Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Is there an easy way to find out all the alt recipes you have? I want to put some stuff into the planner but I've forgotten which alt recipes I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mayveena posted:

Is there an easy way to find out all the alt recipes you have? I want to put some stuff into the planner but I've forgotten which alt recipes I got.

In game, you can do is open up the codex and look through all the items one by one.

If you upload a save to the satisfactory-calculator map it has a panel to see (and edit) your unlocked techs & alt recipes. Might be a bit easier since it's all in one list. But that doesn't bring your alts over into the planner on the same site to auto-populate the list, sadly.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I started building a top-to-bottom factory at the northwest forest cliff:

Top-to-bottom is cool because all the smoke-creating buildings can be in open air, and the space elevator parts can come out at the bottom. In the past I've made some tall buildings with each floor exactly the same, and it was too boring and repetitive. It's more fun to give each floor its own theme.

I have mixed feelings about sharing intermediate parts between sections that could otherwise be dedicated to a single product. For a "home base" it's nice to have lots of energy-efficient building materials available.

In the longer run I would like to focus on individual walled-in buildings, each building dedicated to a single final product, and each floor dedicated to a single intermediate product.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
180 GW Nuclear plant is complete and seems to be running at close to 100% efficiency after a few bits of troubleshooting with all waste being converted to plutonium fuel rods. Still not outputting max power since the plants are all supplied by a single manifold which will take a while to fill up, but after leaving it running while working on other projects for several hours it's steadily outputting between 160-175 GW.

Drone ports on the front of the building. Bottom port brings in Batteries, Steel Pipes, Steel Beams, AI Limiters, and Rubber for Uranium refinement. Top port bring in Iron Plates, Aluminum Casings, High Speed Connectors, Stators, and Heat Sinks for Plutonium refinement.

Bottom floor: Caterium/Copper Ingots, Quartz Crystal, Silica, Quickwire, Crystal Oscillators, Beacons

Second Floor: Stators, Electromagnetic Control Rods, Encased Uranium Cells, Uranium Fuel Rods

Third Floor: Sulfuric Acid, Nitric Acid, Silica, Electromagnetic Control Rods, Non-Fissile Uranium

Fourth Floor: Encased Plutonium Cells, Plutonium Fuel Rods

Power grid before turning everything on. Max consumption way over what my turbofuel facilities were outputting, actual consumption getting into perilous territory.

Power grid after ramping up for several hours. Don't think I'll have to worry for a long time.

Entire array of plants all vaporizing the toxic swamp water that's cooling them:

Map overview:

Radioactive footprint without structures. You can see the last six plants still need to fill up with fuel rods:

Radioactivity is certainly high enough to kill you quickly if you're walking around in the building without a hazmat suit for some reason but it's not as much of an issue as I thought it might be. The maximum radius from a large source of radioactivity isn't all that high so you don't start to experience it until you're basically inside the building. The rest of the swamp will still be clear of radioactivity if I want to build something else there for whatever reason.

With that done it's on to the final space elevator delivery. Made this while waiting for the nuclear facility to ramp up, I won't post all the guts but know it outputs over 780 rubber/plastic on the bottom two floors and then everything above that is dedicated to making ~54 heavy modular frames/min. The requirements for the final round of elevator parts are so high that this doesn't even seem excessive. Something like this for crystal oscillators is next I think.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 5, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

180 GW Nuclear plant is complete and seems to be running at close to 100% efficiency after a few bits of troubleshooting with all waste being converted to plutonium fuel rods. Still not outputting max power since the plants are all supplied by a single manifold which will take a while to fill up, but after leaving it running while working on other projects for several hours it's steadily outputting between 160-175 GW.

Drone ports on the front of the building. Bottom port brings in Batteries, Steel Pipes, Steel Beams, AI Limiters, and Rubber for Uranium refinement. Top port bring in Iron Plates, Aluminum Casings, High Speed Connectors, Stators, and Heat Sinks for Plutonium refinement.

Bottom floor: Caterium/Copper Ingots, Quartz Crystal/Silica, Quickwire, Crystal Oscillators/Beacons

Second Floor: Stators, Electromagnetic Control Rods, Encased Uranium Cells, Uranium Fuel Rods

Third Floor: Sulfuric Acid, Nitric Acid, Silica, Non-Fissile Uranium

Fourth Floor: Encased Plutonium Cells, Plutonium Fuel Rods

Power grid before turning everything on. Max consumption way over what my turbofuel facilities were outputting, actual consumption getting into perilous territory.

