Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Goldeneye tank level is the only not poo poo one I could think of.

EDIT: Riding an armed dinosaur in Turok is cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Descent is just one big vehicle section and it kicks rear end :colbert:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: also, yes, vehicles do not belong in retro fps games. Barf.
cybermage darklight awakening had vehicles therefore they belong in retro fps games

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the vehicle sections in serious sam 2 are good

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The vacuum cleaner in Shadow Warrior is the only good vehicle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm sorry; my idea of retro (because I'm :corsair:) is BUILD engine or before.

I realize that the retro timespan grows as time moves on but :shrug:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The United States posted:

"It's just gibs bro!"

:nws:

:nws:

i thought i might be misremembering but no you guys are all freaking the gently caress out because you saw a tweet with duke3d gibs in it from a year ago

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Negostrike posted:

Driest gibs ever.

Which is weird cause anime gore is usually very wet like people in anime have anywhere from double to upwards of ten times the blood a normal human being will have

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So finally finished Doom 2016, after sitting on it for like four years and playing it on and off over the last month or so. I followed a guide to find the secrets, but I missed a lot from the earlier levels (back when I started in 2016), and at the moment, I don't feel like replaying the levels to get the handful of secrets I missed, and the one or two rune trials I missed.

Having finished it, I have to say that it can be pretty fun and intense, but I feel like it's bogged down with some issues. Some of the larger enemies feel really spongy, and there's no damage feedback, so you don't really know how much damage you're doing, or how close you are to getting a Glory Kill (Mancubi and Revenants seem especially bad in that regard).

Cacodemons seem like they can dish out a lot of damage, so the easiest way I found to dispatch them was to hit them with a Rocket Launcher lock-on volley, and follow up with something else.

The way Hell Knights and Pinkys/Spectres constantly chase you is really annoying. It's not as bad with Hell Knights, if you know to jump when they do a slam, and you can stun them in a couple of ways, but trying to deal with Pinkys (Pinkies?) is a lot tougher. I know the trick is to shoot them from behind, where they're vulnerable, but when you've got other enemies swarming you, or you're boxed in by the environment, that can be tricky. I tried jumping over them a lot, but my jump typically came up short, and I'd get hit.

Power-ups also felt like they were off. If I can offer a piece of advice, get the powerup that extends their length; otherwise, they disappear quickly. Often I wouldn't find them until a fight was over, or grab them seemingly too early. Tying in with the lack of damage feedback, the quad doesn't have the same kind of impact like it does in, say, Quake 1. The best powerup, though, is the Berserk. With the extended Glory Kill rune, you can basically teleport around the arena, and obliterate demons. :black101:

In terms of the weapons, the shotgun doesn't feel quite as nice as I'd like, but the alternate fire modes help give it some more punch. The double barrel shotgun is fine. The assault rifle and plasma rifle are both pretty nice, and I like the alternate fire modes for both (the plasma gun's stun, and the assault rifles zoom in particular). I used the rocket launcher a lot, because the multi-missile does some pretty heavy damage. The Gauss Cannon I didn't use a whole lot, but it was useful in some scenarios. I don't care for how they changed the chainsaw and BFG to use specialized ammo. BFG I get, but I wish you could have used the chainsaw for some more melee action. As it is, I just used it to one-shot Barons.

I had fun with the game, but I don't really see myself returning to it. It just doesn't click quite as well as I'd like. I imagine I'll probably get Doom Eternal at some point when it's on sale, but I'm wondering if I'll have the same sort of issues.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I'm sorry; my idea of retro (because I'm :corsair:) is BUILD engine or before.

I realize that the retro timespan grows as time moves on but :shrug:
Cybermage and Descent are pre-Duke 3D

Yeah gently caress off

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Everything I've learned about this anime guro fps game I've learned entirely against my will I'm pleading with yall to cease and desist immediately :negative:

Max Wilco posted:

I had fun with the game, but I don't really see myself returning to it. It just doesn't click quite as well as I'd like. I imagine I'll probably get Doom Eternal at some point when it's on sale, but I'm wondering if I'll have the same sort of issues.

I felt the same way pretty much. I'm big on replaying games, I'm in the middle of my 1209381094th playthrough of Half Life 2 as we speak to kill time before the new Resident Evil comes out. I played through Doom 2016 exactly once, and I couldn't get half way through Eternal before my interest waned. It's one of those things where I don't think they're bad games at all, and I'm glad they're successful and people are enjoying them, but man they just really aren't my idea of a good time. Too many tiny design decisions make things a little too irritating I guess. I'm also not terribly fond of Eternal's nose dive into saturday morning cartoon-ville. v:shobon:v

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've said it before but I probably would've enjoyed 2016 and Eternal more if they weren't Doom games. I wouldn't have thought they were great but I would've got more out of em. Just not how I would've taken the franchise.

