Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

haveblue posted:

Where did that guy get an unrestrained bear? Who would agree to provide a bear and let it run completely free in a developed area, near VIPs and audience members? Is the handler right now on the bus, tied to a chair, screaming about how the consequences are not his responsibility? Did they just lure a wild bear out of the woods themselves? I have so many questions.

The bear is enclosed in a series of wires which I'm assuming is an electric fence of some kind. You can make them out in some of the pictures.

Which begs the question of why the candidate is so close to electrified wires that can stop a bear, but he is running as a 'Beast'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

Yes, the recall ballot has two questions

1) Should Newsom be recalled?
2) If so, who should replace him?

If the first question doesn't pass than the second doesn't matter.

So far they've been unified in not putting any Dems on the candidate so it doesn't give incentives for anyone for vote for question one.
To get on the ballot you only need to fill out a form and pay the $8k filing fee so there's gonna be a lot of crazies on there.
Also, for #2 it's whoever gets the most votes wins. Even if there are a zillion candidates and the winner is well short of 50%, that person becomes Governor and finishes out Newsom's term.

Since GOP candidates can only sometimes get above 40% for any statewide office, you can see why the CA party has become enamored with recall elections.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

So far they've been unified in not putting any Dems on the list of candidates so it doesn't give incentives for anyone for vote for question one.
To get on the ballot you only need to fill out a form and pay the $8k filing fee so there's gonna be a lot of crazies on there.

What if the first question passes, but there's no clear majority for the second? Are we going to see a situation where 45% of voters want to keep Newsom, but he gets replaced by Jenner who only gets 25%?

^^^^^ Question answered, and holy poo poo that's an insane system. How is any governor NOT getting recalled? Would Jenner or whoever be subject to a recall immediately or is there some limitation?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lord Harbor posted:

What if the first question passes, but there's no clear majority for the second? Are we going to see a situation where 45% of voters want to keep Newsom, but he gets replaced by Jenner who only gets 25%?

Yes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lord Harbor posted:

^^^^^ Question answered, and holy poo poo that's an insane system. How is any governor NOT getting recalled? Would Jenner or whoever be subject to a recall immediately or is there some limitation?

You could file a recall petition as soon as Jenner is sworn in. But, Jenner would only be serving out the rest of Newsom's term. So, you'd end up with a recall election scheduled for the same day as the normal election would be anyway.

California's ballot measure system is very permissive and enshrined in the state constitution.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I consider myself very liberal on most issues but I am also somewhat anti-witch. I think Democrats could win a lot of seats where they're currently locked out if they just stopped talking about witches, and sometimes actually being witches. I talk to a lot of people at the weekly Witch-Hunting association who say they would like to vote blue except for this one issue. Food for thought.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lord Harbor posted:

That's the GOP's strategy, yes. Which is why the Dems are trying to stay united in not letting anyone on the ballot who even looks remotely appealing and making the question just "Do you want a republican governor?"

For your second question I think the only barrier to triggering a recall election is getting signatures from 11% of the state (which is absurdly low IMO).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ague Proof posted:

I consider myself very liberal on most issues but I am also somewhat anti-witch. I think Democrats could win a lot of seats where they're currently locked out if they just stopped talking about witches, and sometimes actually being witches. I talk to a lot of people at the weekly Witch-Hunting association who say they would like to vote blue except for this one issue. Food for thought.

What about the Witch platform of free potions and tinctures?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

Again, I'm not a witch. I'm you.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Christine O'Donnell account and stans spotted.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lol
The CIA is one of the most inept intelligence agencies in history and has been so since it's inception.

Staring in South American at this quote.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lord Harbor posted:

It's pretty expensive to collect enough signatures so it's really only worth it if you think you have a decent shot at winning a majority on the removal question. The reason the GOP doesn't try to recall every governor is that voters would get sick of it and just go "gently caress you sore losers, no". But yeah anytime the governor is unpopular or they think they can make hay out of a scandal they try it, I mean why not.

It's also a gamble: in 2003 the top Republican in the state (I forget his name and I don't care enough to google it, you can though) funded the recall effort against Gray Davis with millions of dollars of his own money, expecting to be a shoo-in against the divided Democrats in disarray, then whoops a big Hollywood celebrity swooped in and grabbed the votes right out from under him. And the GOP turned out to be not much happier with liberal RINO Schwarzenegger than a Democrat anyway. They bitched and moaned for years because Arnold didn't hate the environment hard enough for them.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

SporkChan posted:

The bear is enclosed in a series of wires which I'm assuming is an electric fence of some kind. You can make them out in some of the pictures.

Which begs the question of why the candidate is so close to electrified wires that can stop a bear, but he is running as a 'Beast'.

