Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gravity_Storm posted:

The best thing will be the Disco Lando / Ben tell-all book :)

you just *know* CI-G will have hosed up the NDAs.

Ben is too loyal, Lando too chicken-poo poo. It's going to be either Zurovec or Sandi herself. it's going to be Sandi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/2Cs9cPw.mp4

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Kitten: im gonna buy an idwis :3:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Popete posted:

Amazing how ungrateful this thread is. I've gotten years of entertainment out of Star Citizen and I've never given Chris Roberts a penny.

I did actually play Star Citizen for a couple hours during a free fly event though.

In the six years I’ve known about this game and laughed at it in this thread the two hours I spent wandering around it during a free fly event was absolutely the lowest point.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

Checklists.
Checklists to check that they had checked the checklists.
Lists of checks that had to be checklisted.
Some brief PR… after having cleared the PR checklist.
Checklist for sleep, consumable ingestion, and consumable excretion, followed by said sleep, ingestion and excretion, followed by checklists to completion of those tasks.

It would be riveting gameplay, for certain.

It was a lovely business: https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/bathroom-toilet-on-apollo-moon-missions-2019-7

Once again CR and SC doing something not even NASA did at the time. gently caress you fudsters.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

We can give it a cool grave. :discourse:

For a grave i think we could get a titanium plate etched up, and launched into space and flown into the far orbit of our soloar system. This titanium headstone should imortilise the failure of Chris Roberts and the final death of star citizen.

This project would be cheaper and quicker than star citizen.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DigitalPenny posted:

For a grave i think we could get a titanium plate etched up, and launched into space and flown into the far orbit of our soloar system. This titanium headstone should imortilise the failure of Chris Roberts and the final death of star citizen.

This project would be cheaper and quicker than star citizen.
The rocket would blow up on a launch pad, never launching anything related to SC.

That reminded me - I hope Lethality isn't enthusiastic about JWST. But if he is, it would explain a lot.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Here Rests Star Citizen.

A project where mankind gave 500 millions dollars to an Chris Roberts because he said he was not a lying idiot, when he clearly was. This equates 2.5 million hours of decently paid labour. This massaive effort was used produce a few pictures of fantasy space ships, harass staff about public hairs while making vedios about doing the work that was originally people. 10 years later people still giving Chris money hoping his lies will come true.

Do not give Chris Roberts money.

This memorial was built and sent into space with a fraction of the resources chris roberts used in his attempt to make a fantasy space simulation. It serves to celebrate the end of the vile tax on uneducated citizens of earth that star citizen was. May it always remind us of how dumb our people can be.

May genetics never curse us again with another Chris Roberts for his ultimated capacity for failure and fruad hurts all of mankind.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

Ben is too loyal, Lando too chicken-poo poo. It's going to be either Zurovec or Sandi herself. it's going to be Sandi

If you told Sandi it'd be made into a Netflix mini series she'd do it right now :v:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Please pledge to the SomethingAwful Star Citizen meetup Kickstarter. It will be used to have everyone meet up in Q2 2022! Now there will be administrative costs, and some development time as we create the BDSASCE (Best drat SomethingAwful Star Citizen Event). After all, this has never been done before.

We have a low target of $100,000. Please pledge! If we break 100K, we can have stretch goals! Like flying out Chris or a special appearance from Ben!

I’m sorry to report this has been delayed to Q3 2022.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Boywhiz88 posted:

Please pledge to the SomethingAwful Star Citizen meetup Kickstarter. It will be used to have everyone meet up in Q2 2022! Now there will be administrative costs, and some development time as we create the BDSASCE (Best drat SomethingAwful Star Citizen Event). After all, this has never been done before.

We have a low target of $100,000. Please pledge! If we break 100K, we can have stretch goals! Like flying out Chris or a special appearance from Ben!

I’m sorry to report this has been delayed to Q3 2022.

Can we have a road map to the roadmap for the kick starter development plan.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

The Titanic posted:

Here is the Star Citizen Minecraft Tier 0, as envisioned by the code whisperer and his favorite game he always wanted since he was a little girl:

Don't tell me that vice refers to criminal/pirate gameplay. :dafuq:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

If you told Sandi it'd be made into a Netflix mini series she'd do it right now :v:

If you told me she was shopping the idea around Hollywood I'd be less than surprised. Best pitch person since she was a very small girl!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lammasu posted:

I don't think this will peter out. I think we will get a Curt Shilling situation only more so. You don't lose this kind of money and not have the government get involved. Can you imagine how this will play in the EU? An American crowd sourced game cost EU citizens millions of dollars? This could be the beginning of the end for crowd funding.

