Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

davidbix posted:

Haven't listened in a long time, but there's a story he used to tell about asking Buddy Rose to teach everyone something about ring psychology and Buddy was terrible at putting it into words. Some people just aren't good teachers.

Yeah, its kind of like how ted williams was a horrible batting coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The baseball mention got me thinking about what would happen if someone locked Jim Cornette and Jose Canseco in a room together and just turned on the microphones.

They could talk about Jose’s wrestling career.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jose seems like a good guy even if he's insanely dumb, going only by his Twitter.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Can we cancel Cornette’s podcast and give it to Jose Canseco?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Can we cancel Cornette’s podcast and give it to Jose Canseco?

https://twitter.com/josecanseco/status/1365826972346064899?s=21

This single tweet is more entertaining than any episode of Jim's podcast.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Vince MechMahon posted:

https://twitter.com/josecanseco/status/1365826972346064899?s=21

This single tweet is more entertaining than any episode of Jim's podcast.

Oh I’m all about the Jose Canseco cinematic universe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jose is going to invade the Cornette compound with an army of ghosts.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jose's brain got turned to oatmeal from decades of steroid use and CTE, and he's still more coherent than Jim Cornette

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is ring psychology considered the same thing as storytelling? Like, that is a thing- a guy can be very athletic but kinda just string spots together rather than think of how it should flow overall.

It’s not strictly necessary to have a good match but it is for a great one.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

yeah noted wife beater jose canseco is a swell guy

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is ring psychology considered the same thing as storytelling? Like, that is a thing- a guy can be very athletic but kinda just string spots together rather than think of how it should flow overall.

That’s def a part of psychology. Something small like how after RVD would hit the five star frog splash he would immediately grab his stomach and sell it because it creates a sense of tension on if he can make the cover or not. There’s so many little parts of psychology that goes into matches that the fans are never supposed to actually think about. Just little logical things that help people buy into a match more. A lot of wrestling reviewers and old timers just kind of use it nebulously and don’t fully understand what it actually is though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The_Rob posted:

That’s def a part of psychology. Something small like how after RVD would hit the five star frog splash he would immediately grab his stomach and sell it because it creates a sense of tension on if he can make the cover or not. There’s so many little parts of psychology that goes into matches that the fans are never supposed to actually think about. Just little logical things that help people buy into a match more. A lot of wrestling reviewers and old timers just kind of use it nebulously and don’t fully understand what it actually is though.

That's actually called "selling." It "puts over" (industry term) how dangerous or bad rear end a move is. It's how you combine "doing cool moves" with "acting like a bad rear end."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Dude drove his car into his wife's car.

His first one. He just regular beat his second one.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
How do you get CTE playing baseball. Are you really getting hit in the head that often by the pitcher

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

seriously what is going in here

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

That's actually called "selling." It "puts over" (industry term) how dangerous or bad rear end a move is. It's how you combine "doing cool moves" with "acting like a bad rear end."

Hey man you don’t gotta attack me here. I’ve always agreed with your doing cool moves and acting like a badass stance. Also dressing like an idiot. That’s all psychology.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WatermelonGun posted:

seriously what is going in here

His twitter is funny and a lot of people don't remember or don't know the history of a guy who's hey day was 30 years ago.

Same way a lot of people talk about how cool Macho Man was and what a storybook romance he had with Elizabeth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I made perfectly clear I was going only by his Twitter account. Other than Dan Ryckert constantly dunking on him I know nothing else about Canseco beyond "played baseball."

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I wish I could say I’m surprised Canseco is a huge piece of poo poo. I’m glad someone brought it up though, thank you.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

His twitter is funny and a lot of people don't remember or don't know the history of a guy who's hey day was 30 years ago.