Maybe you're supposed to vote for the bear?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FCKGW posted:

So far they've been unified in not putting any Dems on the list of candidates so it doesn't give incentives for anyone for vote for question one.

Flashback to 2003:

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
Looks like Barr and Trump might be in a bit of trouble.

https://thehill.com/regulation/551755-judge-orders-release-of-trump-obstruction-memo-accuses-barr-of-being-disingenuous?amp

Judge Reggie Walton posted:

"The inconsistencies between Attorney General Barr's statements, made at a time when the public did not have access to the redacted version of the Mueller Report to assess the veracity of his statements, and portions of the redacted version of the Mueller Report that conflict with those statements cause the Court to seriously question whether Attorney General Barr made a calculated attempt to influence public discourse about the Mueller Report in favor of President Trump despite certain findings in the redacted version of the Mueller Report to the contrary," Walton wrote in his decision.

"These circumstances generally, and Attorney General Barr's lack of candor specifically, call into question Attorney General Barr's credibility," he added.

In a nutshell, looks like Barr was using the DOJ to shield Trump and "misleading" the court on how they were internally handling it, pretending they were seriously considering prosecution but gosh darn shoot the OLC memo about sitting presidents can't be charged just got in the way... When in reality, yeah, they were never going to do it. It was just a dog and pony show.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Xaiter posted:

Looks like Barr and Trump might be in a bit of trouble.

https://thehill.com/regulation/551755-judge-orders-release-of-trump-obstruction-memo-accuses-barr-of-being-disingenuous?amp

In a nutshell, looks like Barr was using the DOJ to shield Trump and "misleading" the court on how they were internally handling it, pretending they were seriously considering prosecution but gosh darn shoot the OLC memo about sitting presidents can't be charged just got in the way... When in reality, yeah, they were never going to do it. It was just a dog and pony show.

"Call into question the credibility" of the Iran Contra guy? Why I never! :rolleyes:

When can we just start openly saying "hey guy is little lying weasel and has been for years"?

Barr never had any credibility to begin with.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:lol: Rudy. If you start costing him money he doesnt love you anymore.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1389660136529072137

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1389663345456865291

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1389664323786743810

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perhaps Rudy can reach out to him on his new social media platform webpage
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1389677896206221312

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's absolutely amazing and hilarious that someone actually talked Trump out of his pardon extravaganza (probably because he's petty and mad he couldn't pardon himself), because it seems like all of his flunkies and hell, most of the GOP were expecting to be saved with pre-emptive pardons.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

It's absolutely amazing and hilarious that someone actually talked Trump out of his pardon extravaganza (probably because he's petty and mad he couldn't pardon himself), because it seems like all of his flunkies and hell, most of the GOP were expecting to be saved with pre-emptive pardons.

I think that Trumps calculus has to in part be based on making all these sycophants continue to fight in court to save themselves. If he had pardoned them they may have been compelled to provide evidence of their crimes (not a lawyer, not sure how true this is) which could implicate Trump.

This way seems like it will spread everything out for years more as cases are brought and won or lost and appealed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

i don't think anyone talked trump out of pardoning rudy. i think trump refused to pardon rudy because rudy failed to overturn the election. that was not a smart move by trump because rudy has dirt on trump.

i think people talked trump out of pardoning random flunkies who didn't pose any risk to trump

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:psyduck:

how are there still people surprised that Trump doesn't pay them for work they did for him, that's the defining feature of his businesses going back decades, it's like being shocked he put his name up somewhere in giant tacky gold letters

I know I know, each one of them thinks all those other stiffed contractors and employees were patsies, and they're big shots who won't get stepped on like the little guys, but still

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Another quality website!

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/1389682242549690371

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1389678740205051904

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

zoux posted:

why is Donnie sharpie-ing that book.

also where's his other desk material and why is he writing like a two inch size font.

also jesus gently caress imagine having such a shity site when squarepace/whatever services youtubers are shilling these days are available

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 4, 2021

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008
lmao @ that JSON:
code:
"success":"yes"
I dunno about that buddy.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Lord Harbor posted:

I strongly suspect polling is going to shift heavily towards no recall as time goes on. We're looking fairly good when it comes to COVID all things considered, and whether or not this thread/coronavirus thread agree, we're looking at things being basically completely open by the time we get to November.

"Hey, everything's open, you can go to Disneyland, s&f at Denny's, do pretty much whatever you want, do you think Gavin Newsom sucks?" "He seems fine I guess?"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

What is he hosting this site on and why haven't they taken it down for hate speech?

Either way.. having his message truncated to half of the first sentence when tweeted and having to click on it to read it kind of defeats the whole point of twitter. Like nobody is reading it because it's too much effort.

