Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

https://www.rbauction.com/2002-hyundai-galloper-ii-sexceed-4x4-sport-utility-vehicle?invId=12610763&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2021122

Left hand drive, diesel, 5 speed stick.

Somebody probably brought it over from Korea and then realized it can't make it up moderate sized hills.
The only Hyundai from that decade that I could see myself potentially wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A comedy subgenre for gearheads alone: Power ratings in early 80s domestics

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nebakenezzer posted:

It could be worse. The G-body Hurst/Olds (and 442 of the era) had the "VIN 9" "high-performance" variant of the Olds 307. Roller cam! 185 HP. The regular 307 wheezed out 140 HP...

edit: so Mr. Regular is wrong. Not sure on the 403 - depends on which one it is, but probably close if not on the nose. That's the engine in the later 6.6 Trans Ams, BTW.
When he talks about GM changing to all SBC, all the time, but Olds still being allowed to keep their engines for a while longer, my understanding is that the carbureted Olds engines were able to meet emissions better, for a longer time. *All* the B-bodies used an Olds 350 for a short period while GM got TBI ready. I've gotten parts for my '70 Cutlass from an '80s Caprice before (accessory drive pulleys and brackets).

He's also not entirely wrong about the Lightning Rods.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 3, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

The real comedy is when someone in a modern car with 4 times the power merges at 20 under on a steep grade leaving your 80s domestic with barely 100hp at the wheel left wheezing along while they rocket off into the sunset.

<3 gutless af 80s junk.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

The real comedy is when someone in a modern car with 4 times the power merges at 20 under on a steep grade leaving your 80s domestic with barely 100hp at the wheel left wheezing along while they rocket off into the sunset.

<3 gutless af 80s junk.

It's humbling to understand that, stock for stock, a newer Camry could probably walk my Cutlass. Hell, the V6 Camry can have 300 HP, net. My 350 V8 originally made 310 HP gross. So closer to 260-270 net, maybe? For reference, it made 196 HP and 310 lb. ft. at the wheels on a Mustang dyno with a mild cam and Edelbrock intake.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

cursedshitbox posted:

<3 gutless af 80s junk.

This is every time I get on the highway with my metro. Except that has like 43.7whp...

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Darchangel posted:

edit: so Mr. Regular is wrong.

He usually is to be honest

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

It's humbling to understand that, stock for stock, a newer Camry could probably walk my Cutlass. Hell, the V6 Camry can have 300 HP, net. My 350 V8 originally made 310 HP gross. So closer to 260-270 net, maybe? For reference, it made 196 HP and 310 lb. ft. at the wheels on a Mustang dyno with a mild cam and Edelbrock intake.

I always like it when some kid in a beat to poo poo Honda with loud exhaust wants to "race me" in my 944 (it's ALWAYS a beat up honda). I wish I could lean over and be like "kid, that 10 year old minivan over there can eat the both of us off the line so does any of this really matter?"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Darchangel posted:

When he talks about GM changing to all SBC, all the time, but Olds still being allowed to keep their engines for a while longer, my understanding is that the carbureted Olds engines were able to meet emissions better, for a longer time. *All* the B-bodies used an Olds 350 for a short period while GM got TBI ready. I've gotten parts for my '70 Cutlass from an '80s Caprice before (accessory drive pulleys and brackets).

I find that confusing but also interesting and very "still giant GM".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nebakenezzer posted:

That was in interesting video in that I learned about "hey, so thats what the 80's Hurst olds was/is", but they tried way too hard to be funny and cynical/sarcastic.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Motronic posted:

I always like it when some kid in a beat to poo poo Honda with loud exhaust wants to "race me" in my 944 (it's ALWAYS a beat up honda). I wish I could lean over and be like "kid, that 10 year old minivan over there can eat the both of us off the line so does any of this really matter?"

I purposely do not make solid eye contact with people driving minivans while in my Miata for exactly this reason. If they feel like they can put a whuppin on me in their Odyssey or Sienna and nothing I can do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

they tried way too hard to be funny and cynical/sarcastic.

rcr.text

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Also the Hurst lightning rod shifters were inspired by the Lenco transmissions front drag racing, not a regular stick. RCR is fun when they stick to what they know, like obscure comparisons of cars to literature, and how a lovely Saturn takes you back to the glory days of the early aughts before 9/11, and dick/fart jokes. When they get technical they blow it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

i own every Bionicle posted:

Also the Hurst lightning rod shifters were inspired by the Lenco transmissions front drag racing, not a regular stick. RCR is fun when they stick to what they know, like obscure comparisons of cars to literature, and how a lovely Saturn takes you back to the glory days of the early aughts before 9/11, and dick/fart jokes. When they get technical they blow it.

