm out of medkits and gently caress this I need a break.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I often think about playing subnautica, but then I remember that it would scare me to death. I sat behind my bestie playing it at one point and the idea of being on the top of water and everything underneath you that you cannot see is one of my visceral fears and links into my terror at facing slugs, headcrabs and squishly enemies of that nature.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VideoGames posted:

I often think about playing subnautica, but then I remember that it would scare me to death. I sat behind my bestie playing it at one point and the idea of being on the top of water and everything underneath you that you cannot see is one of my visceral fears and links into my terror at facing slugs, headcrabs and squishly enemies of that nature.

Yeah this is why I noped out of it. Deep water swimming sections in games always stress the hell out of me so a whole game of that would be nightmarish.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Surprised nobody has made a horror game about cave diving yet.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

There is a point in Subnautica when you get the big sub and some other fun stuff and you don't need to fear anything anymore and it's great because of the journey you took to get there.

I don't think I could handle the game in VR though...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok for no reason it's now time for me to review an 8 year old game.

I bought Castle of Illusion (Starring Mickey Mouse) in the current Golden Week Steam sale. I'd never played the original Genesis game before, or the Land/Legend of Illusion Master System games it's a follow up to. I had played the Mickey's Magical Quest series on SNES, which features similar but subtly different gameplay. I checked out a longplay of the original for comparison's sake.

First of all, this game is quite pretty (except for the storybook cutscenes which feel a bit half assed). It's full of vibrant colors and it has great lighting, which is often a problem in 2.5D games. There's often interesting background elements and even fun teases at future sections of the stage going on in the distance, and everything looks and feels appropriately cartoony. The choice to make the titular castle a proper overworld was a good one, and it fits in with the modernization of the gameplay in general. This game has a lives system, and it's an old school platformer in design, but it's very forgiving: losing a life doesn't make you restart the entire stage, but rather kicks you back to the most recent checkpoint. Although it does uncollect all the collectibles you got before that checkpoint, which feels like a fair price to pay. I never game over'd, but I can only assume it just kicks you back to the overworld, as the game has a Mario 64 style progression system that saves cleared stages and collected collectibles every time you defeat a boss or clear a level.

Speaking of collectibles, adding them to this game was a brilliant move. The basic points-giving gems of the original game are turned into collectibles in each stage (75 each) that are used to gate progress along with the big gems you get from beating bosses. There's also 2 separate types of collectibles that grant costumes, and a third type that unlocks statues in the overworld. These rewards aren't amazing but they feel like something tangible to work towards. Appropriately, trying to get every collectible in a stage makes that stage much more difficult in most cases, which means there's an appropriate range of challenge for different skill levels. It also adds a lot of replayability to the game, as does the optional Time Attack mode in cleared stages. The game still tracks your score, so that's another thing you can try to improve when you replay stages.

Unlike other games from the 2010s, the occasional shift between 2D and 3D gameplay feels seamless and the simple controls adapt beautifully. I never once thought about the camera, despite some sections getting pretty ambitious with how it spins around Mickey to convey a sense of action, which is pretty impressive coming from Sega. The level design is very different from the original game, but every memorable setpiece is preserved and expanded upon. This is a good thing in my view, as the original game's setpieces seem to be its greatest asset, with its platforming design being very run of the mill (to be charitable). The art direction is very strong and reinforces the theme of each area much more than the original game, adding bells and whistles and details everywhere. It turns certain difficult areas from the original into optional challenges to get collectibles, while others are simply fun transitional action sequences. There's a very cinematic-looking tower climb section to the final boss that wasn't in the original game at all, and it's a very neat touch.

The narrator who adds color commentary to every stage isn't really needed, but it adds a sense of story to a pretty abstract platformer, which might be something that helps keep the attention of younger players. The music isn't really anything to write home about, with most tracks being chilled-out orchestral-sounding remixes of the original game's tunes, but it's certainly not bad. And some bosses have musical cues to their attacks, as do some sudden stage hazards or cinematic transitions.

There are a few strange bits in the game, the first of which being that, much like the original, it just sorts of gives you 2 gems in stages 4 and 5 for no real reason. In the original game that feels like a compromise they had to make as they ran out of time to add 7 stages, so it's mildly disappointing that this game doesn't come up with a more elegant solution, or simply more stages. But there's so much expansion on the original game's half hour adventure that it's hard to complain about lack of content.

Another strange thing, and my only real complaint about the game, pertains to the bosses. The first two bosses, while quite easy, change their pattern a lot as you damage them and the fight progresses. But the bosses of stage 3, 4 and 5 are much, much simpler, with only 2 patterns each that they bounce between predictably (although said patterns do get mildly more difficult as it goes on), which kind of ends up making them feel easier than the first two. The final boss has a pretty complicated pattern and is a decent challenge, and stages 3, 4 and 5 feature decently difficult platforming, so these toothless mid-game bosses stick out even more. The boss of stage 4 is especially egregious, as he only needs to be hit 3 times on top of having a very simple pattern even a toddler could learn.

This is a very minor ding on an otherwise pretty fun game, though. If you want to see what an old school platformer transformed to fit modern sensibilities done right is like, this is a good purchase, especially on sale. I sure wish they'd remake some of the other titles in this series, especially the one where you can play as Donald as player 2!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 4, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh and of course

The skittles video game

I keep forgetting this exists

This is the worst post you’ve ever made and I think that’s saying something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005