Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jericho being so bad is a bummer because Clive Barker's Undying is a somewhat forgotten gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Noah has an amazing way of making even dogshit games sound somewhat interesting. I half considered playing Jericho after his vid on it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Jericho being so bad is a bummer because Clive Barker's Undying is a somewhat forgotten gem.

Yeah, Noah compared both and pointed how it was odd Jericho was so much worse because he had even more pull and aside from a few touches feels much less like a Barker work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Phelous had a really good look at both series and even went deep on to just what the changes that were forced on Real Ghostbusters. The biggest two I remember were "Peter has to be friends with Slimer now" and "Children are scared by pointy things so make Janine's glasses round."

child tv ratings boards were weird back then. its fascinating because now alot of the disney cartoons can say crap and sucks now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah what sucks is Jericho was such a stupid cool idea because its a mix of my some of my favorite genres, dumb military spec ops/clancy type poo poo and weird occult daemons/hell poo poo. if you read the backgrounds to all the monsters and badguys its interesting as gently caress. but much like halo, it does dick all with any of it. and the combat is loving awful.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 5, 2021

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Probably the most random 90's cartoon trivia: John O'Brien wrote Leaving Las Vegas, a semi-autobiographical novel about a man trying to drink himself to death. He killed himself two weeks after it was optioned to be a movie, which was critically acclaimed, depressing as hell and netted Nicolas Cage (yes, that Nicolas Cage) his Best Picture Oscar.

His only other writing credit prior to his death was the Rugrats episode "Toys in the Attic"

Sankara posted:

80s cartoons were terrible, 90s cartoons were great, 00s cartoons were hit or miss, 10s cartoons were great, 20s no comment
So far I've found the best way to appreciate the favorite cartoons of my childhood is to not watch them... it's safer that way. Not defending them on the internet also seems like a good call, because I assume they're not good.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

child tv ratings boards were weird back then. its fascinating because now alot of the disney cartoons can say crap and sucks now.

And yet somehow the same group of people will complain about Karens and SJWs making everything too safe now.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc the Ghostbuster cartoon changes were 100% self inflicted, they hired consultants because the show was successful and listened to them over anybody who had contributed to the show's actual success.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc the Ghostbuster cartoon changes were 100% self inflicted, they hired consultants because the show was successful and listened to them over anybody who had contributed to the show's actual success.

Depends on your definition of "self-inflicted". The consulting firm and their imposed changes were working at the direction of ABC executives and were not really well received by the actual production staff. J. Michael Straczynski was written a few articles about his very frtustrating experiences as head writer on that show.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Finished watching Noah Gervais's KOTOR video, and now I have the phrase "Spiritual Prolapse" stuck in my head.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Violet_Sky posted:

And yet somehow the same group of people will complain about Karens and SJWs making everything too safe now.

True but it wasn’t just the moral right back then, you had tipper gore and Lieberman and Clinton holding hands with them too.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

True but it wasn’t just the moral right back then, you had tipper gore and Lieberman and Clinton holding hands with them too.

The entire thing about the modern conservative movement is that they just don't have control over society anymore and that angers them deeply. They lack the social power to enforce their cultural norms, so their political aim is to use the disproportionate amount of political power they have due to systemic advantages to try and enforce it. It's why the animating battles are things like Disneyland changing rides or Dr. Seuss' estate no longer publishing books: their entire cause is leveraging their influence over the state to make up the ground they've lost in society.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I never watched Angela Anaconda but that art style is impossible to forget. Not necessarily a good thing.

Ah man I just remembered Yvon of the Yukon too. Now that was some dreck. I think I only watched this poo poo because my parents blocked Cartoon Network on the cable box.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For every good cartoon Canada has produced, there has been a lot of absolute dreck.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I just checked out the Wikipedia page for 2000s Canadian animated tv shows. Absolutely fuming because it reminded me that Monster by Mistake exists.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Hel posted:

and Skrotnisse(80s):

I find this picture viscerally terrifying in a way I can't explain. Sometimes a certain image will just trip me out, like there was a model of a chef I saw in an Italian Restaurant when I was a kid with similarly distorted features that also went straight to my sub conscious and has stuck in my memory ever since.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
If we're still talking about the good, the bad and the ugly cartoons of the 80's/90's/whenever; The Legend of Calamity Jane is one that I very clearly recall even though I remember very little of it. Looking it up its apparently based on a heavily fictionalized version of a real life frontierswoman and her exploits but I was way, way, way too young (like pre-grade school young) at the time to really understand what was going on so I have no idea if it holds up or not.

