Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

I made bread in Vintage Story today.

Should have waited to do it on April 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I can't seem to find much on Vintage Story. Is it complete and worth getting? I haven't played Minecraft since 1.0 so this could be fun.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Yeah I am also interested in Vintage Story. How is the multiplayer? I am not a fan of minecraft graphics but from the sounds of it the gameplay is right up my alley, and if the multiplayer's decent I think I could get my wife onboard for some co-op wilderness breadbaking.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I like vintage story a lot. I would say that the stuff around building pretty things and doing chill homesteading jobs is really good, even if it's largely just "we turned these minecraft mods into a standalone game"- you can make insanely detailed sculptures because it includes the chisel functionality that started out as a part of TFC.

It's really bad at the basic minecraft stuff (which ironically is super faithful to the source material because TFC always felt vaguely that it should do something with minecraft combat and was always terrible at it). The enemies are just kind of weird and superfluous, there's a "stability" mechanic that has really unclear purpose. It seems like its goal is to limit the amount of time you can spend exploring deep underground, but also some random spots on the surface have low stability as well for no real reason. High instability means enemies pop in and attack you a lot, but they're not especially dangerous, and you can lower stability by staying on the surface doing the things that are fun in the first place. But also every few weeks in game there's a "temporal storm" where enemies raid your base, like a dollar store 7 days to die. But they don't like destroy your base so that's good. I don't know, I'd honestly just turn the feature off, which is a thing you can easily do.

One of its goals was to be really moddable and while it has an awesome modelling program for making content, the author hasn't really done a spectacular job of setting up event hooks or aligning his own content built on the system in a way that can be modded. Last I heard I think they were gonna just give up and pack harmony in with the game so you could inject stuff which is kinda like declaring bankruptcy on the whole situation but on the other hand, self-awareness and making it easier for modders to fix is a refreshing attitude.

Anyway I think it's a fun game & definitely worth playing but I don't see it turning into a whole massive thing the way minecraft did. And the general feel of it is valheim without any goals, which some people are going to be REALLY into.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jawnycat posted:

It has a wip in-game guidebook that provides some very basic on-boarding for some key systems, a simple progression guide and also functions as an object search and crafting guide: like minecraft mod's ubiquitous NEI; every item/object you can make has an entry that's just an extremely basic "used for x, made from y, crafted in z" but you can click the 'y' or 'z' or 'x' item and see what that's made from and so on and so forth so you can figure out how to make anything from the ground up using it or figure out what a thing can be used for all the way up to final end-product, albeit inconveniently.

Yeah, this is all in there, although I did end up looking at the wiki a lot and also watching some videos because it can be a bit overwhelming. There's zero in game tutorial, it just kind of dumps you in and says "hey check out the help files."

I ended up watching a few videos by this lady: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0X6CvP-adaAX7aXzScAvDiWxCdI87LML Mostly because she has a great very theatrical English accent. I can only imagine her smoking a cigarette in one of those long holders while she's playing.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I can't seem to find much on Vintage Story. Is it complete and worth getting? I haven't played Minecraft since 1.0 so this could be fun.

It's still considered early access or in development or whatever, but there's a lot in there at present and it seems pretty stable and solid. I guess the next update is supposed to be a big one for more variety in food and crops. As it is right now you can go from simple stone tools to making stuff out of clay to smelting copper to making alloys to eventually mining iron and making steel. There's crop growing with a basic need for crop rotation, animal husbandry (subsequent generations of captured animals get more docile), beekeeping, and some simple automation of certain machines with windmills. As far as I know there's no real story or endgame, aside from these weird "temporal storms" every so often that make it so that monsters can spawn in out of everywhere.

I get the feeling there's still a lot they want to add and from what I understand it's a small team and development has been pretty slow. But it's felt like there's enough there to make it well worth it for me, especially since it's only $18.

Koobze posted:

Yeah I am also interested in Vintage Story. How is the multiplayer? I am not a fan of minecraft graphics but from the sounds of it the gameplay is right up my alley, and if the multiplayer's decent I think I could get my wife onboard for some co-op wilderness breadbaking.