Power grid after ramping up for several hours. Don't think I'll have to worry for a long time.

Entire array of plants all vaporizing the toxic swamp water that's cooling them:

Map overview:

Radioactive footprint without structures. You can see the last six plants still need to fill up with fuel rods:

Radioactivity is certainly high enough to kill you quickly if you're walking around in the building without a hazmat suit for some reason but it's not as much of an issue as I thought it might be. The maximum radius from a large source or radioactivity isn't all that high so you don't start to experience it until you're basically inside the building. The rest of the swamp will still be clear of radioactivity if I want to build something else there for whatever reason.

With that done it's on to the final space elevator delivery. Made this while waiting for the nuclear facility to ramp up, I won't post all the guts but know it outputs over 780 rubber/plastic on the bottom two floors and then everything above that is dedicated to making ~54 heavy modular frames/min. The requirements for the final round of elevator parts are so high that this doesn't even seem excessive. Something like this for crystal oscillators is next I think.

My god, it's beautiful...

8one6
May 20, 2012

I finally got to the point that I wanted to scour the map for hard drives and I've discovered that 1) the drat scanner still detects crash sites I've already visited and 2) there's no way to use the scanner from the exploration car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone suggested building an observation tower on top of any crash site you've cleared to help with that for an entirely in-game solution. It helps a lot.

Or load your save in satisfactory-calculator, it removes any hard drives you've collected from display.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, I load my save into the map viewer, to plan my route and figure out what parts I need.

I've started using power poles and the hover pack to hunt drives, some of the power requirements are higher than what a bio burner will output, and it's not a bad thing to have power lines to various areas of the map.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I grabbed the map image from the wiki and did the most basic photoshoping to get rid of all the pure black and featureless ocean, and make it generally lighter and more printable.
So now I have paper maps, which are great for:
• sketching out potential rail expansion
• tracking important resource nodes
• marking the HDs I've collected

The online map is of course way better, but I try to hold back from how much I use it. It really does take away some of the fun IMO. But it's also like, the devs really should fix some of the issues like the scanner detecting opened pods. So I'll use the online map to fill in functions that I think should be in game (radio tower resource scanning pls).

Next up, on the History Channel.
J.J. Johnson Jr takes his six-wheeler across the elevated bypass and is dangerously close to falling into a pit of spiders and poison gas! But can "big" Bob Magnum get a tractor of ore all the way through the caves on just one tank of coal?

Stay tuned for this weeks can't-miss episode of...

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Klyith posted:

Next up, on the History Channel.
J.J. Johnson Jr takes his six-wheeler across the elevated bypass and is dangerously close to falling into a pit of spiders and poison gas! But can "big" Bob Magnum get a tractor of ore all the way through the caves on just one tank of coal?

Stay tuned for this weeks can't-miss episode of...

I absolutely loving love this

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Just finished a little satellite factory building Heavy Modular Frames (4/min) from the ground up, and I'm quite pleased with it. Decided to try and conform the factory to the hills around the iron nodes I was exploiting and I think it came out quite well! Needs a little more detail work on one side to make it look properly fixed at one end, but I've had a lot of fun building it while ultimately getting my first heavy frames automated.

https://imgur.com/a/EUWkKCU

I've seen a lot of chatter recently about burning out around this part of the tech tree and I totally get it, because you don't really have the infrastructure to do the really crazy builds yet, but the heavy frame setup has a LOT of moving parts to it comparative to what you've done up until now, so it feels easy to just hit a wall here. I know I did -- building like this was my solution to break it down and attack it in pieces.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

This is probably a super basic question, but I've made my first Aluminum plant, and I'm having trouble with the water. I have 2 water extractors producing 240 a minute, the first 2 refineries use 360 a minute between them, and the next stage produces 120 water a minute as a by-product. I have that going back to the first stage, so now after a minute, those first refineries should be receiving and using 360 water a minute.

Why then do I have extra water causing the whole thing to back up? Where is this mystery water coming from? How much mystery water am I getting? Why do I have to keep flushing my fluid buffer to keep it running? I assume I need to just underclock one of my water extractors to compensate but by how much?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

A Moose posted:

This is probably a super basic question, but I've made my first Aluminum plant, and I'm having trouble with the water. I have 2 water extractors producing 240 a minute, the first 2 refineries use 360 a minute between them, and the next stage produces 120 water a minute as a by-product. I have that going back to the first stage, so now after a minute, those first refineries should be receiving and using 360 water a minute.