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1389743111967055873?s=20

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Watching Civvie's Doom 2016 video right now. Only five minutes in, but he mentions combat before upgrades, and that was something I picked up on while working through the last third of the game; once you get a lot of the upgrades, and have more health/armor/ammo and have the rune bonuses, you can really start ripping (and tearing) through some encounters.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I felt the same way pretty much. I'm big on replaying games, I'm in the middle of my 1209381094th playthrough of Half Life 2 as we speak to kill time before the new Resident Evil comes out. I played through Doom 2016 exactly once, and I couldn't get half way through Eternal before my interest waned. It's one of those things where I don't think they're bad games at all, and I'm glad they're successful and people are enjoying them, but man they just really aren't my idea of a good time. Too many tiny design decisions make things a little too irritating I guess. I'm also not terribly fond of Eternal's nose dive into saturday morning cartoon-ville. v:shobon:v

I don't think it's bad either. It's just frustrating, because I feel like I should like it more than I actually do. Like you said, it's those little design decisions that bog it down, but some of it isn't really stuff that I think the devs necessarily intended.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is the doom_txt Twitter run by a goon? I’ve had things I’ve written posted on there, so I feel like they read these forums.

No, but there's 1 degree of separation given Doomworld's origins so it's not hard for SA stuff to end up on there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake IV is a retro FPS alongside such luminaries like TimeShift and Haze. My god there were some loving horrible FPS games in ever era.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quake 4 was one of the most mediocre games I’ve ever played. It would have been more memorable if it was worse.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I enjoyed Quake4 because I had super low standards and was gagging for a 'old school' fps game with no gimmicks, just shooting. I enjoyed the subtle balance mechanics present in allies and wall-medkits, and I enjoyed the brief moments of talking to other humans in my Silent Protagonist game where they all recognize who and what you are.

It's still not a game I'd put out as a recommendation, however.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"Oh no it's the makron"!

"Did he just say it's the macaroon?"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked Timeshift. Its sloppy and rushed (it had massive overhauling in a short time due to testing. There was a demo of the old build) but I had some fun. So many bad FPS' though. Remember Conflict: Denied Ops?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

Quake IV is a retro FPS alongside such luminaries like TimeShift and Haze. My god there were some loving horrible FPS games in ever era.
The story behind Haze is a sad one of mistakes and mismanagement.

The long and short of it is that Free Radical burned their bridges with Eidos because they thought that while Timesplitters 2 sold well, it should have sold more. They switched over to EA, but that relationship didn't go well because EA didn't really "get" Timesplitters Future Perfect's goofy humor. Then Second Sight barely made a noise at retail, so that was Codemasters alienated...

After all that, having realized that they'd pissed off almost every major publisher in the UK, Free Radical switched tactics from making the games they wanted to make to making the games they thought publishers would bite on. Haze got greenlit, but Free Radical weren't ready for the new console gen at all, and burned a lot of time figuring out their PS3 tech while it was simultaneously being used to make a game. Apparently they asked for and got two time extensions, and proceeded to use them to do pretty much everything but what they originally asked for them for.

In the end, Ubisoft got fed up and sent in a producer to take creative control, and we all know how that turns out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haze has so much stuff in it that just doesn't like, do anything like the fake your own death button. I knew someone who wanted to like that game so so so hard and then it broke him badly enough to buy an xbox and get halo 3

Disposable Scud posted:

I liked Timeshift. Its sloppy and rushed (it had massive overhauling in a short time due to testing. There was a demo of the old build) but I had some fun. So many bad FPS' though. Remember Conflict: Denied Ops?

Conflict: Denied Ops is a game I can tell you the box art but not the words on it because its so forgettable. It was on gametap, I think? I remember it just being the kind of game that felt like it existed entirely to roundout a publishers catalog, it is the filler arc of video games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That period between 2003 and 2009-2010(?) was quite barren for good FPS. And some of them are subjective.

My favourite are UT2k4, Rainbow Six 3, Half-Life 2 (plus episodes), Painkiller, Doom 3, Call of Duty United Offensive (CoD1 expansion), FEAR, Quake 4 (not amazing but bar vehicle sections I do like it), Battlefield Bad Company 1 and 2, and STALKER SoC.

I could write down a few more but they're hanging by a hair.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Quake IV is just Doom 3 but better. Not great, but better.

The best part being how robot legs give you an extra 50 health and turn all Es into 3s.