I have not tried the multiplayer but there's plenty of videos out there doing it and seems like what you'd expect. Vintage Story even rents out server hosting so I suppose it better be pretty solid if they are willing to take it that far.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 5, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I've played multiplayer & it runs like minecraft SMP. The only weird thing about it is that since the calendar is so important & in singleplayer getting enough food to survive can be a tough challenge at first, the difficulty can bounce all over the place since time passes when you exit the game. I think on the whole the game is made easier by this so it might not bother you much- you log out today and it's mid spring, you log in tomorrow and all your crops have grown and it's summer or whatever. But I'm not sure what you'd do if you're still getting the hang of things & you log into winter, you're supposed to have a larder full of food by then. If you're looking to play it with a small group of people you know, this can be dealt with by just turning the server off when you log out for the night.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In many, many aspects, even really specific ones that could not have been a coincidence, Vintage Story feels like Minecraft's Terrafirmacraft mod but made into a standalone game. If you want to get a feel for it before buying and you own Minecraft, give that a try and you'll have a pretty good idea.
That said development has been pretty slow, it's still in early access, and (as mentioned) it tried to be mod friendly but mods break after every single minor patch so it's really hard to keep up with and plenty of modmakers just give up. So someone might've made a cool mod a few months back but now there'll never be a modern version. Burnout happens fast.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I made bread in Vintage Story today. I'm not sure I've ever felt more accomplished in a video game. I had to make a bucket before I could make bread so I could carry the water, which means I needed to make a saw to make the boards for the bucket, which means I needed to make a copper anvil to forge the saw, which means I needed to make a copper pickaxe and hammer from surface deposits so I could get enough underground copper to make the anvil. Which means I needed a charcoal pit so I could generate enough heat to melt the copper and clay molds for my pick and hammer and prospecting pick.
This is the sort of example I come back to when I think of survival games and mods that try to make tech trees but don't really know the order of stuff. People were eating bread in the stone age, you definitely don't need lumberworking to make bread, let alone carry water. But I guess realism isn't really the goal here. Just feels weird to unlock something as basic as bread so late.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Vib Rib posted:

This is the sort of example I come back to when I think of survival games and mods that try to make tech trees but don't really know the order of stuff. People were eating bread in the stone age, you definitely don't need lumberworking to make bread, let alone carry water. But I guess realism isn't really the goal here. Just feels weird to unlock something as basic as bread so late.

I really like how Cataclysm handles tools, where a basic rock might have hammering 1, and a proper hammer might have hammering 3. Then different constructions require a minimum hammer level to craft them, representing that it's hard or impossible to do some tasks with a rock that are trivial to do with a proper hammer. On the other hand, if you're just trying to bend a piece of scrap metal, a couple of rocks will work slowly, while a proper hammer will get it done much faster.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

I was being a little tongue in cheek about it because it feels like bread fell off the place it should be on the progression tree. Once I knew what I was doing on a restart, I was able to cook high nutrition meals like stew or porridge using a clay cook pot on day two. And I can understand why they gated finished planks behind having a real saw, because for the most part those are used to make more "fancy" stuff like real doors, or nice looking planks for building, or a finished chest to store stuff in instead of a big clay pot. But for whatever reason, a bucket is necessary to make bread dough even though I have a pot that can hold stew already. And you can't have a bucket without planks!

Anyway, like I said earlier, they're doing some kind of rework/expansion of cooking stuff in the next patch, whenever that may be, so it might get remedied. But for now it was a fun goal to set.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I ended up picking it up, and it's pretty engaging so far!

I knew enemies would spawn my first night, and I still jumped when ol' octopus face whacked me from the side before I shanked his bitch rear end.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I ended up picking it up, and it's pretty engaging so far!

I knew enemies would spawn my first night, and I still jumped when ol' octopus face whacked me from the side before I shanked his bitch rear end.

If you like a little breathing room next time you start, you can set it in "customize world" to give you a day (or two, or three, or maybe more) before they start spawning so you have time to build your filthy mud hut the first night without getting shanked. Those guys are real jerks :mad:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vib Rib posted:

In many, many aspects, even really specific ones that could not have been a coincidence, Vintage Story feels like Minecraft's Terrafirmacraft mod but made into a standalone game.

Yeah, the trailer from last year says “inspired by TerraFirmaCraft” quite explicitly.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Really enjoying Vintage Story, aka hoarding for winter simulator 2021.

What have people been socking away? I installed pretty much every mod, but it seems the most efficient is just redmeat stew with Veggies and fruits in crocks.

Also rolling my eyes a bit at not being able to use clay bowls to get water for stuff. I wonder sometimes if people who make these games understand what they are trying to emulate. I know modern people have the advantage of knowing how all this works already but I wonder if there's a better way to simulate survival progression than arbitrary "tech trees."

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
That was always am aspect of survival games that I have yet to see anyone manage to simulate satisfactorily.

So much if technological progress is on accident; incremental discoveries built on the knowledge of others. There are of course eureka moments, but the journey of discovery is what I want.