Why then do I have extra water causing the whole thing to back up? Where is this mystery water coming from? How much mystery water am I getting? Why do I have to keep flushing my fluid buffer to keep it running? I assume I need to just underclock one of my water extractors to compensate but by how much?

If you have the byproduct water looped into the same pipe feeding the refineries, the outside water is probably trying to split, causing the byproduct water to back up. Slap a valve on the byproduct pipe right before it meets the outside water pipe. No need to change the value, it’s just meant to direct the flow correctly

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

A Moose posted:

Sounds like your setup should be functional, try putting a valve on the water input pipe and limiting it to 240/min and another on the runoff pipe limited to 120 just to make sure the pipes are flowing as they should and not trying to mix with each other. Runoff systems can be hard to work out since you don't have a smart splitter equivalent for pipes so you can't easily set priority for where water is entering the system. Being able to prioritize water from the runoff over extractors would be really nice but valves have to act as a makeshift solution until then. You can also try setting up an elevated fluid buffer system to establish priority but those tend to be even more complicated than the standard runoff loop and requires some knowledge of unintuitive game mechanics. Worth noting that there's also an issue with fluid volume in pipes right now due to rounding errors in the underlying game engine, those small errors might be adding up over time and backing up the system.

If your attempts to troubleshoot it don't work, I suggest going the lazy route of finding a nearby limestone node and using the excess water on refineries using the wet concrete recipe, then sinking the concrete. Uses up bit more power and space but is totally fool proof, I've used it in at least three of my large projects in my current save.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ben Nerevarine posted:

If you have the byproduct water looped into the same pipe feeding the refineries, the outside water is probably trying to split, causing the byproduct water to back up.

I am like 99.9% sure that the fluid sim does not work like that. Individual supplies / pipes don't have an independent concept of pressure, so they don't "fight" each other in that type of way. The only analog to water pressure is head lift, and that works in a way that's totally unlike real life.

A valve is the correct solution though, so you're right there.

OTOH this valve:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Sounds like your setup should be functional, try putting a valve on the water input pipe and limiting it to 240/min and another on the runoff pipe limited to 120 just to make sure the pipes are flowing as they should and not trying to mix with each other.

is slightly incorrect. The valve connected to the refineries -- ie the one that you want to get used -- should be set to full 300/600. That means that it will have an advantage over the one that you don't want to be used. Never choke down a valve unless you explicitly *want* the flow through that valve to be limited.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Runoff systems can be hard to work out since you don't have a smart splitter equivalent for pipes so you can't easily set priority for where water is entering the system. Being able to prioritize water from the runoff over extractors would be really nice

Didn't I ever post this ITT? I thought I had done at some point. I put it on the reddits, where it got like zero upvotes.

When the buffer is full, the machines feeding the secondary inputs shut down because the fluid has exceeded their head lift so they can't push fluid from their buffers. Meanwhile the primary input machines don't have that problem, so their buffers are always pushing, and the primary valve being set to full helps give them dibs.

(It's not a totally original idea; LPer Zisteau came up with the basic idea of a buffer that blocked output. He did it before valves existed, so just with just the buffer and junctions, which works pretty well but not quite perfectly. I added the valves to his design which makes it extremely consistent.)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Just finished all research, I am not looking forward to finishing up the last Satellite launch. Battery production alone is gonna need to get ramped up massively past where I have it if I want to finish it in any reasonable timeframe.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Any recommended Lets Plays for this that dont make assumptions all the way through that the viewer knows what is going on? Struggling a bit with the game and was looking for a well explained LP. Tried to watch a Nilaus lets play but it was one of the most frustrating watches i've ever done and I gave up after 3 episodes after his perfectionism issues had him tearing up layouts multiple times an episode.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Asciana posted:

Any recommended Lets Plays for this that dont make assumptions all the way through that the viewer knows what is going on? Struggling a bit with the game and was looking for a well explained LP. Tried to watch a Nilaus lets play but it was one of the most frustrating watches i've ever done and I gave up after 3 episodes after his perfectionism issues had him tearing up layouts multiple times an episode.