But man do I remember that art style. Something about just really stuck with me, even after all these years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It looks like there's still room for baffling decisions, given what's happening with the finale of Amphibia season 2. It looks like after multiple rounds of approval either S&P of Disney pulled it from airing like 8 hours before broadcast.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

e X posted:

I don't think I ever heard a bad take from him. Several times, there were moments where I didn't agree with his analyses, but I could always at least understand how and why he reached his conclusion.

He had some iffy early takes imo (really soft on Bioshock Infinite and its DLCs, super harsh on Vampire Bloodlines) but those are some of his earliest works so who cares.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm reminded of the episode of Reboot that was basically one long BS&P joke.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i miss cybersix

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cybersix is the best show about a cross dressing dominatrix batwoman and her panther brother fighting Brazilian Nazis ever made.

It's also the only show like that ever made. Details.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I feel like Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels had episodes with more on-screen death than many other action cartoons' entire runs. I wonder every so often how they got away with it, just curious and not scandalized by it. They're probably no more violent than the movies, which are 10000% more violent than your average kids show but still regarded as kids movies. Maybe that gives them leeway?

---
I'd like to add Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys to the list of poorly-remembered 90s Saturday morning cartoons.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Violen posted:

i miss cybersix

Arcsquad12 posted:

Cybersix is the best show about a cross dressing dominatrix batwoman and her panther brother fighting Brazilian Nazis ever made.

It's also the only show like that ever made. Details.

:hmmyes:

pretty sure I'm one of the only seeds on the world's only Cybersix [totally legitimate and legal way of obtaining it]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sankara posted:

80s cartoons were terrible, 90s cartoons were great, 00s cartoons were hit or miss, 10s cartoons were great, 20s no comment
say what you want about 80s cartoons, but dungeons & dragons was so good that the ftc was lobbied in an attempt to force it to start with a warning about how loving cool dungeons & dragons is because it kills people in real life.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

I feel like Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels had episodes with more on-screen death than many other action cartoons' entire runs. I wonder every so often how they got away with it, just curious and not scandalized by it. They're probably no more violent than the movies, which are 10000% more violent than your average kids show but still regarded as kids movies. Maybe that gives them leeway?

---
I'd like to add Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys to the list of poorly-remembered 90s Saturday morning cartoons.

I still occasionally briefly think about that one episode of Clone Wars that is basically the Space Normandy Landings on geonosis. Not in some heavy philosophical manner mind you, just in a “that sure was a thing in a children’s cartoon” way. Besides all the usual death in one part the tall head Jedi sees that he and his clones have almost gotten to where they need to be while still in heavy fighting and brings out his secret weapon, mother loving flamethrowers. Cue scene of many things burning to death and also a few mercy killings. Like I know those aliens are basically just supposed to be bugs but drat even in the moment of watching it I was like “Wait, bring up the what?

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 5, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Murdoch posted:

He had some iffy early takes imo (really soft on Bioshock Infinite and its DLCs, super harsh on Vampire Bloodlines) but those are some of his earliest works so who cares.

I'm reminded of the episode of Reboot that was basically one long BS&P joke.

Reboot's a lot of fun in that regard, because they jumped networks after spending two seasons under some absolutely-ridiculous network constraints (The infamous monoboob, Dot kissing on Enzo on the cheek somehow being incest in the eyes of the censors, etc) and they drat-well made it clear what they thought of the matter come the first episode for Season 3 :suspense:.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ReBoot was told they couldn't say or bring up "hockey" because it's a baaad slang term in some countries. "Hockey" disallowed entirely, for a show made in canada.

Also yeah, canada like germany is one of those places that will entirely fund a show if it's like made with canadian talent/based there, which in both cases produced a ton of absolute trash, one of the most well known being that Uwe Boll exploited that in making most of his movies.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve seen the Cramp twins. It was a show that aired on Cartoon Network and my little brother watched that channel as much as I did when I was his age. It showed up. It was bad.

The boring dynamic of the brainy stuck up brother vs the rowdy trouble brother. I think they were gross people idk.