Imagine a survival game that semi-randomly randomized ingredients necessary for a recipe with each world seed. The only way to progress is through that accidental discovery.

Making such a game fun and not tedious would be monumental however.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

LegionAreI posted:

What have people been socking away? I installed pretty much every mod, but it seems the most efficient is just redmeat stew with Veggies and fruits in crocks.

Also rolling my eyes a bit at not being able to use clay bowls to get water for stuff. I wonder sometimes if people who make these games understand what they are trying to emulate. I know modern people have the advantage of knowing how all this works already but I wonder if there's a better way to simulate survival progression than arbitrary "tech trees."

Someone already said it upthread, but Cataclysm DDA is the only game I think that models this kind of thing correctly. Any container that can plausibly hold water can be used in a crafting recipe. There's also a bunch of stuff that can boil water, as long as it has a 'water boiling' property - pots, pans, stone pots, clay pots, portable kitchen kits, etc. The recipes are also pretty flexible - there are a lot of stuff that is interchangeable - for example, you can make string for sewing out of sinew or plant matter, or tearing up tags, etc. There's almost always multiple options for making anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

StarkRavingMad posted:

And this is all vanilla aside from installing the volumetric shading and the mod that lets you move full containers around.

Got a link to these? I might give this game a go.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

grate deceiver posted:

Someone already said it upthread, but Cataclysm DDA is the only game I think that models this kind of thing correctly. Any container that can plausibly hold water can be used in a crafting recipe. There's also a bunch of stuff that can boil water, as long as it has a 'water boiling' property - pots, pans, stone pots, clay pots, portable kitchen kits, etc. The recipes are also pretty flexible - there are a lot of stuff that is interchangeable - for example, you can make string for sewing out of sinew or plant matter, or tearing up tags, etc. There's almost always multiple options for making anything.
CDDA's crafting system is built around swappability. A lot of recipes use variable ingredients, like stews that take any vegetable, smithing that accepts a variety of metal items, etc. By grouping objects into things like "this works as a sweetener" you don't have to make ten different recipes for sweet things, you can just use honey/sugar/molasses/whatever. Similarly, instead of requiring a single specific tool, most recipes just need a tool that has a given quality to it, like boiling, as you mentioned.

Honestly it's a very intuitive and obvious system, and I can't believe more games don't use it. Just put each item into groups, then require that group instead of that exact item.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Another thing that CDDA does very well with its crafting system is storage. Normally, you don't have to physically hold all the ingredients, the crafting menu will incude anything within a 1 tile radius of your character. If you're using proper workbenches and storage containers/shelves, that radius is further increased. So you can have a fridge for your food ingredients, a workbench with all your tools, a shelf with all the raw materials, a shelf for electronics, etc. and never have to worry about inventory tetris. Honestly this is the one feature I always notice missing from other crafting games, where you're always moving stacks of bear asses back and forth from your inventory and forgetting which box you put that one turdanium ingot that you need to craft a +1 battle spoon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's not reliant on any of that, you don't need proper workbenches or shelves or anything, you can have items just lying on the ground and they'll still be included. The radius is something like 6-7 tiles.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Trying to help my friend get into the genre and he's narrowed it down to Unreal World or Neo Scavenger, which one would you guys say is more beginner friendly? I've only played Unreal World.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Kvlt! posted:

Trying to help my friend get into the genre and he's narrowed it down to Unreal World or Neo Scavenger, which one would you guys say is more beginner friendly? I've only played Unreal World.

That's a tough one, cause both are pretty brutal in their own ways, NeoScav for just being really mean in general until you get lucky and live long enough to actually learn, and URW for being less than simple to figure out how to control.

Having played both, I would say URW with a basic starting out guide and a controls cheatsheet. Overall it'll probably be less outright unfair than NeoScav can be, especially when it comes to hostiles.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Got a link to these? I might give this game a go.

All the mods I've used or looked at are hosted off the main game site: https://mods.vintagestory.at/list/mod

The two I mentioned are: Carry Capacity and Volumetric Shading. The other stuff people have talked about (that I haven't tried) like Expanded Foods and Primitive Survival are all on that site as well.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

That's a tough one, cause both are pretty brutal in their own ways, NeoScav for just being really mean in general until you get lucky and live long enough to actually learn, and URW for being less than simple to figure out how to control.

