Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Upgrade with acid pools last longer and just vomit all over everything forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I nearly got Phrike last night, on my second real try. Those purple ball patterns on the third phase seem really hard to avoid, and you can't dash through the purple ones, yeah?

The game is good when it does crash. Here's hoping for today's patch to fix the issues.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Reached the credits. Got there in 17 deaths and 23 hours of playtime. Probably going to keep at it for another 23 hours because goddamn does it feel great to play.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a foolish pianist posted:

I nearly got Phrike last night, on my second real try. Those purple ball patterns on the third phase seem really hard to avoid, and you can't dash through the purple ones, yeah?

The game is good when it does crash. Here's hoping for today's patch to fix the issues.

You can dash through those (at least I'm pretty sure...) It's the solid purple beams you gotta watch out for, and I don't think you'll run into those for a little while yet.

Color isn't usually the distinguishing feature of projectiles. Their shape is the most important way to visualize what they're gonna do, and for the most part color just helps your brain distinguish between them when the room is full of bullets going in every direction. Only really two cases of color indicating that this attack is different and bad compared to the usual version.

And then there's the loving homing missiles which come at you fast, with minimal warning, and their shape is the sound of Selene screaming.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Thundarr posted:

You can dash through those (at least I'm pretty sure...) It's the solid purple beams you gotta watch out for, and I don't think you'll run into those for a little while yet.

Color isn't usually the distinguishing feature of projectiles. Their shape is the most important way to visualize what they're gonna do, and for the most part color just helps your brain distinguish between them when the room is full of bullets going in every direction. Only really two cases of color indicating that this attack is different and bad compared to the usual version.

And then there's the loving homing missiles which come at you fast, with minimal warning, and their shape is the sound of Selene screaming.

Aww man, I'd read somewhere that you can't dash through the purple, and that belief probably cost me the boss fight.

:darksouls:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I discovered on the Returnal subreddit last night, that melee attacks result in an invincible iframe for your character, and so if you can time that correctly in boss fights, you can use it to avoid a lot of attacks.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

14 hour run through biome 1 seems insanely broken. What were you even doing? The biomes are not that large and only about half the rooms actually have enemies. Was this cumulative over several attempts? Or were you like checking every plant and cranny for hidden pickups? 14 hours is more time than it took me to beat Bloodborne.

Biome 1 should take 20-40 minutes to zoom through to get your health bar upgraded before going to biome 2.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I reached the credits (just over 24 hours, 37 runs) but my trophies didn't pop and the survey activities are gone from my PS menu. Hmmm...

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

f#a# posted:

I reached the credits (just over 24 hours, 37 runs) but my trophies didn't pop and the survey activities are gone from my PS menu. Hmmm...
I had several story progression trophies not pop. Hopefully the patch coming up fixes that

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I’m feeling pretty good about myself and nobody else cares so I’ll share it here - I beat the boss of Biome 1 and Biome 2 for the first time . . . In the same run. This run is just so stacked so far and it’s going super well. Onto Biome 3.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

I’m feeling pretty good about myself and nobody else cares so I’ll share it here - I beat the boss of Biome 1 and Biome 2 for the first time . . . In the same run. This run is just so stacked so far and it’s going super well. Onto Biome 3.

I believe in you!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

Have fun* storming Beksinski-land!

* running in terror from robots

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

Biome 1 should take 20-40 minutes to zoom through to get your health bar upgraded before going to biome 2.

Biome 1 should take 20-40 seconds to zoom through to get to the shortcut that lets you get to progression.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Got my first clear of boss 3, and took that run to boss 4 too.

That's a pretty harsh story event between the two biomes. Poor Selene.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Saw the credits last night after 29 hours and 19 deaths. Very good game, will probably be in my top 3 of 2021 if I had to guess. I am intensely curious to see what is revealed in the true ending, but I'm going to force myself to play through and see it organically rather than running off to YouTube haha.

EDIT: Hollowseeker with Serrated 2, Portal Beam, Retarget, Oscillator carried me through 6.