And it's probably too much effort for him to post on, because he can't just fire off a random post on the toilet. Someone is editing these, which takes away the rawness of what his twitter was. It doesn't even feel like him, this could be someone else for all we know posting as him

It's so telling because this blog has been up over a month and I literally don't see anybody posting about it anywhere.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

i don't think anyone talked trump out of pardoning rudy. i think trump refused to pardon rudy because rudy failed to overturn the election. that was not a smart move by trump because rudy has dirt on trump.

i think people talked trump out of pardoning random flunkies who didn't pose any risk to trump

If you're pardoned for crimes that they are specifically investigating you can't plead the fifth because you can't incriminate yourself. Trump pardoned noone so they could still plead the fifth.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
whatever happen to Frank.

Also cant wait for regressives to shout that libs are hacking Donnie's site, but rightclicking page info

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Conservative coders are the worst coders.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Can't imagine the load-bearing slurs used to make that website.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oracle posted:

If you're pardoned for crimes that they are specifically investigating you can't plead the fifth because you can't incriminate yourself. Trump pardoned noone so they could still plead the fifth.

I think the usefulness of this is overstated: then rudy just claims he can't remember, just like every witness does who doesn't want to testify.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

CommieGIR posted:

Conservative coders are the worst coders.

And halfway decent Conservative coders prefer to get paid for their work, so they won't be building sites for Trump.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Conservative coders that aren't the worst coders prefer to get paid for their work, so they won't be building sites for Trump.

True, you have to be a moron to assume Trump will pay for anything.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Buff Hardback posted:

I strongly suspect polling is going to shift heavily towards no recall as time goes on. We're looking fairly good when it comes to COVID all things considered, and whether or not this thread/coronavirus thread agree, we're looking at things being basically completely open by the time we get to November.

"Hey, everything's open, you can go to Disneyland, s&f at Denny's, do pretty much whatever you want, do you think Gavin Newsom sucks?" "He seems fine I guess?"
My guess is that the recall was launched into motion a couple of months ago on the possibility that the COVID situation (and the state economy) would completely unravel and lead to a groundswell of support to replace Newsom with someone - anyone! - but the state got a handle on things, vaccine rates are high, infection rates are way down, the economy is coming back strong, and everything is opening back up. They were betting on a much worse situation than what we have, so now it's a longshot. If the recall had been timed to occur in January, they might have had a good chance, but for now it's long odds (which are still better than the zero odds Republicans have of winning statewide usually).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

FMguru posted:

My guess is that the recall was launched into motion a couple of months ago on the possibility that the COVID situation (and the state economy) would completely unravel and lead to a groundswell of support to replace Newsom with someone - anyone! - but the state got a handle on things, vaccine rates are high, infection rates are way down, the economy is coming back strong, and everything is opening back up. They were betting on a much worse situation than what we have, so now it's a longshot. If the recall had been timed to occur in January, they might have had a good chance, but for now it's long odds (which are still better than the zero odds Republicans have of winning statewide usually).

Yeah, given how early they started, they were hoping for something to happen sooner, but with 1300 active cases according to the COVID tracker on ca.gov, I'd be willing to bet it fails miserably.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

True, you have to be a moron to assume Trump will pay for anything.

Hence Rudy

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

It's pretty expensive to collect enough signatures so it's really only worth it if you think you have a decent shot at winning a majority on the removal question. The reason the GOP doesn't try to recall every governor is that voters would get sick of it and just go "gently caress you sore losers, no". But yeah anytime the governor is unpopular or they think they can make hay out of a scandal they try it, I mean why not.

It's also a gamble: in 2003 the top Republican in the state (I forget his name and I don't care enough to google it, you can though) funded the recall effort against Gray Davis with millions of dollars of his own money, expecting to be a shoo-in against the divided Democrats in disarray, then whoops a big Hollywood celebrity swooped in and grabbed the votes right out from under him. And the GOP turned out to be not much happier with liberal RINO Schwarzenegger than a Democrat anyway. They bitched and moaned for years because Arnold didn't hate the environment hard enough for them.

Darrel Issa put in $2m of his own money to bankroll the signature gathering effort.
He dropped out of the race the day after Schwarzenegger announced he was running on The Tonight Show

It's also worth mentioning that Gray Davis' favorability polling was in the mid 20s at the time of the recall election. Newsom is nowhere near that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

evilweasel posted:

I find "Rudy has dirty on Trump" absolutely hilarious. Not because he doesn't: he absolutely does. It's because Rudy would never divulge it willingly but he's likely got fat stacks of crap that's incriminating for Trump just lying around his office that the FBI paid a visit to recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol look at how Fox is reporting this

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1389673699427721218