Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You have to love a good AI saga, like the pussy shrapnel guy.

Don't forget the Submarine Kommandant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Human Trash Bag was the only saga I witnessed. I can appreciate a nice troll but the guy was just not very good at it unfortunately.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 5, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That was VERY weak for AI standards. Some sagas were so good (horrible) that they must not be discussed anymore, and for drat good reasons.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh wow, I forgot all about sperglord firecock.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Quick question — I want to try using one of those UV dye kits to track down an oil leak in my 2006 A4 2.0T. I’ve got a pan on my garage floor to catch drops and I have some suspicions, but I’d like to add the dye, wipe it all down / kill visible signs, and then drive around for a bit to see where it’s coming from. I suspect it’s only occurring after a drive — when I was doing some work on the car, it was up on stands for almost 8 hours and I didn’t see a single drop.

Anything to watch out for? Weird material incompatibility, etc? Does it not work?

Quick bump on this one!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It works fine espeially if you have a UV light and can check very regularly. "Very" depends on how fast this leak is, which sound like "not at all" based on your post. I mostly use leak dyes for AC stuff but I mean....go for it if this is where you're at. The cleaner before you start and the more regularly you check the better.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

movax posted:

Quick bump on this one!

I poured some in to find a oil leak and it was quickly veeeery obvious. I didn't even clean stuff off beforehand.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Goddamnit. CEL came back and I looked at the wires today and you were right;

I don't know why my manipulation of the loom/wires didn't cause this fault but I replaced 2/3 of the wires in the loom to the MAF and everything seems fixed now.

Wow, nice find. And yeah those are a bitch to diagnose, glad you sorted it out!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I need reasons to not buy a Fiat 124 Spider. Everything I find online says it's a slower miata but looks nicer. They look amazing, I love Mazdas, and they're cheap as hell because they're about to go out of production. Please tell me there's some terrible secret to owning one of these, because lord help me I'm too young to want a completely impractical midlife crisis mobile.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there's no reason not to buy one. it's a little lazier than a Miata but fundamentally good.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Does anyone know a good domestic shipping company or broker who can handle bulky items? I'm looking to ship a C6 hood, when packaged up the thing weighs 45lb, and dimensions are 68" x 65" x 12". I'm not familiar with shipping companies in the US, but neither UPS or FedEx will touch it due to the size.

I know that shipping rates are based on distance in the US, wherever I get one from will need to end up in PA. Right now I've found one in WA, I think shipping so far will be prohibitive! But until I get a quote, I won't know.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Super Waffle posted:

I need reasons to not buy a Fiat 124 Spider.

Fwiw I test drove a 124 back to back with an ND and prefer the 124, at least for the street. Lovely choice!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Does anyone know a good domestic shipping company or broker who can handle bulky items? I'm looking to ship a C6 hood, when packaged up the thing weighs 45lb, and dimensions are 68" x 65" x 12". I'm not familiar with shipping companies in the US, but neither UPS or FedEx will touch it due to the size.

I know that shipping rates are based on distance in the US, wherever I get one from will need to end up in PA. Right now I've found one in WA, I think shipping so far will be prohibitive! But until I get a quote, I won't know.

It looks like TForce Freight bought UPS Freight. I made some guesses w/r/t weight and residential delivery, and they're saying about $400 from Seattle to Pittsburgh. You can get another estimate here: https://www.tforcefreight.com/ltl/apps/RateEstimate

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
This is the ultimate stupid question: is there a chart or list somewhere of all the auto manufacturers and which brands are their budget lines and which brands are their luxury lines? For example, I know that Honda's luxury brand is Acura. I just feel like there are a billion car brands and when I try to look up the relationships between them I see poo poo like Hyundai owning a minority share of Kia and get so confused.

Thank you!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

surf rock posted:

This is the ultimate stupid question: is there a chart or list somewhere of all the auto manufacturers and which brands are their budget lines and which brands are their luxury lines? For example, I know that Honda's luxury brand is Acura. I just feel like there are a billion car brands and when I try to look up the relationships between them I see poo poo like Hyundai owning a minority share of Kia and get so confused.

Thank you!