Nothing will happen because CIG didn't take money from the government.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/acknowledgements

They got got rebates, tax cuts and I'm sure the German offices also get government money or cuts.

I can’t find if they took covid relief money from the German Government or not

In fact I can't find the 2020 financial report?

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 5, 2021

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

That's not the same as taking a direct investment from the government to make a MMO.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

"Hey, I am scam artist applying for tax breaks and grants and covid relief MONEY in multiple countries with shell companies and subsidiaries , this is totally different than that other guy taking government money for HIS SCAM from one US State! "

-a Goon, 2021.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

"Hey, I am scam artist applying for tax breaks and grants and covid relief MONEY in multiple countries with shell companies and subsidiaries , this is totally different than that other guy taking government money for HIS SCAM from one US State! "

-a Goon, 2021.
well, legally, it is really different

morally is a whole different story

I mean 38 Studios took a direct loan out from the state of RI, promised gobs of jobs and huge ROIs, continued to assure the state that everything was fine until a repayment check bounced, was able to pay back the loan a week later and then failed to make payroll. A week after that, 38S filed for bankruptcy (after trying to secure even more money from the state).

edit: And here's the difference. Schilling et al promised that with just a little more money, RI would see a huge benefit once the MMO was released. They got in trouble because at the time, the company was near insolvent. The reason a shitload of agencies got involved was because the thought was that the executives and managers knew the game couldn't be made and that the RI loan was to pay off other, higher damaging loans (including some weird lien like promises). Ultimately though, nothing criminal came from any of it. The state did recover some damages through civil courts, but I think got stuck holding the bag for something like $30m.

CIG is just getting tax breaks and tax credits based off existing systems. You can argue they are gaming those systems (which I believe they are) but it's wholly different than the 38S situation.

If Roberts and Ortwin never got popped for their roles in the German movie tax dodging poo poo, I doubt they'll face any consequences for the Hollywood-like accounting currently going on with Star Citizen.

Oh yeah and they were able to weasel out of any blowback or fallout from the loving Gizmondo scandals too.

They are basically the Trumps of the video game world.

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 5, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I don't know the legal systems of the US or the UK or my homecountry of Germany if I'm perfectly honest, so I was entirely talking morally.

It's just reprehensible that a scam this big can apply for tax breaks and other benefits

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I don't know the legal systems of the US or the UK or my homecountry of Germany if I'm perfectly honest, so I was entirely talking morally.

It's just reprehensible that a scam this big can apply for tax breaks and other benefits

At least they provide jobs for people which are then getting paid. Who cares about the 10% backer income going directly into the roberts familiy pocket.

CR wouldnt recognize morals even if it was written in green pixels.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

skeletors_condom posted:

Don't tell me that vice refers to criminal/pirate gameplay. :dafuq:

If you so much as write literally anything about it and even a sentence of logic, you've already done more with than CIG has into figuring out how it will work.

Honestly I wouldn't even bother trying.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
The cold reality of Star Citizen is that this thread and all interest in it will die before Star Citizen dies, and you aren't even actively trying to scam people to just post.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen has unfortunately entered the long dark period where nothing interesting happens. Sure there are bugs to laugh at and the continual pushing back of release dates but it's all rather boring. At least there will be a CitCon this year and maybe another letter from Chris comparing himself to Napoleon or something.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen is king of trailers that are nothing like the actual game though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULVIz0aCxoE

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

Star Citizen is king of trailers that are nothing like the actual game though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULVIz0aCxoE

I don't know that trailer contained pretty much everything you can do in Star Citizen:
* Salute
* Take Off
* Quantum travel
* Pose in formation over Microtech

the dishonest part was that each shot contained the total pop of the entire server

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It was far too fluid to be a true representation of Star Citizen. Needs more clipping and jittering.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/RdJEvhP.mp4

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sandweed posted:

Nothing will happen because CIG didn't take money from the government.