Agreed. One day maybe I'll do one because the level that the popular YT'ers play at isn't for everyone.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Direwolf20 is doing a playthrough that is pretty beginner-friendly, I think he's up to computers

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Finished the final space elevator delivery after fully automating production of every part. Subcomponents for each of the four parts are produced in factories elsewhere in the world then sent in by drone to this final assembling facility. 10 machines each for the first three parts, 9 for Nuclear Pasta since particle colliders are gigantic and take up the entire second floor.

Parts making their way to the space elevator:

Looking over my janky starter base with the Golden Mug:

All that requires a whole lot of production elsewhere:

1. Starting Base
2. Item Mall
3. Final Assembly Building
4. Starting Oil Production
5. Supplemental Copper Powder Supply
6. Iron Plate Supply
7. 100 Motor / 49 Versatile Framework Supply
8. ~175 AI Limiter / 600 Steel Pipe / 225 Steel Beam / 85 Encased Industrial Beam Supply
9. ~130 Electromagnetic Control Rod Supply
10. 20 Pressure Conversion Cube Supply
11. Gas / Iodine Filter Supply
12. Starting Heavy Modular Frame Supply
13. 20GW Turbofuel Plant
14. 127 Crystal Oscillator Supply
15. Early Coal Plant
16. Early AI Limiters / Copper Sheets / Quickwire Supply
17. ~47 Modular Engine Supply
18. 750 Copper Powder Supply
19. 133 Heat Sink / Drone Battery / Alclad Sheet / Aluminum Casing Supply
20. ~19 Turbo Motor Supply
21. ~21 Fused Modular Frame Supply
22. ~46 High Speed Connector Supply
23. ~10 Supercomputer Supply
24. 20 Adaptive Control Unit Supply
25. 20 GW Turbofuel Plant
26. ~54 Heavy Modular Frame Supply
27. Generators for #25
28. ~84 Radio Control Unit Supply
29. 120 Cooling System Supply
30. 240 Battery Supply
31. 275 Circuit Board Supply
32. Starting Steel Supply
33. Starting Rotor / Stator / Motor Supply
34. 180GW Nuclear Plant

Map of drones and drone ports:

No mods used, no vehicles besides drones because train intersections still scare me and I expect tractors to glitch out and fly off the map. Maybe I'll finally use them in update 5 but they don't really seem necessary with the way I tend to play the game, drones were what I needed and update 4 certainly delivered.

Uploaded my save to Dropbox in case anyone wants to jump in and look around, should be available to download unless I messed up the permission settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozriccdqlgqqhqd/NoEyed_010621-222922.sav?dl=0

At this point there isn't much left to do besides leave things running long enough to get another 830 tickets for the Golden Nut trophy, I already have the other six. The only useful projects I can think of at this point would be a dedicated plastic supply so the supercomputers aren't stealing it from the Heavy Modular Frame building and a dedicated Computer factory to supply the RCUs and Supercomputers, though that can probably be solved by just overclocking the computer assemblers in the RCU factory. Not sure either is really worth the effort without any greater goal in mind, plus I'm getting closer to the limit of my power grid and might have to build another facility to power any sort of final mega project. Probably done with the game until update 5 comes out some time later this year (if their timetable sticks at all). This game is still better than Factorio, fight me.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 2, 2021

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Your reddit post invaded my news feed the other day.

Some super cool building, though; I can't even stick with one save long enough to get to the final stages of the space elevator, much less get a fully automated nuclear pasta setup.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I've been playing this exclusively for about a week now, and it's probably one of the most frustrating things I've ever played, lol.

Nothing worse than spending hours working on a solution to a problem that does not end up loving working, trying to follow guides and YouTube videos that use poo poo you haven't unlocked yet or does not even work reliably when you put it together. All my coal sources are 100 loving miles away from water sources and where I built my main hub. I’ve been building my generators close to the water sources and conveying the coal up, but it’s too slow even with a pure coal node and mk2 belts.

It seems every move I make is the wrong one, I’m building all of this poo poo automate things, but I was manually producing it 100 times faster.

It's like a complex cookie clicker game that does not work. :arghfist:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well there's no penalty for loving up other than time, resources are infinite and you get 100% of your materials back on disassembly. So spend 5 minutes on the disassembly of shame and start over.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

Also if you're obsessed by realism, the power scale in the game is clearly bonkers. A generator the size of 6 shipping containers produces 75 megawatts? Pfffft. A machine the size of a large car consumes 4 MW? How does it not melt? 4 MW is a lot of power!

