Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wow that GoldWing's dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That Goldwing isn’t a kit?????? That person just.......manifested it from their brain??

:psypop:

Wait til you find out how all the kits come into being... :allbuttons:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's three types of Lego builders. Ones that build the kit exactly according to the instructions, ones that freeform build something that attempts to resemble a real life object, and ones that build complete flights of fancy that have no relation to reality and use whatever bricks are on hand, in whatever way they can get them to fit together. I feel like there's some overlap in the first two groups, but both shun the third one and pretend they don't exist.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This is a fake plate you can buy if you're dumb as a rock and want to get instantly pulled over:

https://www.bikesvscops.com/collections/run-this-license-plates/products/license-plate-california

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

MomJeans420 posted:

This is a fake plate you can buy if you're dumb as a rock and want to get instantly pulled over:

https://www.bikesvscops.com/collections/run-this-license-plates/products/license-plate-california

Yeah I dont understand that at all. The last thing I want to do is draw attention to myself to the cops. ESPECIALLY on a sport bike, that just screams stolen motorocycle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

There's three types of Lego builders. Ones that build the kit exactly according to the instructions, ones that freeform build something that attempts to resemble a real life object, and ones that build complete flights of fancy that have no relation to reality and use whatever bricks are on hand, in whatever way they can get them to fit together. I feel like there's some overlap in the first two groups, but both shun the third one and pretend they don't exist.

The third type get jobs at lego too, that's where all the hosed up nonsense bricks come from. They also go on lego masters!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Ak7ArqmyI
At least two were what I was hoping, I was also hoping for "to learn how to wrench while I ride".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Based on the thumbnail I thought that would be number one tbh.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

Valt posted:

Yeah I dont understand that at all. The last thing I want to do is draw attention to myself to the cops. ESPECIALLY on a sport bike, that just screams stolen motorocycle.

Have you seen their Instagram? Pretty sure the idea is you don’t stop...

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
man that's a dumb instagram

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just looked and yep, exactly what you'd expect

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Uhhhhm some of us are in groups 1 and 3.

Build it, appreciate it for a bit, then tear it down to harvest the cool parts for other stuff

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 1, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I would always follow the instructions, then tear it apart and build something from my imagination. Now, I don't have that imagination anymore.

I hate growing up :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Coolest part about being 36 is having 10 and 6 year old nephews both of which love legos. They're always amazed when I build anything. I spent so much of my life playing with legos that the same mentality still exists when I help them build something.

I always started with the instructions and eventually tore it apart. I still have all of mine from my childhood, plus a few that I bought as an adult and kept whole including my motorcycle with the chain, suspension and working pistons.

Legos are awesome.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

As Nero Danced posted:

I would always follow the instructions, then tear it apart and build something from my imagination. Now, I don't have that imagination anymore.

I had bins full of legos as a kid, made up of all the kits I got and sooner or later took apart. But none of the poo poo I build came close to being as cool or good as the stuff in the instructions - even with childlike imagination, I knew that poo poo. It taught me two things: 1) I'm not gonna be an engineer, and 2) building the sets to instructions is super satisfying to my (accountant, it turns out) brain, and it's actually pretty cool to leave them intact and look at them now again

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would always try to recombine my bricks into models I didn't have and could only see by the picture on the box, I got reasonably close sometimes. I find that if I try to make something freeform there's always a brick type I don't have and I'm not artistic enough to see alternative ways of using what I've got.

Half of it is engineering brains, half is art brains, both give excellent but very different results.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

As Nero Danced posted:

I used to do similar stuff with k'nex and yeah, when I tried to dig it out and bash some of my old models together a few years back I just couldn't. I also never got pictures so all the rad stuff I did is lost to time. Ah well.

For what it's worth I don't think it's a loss of imagination so much as a loss of fluency with the language of the parts. When you're not sitting on your bedroom floor looking at and handling the pieces for hours a day every day it's harder to make those intuitive leaps that let you go "oh yeah, this bit could represent this part of the thing I'm trying to make". If you quit your job and spent that time mucking about with lego instead you could probably relearn how to do it.

Slavvy posted:

I would always try to recombine my bricks into models I didn't have and could only see by the picture on the box, I got reasonably close sometimes. I find that if I try to make something freeform there's always a brick type I don't have and I'm not artistic enough to see alternative ways of using what I've got.

Half of it is engineering brains, half is art brains, both give excellent but very different results.

I saved so much money by just looking at pictures in the model brochure and building them from the parts I already had, haha

That was actually why I preferred k'nex, because it only had 16 different basic parts (later maybe another dozen special ones like bendy rods, hinges, gears, etc), vs lego which had a million special shaped bricks before you even got to technic, so it was much easier to build models you didn't have, given a deep enough pool of parts.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 1, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I preferred knex because it gave you structurally sound stuff, you could do actual irl engineering like lego technic really can't. I remember having a contest with my mates to see who could build a tougher knex buggy, we'd send them down staircases and poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I tended (well, tend, my kids love legos) to build real Life stuff.