Does cynicism destroy people's long term memories? Bernie Madoff?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The Long Dumb Crob-time of the Soul.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

DigitalPenny posted:

Here Rests Star Citizen.

The warning at Yucca Mountain works pretty well.

quote:

This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sammus posted:

The warning at Yucca Mountain works pretty well.

They also wanted cats that changed colour according to the levels of radiation in the environment and atomic priests, but honestly, maybe you're not so far off after all, maybe Star Citizen really is the eternally toxic shitpile remnant of a culture that should not be remembered or praised but rather shunned and reviled for coming up with such an abomination on the face of the Earth.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Popete posted:

Star Citizen has unfortunately entered the long dark period where nothing interesting happens. Sure there are bugs to laugh at and the continual pushing back of release dates but it's all rather boring. At least there will be a CitCon this year and maybe another letter from Chris comparing himself to Napoleon or something.

I would hope the upcoming Invictus will bring some hilarity.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smellmycheese posted:

In the six years I’ve known about this game and laughed at it in this thread the two hours I spent wandering around it during a free fly event was absolutely the lowest point.

:same: (but less years)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MedicineHut posted:

I think when they shoehorn Crusader and that other place in soon that will cause a mess with the servers.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

MedicineHut posted:

Nah Popete’s right. The whole folly is in a holding pattern, and watching the odd thing ping off it is just a mild diversion.

This thing needs an SQ42 launch.

Or Sandi’s tell-all documentary, filmed Blair Witch style, in an E3 parking lot. Featuring Toast screaming.

Or a raid from the Feds, with piles of crossed-out concept art carted out in porta potties.

It needs an explosive release of some of that pent up insanity hiding inside...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I stand corrected. They’re full steam ahead

quote:

Work also continued on the hygiene behavior, with the team completing setups for the toilet and shower cubicles and their relative blockout animations. For sleep behaviors, new animations for beds were set up to support physicalized sheets, and the process of standardizing the proper usage of bed shutters began.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

Does cynicism destroy people's long term memories? Bernie Madoff?

The scale is completely different, Bernie's case is an incredible outlier. But, anyways, you can amend the cynical view to "nothing will happen because he didn't take money from the government or powerful people".

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Pixelate posted:

I stand corrected. They’re full steam ahead

Lmao, physicalized bed sheets.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalPenny posted:

Here Rests Star Citizen.

A project where mankind gave 500 millions dollars to an Chris Roberts because he said he was not a lying idiot, when he clearly was. This equates 2.5 million hours of decently paid labour. This massaive effort was used produce a few pictures of fantasy space ships, harass staff about public hairs while making vedios about doing the work that was originally people. 10 years later people still giving Chris money hoping his lies will come true.

Do not give Chris Roberts money.

This memorial was built and sent into space with a fraction of the resources chris roberts used in his attempt to make a fantasy space simulation. It serves to celebrate the end of the vile tax on uneducated citizens of earth that star citizen was. May it always remind us of how dumb our people can be.

May genetics never curse us again with another Chris Roberts for his ultimated capacity for failure and fruad hurts all of mankind.

5000 years later the Vanduul send an army of 10.000 cloned Chris Robertses to Earth, the ultimate weapon against sanity.
Upon arrival 9.999 of them directly absolve themselves of the current state of star citizen, which was greenlit on steam just one year before. 1 says “it's a scam“, his cloning tank must have had a malfunction.

8 years later this army of Chris Robertses crowdfunded 9.999 x 500.000.000 $ in return for some jpegs for the game “Star Dweller“.
This has two weakening effects on humanity: Overall stupidity raises and humanities financial power is greatly reduced.

The money is actually transfered to the Vanduul Homeworld to fund [insert something funny here maybe a giant weapon and a ben lesnick joke]

that is all.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Nah Popete’s right. The whole folly is in a holding pattern, and watching the odd thing ping off it is just a mild diversion.

This thing needs an SQ42 launch.

Or Sandi’s tell-all documentary, filmed Blair Witch style, in an E3 parking lot. Featuring Toast screaming.

Or a raid from the Feds, with piles of crossed-out concept art carted out in porta potties.

It needs an explosive release of some of that pent up insanity hiding inside...

We need someone to protect us from the terrible secret.