Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

mastershakeman posted:

Are you playing solo? Come hop on the fresh goon server i just posted the discord to. We arent even as kitted as you but like to do a lot of the cooking and building stuff

Also for silver upgrading your forge doesn't need to be maxed. You do have to bring iron up but not much, I think it's like 10

? it all needs a grade 5 forge to get grade 4 upgrades where available (and the shield only gets grade 3 even with max upgrades).

I can see the argument for keeping to relatively low upgrades, but honestly, with how hard the Pains is at the start I wanna make sure I have every possible advantage, and mining the silver isn't an issue particularly. Running the iron up was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

thespaceinvader posted:

And I really don't wanna try soloing the plains without max level silver gear

Even base level silver gear will let you walk around the plains without getting instakilled by anything that isn't a two star. Just put a portal nearby.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

dogstile posted:

Even base level silver gear will let you walk around the plains without getting instakilled by anything that isn't a two star. Just put a portal nearby.

If all I wanted to do was walk around, I'd be fine, then ;)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I had plenty of fun murdering stuff in the plains with iron equipment and troll armor because I haven't actually mined any silver yet. :v:

I wouldn't recommend it for others unless, like me, you use a mod that minimizes the consequences of death (I use Skill Fortification so my skills don't drop quite as much) because plains stuff is murderous but it's definitely the most fun I had with the game from an actual combat perspective.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GlyphGryph posted:

I had plenty of fun murdering stuff in the plains with iron equipment and troll armor because I haven't actually mined any silver yet. :v:

I wouldn't recommend it for others unless, like me, you use a mod that minimizes the consequences of death (I use Skill Fortification so my skills don't drop quite as much) because plains stuff is murderous but it's definitely the most fun I had with the game from an actual combat perspective.

This fresh run I'm gonna try doing the same with bronze only and straight to end game. Last one I jumped from troll/bronze axe to wolf armor , stuck with axe, then plains armor and black metal axe. Also get good at rolling so I won't have to worth about chains

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
In my experience iron armor worked fine in the plains as long as you play defensively and run away from more than 1 or 2 fulings. Food is just as important as gear, if not more. Serpent stew especially is not hard to get and provides a huge boost, the other "endgame" foods are locked behind killing Moder which is a little annoying. I am looking forward to seeing what they do with more recipes in the hearth and home update.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even with max upgraded padded armor that's how you have to play the plains, furlings and lox will easily gently caress you up even with the best food turned on. While the armor means you technically take less damage, it still only takes 3-4 unblocked hits to put you on a corpse run and with the size of furling packs that's a life expectancy of about 0.69 seconds. If you don't parry or backpedal in the plains you gonna die.

The padded armor does make deathsquitoes a non issue though, so I guess that's nice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ravenfood posted:

You know, it's kind of weird that peat isn't a swamp resource. Maybe they should let you build incredibly long-lasting/permanent torches with it.

Or stand-in for coal, just to avoid that little grind too.

Spoilers for a fun way to avoid that little grind

Sail south. Find constantly dying Surtlings. Build a little tower with a portal, and just run around collecting free coal. Name the portal Fort Mac or somethin :canada:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Or find Surtling spawners in the Swamp and dig them under the water level...

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
For those of you who don't know, using a Surtling Core on a Bonfire fires off a flare into the sky visible from quite a ways away. Never say swamp resources never got you anything .

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Edit: Oh I misread, ignore me

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 4, 2021

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I think this game would be infinitely more fun with some matchmaking. Playing alone is good but after a while the grind gets excessive.

I would add that the plains are survivable in iron gear but you defo gotta be defensive. Getting 1 shot is not much fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Or find Surtling spawners in the Swamp and dig them under the water level...

That's another option, but do you get enough spawns that way? Also the journey is half the fun.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

That's another option, but do you get enough spawns that way? Also the journey is half the fun.

I found a swamp with 4+ spawners, I put a portal in the middle and would go there whenever I needed cores/coal.

As soon as you stepped out of the portal you just hear the screams of ~20 dying surtlings.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 5, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Surtling spawners have a 5 minute cool-down. Portal in, grab some coal, portal out and wait 5 minutes - they'll have respawned.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Holy poo poo I had no idea about the flare

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

A friend built this...

The madness inside:

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Not that I'm an ultra fan of randomly generated dungeons but anyone notice they kinda just end after the swamps? I think I cleared all the plains content by accident just looking for the boss pop. Like not even the totems, just trying to find where the boss is (got like 9 totems by accident before finding a hint rune)

Feels like mountains and plains have one SOMETHING missing. Maybe not dungeons per se but just one more something.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 5, 2021

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Blaise330 posted:

Not that I'm an ultra fan of randomly generated dungeons but anyone notice they kinda just end after the swamps? I think I cleared all the plains content by accident just looking for the boss pop. Like not even the totems, just trying to find where the boss is (got like 9 totems by accident before finding a hint rune)

Feels like mountains and plains have one SOMETHING missing. Maybe not dungeons per se but just one more something.