My cars get full a-arm suspension. Dual motor awd, things like that, but at a big goofy scale that wouldn’t work in real life

So, based in reality, but not realistic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

I had bins full of legos as a kid, made up of all the kits I got and sooner or later took apart. But none of the poo poo I build came close to being as cool or good as the stuff in the instructions - even with childlike imagination, I knew that poo poo. It taught me two things: 1) I'm not gonna be an engineer, and 2) building the sets to instructions is super satisfying to my (accountant, it turns out) brain, and it's actually pretty cool to leave them intact and look at them now again

Playing with legos as an adult has made me realize that I love the iterative, logical progression from “this is garbage that doesn’t work” to “this works” and it taught me two things:

1) I should have been an engineer
2) computer touching sucks :smith:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Playing with legos as an adult has made me realize that I love the iterative, logical progression from “this is garbage that doesn’t work” to “this works” and it taught me two things:

1) I should have been an engineer
2) computer touching sucks :smith:

I mean this can be computer touching but if you're doing it for work it has to be in a field where speed and optimization are highly valued.

This means things like communication or scientific equipment, especially detectors that are used applications like mass spectrometers. Things start to get tricky when you're sending hundreds of thousands of m/z info a second that need picosecond timing and 32+ bit precision for each of them. And all of this needs to work in conjunction with 2-3+ mass selectors just to get the ions there.

I did some of this work in grad school and it's really satisfying when you nail it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I played with lego a lot as a kid. Its largely responsible for my worldview in that everything in our lives are built on basic primitives. Had k'nex too, though lego was more fun to me. I'd build the kit, then tear it down, and build something completely different with the parts. Making an detailed intricate model with working features was my jam.

Broke it back out in college and added microcontrollers and such to hombrew vehicles for assignments. Somewhere in storage there's a 4wd jeep wrangler built out of technic that's too painfully accurate down to its flare-shifting pneumatically actuated two speed automatic. Its kinda slow but the chassis is good. It needs like $60 in pneumatic parts to get the gearbox to not be poo poo and :effort:. There's also a scratch built bobcat that got used for some navigation/objectives school projects.

3d printers essentially rendered the medium obsolete for me.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

There were a few bikers doing warmup courses today. Just a few.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

“For sale. Some assembly required.”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean.....looks like it just needs the tank put on :raise:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And another since we love the NSR
https://twitter.com/kazutortype/status/1388826680823844865

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why the gently caress would you go to all that effort, spend all that time and energy and then stumble at the last hurdle and make an mc18

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Does anyone have the freedom.jpeg image of the bikers throwing away their helmets?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't but here's something else

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i don't but here's something else

Lmao

I want my next riding jacket to have chrome/mirror polka dots but only on the waving arm.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Does anyone have the pic of the pencil drawing of the dude on a cruiser at full lean snorting a big line of coke lined up the road?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Does anyone have the pic of the pencil drawing of the dude on a cruiser at full lean snorting a big line of coke lined up the road?

I am furious that someone drew a picture of my daily commute :mad:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Heavy lard laden bikes going around a race track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E5xpwU-hfc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a good demo of how development and philosophy have more weight than technology a lot of the time.

The harleys are steel frame, air cooled pushrod bikes with a hard RPM limit and old school dirt track style geometry.

The Indians are alloy frame, water cooled DOHC machines with totally contemporary design.

But the racing is super duper close because the Indians are new bikes still being developed, while the Harleys benefit from decades of know-how. On the track you can see this manifest itself as the Indian riders having lots of power on the straights and a good ability to feel and control the front tyre and brake very deep into the turns, while the Harley riders seem to have a friendlier balance, are able to play with the throttle more, can switch up their lines and lean on the engine's flexibility to maintain speed.

So basically the bikes are so close, despite being so drastically different, that it's the riders making the difference. Compare this to the average WSBK race where the bikes always finish in neat brand groupings because there are clear and substantial steps between the Kawasaki and the Ducati, and then the Ducati and the Yamaha and so on.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I know I'm on an opinion island of my own making here, but I maintain the King of the Baggers series is loving dumb (:lol: at the headers on that whaterver-glide being decked flat by cornering at full lean) and is the motorcycle analog to NASCAR. At least the baggers have to turn right, too

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

I know I'm on an opinion island of my own making here, but I maintain the King of the Baggers series is loving dumb (:lol: at the headers on that whaterver-glide being decked flat by cornering at full lean) and is the motorcycle analog to NASCAR. At least the baggers have to turn right, too

It's like watching a race populated with nothing but conversion vans. You don't watch because it's fast, you watch because that's not what that machine was made to do, and maybe it'll tip over when someone pushes it past a limit you're surprised it has.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

It's like watching a race populated with nothing but conversion vans. You don't watch because it's fast, you watch because that's not what that machine was made to do, and maybe it'll tip over when someone pushes it past a limit you're surprised it has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzY5fZKhII

(Seems particularly apt as I first read that vid title as "King of the Bangers" and was disappointed it wasn't some rainy oval in Essex)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Everything stupid about king of the baggers is a design feature, not a flaw. Some of the best motorsports is vehicles doing something they weren’t designed to do. Hippo doing ballet etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also if you hate kotb because they're huge bikes with no grip which are totally unsuited to a race track, I've got some bloody bad news about superbike racing pre-1980 or so.

This is my favorite kind of racing because the guys in pitlane can make as big a contribution as the rider, you aren't just swapping parts and fiddling adjusters, you're actually solving problems built into the bike using novel means. Much more fun.