All the charts I'm aware of are outdated thanks to Stellantis but Consumer Reports has a list of who owns the brands sold in the US: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-who-owns-which-car-brands/

Here's the part you want:

quote:

BMW Group owns BMW, Mini, and Rolls-Royce.
Daimler AG owns Mercedes-Benz and Smart.
Ford Motor Co. owns Ford and Lincoln.
General Motors owns Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC. Hummer has returned as a GMC sub-brand. GM has agreed to supply fuel-cells to Nikola. (It has canceled the previous investment and the arrangement to build the Badger pickup truck.)
Honda Motor Co. owns Acura and Honda.
Hyundai Motor Group owns Genesis, Hyundai, and Kia.
Mazda Motor Corp. owns Mazda.
Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance owns Infiniti, Mitsubishi, and Nissan.
Stellantis is the new corporation formed from the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Peugeot S.A. merger. The name is explained as being rooted in the Latin verb stello meaning to brighten with stars. The FCA brands sold in the U.S. are now under Stellantis: Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep, Maserati, and Ram. Overseas, Citroen, DS Automobiles, Opel, Peugeot, and Vauxhall are among the other Stellantis car brands.
Subaru Corp. owns Subaru.
Tata Motors owns Jaguar and Land Rover.
Tesla owns Tesla.
Toyota Motor Corp. owns Lexus and Toyota. And it has a stake in Subaru and Suzuki.
Volkswagen AG owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and Volkswagen.
Zhejiang Geely Holding Group (ZGH) owns Lotus, Polestar, and Volvo.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

There's no good list as far as I know, unless you start doing a Wikipedia deep dive on all the automakers. In general:

Japanese Car makers:
- Honda -> Acura
- Toyota -> Lexus (also formerly Scion)
- Nissan -> Infinity (Datsun changed their name to Nissan in 1986)

Subaru largely does their own thing. Mazda will do goofy poo poo like sharing the Mazda 3 platform with Ford or the Miata platform with Fiat, but they mostly keep to themselves.

American carmakers
- General Motors:
--- Chevrolet
--- Buick
--- GMC
--- Cadillac

- Ford -> Lincoln (formerly -> Mercury)

-Stellantis (Formerly Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles)
--- Dodge
--- Ram Trucks (formerly Dodge)
--- Jeep
--- Chrysler
--- Fiat
--- Alfa Romeo
--- Lancia
--- Maserati
--- Opal
--- Peugot
--- Vauxhall

European carmakers
- BMW (owns Mini)
- Mercedes (AKA Daimler) (co-owns Smart with Geely)
- Volkswagen
--- Audi
--- Bentley
--- Bugatti
--- Lamborghini
--- Porsche
--- SEAT
--- Skoda

- Volvo largely does their own thing (was owned by Ford from 1999-2010, now owned by Geely)

- Jaguar Land Rover
--- Jaguar
--- Land Rover

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 6, 2021

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Safety Dance posted:

It looks like TForce Freight bought UPS Freight. I made some guesses w/r/t weight and residential delivery, and they're saying about $400 from Seattle to Pittsburgh. You can get another estimate here: https://www.tforcefreight.com/ltl/apps/RateEstimate

That's great, thanks! I was looking for various things like "oversize package shipping", etc, but going nowhere. I'm not exactly sure how things like this get handled. In the UK, an item like this would be cheaper to send via pallet freight, not sure if it's the same in the US.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There are also alliances :P
Toyota owns a bit of Subaru and paired up on the GT86 sports car and the Crosstrek hybrid. Toyota uses Mazda for their smallest cars (Mazda 2, share a factory in Mexico). Toyota and BMW teamed up for the Supra.

Ford sold off their share of Mazda long ago and their platform sharing is done.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Safety Dance posted:

There's no good list as far as I know, unless you start doing a Wikipedia deep dive on all the automakers. In general:

Japanese Car makers:
- Honda -> Acura
- Toyota -> Lexus (also formerly Scion)
- Nissan -> Infinity (Datsun changed their name to Nissan in 1986)

Subaru largely does their own thing. Mazda will do goofy poo poo like sharing the Mazda 3 platform with Ford or the Miata platform with Fiat, but they mostly keep to themselves.

American carmakers
- General Motors:
--- Chevrolet
--- Buick
--- GMC
--- Cadillac

- Ford -> Lincoln (formerly -> Mercury)

-Stellantis (Formerly Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles)
--- Dodge
--- Ram Trucks (formerly Dodge)
--- Jeep
--- Chrysler
--- Fiat
--- Alfa Romeo
--- Lancia
--- Maserati
--- Opal
--- Peugot
--- Vauxhall

European carmakers
- BMW (owns Mini)
- Mercedes (AKA Daimler) (co-owns Smart with Geely)
- Volkswagen
--- Audi
--- Bentley
--- Bugatti
--- Lamborghini
--- Porsche
--- SEAT
--- Skoda

- Volvo largely does their own thing (was owned by Ford from 1999-2010, now owned by Geely)

- Jaguar Land Rover
--- Jaguar
--- Land Rover

That's strange, I thought Vauxhall was Opel was GM

E: oh they were sold in 2017? That totally passed me by.

