Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I am deeply skeptical of a €/$350 Fanatec base. Didnt they also promise the original DD bases to be a lower price then jacked the poo poo out of the prices for ~reasons~ ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
They started putting the DD2 motor into the DD1 because the original DD1 motor didn't meet standards. Original preorders got that "upgrade" free of charge but for new buyers they increased the price to keep their margins.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think a good rule of thumb is do not buy a V1 Fanatec product.

They usually get it right on V2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MotoGP 21 is out now, and it got me thinking if motorbikes racing will ever get added to iRacing. :thunk:

Or really any racing sim at all for that matter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The mechanics of riding a motorcycle just don’t translate to sims well

As a lifelong motorcyclist and a sim racing fan, trust me this frustrates me to no end.

Motorcycles are so much about body positioning, and countersteering which is hard to replicate at all, let alone with an Xbox controller or something like that, and no sim hardware exists (as far as I know) to do it

For example, you’d need to have a set of sim handlebars that, at low speed could turn lock to lock to steer the bike, as you would a bicycle, but once you get going, it needs to stiffen up, like to the point of loadcell pedal stiffness and then accept opposite inputs for steering (i.e. push slightly on the right bar to turn right at speed). And the inputs need to be wildly different as far as range of motion. At high speed you’re just putting pressure on the bars to turn, at low speed you’re literally manhandling the bars and forcing them to turn

This is to say nothing of body positioning and how it affects the bike.

Cars are just so much easier because a car seat is easily approximated by literally any other seat, your body positioning doesn’t matter at all, and the wheel works the same way at high speed as it does at low speed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah it's kinda the same issue as karting where the physical element is so much a part of the experience, but karts at least have the same basic controls as our toy wheels. There's been a few people try and make bike controllers but none of them have ever gotten very far.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly it would be so exhausting because you can't replicate the actual experience without the rider actually shifting their weight that often and that much. I guess at least no G's.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The mechanics of riding a motorcycle just don’t translate to sims well

As a lifelong motorcyclist and a sim racing fan, trust me this frustrates me to no end.

Motorcycles are so much about body positioning, and countersteering which is hard to replicate at all, let alone with an Xbox controller or something like that, and no sim hardware exists (as far as I know) to do it

For example, you’d need to have a set of sim handlebars that, at low speed could turn lock to lock to steer the bike, as you would a bicycle, but once you get going, it needs to stiffen up, like to the point of loadcell pedal stiffness and then accept opposite inputs for steering (i.e. push slightly on the right bar to turn right at speed). And the inputs need to be wildly different as far as range of motion. At high speed you’re just putting pressure on the bars to turn, at low speed you’re literally manhandling the bars and forcing them to turn

This is to say nothing of body positioning and how it affects the bike.

Cars are just so much easier because a car seat is easily approximated by literally any other seat, your body positioning doesn’t matter at all, and the wheel works the same way at high speed as it does at low speed.

This is a more extreme version of the issues that flight sim controls have. In a light aircraft at rest, the controls have next to no resistance to them, and the only force really acting on them is gravity on the control surface itself, and friction of the control cables/rods. As the aircraft accelerates, the relative wind load on the controls tightens them up, and more and more force is required to move them from their resting (trailing) position. For most flying, you’re flying by pressure on the controls, since control forces vary by speed, rather than position of the controls, very similar to a load cell brake pedal. In sim gear, with vanishingly few exceptions, all input is by position only, with a simple (mostly) linear centering spring. You can certainly fly a sim like this, and return-spring flight sim gear is a big business...

...But I lust after a true direct-drive-equivalent flight control set, with pitch, roll, and yaw all simulated properly. Logitech made a very halting, terrible try at this with the G940, and a company called Iris Dynamics had a demo at E3 and a Kickstarter a few years back that was super promising, but went nowhere. Recently, a Swiss company called Brunner Innovations began making a direct drive control stick (that uses TM warthog grips, which is a pretty slick move,) a direct drive yoke (if that’s your bag,) and direct drive rudder pedals.

The stick base alone is over $1500USD, so I haven’t made any serious plans, but I really want them to do well.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 24, 2021

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MrYenko posted:

This is a more extreme version of the issues that flight sim controls have. In a light aircraft at rest, the controls have next to no resistance to them, and the only force really acting on them is gravity on the control surface itself, and friction of the control cables/rods. As the aircraft accelerates, the relative wind load on the controls tightens them up, and more and more force is required to move them from their resting (trailing) position. For most flying, you’re flying by pressure on the controls, since control forces vary by speed, rather than position of the controls, very similar to a load cell brake pedal.

