Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bollig posted:

Well a lot of my friends really liked season 3 of Discovery. But in retrospect they were all people who say Voyager is their favorite series, but generally speaking I thought it would be fun to like watch a Star Trek series week-to-week, something I've never done. And then when it's off the air, go back to TNG. She actually doesn't mind it all things considered and she's sort of like me in that we're both write/have written for a living so we can bitch about the dialogue and about how on-the-nose everything is. It's something inoffensive that we can put on in the background and barely pay attention to.

Did you meet your friends at a TBI support group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Applewhite posted:

Discovery is really terrible and not even interesting enough to watch ironically. Personally I feel like you’re wasting your time. TNG is corny and dumb but at the end of all but a handful of episodes you’re left with a good feeling, like things will all turn out right in the end.

real talk time they were both saying, independantly that there were episodes in the 3rd season that were 'some of the best television that they have ever watched'. What sort of lense should I view this through?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bollig posted:

real talk time they were both saying, independantly that there were episodes in the 3rd season that were 'some of the best television that they have ever watched'. What sort of lense should I view this through?
Insanity

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bollig posted:

That sounds like something my dad would say about Disco, but he really is not going to trick me into watching it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Season 3 is better than the previous 2. Also season 1 is better than season 2. Much better. Like if you're having trouble with season 1 just lol when you get to season 2.

Why not just skip to season three? I could summarize in like, a single sentence what you'd need to know going into S3.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
8472 must have evolved inside a shell world. Gravity must be somehow inverted, though how would that work at all? Their ships have gaseous atmospheres rather than fluid. Trying to get a ship to fly fast through fluid must be a massive ballache. :iiam:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Collateral posted:

8472 must have evolved inside a shell world. Gravity must be somehow inverted, though how would that work at all? Their ships have gaseous atmospheres rather than fluid. Trying to get a ship to fly fast through fluid must be a massive ballache. :iiam:

Don't think about Voyager too hard, your head will cave in.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wait there was a season 3 of discovery?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

decade old Dr. Who or new Star Trek?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
You can post Picard / Discovery episode plots without context and you can probably pass them off as Dr Who ones (and vice versa)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Collateral posted:

The fluid on fluidic space has mass. So if there was a shell world, the pull of gravity would be towards the outside as there is far more mass in that direction than in the bubble of atmosphere

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azathoth posted:

This is a dumb and stupid take. That is clearly Blake's Seven :pseudo:.

bollig posted:

Keys were jingled, lights flashed, the CGI was legitimately very pretty (and the only good part of the season).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Equilibrium

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bollig posted:

The lens of the type of basic-rear end loser who thinks Batman: Dark Knight is deep and philosophical.

Without even watching the episodes or hearing their synopses I can tell you they do not rank among the "best television" nor even "good television."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

All that money, years later and the show still looks like trash. Absolutely incredible.

E: I know people who enjoy the show but the only person I can think of who says it's actually well produced and written is also the most emotionally stunted individual I can think of and I don't think that's a coincidence at this point

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Just missing a american flag, then it would be perfect Art

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Collateral posted:

They may not have evolved at all. A pocket universe that contains exactly one species. They could be a long forgotten science experiment. A high tech version of those sealed bottle terrariums.

We don't wonder how bacteria managed to evolve in a petri dish. They didn't.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fishstick posted:

You can post Picard / Discovery episode plots without context and you can probably pass them off as Dr Who ones (and vice versa)

I'd be able to tell the difference.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if anyone says "may the 4th be with you" to me today im going to give them the vulcan neck pinch.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

At least Doctor Who isn't so mindlessly violent and nihilistic

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

numberoneposter posted:

if anyone says "may the 4th be with you" to me today im going to give them the vulcan neck pinch.
Here you go

https://twitter.com/elijahcraan/status/1389594828053286916?s=21

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Can't leave out the best captain.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I saw a cool photosphere js library online and I realised I could rip a bunch of things from some old CDs I had so I did so: presenting

STUFF THAT WAS COOL IN THE 90s

It's like an evening and a half's work so it's probably buggy so don't blame me if it breaks.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

numberoneposter posted:

This is the May.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
welp

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

MikeJF posted:

I saw a cool photosphere js library online and I realised I could rip a bunch of things from some old CDs I had so I did so: presenting

It's like an evening and a half's work so it's probably buggy so don't blame me if it breaks.

Neat. I have the old TNG Interactive Technical Manual on CD-ROM from like 1994. Used Quicktime VR and probably has those same Enterprise-D panoramas in it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

Neat. I have the old TNG Interactive Technical Manual on CD-ROM from like 1994. Used Quicktime VR and probably has those same Enterprise-D panoramas in it.

That is one of the aforementioned CDs I ripped from, indeed. That and Captain's Chair.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I have a Star Trek 30th anniversary CD. It has several scores from the 4 shows that existed at the time, and it was one of those high tech “enhanced CDs” where putting it into the computer installed bullshit that let you play a Borg shooting flash game and contained a super low resolution version of the First Contact trailer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Happy may the farth

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

This is Violence.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I know it makes sense to hide his ears, but something is making me lol about Tuvok in a do-rag. And then Sarah Silverman shows up.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

That episode is pretty fun. Gotta be in the top 15% of voyager at least

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah. I stopped to eat dinner, so I've still got like 15 minutes of the second episode left. But it's extremely fun. Tom's not quite passing as a 20th century person is excellent.

Or maybe I should call it "groovy" lmao.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

MikeJF posted:

Nice, but goddamn those carpets...

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah. I stopped to eat dinner, so I've still got like 15 minutes of the second episode left. But it's extremely fun. Tom's not quite passing as a 20th century person is excellent.

Or maybe I should call it "groovy" lmao.

The first time I watched this episode I called the FAR OUT BRAAAHHH right before the dude in the opening said it and I felt real smart. But yeah this one is pretty good

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I have to wonder what it would've been like if they had gone with their original plan of doing a whole season in the 20th Century.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I have to wonder what it would've been like if they had gone with their original plan of doing a whole season in the 20th Century.

It would have been worth it for all the people tuning in every week like "did I miss something about the premise of this show...?"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

It would have been worth it for all the people tuning in every week like "did I miss something about the premise of this show...?"

I would love if they just had to have awkward expository dialogue each episode. The first line of every episode starting with “ever since we were trapped in the 20th century after a rogue time cop went nuts and attacked us...”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished TNG and started DS9 and boy the drop from remastered film to just straight video release is significant.

Also makes it evident what a wonderful job they did with TNG remaster.