Same way a lot of people talk about how cool Macho Man was and what a storybook romance he had with Elizabeth.

the entire point of this thread is to obsess over whatever dumb poo poo comes out of a miserable dude’s mouth who hasn’t been relevant in about 40 and everyone can just google the famous lovely baseball player instead of acting like a defensive penis, dude

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Seams posted:

How do you get CTE playing baseball. Are you really getting hit in the head that often by the pitcher

Headfirst slides, collisions with the catcher, crashing into the wall chasing a fly ball, etc. Head injuries in baseball are more common than people think.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WatermelonGun posted:

the entire point of this thread is to obsess over whatever dumb poo poo comes out of a miserable dude’s mouth who hasn’t been relevant in about 40 and everyone can just google the famous lovely baseball player instead of acting like a defensive penis, dude

You asked a question and I answered it. Why are you upset?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

it's fine if you didn't know abot canseco and it doesn't make it wrong to laugh at his twitter in a vacuum. if you feel bad you can make it up by watching the first starrcade in its entirety :twisted:

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby

Seams posted:

If anyone could find a way Jose could

https://imgur.com/gallery/oJWdp

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Benne posted:

Headfirst slides, collisions with the catcher, crashing into the wall chasing a fly ball, etc. Head injuries in baseball are more common than people think.

Ah good point. Didn’t think of that.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

not enough quotation marks to really hammer home the point

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vince MechMahon posted:

I made perfectly clear I was going only by his Twitter account. Other than Dan Ryckert constantly dunking on him I know nothing else about Canseco beyond "played baseball."

I need Dan Ryckert to humiliate Jimmy Corncob now, much in the same way he did so to Canseco.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

davidbix posted:

Haven't listened in a long time, but there's a story he used to tell about asking Buddy Rose to teach everyone something about ring psychology and Buddy was terrible at putting it into words. Some people just aren't good teachers.

yeah it was Buddy Rose. But I feel like the way Bryan told the story it was less Buddy just not being a very good teacher and more like people just over analyzing what made these old guys great, and buddy just having no idea how to respond because he never gave that much thought to his work it in the same way Bryan and others did . 'psychology' is probably the easiest part of wrestling.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

reminds me of a jake the snake story where he asked wrestling students what the most important thing about the ddt was and they over analyzed every aspect of how to perform the move and then he was just like the most important thing was no one gets back up from it. then his snake got loose in a motel 6 while he was smoking crack with some strippers at the ihop. i might have some details of the story wrong.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Jake the Sanem came to my high school to tell us all how cool Jesus was. He was a big fan.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

My understanding is that wrestling psychology covers all of the in-ring acting, improvisation, storytelling, and logic of professional wrestling. You can have too little psychology (like spotfests) as well as too much psychology (looking at your hands and wondering why you're so violent) while still having a good or a bad match. Good psychology seems like it's necessary to have a great match, though I'm sure people more knowledgeable about wrestling can list off great matches with no or overdone psychology.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

reminds me of a jake the snake story where he asked wrestling students what the most important thing about the ddt was and they over analyzed every aspect of how to perform the move and then he was just like the most important thing was no one gets back up from it. then his snake got loose in a motel 6 while he was smoking crack with some strippers at the ihop. i might have some details of the story wrong.

No, that sounds about right for Jake.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

it's fine if you didn't know abot canseco and it doesn't make it wrong to laugh at his twitter in a vacuum. if you feel bad you can make it up by watching the first starrcade in its entirety :twisted:

The first time I saw it was certainly an experience for me. I had up 'til that point only seen Greg Valentine as this sort of bland midcard dude who once dyed his hair and tried to pretend to play guitar with the Honky Tonk Man and here he was trying to shoot murder Roddy Piper with a chain.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
How soon we forget Jose Cansecos epic entry into the super hluk tournament

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

The first time I saw it was certainly an experience for me. I had up 'til that point only seen Greg Valentine as this sort of bland midcard dude who once dyed his hair and tried to pretend to play guitar with the Honky Tonk Man and here he was trying to shoot murder Roddy Piper with a chain.

the sheer amount of blood throughout the entire event/gary hart slashing at people with razor blades is stunning

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Please do yourself a favor and watch the Bash Brothers Experience on Netflix. You can thank me later.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

cagliostr0 posted:

and dramatic exit.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

cagliostr0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqsLJKeyR0w

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I apologize in advance for this, but I saw this a few minutes ago and I have to share this cursed sight with the rest of you. I can't be the only one with this memory etched into my mind.

I have seen what is quite possibly the worst Jim Cornette video background ever created. I'm going to go ahead and say that this is probably NSFW, and I will apologize in advance for the horror that I am laying upon all of you.

I will freely and gladly accept my punishment for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I am so sorry.