Baggot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 5, 2021

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
First run I got all the way to biome 3 before dying. The next 10+ (?) I barely got out of biome 1, as I was trying to maximize my efforts there to get at least a few artifacts and integrity boosts before moving up. Then this morning I got the integrity repair per level of adrenaline artifact, a bunch of integrity boosts, and just Leveled Up My Game and beat biome 3 (skipped 2 entirely). Looking forward to pushing forward from here. Game good but I don't have a lot of time to play so losing a run on 30 mins of biome 1 just to rerun it was starting to hurt.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can I invite one of you over to my house to beat some of this game for me? :P

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Casnorf posted:

I believe in you!

I bit it in one of those orange door-sealed-tons-of-enemies challenge rooms. Though I got pretty far in Biome 3.

Couple of questions:

1. Once you’re into the further biomes should you just rush to that one as quickly as possible? I tried that and it bumped my proficiency up to 9 pretty quickly but my health was low, I didn’t get a new weapon and I got smashed.

2. Maybe I’m missing something but are Ether and learning weapon traits the only permanent upgrades in this game (beyond the story/boss gated items like grappling hook)?

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Anything that you scan is sort of a 'permanent' upgrade in that it is added to the pool of items that is now available.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

1. Once you’re into the further biomes should you just rush to that one as quickly as possible? I tried that and it bumped my proficiency up to 9 pretty quickly but my health was low, I didn’t get a new weapon and I got smashed.
I think rushing and preparing are both viable. (I usually get a weapon first thing after the proficiency bump, but occasionally I get unlucky and have to tough out the first room with low-level gun.) I usually rush new biomes until I hit a difficulty wall, then I do slower preparatory runs, both as a breather and to help me last longer with whatever's giving me trouble, which gives me more time to learn how to deal with it when I finally get to it. Then once I've skilled up a bit rushing becomes viable again, and I'll alternate depending on whether I'm in the mood for a long run.

quote:

2. Maybe I’m missing something but are Ether and learning weapon traits the only permanent upgrades in this game (beyond the story/boss gated items like grappling hook)?
Yup I think that's it. Ether, weapon traits, alt-fire modes, permanent suit upgrades, and keys.

Overdrift posted:

Anything that you scan is sort of a 'permanent' upgrade in that it is added to the pool of items that is now available.
Yeah this too. Try to always end a run with enough ether to unlock another artifact at the vending machine obelisk near Helios.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I said come in! posted:

Nice username/post combo.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I said come in! posted:

If you have beer or scotch we in business my friend hahaahaha

Anyway, realtalk, the correct approach is a situationally shifting balance of prep and rush. You'll be boosted in a further biome but not have got the parasites and upgrades that make that biome a ton easier -- health is not one of those upgrades, by the way -- so to a large extent you just have to analyze and decide when it's best to move on. I probably tend to progress slightly too early, if I'm being honest, because after a while I find myself sorta sleepwalking through bits I've done a bunch. Which means I absolutely then gently caress it all up immediately.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Does share play work with Returnal? If so you could probably scam somebody on your friends list to help remotely so you can clear content while maintaining Covid guidelines!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I think I just caught the game loading. Ran up to a door and it said ‘lock jammed, unscrambling code’ or something, then opened half a second later

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Thundarr posted:

Does share play work with Returnal? If so you could probably scam somebody on your friends list to help remotely so you can clear content while maintaining Covid guidelines!

Yes, it does (on both PS4 and PS5).

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Had lots of locked doors with a dlc suit but swapped to original, game ran perfectly. Game updated today, just suffered a crash on my first run, about 40 minutes into an absolutely terrific setup to my attempting the Nemesis fight again.