Anyway, for content, the below has not been checked and apparently my knowledge is not all that good...

LDV and MG are now Chinese brands made in China. Great Wall obviously Chinese as well.

Ssangyong is Korean, I think they were related to Daewoo, who at some point had links to Chevvy?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 6, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

wolrah posted:

Here's the part you want:
And of course Ferrari owns Ferrari (though the Agnelli family owns a minority share in it, along with a minority share in Stellantis)

e: and Dacia under Renault

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 6, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

simplefish posted:

That's strange, I thought Vauxhall was Opel was GM

It got sold to PSA a few years back

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you want that hood smashed up and to get told to go gently caress yourself when you try to make a claim, I suggest greyhound. They have hosed over several people I know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

That's great, thanks! I was looking for various things like "oversize package shipping", etc, but going nowhere. I'm not exactly sure how things like this get handled. In the UK, an item like this would be cheaper to send via pallet freight, not sure if it's the same in the US.

Same in the US, especially if you're going depot to depot (skipping last mile pickup/delivery). It's typically called "LTL" shipping (less than truckload).

There also is/used to be large item shipping from the bus lines like Greyhound and Trailways. Same deal, you drop it off at a bus depot and the receiver picks it up at another bus depot.

I used to use these guys a lot for quotes: https://www.freightcenter.com/

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Where I live there's an Uber for packages-style thing, probably best way to get awkward shape, semi-fragile things moved around

E: to clarify, it's what uber was meant to be - people heading that direction anyway. It's cheap but dorsn't pay enough for people to be heading elsewhere or do it as a career (insert obvious joke about uber not paying enough to be a full time job anyways)

simplefish fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 6, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

simplefish posted:

Where I kive there's an Uber for packages-style thing, probably best way to get awkward shape, semi-fragile things moved around

for hood sized packages?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

for hood sized packages?

Yeah, lots of people drive utes here or have a big car it could fit in the back of diagonally. I've never tried to put a hood in my Outback but I reckon it could fit?

But maybe not. Anyway it could be another option to look into

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thank you all! OK, I tried to synthesize this into the chart I had hoped already existed in the universe:

How's that? Each row is supposed to be a company, which is why some of the independents have empty columns (since they only or primarily occupy a single category). I imagine some things might need to be moved between columns, but it seems pretty comprehensive for vehicles available in the U.S. at least?

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

Ok, WTF did I do here?
2005 Toyota Camry LE 3.0 V6
290,000 miles

I'm replacing the CV Axles, I've done this job before so I halfway know what I'm doing. This is the passenger side, and the boot looks way over extended. The outer boot that sits next to the hub looks normal but this one is all stretched. I'm confused AF, its not like I could have pushed it too far into the transmission but IDK why it looks like this. I've double check the part number, its correct. I test drove it and it seems like its not acting weird but I'm ultra frustrated with this. Any ideas What I did worng?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Action Man posted:

Ok, WTF did I do here?
2005 Toyota Camry LE 3.0 V6
290,000 miles

I'm replacing the CV Axles, I've done this job before so I halfway know what I'm doing. This is the passenger side, and the boot looks way over extended. The outer boot that sits next to the hub looks normal but this one is all stretched. I'm confused AF, its not like I could have pushed it too far into the transmission but IDK why it looks like this. I've double check the part number, its correct. I test drove it and it seems like its not acting weird but I'm ultra frustrated with this. Any ideas What I did worng?

Perhaps its just how the boot was clamped on there.
Does it look different than the old one?
Is the overall length of the two axles the same?

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Does it look different than the old one?
Is the overall length of the two axles the same?

TBH, I didn't lay them down next to each other. I've replaced these once before and I go the same part, but I guess that doesn't prohibit something screwy happening when they manufactured it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Could be a return that got put into the wrong box or something. Stuff happens.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Could be a return that got put into the wrong box or something. Stuff happens.

I'm gonna pull it back out and see if I can pop it into place. I confirmed the part number printed on the axle against the part catalog. Its also the same one that I bought like 100k miles ago so presumably its the same.