I remember my little brother loved that show and every time he turned it on I begged him to change the channel to something else lmao

stillvisions posted:

So far I've found the best way to appreciate the favorite cartoons of my childhood is to not watch them... it's safer that way. Not defending them on the internet also seems like a good call, because I assume they're not good.

See, I'm the exact opposite. I love going back and watching shows and movies from my youth. If they suck, yeah, it's sad, but also kinda funny (like lol I can't believe I ever thought this was good!) But if it's good, then awesome! I get to rewatch a great show/movie that's both good and gives me the warm fuzzies inside because it reminds me of being a kid :3:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

ReBoot was told they couldn't say or bring up "hockey" because it's a baaad slang term in some countries. "Hockey" disallowed entirely, for a show made in canada.

Also yeah, canada like germany is one of those places that will entirely fund a show if it's like made with canadian talent/based there, which in both cases produced a ton of absolute trash, one of the most well known being that Uwe Boll exploited that in making most of his movies.

The US Broadcast Standards and Practices liason they had assigned to them was an absolute micromanagerial boor and they even wrote her into one of the early episodes to as a one-off gag character to try and show her how unrealistic and stifling she was being and it flew right over her head. There was a reason why after ABC cancelled the show and it continued on on YTV for another few years it suddenly became a lot more mature and serialized. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission didn't give a rip like BS&P, so the shackles of the US censors fell off and they were able to tell the stories they originally wanted to tell from the outset but were prevented from telling by technological limitations and network prudishness.

Take for comparison Shadow Raiders (aka War Planets), Mainframe's other big post-ReBoot follow up show that wasn't Transformers-related. Because it aired primarily on Canadian television and was syndicated in the US, they had a lot more leyway for subject matter maturity. Hence why the show starts off with a genocide, and its first slate of episodes tell an unalloyed story about culturally ingrained racism, nationalism, and xenophobia.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

If we're still talking about the good, the bad and the ugly cartoons of the 80's/90's/whenever; The Legend of Calamity Jane is one that I very clearly recall even though I remember very little of it. Looking it up its apparently based on a heavily fictionalized version of a real life frontierswoman and her exploits but I was way, way, way too young (like pre-grade school young) at the time to really understand what was going on so I have no idea if it holds up or not.

But man do I remember that art style. Something about just really stuck with me, even after all these years.

I remember that one too. It was on Teletoon in like early prime time slots and usually preceded their outright late night shows. The art style was really weird, like it was trying to ape the 90s DCAU look of Batman The Animated series, but a western. And Jane was an alabaster white redhead for some reason, probably to try and make her stand out from everyone else. Never watched a full episode of it or cared to look into it, but I remember seeing the tail end of one where she fought a dude with a gatling gun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Watched the Noah KOTOR video, it's good but I feel like he kinda focused too hard on viewing the games through the lens of the monomyth to the point that he missed a lot of the finer details, particularly in regards to KOTOR 2. Yes, the OT follows the Hero's Journey blueprint but that doesn't mean Star Wars = the monomyth and in arguing that KOTOR 2 is set up to deconstruct the latter he misses a lot of what it is actually trying to deconstruct about the former.

I do definitely agree with him though that KOTOR 1 and 2 are companion pieces that don't really work without the other, even ignoring their shared narrative elements. The game that plays the formula completely straight and in many ways even surpasses it, and the game that relentlessly critiques the formula and wants to move beyond it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

We had, in retrospect, a kinda funny freakout about kids cartoons in the mid 90's where even the edgy comedy skits were making GBS threads on (Somewhat redacted and softened, given a mostly gag dub) DBZ and 1990's Marvel Cartoons for being too violent. On one hand, it lead to people actually giving a poo poo what people broadcast on tv and mostly signaled adult content on the telly. On the other, it gave a children's cartoon channel a chance to make itself look like the responsible tv network that wouldn't show such things to kids... while showing uncensored Space Adventure Cobra and Ashita No Joe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most ridiculous 'think of the kids' thing in cartoons will always be when the ghostbusters cartoon was airing, it was very popular but a lot of its demo was teens and adults, there werent as many kids buying toys as they wanted. so they brought in some corporate advisor types to tell them how to appeal to kids and their notes were

1) the secretary needs to have round glasses instead of pointy ones, the pointy glasses are scaring kids
2) the black guy needs to be the only one driving the car

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

KingKalamari posted:

Depends on your definition of "self-inflicted". The consulting firm and their imposed changes were working at the direction of ABC executives and were not really well received by the actual production staff. J. Michael Straczynski was written a few articles about his very frtustrating experiences as head writer on that show.
Yeah thats what I meant. There wasn't pressure from any outside organization or regulatory body. This wasn't censorship or concern about the content's suitability for children. I suppose the actual creative staff wouldn't describe it as 'self inflicted' but you know what I mean.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I wish I liked Noah's voice more, but I just find it so intolerably smug.