Is that still true with fly by wire system?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Honestly it would be so exhausting because you can't replicate the actual experience without the rider actually shifting their weight that often and that much. I guess at least no G's.

Yeah this is a problem too. On a bike when you lean off in a turn, the bike standing back up coming out of the corner, and the g forces of the corner itself help push you back into the seat.

It’s why arcade games with leaning bike controllers like super hang on are also not realistic because on those you have to pull yourself up on to the bike, rather than physics pushing you back.

If you were in an actual sim race on a super hang on type controller at race pace, you’d make it like two laps before you were too exhausted to get back in the seat. Actual motorcycle racing is absolutely exhausting already and they don’t even have to deal with that.

Also there are the small things with bikes like if you brake while leaned over the bike wants to stand upright, so you have to actively anticipate and counter that while riding, and the force that it wants to stand up with is proportional to speed and lean angle and also varies with frame geometry.

Bike sim racing is a crazy complicated thing and I wish it were an easy solution because I’d never do anything else.

MrYenko posted:

This is a more extreme version of the issues that flight sim controls have. In a light aircraft at rest, the controls have next to no resistance to them, and the only force really acting on them is gravity on the control surface itself, and friction of the control cables/rods. As the aircraft accelerates, the relative wind load on the controls tightens them up, and more and more force is required to move them from their resting (trailing) position.

This is real talk. The first time I flew a real plane I was shocked by how hard the controls were to move in flight, despite knowing that it would be the case

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 24, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It's certainly not perfect but the bike sims gp bikes and mx bikes are pretty loving fun and while you play with an Xbox controller I think they kinda capture the feeling of riding a bike, at least better then most of the other bike games I've played.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tourist trophy on ps2 was another game that captured the mechanics of body position very well and your lap times would not be great if your rider wasn’t where they should be

Polyphony Digital, the makers of gran turismo made that game and I really wish they’d revisit it

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Sininu posted:

Is that still true with fly by wire system?

Depends somewhat on the specific system. Boeing I believe simulates more "feel" than Airbus does, for example, but all have to have some level of "resistance."

There's a thing here that cites some sources with more info: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/800/do-fly-by-wire-flight-controls-in-airliners-provide-artificial-feel

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shortspecialbus posted:

Depends somewhat on the specific system. Boeing I believe simulates more "feel" than Airbus does, for example, but all have to have some level of "resistance."

There's a thing here that cites some sources with more info: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/800/do-fly-by-wire-flight-controls-in-airliners-provide-artificial-feel

Bingo. Even aircraft like the DC-10 and L1011 which have manual control but huge hydraulic assist have artificial “feel” systems.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Bingo. Even aircraft like the DC-10 and L1011 which have manual control but huge hydraulic assist have artificial “feel” systems.

Yep. The only reason the Airbus gets away with less is because the computer stops you from doing weird things. Without that feel, doing weird things that may crash the plane is really easy to do. There's also a reason stick shakers are mandatory on both sides of airliners with fly by wire now, after this spectacular crash that was at least partly caused by only the captain's side having a stick shaker, which became disabled after the loss of the engine since it wasn't redundant.

Sorry, I'm getting really off topic for the sim racing thread.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Motorcycles are so much about body positioning

Imagine the sort of rig you'd need to effectively simulate sidehacking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol worlds first two player sim rig where both players are in control

It would be amazing but ridiculous

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Amazon has the Driving Force G29 on sale for $235.99

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Dual-motor-Feedback-Responsive-PlayStation/dp/B00Z0UWWYC

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you've been on the fence about AMS2's season pass until they announce what's actually going to be in it beyond the individual track DLC, they've announced some of the first big expansion's contents in the April dev update. Specifically the first part of the Racin' USA expansion (which is now being split into 3 smaller packs) is focused on sports cars with the Porsche 911 RSR, BMW M8 and Corvette C8R GTE cars and the Cadillac DPI prototype alongside Long Beach, Laguna Seca and Daytona. The second part is going to be open wheel focused (so hopefully an officially licensed Indycar and possibly some of the Road to Indy stuff) and the third part oval focused.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I finally switched to triples and boy howdy is that neat. I went from a single 43" 4K screen to 3 27" 1080p screens (1440p would arguably have been better but my 2080ti was going to struggle to drive those in Dirt Rally 2.0 and ACC, which I play the most, and I don't like non-native rendering) and it's pretty cool! I haven't tested it a lot yet but it feels pretty immersive. I was able to get the screens closer than the previous monitor as well, which is nice.