Yeah, was the same for me. Especially plains need much more as berries and 2 very deadly enemies

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

haldolium posted:

Yeah, was the same for me. Especially plains need much more as berries and 2 very deadly enemies

Though cloudberries being so prevalent was such a nice relief after the hell that is gathering raspberries for health meads and minor stamina meads.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Space Skeleton posted:

The madness inside:

Madness is right, reminds me of an Escher, or Piranesi Imaginary Prison. This game still boggles my mind for how atmospheric it is for being so simple.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This really implies to me that raspberries and blueberries should be becoming farmable with Hearth and Home, since one of the properties, IIRC, of cloudberries IRL is that they can't be cultivated (or are super, super hard to cultivate, anyway), whereas the little farms you sometimes see full of raspberry bushes and the fact that raspberries are easy to grow kind of implies that we might be able to farm them in future, which would be nice.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

They dropped a clue image with their latest teaser on April 23rd. What the hell could this thing be? Boots?

I love the fact that I can facetank every little enemy in the swamps now, but still manage to die if I don't top off my foods or pay attention to my stamina. There's something really humbling about making a corpse run into the swamps because a no star blob got the best of you.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm generally annoyed by food/thirst mechanics in games because they usually end up something like "you get hungry within 2 minutes after eating, and you'll take constant DOT if hungry" or some other bullshit.

But I enjoy how it's done in Valheim. Different foods do different things in terms of duration/hp amount/stamina amount. And you're not going to die if you're just messing around your camp and forget to eat for 5 minutes, but you'll most likely die out in combat without eating.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

They dropped a clue image with their latest teaser on April 23rd. What the hell could this thing be? Boots?

No idea about the first image, but I guess the second one could possibly be running water?

quote:

This last picture will be a pretty big part of the update, with many new items relating to it, can you guess what it is?

If it is, I'm guessing the update will include some form of water-powered mill or other workstation. Maybe more growable crops that you can process into food ingredients?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

Plains just need iron ore veins imo

Bioshuffle posted:

My money is on it being an armor stand

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

My money is on it being an armor stand

Just lol if this is it. Dudes are sitting on a mountain of tens of millions and if an armor stand is one of the 2 major content updates after 3 months, it would be pretty indicative of the game being at a near end state for the next year or so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Hearth and Home update has been described explicitly as adding "more stuff to do in and around the house". My hopes of getting interesting (to me anyway) new content are not high.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

PittTheElder posted:

The Hearth and Home update has been described explicitly as adding "more stuff to do in and around the house". My hopes of getting interesting (to me anyway) new content are not high.

Whereas more stuff to do in and around the house is exactly the content I crave, desperately. Both sides, many sides

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
e: double post

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

PittTheElder posted:

Really hope this is more “stuff to do around your house that requires you to gather new resources in the world” and not just “look we added a new cooking recipe that requires turnips AND carrots!”

I understand that there’s a different quality level between a mod and an official feature, but it’s wild how easy it is to mod unity games, and how much this games community has done so, in comparison to how much official content has been/will be released.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Plains just need iron ore veins imo

ANd the ability to make Chain at the Artisan Table.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I've mined out my first swamp and am heading for a mountain next. Thing is, I don't know what to do with the 180ish spare iron I've got hanging around. Is it worth building a longship and hauling all that stuff with me in case I need it at my mountain base? I feel fairly set for armor but could play around with a sword or atgeir.

When I moved from black forest to swamp it was pretty easy to remember to bring bronze and copper forge stuff with me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'll need armor in the future. Not for the mountains phase though, unless you start doing ironwood construction.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'd say make a sword because swords are great, but also just hang onto it for now. It gets used again in more stuff later.

thespaceinvader posted:

ANd the ability to make Chain at the Artisan Table.

I gotta say it's kinda weird that you don't actually do anything at the artisan table. #EarlyAccessThings

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

causticBeet posted:

I understand that there’s a different quality level between a mod and an official feature, but it’s wild how easy it is to mod unity games, and how much this games community has done so, in comparison to how much official content has been/will be released.

It kind of makes sense. There are what, six people on the dev team? There are just more modders plugging away at doing stuff, and the modders don't have to worry about working on what's in the pipeline.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I've mined out my first swamp and am heading for a mountain next. Thing is, I don't know what to do with the 180ish spare iron I've got hanging around. Is it worth building a longship and hauling all that stuff with me in case I need it at my mountain base? I feel fairly set for armor but could play around with a sword or atgeir.

When I moved from black forest to swamp it was pretty easy to remember to bring bronze and copper forge stuff with me.

You'll want to bring enough with you for forge upgrades and a stonecutter if you want to use them, but you don't need it in the mountains particularly other than that. Hold on to it, you need it later.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Fun fact about Trade Winds: If you go east-west by the edge of the map you eventually run to winds that blow max speed towards the edge of the map. This means you get absolute maximum speed for sailing north-south with no impedimenting islands. Not even Moder Buff can change their direction.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Blaise330 posted:

Tunnels at the very least, though I think I read something by the developer they have no real plans for tunnels or non-instanced dungeons due to some sort of game engine limitation in the open world map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would think they can't actually go through the heightmap layer, so you're limited to pre-modeled and placed arches and stuff.