RUDE.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What did the update even fix/change then? I would have thought the crashes would be a priority.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I thought the patch doesn't go live for another 20 minutes? They said there would be patch notes when it does though.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I updated to 1.003.001 at 1:31pm est, and it began the instant I turned on so it was pushed even earlier than that. :shrug:

Unless there was another update prior? Idk, my house was disconnected for a couple days so maybe I missed something.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There was a patch a couple days ago with no notes, that's probably the one you got.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

quote:

Patch Notes:

Fixed an issue where certain Trophies might not unlock under specific gameplay conditions. Note: missing Trophies will need to be replayed to unlock.

Multiple stability fixes addressing rare crashes/hangs.

Fixed issue with pre-order suits occasionally blocking item collection and door opening.

Fixed incorrect healing behaviour when resting in Helios.

Configuration changes to increase the number of scout corpses available in all biomes.

Fixed issues with certain custom controller mappings.

Numerous minor fixes and improvements.

https://housemarque.com/news/2021/5/5/returnal-patch-133

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 5, 2021

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://housemarque.com/news/2021/5/5/returnal-patch-133

quote:

Patch Notes:

Fixed an issue where certain Trophies might not unlock under specific gameplay conditions. Note: missing Trophies will need to be replayed to unlock.

Multiple stability fixes addressing rare crashes/hangs.

Fixed issue with pre-order suits occasionally blocking item collection and door opening.

Fixed incorrect healing behaviour when resting in Helios.

Configuration changes to increase the number of scout corpses available in all biomes.

Fixed issues with certain custom controller mappings.

Numerous minor fixes and improvements.

lol jinx

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Oh WOW biome 5 is a slog

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nice, now I can feel confident running around with one of the pre order outfits. Or at least have a reason to yell at them if it turns out to still be broken.

Aidan_702 posted:

Oh WOW biome 5 is a slog

It really is, but at least there's a consolation prize: there's no boss, so don't worry about using up resources to stay alive in fights with regular enemies.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 5, 2021

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

Oh WOW biome 5 is a slog

The return and upgrade of the rocket lads from biome 3 is just so unwelcome. Funny thing is, I think I know why they give me so much trouble - I would swear the hip fire tracking on them is way less accurate than any other flying enemy. They also don't seem to stagger in 5.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Has anyone else had a challenge room reset after clearing it? I was doing my second ever run in the 6th biome and this happened. :(

I cleared it earlier in my run, later came across a respawn room and charged it. Much later in the biome I got killed by a mini boss and respawned. Having left some items in the challenge room I decided to return to the room just to fill up my now-empty inventory and was definitely shocked whenever I had to do the whole challenge again. The previous clear of the room was my first clear in biome 6 so I don’t know if this is normal or not but the room definitely seemed way harder the second time.

Edit: for those having issues with overloading, when you get towards the end of your clip, try just holding the trigger instead of tapping. Even if you keep holding it the game won’t count the press during the overload mini game until you release it and press again l.

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 5, 2021

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Update bad. "Fixed incorrect healing behaviour when resting in Helios" seems to mean you are now disallowed from resting in your ship at all, and I got this error just a few minutes into my first run...

Edit: Sorry, it seems you can rest in your ship only once now. Because beds are single-use consumables.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 5, 2021

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I just downloaded my PS+ uploaded save data from the 2pm hour so hopefully I'm not screwed. I'd turn the game on to find out but uhhhhhhhhh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Had an amazing run where I had a bunch of health and Medkit and astronaut and when I finally got back to Ixion (thank gently caress for the portal!!!!) I discovered that my P9 Hollowseeker does basically zero damage to them! Are there damage resists or different types of damage? My first attempt was with a lvl 7 Pylon Launcher and I was chonking him quite fast, but my Hollowseeker was doing so little damage that my gigantic well of Integrity wasn’t even enough to get to Phase 3. This is after nearly one-shotting them with pylon launcher.

What can I do to prevent this? What can I look out for to make sure it doesn’t happen in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hollowseeker's damage output is really dependent on its skill loadout. most of its traits like Waves, Portal Beam, Shrapnel and Serrated Projectiles are about adding more oomph to its very weak base fire, so you want as many of those as you can get, plus a high base damage modifier