I ended up having to do some metal cutting and other engineering due to the mount I chose being apparently inappropriate for my rig, and I don't even want to think about the massive amount of cable management I still have to do, but I'm pretty happy.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

After doing lots of VR racing I"m 1/2 tempted to go back to 3 screen racing I just need somethign more than a 1070. It would be wonky becuaes I have 2 24" and 1 27" but that's for antoher day when I can buy video cards.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just lol at the idea of buying a video card at any point in the near future.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

shortspecialbus posted:

I finally switched to triples and boy howdy is that neat. I went from a single 43" 4K screen to 3 27" 1080p screens (1440p would arguably have been better but my 2080ti was going to struggle to drive those in Dirt Rally 2.0 and ACC, which I play the most, and I don't like non-native rendering) and it's pretty cool! I haven't tested it a lot yet but it feels pretty immersive. I was able to get the screens closer than the previous monitor as well, which is nice.

I ended up having to do some metal cutting and other engineering due to the mount I chose being apparently inappropriate for my rig, and I don't even want to think about the massive amount of cable management I still have to do, but I'm pretty happy.

Yeah I've been running triple 24" 1080p monitors for a year now. Last night I grabbed this screenshot in trucksim

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
someone was asking a while ago about a microsoft flight sim style racing sim that would allow you to drive through the whole world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IHexdiiL3c

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vasukhani posted:

someone was asking a while ago about a microsoft flight sim style racing sim that would allow you to drive through the whole world

gently caress yeah, very impressive. And the thing is, if you used that as a starting template and then had a processing pass where you replaced the cars and buildings with high-poly assets from a library, you could make it look significantly better but keep most of the accuracy and automation.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
10/10 would drive through a bombed out version of my neighborhood in a formula one car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

I saw that, yeah, it's pretty cool.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

If anyone has been on the fence about iracing, this is quite possibly the cheapest a one year subscription has ever been for new accounts:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The subscription is a gateway drug.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Vasukhani posted:

Some day we'll totally have the data to do that right. At this stage of fidelity I'd buy it if you plugged it into Truck Simulator instead of a racing sim.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Some day we'll totally have the data to do that right. At this stage of fidelity I'd buy it if you plugged it into Truck Simulator instead of a racing sim.

they did this already, it was called Vette, it was an awesome racing game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTrRvDPjQM4

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 6, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So many hours spent playing Vette on ancient macs in the schools computer lab

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That game was my gateway to simracing poo poo when I was a wee one.
I owned it for my mac at home and I spent countless hours playing it.. going down the hills with gravity set to zero in the settings was super fun.
Finally ordered a "mouse wheel" that you'd strap your mouse in but it sucked because it really was just a thing you strapped you mouse to and only worked okay while you held the w key to move forward or used the strap to hold down the mouse button somehow.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 6, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

The subscription is a gateway drug.

"iRacing would be a good value if only the subscription was cheaper" - nobody ever

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KillHour posted:

"iRacing would be a good value if only the subscription was cheaper" - nobody ever
Tell that to "My Name (8)" soon to be "My Name (9)". I only sign up when its $5 for 3 months or something.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I currently have a Driving Force GT.

Someone on marketplace is selling this for $300:

(G29, shifter, stand)

Should I bite and try to sell the GT? Currently don't have a wheel stand or anything. Dunno if I should be waiting for a better deal...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you’re happy with your DFGT then keep it and just buy a stand, if you want to upgrade it then that’s a pretty good deal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cage posted:

Tell that to "My Name (8)" soon to be "My Name (9)". I only sign up when its $5 for 3 months or something.

Do you only ever race rookie oval or something?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dehumanize yourself and face to wheelstand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cage posted:

do you only race free races?
I feel like 80-90bux a year for black Friday deal is good enough savings. sometimes i'll re-sub when they send a resub message. This year I"m trying somethign new, no summer iracing so I let myself lapse and I'll pick it back up in sept or Oct when it gets lovely here.. I rarely race in the summer. most of my money is in tracks and cars.