Barudak posted:

Conflict: Denied Ops is a game I can tell you the box art but not the words on it because its so forgettable. It was on gametap, I think? I remember it just being the kind of game that felt like it existed entirely to roundout a publishers catalog, it is the filler arc of video games.
Conflict Denied Ops is what happens when the developer of the good-for-their-time coop Conflict Desert Storm shootmans series does the pivot to modern anti-terror that everyone was doing around the latter half of the 2000s combined with PS360 era development challenges and costs. I played about a mission and a half in coop and despite being fans of the series we decided it wasn't worth it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Timeshift and Singularity piss me off because they're both decent games but before their respective overhauls they sounded SO much better. Before Singularity got its weirdo revamp your character spoke, there were cool looking third person cutscenes, you could carry all your guns instead of the arbitrary two weapon limit, and the design of the guns all looked way better. I still like it tho.

But anywho-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LRFKOAVw2g

Here's 8 minutes of an alpha/beta themed Half-Life mod that looks pretty neat. The atmosphere is real slick. Really loving the monster mash walks the zombies have.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Edit: also, yes, vehicles do not belong in retro fps games. Barf.

Does Magic Carpet count?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tippis posted:

Does Magic Carpet count?

I played a ton of magic carpet and it was the reason I was excited for Fable because Im insane

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

I played a ton of magic carpet and it was the reason I was excited for Fable because Im insane

LOL

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

:staredog:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Fool me once, shame on Peter. Fool me twice, shame on Peter. Fool me three times, that's it, I'm not believing another word out of his mouth. *backs star citizen*

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
My childhood love of Syndicate and Dungeon Keeper kept biting me in the arse when it came to Molyneux releases.

I even got an evening to focus group / test Project Godus and meet the man himself, after discovering that the development studio was in the same building as my then job. I wasn't surprised by the reception it eventually received.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I feel like I should offer up a shot to the God of Gods tonight. A little offering to the poor winner who found the treasure inside the box.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I feel like I should offer up a shot to the God of Gods tonight. A little offering to the poor winner who found the treasure inside the box.

I wonder if he ever got paid that share if revenue

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They had a very good streak, with Populus 2, Syndicate, Magic Carpet and Theme Park/Hospital. Dungeon Keeper 1 was good but it wasn't the same classic as the previous titles, and from there, their quality output steadily lowered.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Guillermus posted:

That period between 2003 and 2009-2010(?) was quite barren for good FPS. And some of them are subjective.

My favourite are UT2k4, Rainbow Six 3, Half-Life 2 (plus episodes), Painkiller, Doom 3, Call of Duty United Offensive (CoD1 expansion), FEAR, Quake 4 (not amazing but bar vehicle sections I do like it), Battlefield Bad Company 1 and 2, and STALKER SoC.

I could write down a few more but they're hanging by a hair.

Team Fortress 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convex posted:

I was going to make a any % of 0 is still 0 joke but thats legitimately the defense Molyneux used in 2017.

Also the game is still available and was getting content updates as late as 2019???

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Convex posted:

The god of gods feature was never implemented but he would definitely have started getting it when it was.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

I think Quake IV’s crouch slide was a really fun movement mechanic. The rockets were also pretty incredible. It was so fun getting to shoot them through teleporters in multiplayer.

I would actually kill for a game of Quake IV multiplayer, I think it’s better than Quake Champions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a retro shooters sale over at GOG to celebrate(?) Operation Body Count and Corridor 7 getting re-released. And here I thought CD Projekt had gone through enough over the past year... Anyway, Deus Ex is like a buck so if you don't have it you have no excuse.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

The story behind Haze is a sad one of mistakes and mismanagement.

The long and short of it is that Free Radical burned their bridges with Eidos because they thought that while Timesplitters 2 sold well, it should have sold more. They switched over to EA, but that relationship didn't go well because EA didn't really "get" Timesplitters Future Perfect's goofy humor. Then Second Sight barely made a noise at retail, so that was Codemasters alienated...

After all that, having realized that they'd pissed off almost every major publisher in the UK, Free Radical switched tactics from making the games they wanted to make to making the games they thought publishers would bite on. Haze got greenlit, but Free Radical weren't ready for the new console gen at all, and burned a lot of time figuring out their PS3 tech while it was simultaneously being used to make a game. Apparently they asked for and got two time extensions, and proceeded to use them to do pretty much everything but what they originally asked for them for.

In the end, Ubisoft got fed up and sent in a producer to take creative control, and we all know how that turns out.

People hold up Ubisoft as the bad guy here, but its pretty clear that Free Radical botched the job hard here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I think FR originally focused on a 360 version of Haze which ran a lot better, but the publisher locked them into the PS3 exclusive and they never really got it running well. Also apparently the game was also bad. I never played it but TS2-3 and Second Sight are still great.