Having played both, I would say URW with a basic starting out guide and a controls cheatsheet. Overall it'll probably be less outright unfair than NeoScav can be, especially when it comes to hostiles.
Setting may also help as a tiebreaker, in that sense both games are very distinct, with URW being set in northern European iron age and Neo Scavenger being set in a near-future semi-collapsed dystopia. Both are excellent games but I prefer the feel of Neo Scavengers setting and art.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just starting to get into UnReal World, and I gotta say the tracking tutorial is some hot loving garbage. I googled it because I thought I was doing something wrong and there were people who had been stuck on it for real life hours.

I'm just going to start a real character and learn the hard way. I think I've gotten enough from the first half of the tutorial to live a few days at least.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
e: nm, asking in the management thread instead

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bug Squash posted:

Just starting to get into UnReal World, and I gotta say the tracking tutorial is some hot loving garbage. I googled it because I thought I was doing something wrong and there were people who had been stuck on it for real life hours.

I'm just going to start a real character and learn the hard way. I think I've gotten enough from the first half of the tutorial to live a few days at least.
Yeah, the tutorial course is fine except for that. The easiest way to cheese it is probably just circling around a village until you find footprints. Or waiting until winter when everything leaves highly visible tracks. :v:

It is a useful lesson in how relatively useless the tracking skill is for getting fed, though. You're better off trapping or having a dog act as a tracker for game you've already encountered.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Subnautica: Below Zero came out today and I managed to remain pretty much completely unspoiled on everything in the game so I'm looking forward to diving in (heh). I loved Subnautica but cheated the poo poo I needed for the very last parts of the game because I was pretty much over it at that point. If this is a slightly more contained experience with similar but new gameplay then I think I'll be pretty happy.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I got eco and really like it. I've found what I think is a decent server but kind of regret my starting profession choices, wish there was a way to do something about it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

Subnautica: Below Zero came out today and I managed to remain pretty much completely unspoiled on everything in the game so I'm looking forward to diving in (heh). I loved Subnautica but cheated the poo poo I needed for the very last parts of the game because I was pretty much over it at that point. If this is a slightly more contained experience with similar but new gameplay then I think I'll be pretty happy.

I loved the hell out of Subnautica, so I'm also really excited to jump into Below Zero. One of the few times I've resisted an Early Access release just because I wanted to play the full product in its final state.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am genuinely overjoyed to see people complimenting a system I set up (or at least I designed it, I can't remember how much of it I actually implemented. Some, at least, I definitely remember working on it post-design stage) as the one example of a game that does things right in regards to crafting items. For what it's worth, even though the outcome was different, it was originally and loosely inspired by UnrealWorld, and the way you can use the wrong tool for a job and still get it done at the cost of things taking much longer (with their different axe types and everything).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LegionAreI posted:

If you're shooting mainly for not-starving pick one root vegetable (turnips seem like the hardiest, if you don't want to be hassled by heat/cold loving with your yields), make a ton of redmeat+veggie meals. You can fill crocks from multiple cooking pots if they all contain the same recipe, so making as much of the same thing as possible for your winter hoard is strongly incentivized and will end with you having to spend a lot less time hoarding food. You get huge health+performance bonuses for incorporating as many different food sources as you can, though, so once you've got the basics for survival down it's definitely still worthwhile to incorporate grain (or make bread, which is crazy efficient if you're not trying to be some kind of wandering nomad) and pick berries when you can get them

honey (for fruit preserves) and dairy don't seem worth the hassle tbqh, Vintage Story kinda suffers from a huge gulf in complexity where top-level technology (steel, animal husbandry) are a huge pain in the rear end that no challenge currently present in the game can justify. Maybe they make more sense on one of those MP servers where everyone's playing a villager that just does one specialized job over and over all day. Part of the logic of gating basic conveniences like 'transporting water' behind items like buckets higher up in the tech tree rather than letting you do it with a clay pot day 1 is just to give you some incentive to bother developing past the stone age, when everything you actually need day-to-day can be managed with just a couple rocks to bang together. It's more gamey but it's shooting for a different and more chill approach than all the "realistic" survival games that add challenge mainly in the form of randomly having you sprain an ankle and go into an irreversible death spiral.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 15, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

Yeah, apart from very briefly trying the beta a good while ago I'm completely fresh and it feels great. The underwater parts look great, much more detailed IMO than in first Subnautica (or could it be I was playing it with lower settings? possible)

One thing however is that I seem to be getting to upgrades much faster and already made it to what feels like a significant plot point in one evening. I already have the Sea truck too. That makes me feel like BZ is a lot more streamlined (=short) than the original game. But we'll have to see if I'm right.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I've found many things in the first 1-2 hours that would've taken multiple to reach in the original game. Tools especially but also some of the high value builder options.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
is there a new subnautica? cause I coulda swore I saw all the streamers/yt'ers playing one with ice and penguins or something ages ago