I was replacing the control arm and motor mount at the same time which were colossal pains to get in, so I'm just feeling really defeated having to take it apart, plus I had to replace a tie rod that I didn't plan to when I went to reattach the steering knuckle and found the bolt free spinning in the tie rod. :negative:

If I can't pop it into place I'll just pull the whole thing back out and make sure its the same length as the old one I guess

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

surf rock posted:

Thank you all! OK, I tried to synthesize this into the chart I had hoped already existed in the universe:

How's that? Each row is supposed to be a company, which is why some of the independents have empty columns (since they only or primarily occupy a single category). I imagine some things might need to be moved between columns, but it seems pretty comprehensive for vehicles available in the U.S. at least?

i guess i am wondering what the intent of this is

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i guess i am wondering what the intent of this is

I live near a lot of car dealerships and when I was driving past a few yesterday, I realized that I had no idea what the gently caress Infiniti and Genesis were. When I googled them and realized that they were premium labels for car brands I had heard of, I thought that was interesting and figured a comprehensive list like that would be easy to come by. So, no big plan, just satisfying some curiosity.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

surf rock posted:

OK but not exactly. For example, it's exactly right for Ford -> Lincoln. Every Lincoln is just a Ford with more expensive trim. But the brands under Volkswagen Automotive Group, those are largely separate with maybe some shared platform engineering between them.

Also Volvo definitely thinks of themselves as being a luxury car brand.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Safety Dance posted:

But the brands under Volkswagen Automotive Group, those are largely separate with maybe some shared platform engineering between them.
Maybe some shared platform engineering? If you were to eliminate MQB and MLB from VAG's lineup, how much would you actually have left? Their entire mainstream lineup other than the latest MEB EVs exists on one of those two platforms. VW has GM beat at their own game when it comes to platform sharing across brands.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

for hood sized packages?

Where I'm at, Uber actually offers package delivery. I'm signed up for it (since my car qualifies as a "large car", plus I have a factory roof rack), but I've only had a couple of trips for packages (and it was small stuff - think a small box that just needed to get across town the same day).

My car is too old to qualify for passenger stuff (and too beat up anyway); with Uber I primarily do Eats and liquor deliveries. But I could easily deliver a hood locally so long as I didn't have to get up to highway speeds (lots of moving blankets + some straps, so long as it's well packed, but I wouldn't want to get much past 45 with that on top). I have the option in my customer app to request delivering a package, and back when I did Amazon deliveries full time, the warehouse would sometimes use Uber for deliveries when there weren't enough contracted drivers (Prime Now, which has a 2 hour window... 1 hour if you pay extra, though these days Prime Now is just groceries instead of laptops, books, etc).

Action Man posted:

If I can't pop it into place I'll just pull the whole thing back out and make sure its the same length as the old one I guess

Measure the old one, going by the inside edges of the boots. Then measure the new one. If there's a difference, you either got the wrong axle, or the new one has the boot clamped too far out. You can do that measuring without removing it.

That really does look way overextended, but if it's not making noise or shaking under throttle.... maybe it has the wrong boot, or the boot got clamped too far out? :shrug: Double check your motor and transmission mounts too, if they're somehow not resting on the subframe, or they're worn out, that can throw the geometry way off. Friend with a Prius went through 4 OEM Toyota axles in about a month thanks to the motor mounts being beyond fukt, though to be fair, the car had ~300k on it. And the dealer just kept swapping them without trying to diagnose until the 4th popped...

simplefish posted:

Ssangyong is Korean, I think they were related to Daewoo, who at some point had links to Chevvy?

I'm pretty sure GM bought most of Daewoo awhile back. Daewoo has a lot to do with the Sonic and Spark; they had a bit to do with the Cruze, and the dumpster fire Aveo was a rebadged Daewoo Kalos/Gentra (depending on model year).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 7, 2021

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

STR posted:

That really does look way overextended, but if it's not making noise or shaking under throttle.... maybe it has the wrong boot, or the boot got clamped too far out? :shrug: Double check your motor and transmission mounts too, if they're somehow not resting on the subframe, or they're worn out, that can throw the geometry way off. Friend with a Prius went through 4 OEM Toyota axles in about a month thanks to the motor mounts being beyond fukt, though to be fair, the car had ~300k on it. And the dealer just kept swapping them without trying to diagnose until the 4th popped...

OKAY, I measured between the boots and its about an inch different. You had me scared about the motor mounts because I replaced it, but they seem to be the same height. I compressed the axles and much as I could and measured from the intermediate shaft to the outer boot and they are the same. The axle is stamped with the same part number as the old one so I'm left assuming that the boot is just clamped wrong.

Thanks everyone from talking me through this. Do we think a zip tie is sufficient? or should I go buy one of those clamp tools?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Zip tie probably only good for temporary. A Gear clamp might be better for longer term unless someone chimes in that it might have balance issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If I were doing that repair, Id use some safety wire and a Clamptite. As bulletproof as a gear clamp, without any possible balance issues.

If you use zip-ties, dont trim the ends :q: