Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

even though it was technically homer's fault that grimes got in trouble, he should have been more angry at mr. burns for refusing to listen to his explanation. the fact that he was more angry at homer than mr. burns said a lot about the guy, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually a pretty common thing for a certain kind of self-righteous entitled person to get angry at the easier target who happens to be adjacent to the problem rather than the person who has actual power. Especially when it comes down to 'How dare they be happy when I have problems'.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Back in the day, I disliked the episode because I thought it made Homer unsympathetic, but I recently rewatched it and you know what? gently caress you Grimey. You're not Homer's manager, gently caress's it to you if he gets away with napping at work? You had a total meltdown because Homer has a nice home and family you don't think he "deserves"?
I'm glad you died you jerk

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I can sympathise with being upset when the safety inspector is sleeping on the job, that could get people hurt. But yeah, in the end he's mainly upset that Homer wasn't letting himself be exploited as much as Grimes was, because he thought serving your masters was a virtue. Blech.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Two years later and I still can't believe they didn't at least go for the obvious w&w's. Someone in here even came up with the sort of okay joke of having an employee yelling at people not to rotate the w's for legal reasons.

Make it the squeaky-voiced teen, and his sole job is walking around the shop making sure all the W's are the right way up.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Two years later and I still can't believe they didn't at least go for the obvious w&w's. Someone in here even came up with the sort of okay joke of having an employee yelling at people not to rotate the w's for legal reasons.

Incidentally I always thought rather than Mapple (what even is that) call it Pineapple Computers where the logo is a whole pineapple with a bite taken out of it

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Did.....did the city of New Orleans' tourist board write this scene? Seriously, I just see an animated advertisement that goes on for like a minute yet feels like it stretches on for five or six.

Anyways, I watched the new Simpsons Star Wars short because apparently, I hate myself. It starts with Marge driving Maggie to the Ayn Rand School for Tots, Maggie refusing, and Marge then driving further down the street to "Jabba's Hut Jedi Preschool." And there it's.....it's literally just Stars Wars aliens, but babies. And if you like reference and sight gags like an Obi-Wan nanny using the forcing to make dozens of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at once, or an Ahsoka nanny dipping a baby in carbonite for time-out, then you just hit the goddamn lottery. If not, then gently caress you, that is literally all you are getting.

Anyways, a General Grievous nanny takes Maggie's pacifier away, and Maggie is sad for a second. But then BB-8 comes along, and they immediately become friends. Maggie puts her bow on the droid, and BB-8 leads her to a room where for no clear reason, there's just a whole bunch of BB-8s just rolling around. The two become separated, and Maggie's BB-8 gets aggressively banged up by the others for yet another unexplained reason. But when they are reunited, BB-8 produces Maggie's pacifier from nowhere, but no sooner does this happen, it gets stabbed right in the back by Baby Gerald/unibrow baby, who is just a straight-up Sith with double-lightsaber, red and black skin, and everything. Maggie turns her pacifier into a sword and the two spend the next minute and a half fighting all around the daycare with more references a-plenty.

Finally, just when it seems like Maggie has the upper hand, Sith-baby uses the Force to pull an entire shelf down on top of her. A resurrected BB-8 shows up and is sad, and there's a "joke" where Disney's stock price is shown dropping. But then Maggie rises magically from the wreck of the shelf, and now she had Yoda ears. The two then look at the twin suns setting over Tatooine. The short ends.

gently caress. Here's a palette cleanser for those who want it. Just a few seconds, and it's an actual joke - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMekckJqIwQ

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Riptor posted:

Homer isn't some knowledgeable gourmand. The better way for this to work would be him wanting to eat at Krusty Burger or whatever and Lisa is trying to convince him that there's this vibrant food culture he's missing out on

The best way for this to work though would be to have cancelled the show after season 8

And I can relate to this one because that was me and my parents the time we went to Hawaii.

Me: "We're in Hawaii, why do you want to eat at the Outback?"

Mom: "Because we know it's good!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually a pretty common thing for a certain kind of self-righteous entitled person to get angry at the easier target who happens to be adjacent to the problem rather than the person who has actual power. Especially when it comes down to 'How dare they be happy when I have problems'.

Yeah this is why I never express happiness or start cheerful conversations with people out of the blue, more likely than not they're having a bad day and then I'm being an rear end in a top hat

It's like Mitch Hedberg's justification for why he doesn't wave

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ghost Leviathan posted:

bitterandtwisted posted:

Back in the day, I disliked the episode because I thought it made Homer unsympathetic, but I recently rewatched it and you know what? gently caress you Grimey. You're not Homer's manager, gently caress's it to you if he gets away with napping at work? You had a total meltdown because Homer has a nice home and family you don't think he "deserves"?
I'm glad you died you jerk

Yeah, this has always been my take on that episode. Even if he's had a hard life and he's technically right that Homer's an incompetent who's failed upwards in life, Grimey's fundamentally just an rear end in a top hat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It would be extremely annoying to be the friend/coworker/neighbor/family member of Homer Simpson, to be fair. It's sort of a Squidward situation where his annoyance is understandable but he's also definitely an rear end in a top hat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Either way I still don't like the episode much because it just isn't very funny. Grimey being aghast at how much Homer sucks doesn't give me enough audience-insert goodvibes to offset that he's just kind of a petulant nerd and I would promote Homer over him just because I like him more, but the bigger issue is that there aren't that many good gags to be had in the episode. "Above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley" is about the best it does

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I always laugh at the line "I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley." I am a man of simple pleasures.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Either way I still don't like the episode much because it just isn't very funny. Grimey being aghast at how much Homer sucks doesn't give me enough audience-insert goodvibes to offset that he's just kind of a petulant nerd and I would promote Homer over him just because I like him more, but the bigger issue is that there aren't that many good gags to be had in the episode. "Above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley" is about the best it does

Grimes' suffering is funny

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I liked the Talking Simpsons episode on Homer's Enemy, because they had some of the Chapo guys who were pretty much in agreement with this thread until it got posited to look at Homer/Grimes as a Boomer/Millennial workplace relationship. And it was hilarious because 1) once it became their personal identity politics, the Chapo guys flipped and 2) I think it gives some interesting texture to the episode. After all, Homer's the guy who gave Marge the advice, "If something goes wrong, blame the guy who doesn't speak English." He's not a vicious ladder climber, but he's got no sense of himself as a worker—he'd gladly throw someone like Grimes under the bus to save his own skin or just his own comfort. I think he's a very typical Baby Boomer in that way, who thinks of himself as a good, likable person as he goes back to his two story home and enjoy the fruits of the postwar boom, just assuming he's in the same boat as everyone else.

The episode is funniest when it's mean. Not that Homer's mean, Homer is probably at his gentlest in the episode, but that makes it funnier that the universe is dumping on this guy so hard and Homer's just caught in the splash zone, utterly unable to piece together why the younger generation resents him so much and keeps calling him a Boomer. But welp! He died, so Homer can keep on going along, confident that things work the way he thinks they do. That's both bleak and funny as all hell, pure 90s misanthropy with no moral. It's definitely not a type of comedy that resonates with everyone, but I appreciate the swing the show took with it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Precambrian posted:

I liked the Talking Simpsons episode on Homer's Enemy, because they had some of the Chapo guys who were pretty much in agreement with this thread until it got posited to look at Homer/Grimes as a Boomer/Millennial workplace relationship. And it was hilarious because 1) once it became their personal identity politics, the Chapo guys flipped

Of course they did. :lol:

My main problem with the episode is that it makes Grimes too sympathetic, with the hard-luck backstory and such. It's hard for me to enjoy watching a guy get poo poo on who doesn't really deserve it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'll always argue that Grimes is the real point where the Simpsons stopped caring, not The Principal and the Pauper.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hmm, but Grimey couldn't be a millennial because he somehow has an adult son who looks to be in his mid twenties at the very least. You know, from all the prostitutes he solicited.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Grimes can't be a millenial because he's 35 in 1997 i think there's a flaw in that reading

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

I'll always argue that Grimes is the real point where the Simpsons stopped caring, not The Principal and the Pauper.

It's definitely the first example I can think of of the show meta-commenting on its own absurdity and how it's running out of ideas.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

multijoe posted:

The people who like this stuff have the most basic, factory standard personalities in existence

ayyy lmao i love the sampans @!!! do a fortnite episode LLO!!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

kntfkr posted:

ayyy lmao i love the sampans @!!! do a fortnite episode LLO!!
https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1080623958590963714?s=21

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Hmm, but Grimey couldn't be a millennial because he somehow has an adult son who looks to be in his mid twenties at the very least. You know, from all the prostitutes he solicited.

Well, Homer's now a Millennial, so who even knows with timescales.

I don't think Grime's is literally a millennial, but more of the proto-Millennial, tied up in the conflict of the generational wealth gap. It's definitely an episode that resonates with that dynamic. Grimes struggled to get through college while his senior colleague/possible supervisor was hired without a degree, for a job he's not remotely qualified for and is wildly overpaid and has literally no understanding that anyone might have it harder than he did. His attempted outreach came off as a flaunting of wealth because Homer just assumes that everyone has a life like his and can't understand that someone has a different life from him and his buddies.

Really, I'd compare it to when FYAD had the "No Joe" CSPAM gangtags changed to just "Joe." Yeah, the Boomers got their candidate elected and that sucks and the Millennials got so mad about it and the world is unjust, but... there's something funny in that. It's not that FYAD is full of Boomers or secret Biden voters, sometimes it's just funny to kick someone while they're down, to just laugh at how unfair the world is.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Imagined posted:

It's definitely the first example I can think of of the show meta-commenting on its own absurdity and how it's running out of ideas.

Poochie episode was earlier in the same season, but the meta stuff was confined to a couple of jokes. Spinoff spectacular was the episode after homer's enemy.
In S8 they were very aware the show had run its course

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

oh man the only thing more epic would be a bart Sampson hair fort nite skeleton with Yoda ears FUNKO pops LMAO!!!!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

What if simpson pog uhhhh furby spicegirls

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Who's saying Grimes is a millennial? :confused:

'Boomers don't know how easy they had it' has been a thing since Gen X, and if anything it was probably more relevant those days because you had a lot more boomers in the workforce in the exact same kind of situations that Homer was in. Sharing jobs with younger colleagues who needed degrees to get a position even remotely approaching something the boomer just 'worked his way up towards', etc.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I will always go to bat for the Frank Grimes episode, and 2/3 of the Spin-Off Showcase are good if not exactly what you think of when you think of classic Simpsons. Poochie has its moments and while I'm not a fan of Principal and the Pauper I don't think it's quite the black mark many once thought it was.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They were just comparing Grimes and Homer's experiences to the current generation divide, not literally saying he's a millennial. I was merely using that as a springboard to bring up the fact that nu Simpsons gave him an adult son.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Idk, I still feel bad for Grimes, and as Nu Simpsons shambles along he just becomes more relatable IMO. There's an entire generation of Grimes making nothing and owning nothing, of course they'd have sympathy for the guy mad at the two-car single-income family home owner who is objectively bad at his job and most endeavors.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

donquixotic posted:

Incidentally I always thought rather than Mapple (what even is that) call it Pineapple Computers where the logo is a whole pineapple with a bite taken out of it

nice

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

nu Simpsons gave him an adult son.

Fun fact that was 18 years ago. That episode is in the first half of Simpsons episodes now

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think the Frank Grimes episode is fascinating. I didn't care too much for it as a kid when it aired but now I love it. Frank Grimes is a super interesting one-off character worthy of discussion because I think both sides have a point.

We've probably all been Grimes at some point in our adult lives, watching someone undeserving get rewards and promotions. At the same time, much of Grimes' unhappiness is his own fault for dwelling, playing the game wrong, getting mad at the wrong people, etc. He's complex and a mixture of choosing to be miserable and also having legitimate reasons to be.

Sunswipe posted:

Make it the squeaky-voiced teen, and his sole job is walking around the shop making sure all the W's are the right way up.

This would have been perfect. It's always amusing how we can re-write modern Simpsons jokes with minimal thought and make them much better. There's just endless proof that they take the very first draft and never once scrutinize it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For some reason I didn't remember Homer's Enemy, so when I saw the Frank Grimes Jr. episode I was very confused as to why I should have known the name.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

The lowest point of the Simpsons will be when they give the squeaky voiced teen an actual name, probably Jaiden or something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Moon Monster posted:

The lowest point of the Simpsons will be when they give the squeaky voiced teen an actual name, probably Jaiden or something.

The Jaidens of the world will be 35 at that point

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The Moon Monster posted:

You mean Jeremy Freedman?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
One time my wife and I were trolling the boardwalk and we saw this awful child kicking and punching his trashy looking mom and she says to him, she says "Stop hitting me Jaiden!" And I was like, that's what you get.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bitterandtwisted posted:

Grimes can't be a millenial because he's 35 in 1997 i think there's a flaw in that reading

The Chapo guys had a stupid take about something? Shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

Party Boat posted:

You mean Jeremy Freedman?

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Jeremy_Freedman

quote:

He once tried to commit suicide by jumping off a cliff, because FOX cancelled Futurama. He landed in a car, in which two teens were making out, crushing one of them. The attractive girl, shocked he crushed her boyfriend, assumed he must be awesomely good at love-making and immediately proceeded to make out with him.