Also hell yes Ika i rutan, haven't thought of that show in a dog's age

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Speaking of adult animation, anime and the '90, dies anybody hear watches Mistare Fusion Dragonball Disections? It's basically a deep dive into the Dragonball manga, with a poo poo tone of details and trivia and good analyses, albeit a little too nerdy an weeb-ish at times.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

e X posted:

Speaking of adult animation, anime and the '90, dies anybody hear watches Mistare Fusion Dragonball Disections? It's basically a deep dive into the Dragonball manga, with a poo poo tone of details and trivia and good analyses, albeit a little too nerdy an weeb-ish at times.

they're really good imo! they've been doing the manga in order, taking breaks to cover the movies when they were released, for almost a decade now, and they're almost at the end.

I haven't seen any of the early stuff, since I'm still telling myself that one day I'll finish all of the pre-Z dragon ball, but their dragon ball Z content is all p good.

and has disabused me of any hope that someone other than Goku will be allowed to do something in Dragon Ball Super ever, sadly

(just... let gohan be a badass again, please)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

The US Broadcast Standards and Practices liason they had assigned to them was an absolute micromanagerial boor and they even wrote her into one of the early episodes to as a one-off gag character to try and show her how unrealistic and stifling she was being and it flew right over her head. There was a reason why after ABC cancelled the show and it continued on on YTV for another few years it suddenly became a lot more mature and serialized. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission didn't give a rip like BS&P, so the shackles of the US censors fell off and they were able to tell the stories they originally wanted to tell from the outset but were prevented from telling by technological limitations and network prudishness.

Much hand-wringing, as I recall, was given over to Dot's bosom. So much so she was not really allowed to have any but instead a sort of triangle on her chest. I believe Woolie did an episode on ReBoot at some point when that unlamented live action version was about to drop.

quote:

Take for comparison Shadow Raiders (aka War Planets), Mainframe's other big post-ReBoot follow up show that wasn't Transformers-related. Because it aired primarily on Canadian television and was syndicated in the US, they had a lot more leyway for subject matter maturity. Hence why the show starts off with a genocide, and its first slate of episodes tell an unalloyed story about culturally ingrained racism, nationalism, and xenophobia.

A shame they couldn't call Beast Wars 'Beast Raiders' or anything but Beasties.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dawgstar posted:

I believe Woolie did an episode on ReBoot at some point when that unlamented live action version was about to drop.

Still makes me laugh that the twitter for that show blocked Woolie before he even really said anything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

Still makes me laugh that the twitter for that show blocked Woolie before he even really said anything.

That's hilarious. I assume they were dreading that they were going to get an influx of 'does this actually tie in to the original show' which they tried to play off with 'I guess you'll have to wait and see, sports fan!' and I don't think they ever had or intended it to have. It was just a licensed name they got a hold of.

The animation rabbit hole reminded me of the pilot for Constant Payne, which apparently was going to be a pre-Last Airbender long-running action series but was cancelled when show creator Micah Wright had the gall/nerve to try and get Nick writers to unionize. The temerity of it all. (Wright himself isn't above reproach. He tried to pass himself off as a military veteran when he wasn't to sell his anti-war book and wasn't even very smart about it, because he would have been like a teenager when he said he was in Panama.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

A shame they couldn't call Beast Wars 'Beast Raiders' or anything but Beasties.

The grand irony of Canadian children's cartoon content regulation.

"You want to depict unvarnished displays of violence, genocide and racism in your show? Go hog wild. Wanna curse in it? Sure, we'll let you have the occasional Hell, God, and even a drat two. You want to include the word 'war' in your title? ... WE WILL loving END YOU YOU SCRUB!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Alacron posted:

Finished watching Noah Gervais's KOTOR video, and now I have the phrase "Spiritual Prolapse" stuck in my head.
Could be worse.