They always blow it too. Reminding the time that they didn't know a straight 6 engine was inherently balanced and in fact claimed it was inherently UNbalanced. Or whatever their oil rant was that was so bad they actually deleted and re-uploaded the video that contained it.
Or how they kept saying 'key' instead of 'kay' even though the licence plate on the van itself literally was 'k van'

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

KakerMix posted:

They always blow it too. Reminding the time that they didn't know a straight 6 engine was inherently balanced and in fact claimed it was inherently UNbalanced. Or whatever their oil rant was that was so bad they actually deleted and re-uploaded the video that contained it.
Or how they kept saying 'key' instead of 'kay' even though the licence plate on the van itself literally was 'k van'

To be fair, they retracted the straight 6 rant too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kid at high school had a 307 Hurst/Olds. Back then everyone thought it was the second coming of christ.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My grandmother had one when I was ~8, I thought it was pretty cool

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Glad everyone recognizes my L Sienna does in fact own.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Back in the early 2000s one of the car magazines actually took a Honda Odyssey on a track. And then raced it against supercars from 20 years prior. And it whooped their assess if I remember correctly

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea the Odyssey was like 255hp when they went to the V6, no idea what it is now but I'm sure it rips. Lol at all the dorks thinking SUVs are cooler than minivans

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I fit so much poo poo in my van today. It does own. Eye rolls from wife while squealing tires is an added bonus.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Krakkles posted:

My grandmother had one when I was ~8, I thought it was pretty cool

your grandmother rules/ruled

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea the Odyssey was like 255hp when they went to the V6, no idea what it is now but I'm sure it rips. Lol at all the dorks thinking SUVs are cooler than minivans

:rip:s straight through that auto trans.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

shy boy from chess club posted:

I just checked and unless I'm missing something every trim level makes 280. And they have flappy paddles.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I just checked and unless I'm missing something every trim level makes 280. And they have flappy paddles.
It also comes with a 10 speed, so maximum torque all day ever day

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://www.nlclassifieds.com/1985-...3096087?b=10144

1985 Mazda RX7 1.1 L Rotary Auto Transmission
Has around 115000 Kms on it Originally a Lab City Vehicle.
Needs gas tank replaced as it is leaking when filled above 1/2 way. New tank is $600.00 US
Car is in excellent shape for the year and worth every cent. Will not sell for a cent under $4000.00 so no need to ask. I will not reply.
Car is in storage for another 2-3 weeks but the pictures are a true indication of condition.
I drove it From St. John's to Corner Brook two years ago without an issue. Been in storage ever since.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Of ~course~ it's an auto.

I'd still like it.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'd still like it.

Easy enough to remedy.
Price for a clean one is OK, I think. Anything ‘80s and Japanese that’s not either thoroughly trashed or full of holes probably has a right to demand a few $K.
Still want to offer him $3999.99 just to be a goon.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nitrox posted:

Back in the early 2000s one of the car magazines actually took a Honda Odyssey on a track. And then raced it against supercars from 20 years prior. And it whooped their assess if I remember correctly

1980 was a decided low point for performance cars.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I remember that. I am pretty sure it was an Odyssey, the cars it was racing were muscle cars from the 60’s and 70’s, and the Odyssey was full of cheerleaders.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

Easy enough to remedy.
Price for a clean one is OK, I think. Anything ‘80s and Japanese that’s not either thoroughly trashed or full of holes probably has a right to demand a few $K.
Still want to offer him $3999.99 just to be a goon.

Well the seller won't take A CENT under 4000.
So obviously you have to offer 3999.98.

Thats 2 cents under. But since Canada has no more pennies, if you pay cash, you'll have to show up with only 3999.95.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

I'd still like it.

Me too, honestly, I thought it looked nice/fair price. I do look at all rotary engine cars as the first step in an engine swap, though

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Well the seller won't take A CENT under 4000.
So obviously you have to offer 3999.98.

Thats 2 cents under. But since Canada has no more pennies, if you pay cash, you'll have to show up with only 3999.95.

hell yeah, it's been at least three weeks since the last derail that way.
Who was that goon with the offensive CL buyer practices?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Oh lordy not again

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

DoubleT2172 posted:

Oh lordy not again

sorry it's a rule. Every 4 weeks or else.

You just have to tweet your way through it, so here's some content. I did the old "invested" search on CL.

https://lewiston.craigslist.org/cto/d/lewiston-mazda-miata-53l-swap/7311726244.html

https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/richland-v8-swapped-mazda-rx/7316780947.html

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 5, 2021

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

sorry it's a rule. Every 4 weeks or else

"So I said I want it, then I showed up and offered him $25 less, and he says no, and I'm mad about it!!!"
There ya go

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

sorry it's a rule. Every 4 weeks or else

would you take 23 days?

Invested is a cheat code for the thread.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 5, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DoubleT2172 posted:

"So I said I want it, then I showed up and offered him $25 less, and he says no, and I'm mad about it!!!"
There ya go

More like, "What are you asking for it? Ok."
*Show up, see the part in person* "Would you take $5 less? No? Well that's annoying."
*posts in thread about annoyance*

That's what happened. But way to try and make poo poo up to make it seem like something that wasn't. That's why I had to go and post the chat logs about it due to goons making things up. And don't any of you fuckers start bitching either because you all brought it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

TotalLossBrain posted:

This is your fault