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Azhais posted:

is there a new subnautica? cause I coulda swore I saw all the streamers/yt'ers playing one with ice and penguins or something ages ago

Below Zero. It's been in early access for ages. I think it's basically finished now. I played it a few months ago and all it was.missing then was an ending video.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, apart from very briefly trying the beta a good while ago I'm completely fresh and it feels great. The underwater parts look great, much more detailed IMO than in first Subnautica (or could it be I was playing it with lower settings? possible)

One thing however is that I seem to be getting to upgrades much faster and already made it to what feels like a significant plot point in one evening. I already have the Sea truck too. That makes me feel like BZ is a lot more streamlined (=short) than the original game. But we'll have to see if I'm right.

Yeah it's a fair bit more polished but smaller in scope

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've started playing the base game Subnautica for the effectively-first time(first time was playing a couple hours of early access on a potato-quality computer, having my game crash, and losing any desire to start from scratch), which is accidentally perfect timing. :v:

My sense of direction is incredibly rear end, which makes Subnautica interesting until you get to the point you can spam beacons everywhere. It also took me too long to realize the default base pieces aren't just hallways and you can actually put stuff in them, resulting in me having about 10 of the waterborne storage chests floating around the lifepod before I got to base building.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you're shooting mainly for not-starving pick one root vegetable (turnips seem like the hardiest, if you don't want to be hassled by heat/cold loving with your yields), make a ton of redmeat+veggie meals. You can fill crocks from multiple cooking pots if they all contain the same recipe, so making as much of the same thing as possible for your winter hoard is strongly incentivized and will end with you having to spend a lot less time hoarding food. You get huge health+performance bonuses for incorporating as many different food sources as you can, though, so once you've got the basics for survival down it's definitely still worthwhile to incorporate grain (or make bread, which is crazy efficient if you're not trying to be some kind of wandering nomad) and pick berries when you can get them

honey (for fruit preserves) and dairy don't seem worth the hassle tbqh, Vintage Story kinda suffers from a huge gulf in complexity where top-level technology (steel, animal husbandry) are a huge pain in the rear end that no challenge currently present in the game can justify. Maybe they make more sense on one of those MP servers where everyone's playing a villager that just does one specialized job over and over all day. Part of the logic of gating basic conveniences like 'transporting water' behind items like buckets higher up in the tech tree rather than letting you do it with a clay pot day 1 is just to give you some incentive to bother developing past the stone age, when everything you actually need day-to-day can be managed with just a couple rocks to bang together. It's more gamey but it's shooting for a different and more chill approach than all the "realistic" survival games that add challenge mainly in the form of randomly having you sprain an ankle and go into an irreversible death spiral.

Beekeeping seems worth it in small amounts for the wax - lanterns are a good permanent light source and being able to seal the crocks makes them last effectively forever, which is less important for crocks in your cellar but nice for ones to carry around with you if you're going on an expedition. You can seal with fat, too, but beekeeping is super routine once you've found bees and transferred them back to your base in a skep. I don't use honey for jam, but it is an easy addition to porridge.

Also a couple of really excellent mods I added to my current game:
VSProspectorInfo=puts an overlay on your map that you can turn on and off which records the prospecting pick result you got for that chunk. Very nice for remembering "Now where the hell did I see lead?" and also for finding the peak area for digging an exploratory shaft.

Necessities=adds a few craftable things, the biggest for me being a trash can (no more trying to throw my junk in the river and run away before I autopick it up again). There's also a grindstone to repair tools which at first I thought might be too cheaty, but it isn't easy to make (you need to at least be in the bronze age, and find sulphur and lead as well).

I agree that some of the high end stuff, steel in particular, doesn't seem worth the hassle, but to me it's just kind of an endgame goal. I'm just now to creating iron stuff, and I feel like creating a full set of steel armor will be when I feel like I've basically beaten everything that's in the game now and I can just build a giant castle or whatever.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah if you can find bees they're super handy but uhh good luck with that

Lanterns are super worthwhile but you can also get the candles for 'em by panning bony soil, which is plentiful everywhere

I haven't found a good mod for adding lategame content, which is what the game sorely needs, but Primitive Survival fleshes out low-tech play and makes it a lot more interesting, as well as adding some real handy tools (rafts, bridges, I think it's where these stone age gates are coming from?). Don't bother with the fish tho they're an utter waste of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
haha I got super lucky and ran into bees like ten minutes into my current run

It got balanced out by taking FOREVER to find any tin or bismuth to get me into bronze