Replace "MW" with "kW" everywhere and you have something way more plausible for both production and consumption. But it doesn't sound cool so they did MW.

All the extra megawatts are whats being used to hold up your floating megastructures.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So ive just started setting up the stuff to do Phase 2 of the space elevator and i'm finding things are getting a bit... messy. I'm struggling to get my head round the best way to build things going forward. Should I be doing each part entirely independently e.g for Versatile Framework should I be setting up its own Modular Frame assemblers and Steel Beam constructors or should I pull from my existing ones? Having belts going from one end of my factory where I have M Frames feels like its going to get difficult to keep track of what everything is doing. Any suggestions going forward?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Asciana posted:

So ive just started setting up the stuff to do Phase 2 of the space elevator and i'm finding things are getting a bit... messy. I'm struggling to get my head round the best way to build things going forward. Should I be doing each part entirely independently e.g for Versatile Framework should I be setting up its own Modular Frame assemblers and Steel Beam constructors or should I pull from my existing ones? Having belts going from one end of my factory where I have M Frames feels like its going to get difficult to keep track of what everything is doing. Any suggestions going forward?

Start with what you want to make and work backwards. It's fine either way to do centralized component production or dedicated sub factories for each higher tier product.

Because resources are infinite the only thing you can waste is the small amount of time it took to get the components for the extra belts you're running everywhere.

For space elevator parts it's totally okay to feed then from a storage container just to get enough to fulfill the request. While you do eventually need production of those parts to feed the high tier components you can come back to that later.

Don't forget that you can tweak things by upgrading existing miners and their belts, either by going to a mark 2 miner or overclocking them.

Also use vertical belts! I tend to feed my inputs from different heights and run belts all around the sky. It's a delightful nightmare.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Don't feel bad if your setup ends looking messy. I always start organized with the best of intentions, but always end up with a spaghetti mess. It becomes a game of how long you can delay the mess.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

boxen posted:

Don't feel bad if your setup ends looking messy. I always start organized with the best of intentions, but always end up with a spaghetti mess. It becomes a game of how long you can delay the mess.

Do not delay the mess, embrace the mess.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It's like the famous song. Knees weak, arms heavy, factory spaghetti

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Machines all need to be in neat rows

Pipe and belt spaghetti exists in order to serve this axiom

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's not really a factory until you have a stack of conveyor belts 8 levels tall running from one end of the world to another.

Bonus points if they don't all go i the same direction.

More bonus points if you have a couple of belts in the middle doing nothing because you moved the machines feeding them somewhere else but you left the belts there 'just in case'.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

extra credit for mixed belts :kheldragar:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Can't wait for the upcoming signs so at least I can identify the spaghetti mess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget to mix in a hyper tube and some fluid pipes into your mega stack.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Signs are one of the few mods that I always run with Satisfactory. Even if you're squeamish about mods it's fine, because of the way Satisfactory handles mods - if you remove the mod, the items associated by the mod just poof without damaging the rest of the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Signs are one of the few mods that I always run with Satisfactory. Even if you're squeamish about mods it's fine, because of the way Satisfactory handles mods - if you remove the mod, the items associated by the mod just poof without damaging the rest of the game.

Thanks! Didn't know there was a sign mod, off to subscribe to it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Also important to any factory is making a slug carousel. Output a few slugs onto a belt, delete the container, and close the loop. Watch your little buddies go!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

8one6 posted:

It's not really a factory until you have a stack of conveyor belts 8 levels tall running from one end of the world to another.

Bonus points if they don't all go i the same direction.

More bonus points if you have a couple of belts in the middle doing nothing because you moved the machines feeding them somewhere else but you left the belts there 'just in case'.

Gotta pull those so I remember that tier is free for re-wiring instead of continuing the doomstack, when I load the save weeks or months from now. The most valuable resource in this game is my time futzing around with pole and conveyor snapping

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also important to any factory is making a slug carousel. Output a few slugs onto a belt, delete the container, and close the loop. Watch your little buddies go!

When you log out, do they disappear off the belt? That's what happened to a frame I got from the Christmas event that I made a little carousel for. I'd hate to lose my slug buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Anyone else played this co-op? Just played about 2 hours with my brother and I'm not sure it's a great co-op game. It jusdt feels like it's hard to work together so we end up doing our own thing and occasionally asking "hey what are you up to?" So I'm hoping someone has made it work in co-op and has some tips. If not I'm thinking we'd be better off playing solo.