Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is getting into shape. Or a shape, anyway.

Working Daze had to mention the date.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix flew too close to the sun.

Cul De Sac is very relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This fish deserves so much better. At the very least, a little rock or something to hide under.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

That could be an interesting premise for a story. A repentant vampire travels around and tries to help his vampire-children bring their curse under control and convince them to be more constructive to society.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 10, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 7, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 13, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 22, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 22, 1935)

Mopsy (January 22, 1937)

Dark Laughter (July 7, 1945)

Those Were the Days (March 5, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 12, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 12, 1965)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Slammy posted:

DAD STILL LIKES THE LARGE FIGURES!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Imagine raising a narc son who won't even let you quietly slip out for a wank.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Slammy posted:

I can only assume that 30 years ago great-grandpop jacked it to numbers.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I'm not unsympathetic to these kids, but gently caress they're being loving awful.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 7th, 1940

Axa

"Just let me wear the zipper down real low so it's easier for me to dramatically rip the jumpsuit to shreds at the mildest of inconveniences."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

I can only assume that 30 years ago great-grandpop jacked it to numbers.

those bob ross paintings really turn his crank

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 29-30, 1933)

Peanuts (May 6-7, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Welcome back to COVID-shaft.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 2-3, 1937)

Out Our Way (July 20-22, 1936)

We're a little late (or a little early, depending on how you're counting), so...um...you know.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I can't wait for a solid year of Funky Winkerbean assuming the pandemic would have been over by now.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Wait, has Gary always had a job?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Green Intern posted:

This fish deserves so much better. At the very least, a little rock or something to hide under.

Jack also deserves better than trying to be paired with Bernice.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, you’re asking “why would the state-owned paper under a Communist dictatorship - a dictatorship which saw neighboring countries invaded when they weren’t hard-core Communist enough - have a comic strip which showed life as easy and breezy and living up to Western free market standards instead of the actual drab, censored, in-short-supply, and generally disgruntled living that was actually going on?”

Which, I should point out, is in absolute contrast to the overwhelming and ever-present poverty and racism in Dark Laughter.

Is this supposed to be sarcasm? A full third of the jokes in Dark Laughter are just about Bootsie finding ways to sponge off of working black women with a lot of disposable income. Jokes that so much as even acknowledge racism are rare enough that a person with no other knowledge of the African-American social system from this time period would probably look at those, just think cow tools, and not give it a second thought.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 1/25-27/43

And no, I wasn't kidding about this flashback taking weeks of newspaper time to play out.

Seems like a bit of a questionable storyboarding decision to not just do this part first. We still only have the vaguest idea of who the queen even is and why they put her in suspended animation for several millennia.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/4/01

Brenda Starr 5/27-29/46

Okay, I admit it... I'm non-ironically enjoying this story. Brenda Starr, Crusading Journalist, is more fun than using Brenda's job as an excuse to send her on exotic vacations.

Jock sucks even by the low standard of Brenda's boyfriends, though.

Smokey Stover 12/8/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 5, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 24, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 24, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 24, 1989)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 28, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Jan. 28, 1945)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Why would RtD attack me like this?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Why would RtD attack me like this?

:same:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "41 - Jucika Gets Wet"

"rough translation of sign is ''closed due to flooding''"

ingatlankezelo vallalat = real estate management company

"Jucika and the Lilac"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Aleta continues to own like mad.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Curtis is at the same time the most qualified strip to talk about the Civil War, because... obviously, and the least, because you know it's not gonna go beyond some milquetoast "it was a very important period in our history" statement. It's probably not even gonna be an arc.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Curtis is at the same time the most qualified strip to talk about the Civil War, because... obviously, and the least, because you know it's not gonna go beyond some milquetoast "it was a very important period in our history" statement. It's probably not even gonna be an arc.

There is zero chance this gets mentioned tomorrow.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually that's an interesting question: does a comic strip (or generally work of art) centered around an urban black kid (or: Asian, Jewish, Native American kid...) need to tackle the political and social issues you'd associate with that, or doesn't it also have the right to just be a bit of fun and avoid the heavy topics, the way strips that star white people get to do, without coming across as willfully ignorant?

It'd feel weird to demand from Curtis that there be a storyarc where a cop mistakes Curtis' lollipop for an Uzi. On the other hand, the strip Tauhid Bondia did before Crabgrass did that and it's a better comic strip all around. But then on the other hand, Crabgrass is also a better comic strip than Curtis when they're both just about kids dealing with school and family.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I think in terms of middle school students race really isn't a factor when it comes to the Civil War being a huge abstraction they can't be bothered to care about. It's not like you actually need to know what was going on in the Civil War to understand race and racism on a day by day basis.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually that's an interesting question: does a comic strip (or generally work of art) centered around an urban black kid (or: Asian, Jewish, Native American kid...) need to tackle the political and social issues you'd associate with that, or doesn't it also have the right to just be a bit of fun and avoid the heavy topics, the way strips that star white people get to do, without coming across as willfully ignorant?

It'd feel weird to demand from Curtis that there be a storyarc where a cop mistakes Curtis' lollipop for an Uzi. On the other hand, the strip Tauhid Bondia did before Crabgrass did that and it's a better comic strip all around. But then on the other hand, Crabgrass is also a better comic strip than Curtis when they're both just about kids dealing with school and family.

A Problem Like Jamal also isn't syndicated.

I really think this is just a "kid not paying attention" gag and you could put literally any historic event in there, the Civil War was just chosen because Billingsley thought "The Civils" was a good joke.

Every now and then Billingsley tries to do Social Issues and it's always pretty bad because he's not a very good writer. He's better when he goes full-cartoony, so there's a "pass" in my book.

You wanna see "willfully ignorant", I could start posting Jumpstart, a comic strip about a black cop and a black nurse who are married. I checked in on them last summer and they were doing some real NotAllCops (in my fictional world) poo poo.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sep 12-13, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 18-21, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 28, 1945)

Aleta's face in panel four: "You're welcome, dingus."

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website
My Author Unknown? Guide Password is TheOther

Also here are two images Allison posted on his Instagram that I wanted to share here.

Lottie walking Pepper

The notes Allison gave Sarin for Lottie's appearance in issue 35 of Giant Days

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

somepartsareme posted:

I can't wait for a solid year of Funky Winkerbean assuming the pandemic would have been over by now.

I hope it goes the other way and in the coming months, as public health restrictions are being lifted, the Funkyverse doubles down into "We thought it would just be a few weeks, but now this pandemic is NEVER going to end"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (May 16, 1992)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (February 19-25, 2001)

First appearance: Fat Ralph. That's one way to change a character's design, I guess.

Also, we get some first-hand evidence of the discrimination domesticated animals face in that society.

Also also, considering what would happen barely six months after these strips ran, Saturday's is weirdly prescient.