Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other thing that seems hard to imagine with the dad Nier is how it seems extremely obvious that Emil has some sort of romantic feelings towards Nier. I guess I could see that being turned into something along the lines of Emil viewing Nier as a sort of surrogate parental figure, though (that could actually work kind of well, since part of Emil's whole situation involves lacking any - trustworthy, at least - parental figures).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

One other thing that seems hard to imagine with the dad Nier is how it seems extremely obvious that Emil has some sort of romantic feelings towards Nier. I guess I could see that being turned into something along the lines of Emil viewing Nier as a sort of surrogate parental figure, though (that could actually work kind of well, since part of Emil's whole situation involves lacking any - trustworthy, at least - parental figures).
i think people are misreading that scene as Emil isn't really Emil anymore, he combined with his sister and it's pretty strongly implied if not outright said that included memories, so it's not a simple question

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think they censored all of the gay out of the scene in the 2010 western release but in Ver1.22 they left it in and there is something very adorable about a floating little skeleton monster wistfully sighing to himself daydreaming about how much he wants to be somebody's beautiful bride one day (while Nier doesn't loving have a clue)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm evidently as dense as nier is because I missed that too

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yoko Taro says Emil is gay without any qualifiers or conditions, so him crushing on adult Bro Nier makes sense and who can blame him really

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah everyone has a crush on him for good reason, he's like BOTW Link. I'm very glad for Emil, he's a gay hero and I love him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think a lot of the relationship between Emil and NieR is super contextual depending on whether its Bro NieR or Dad NieR; Bro befriends Kaine and Emil, but with Dad, it feels more like he adopts them, so for that one scene that I think we're all talking about, Bro and Emil have a conversation about how Emil will find a nice lady one day but he just kind of mutters that he's not looking for a lady after Bro and Weiss leave, but on the other side, the conversation is more about Dad's old wedding and Emil wonders if he'll ever get married again and it kinda comes off as him wanting an adoptive Mom too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i think people are misreading that scene as Emil isn't really Emil anymore, he combined with his sister and it's pretty strongly implied if not outright said that included memories, so it's not a simple question

Nah, Yoko Taro has outright said Emil's gay.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think Dad Nier ends up closer to Kaine in some ways (they're both killers who accept they kill for their survival and so on) but I also think he ends up far closer to Weiss than Bro ever does, just by virtue of them effectively being the "adults" of the party.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I caught the legendary fish. Fishing was a blast. RPG really does need fishing.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Nah, Yoko Taro has outright said Emil's gay.
ya clearly i was unaware of that my thoughts were more the distinction of Emil as a person before and after The Incident, but given how little we see of Emil before then it's meaningless

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can I just skip all the old cutscenes in C and D or is there new stuff added?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fadam posted:

there's a couple new scenes but they'll immediately be obvious

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Augus posted:

there's a couple new scenes but they'll immediately be obvious

cheers

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

I think they censored all of the gay out of the scene in the 2010 western release but in Ver1.22 they left it in and there is something very adorable about a floating little skeleton monster wistfully sighing to himself daydreaming about how much he wants to be somebody's beautiful bride one day (while Nier doesn't loving have a clue)

Tbf Nier is a very good looking guy.

ChaosArgate posted:

I think a lot of the relationship between Emil and NieR is super contextual depending on whether its Bro NieR or Dad NieR; Bro befriends Kaine and Emil, but with Dad, it feels more like he adopts them, so for that one scene that I think we're all talking about, Bro and Emil have a conversation about how Emil will find a nice lady one day but he just kind of mutters that he's not looking for a lady after Bro and Weiss leave, but on the other side, the conversation is more about Dad's old wedding and Emil wonders if he'll ever get married again and it kinda comes off as him wanting an adoptive Mom too.

This makes a lot of sense. I can easily see how a framing of dad Nier being a surrogate parent to Kaine and Emil could make sense. Both essentially lack such a figure in their lives.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Did A and B and I'm assuming this run that's supposed to be C is going to be identical to B (with aforementioned extra cut-scenes that are obvious) until a very obvious final decision at the very end, and picking the decision that changes the outcome that happened in both A and B will give me C? I do have 100% weapons, to be clear. I'm just trying to speed through this playthrough as I'm starting to burn out but I still want to be emotionally destroyed by the remaining endings.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Am I right in thinking that the Shadowlord put Yonah behind Hansel & Gretel's barrier at the top of the Lost Shrine? During their first meeting, Noir told Weiss that the Shadowlord set events into motion for Nier to meet Weiss and collect the Sealed Verses, so he must've wanted to lure Nier to where Weiss was stored.

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, if you read the documents that the twins beam into Weiss' head before their boss fight it says that Shades started relapsing around the same time Replicants started becoming self-aware, so there's certainly some link between the two.

If the Shadowlord hadn't been impatient and gone rogue, I imagine the Devola and Popola units would've eventually found a way to store the Replicants's consciousness into android bodies so that the Shades could reclaim their bodies.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fadam posted:

There are new cutscenes during the shipwreck section all the way until the very end when you go back to doing other things so maybe stop skipping there until it’s all over.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

amigolupus posted:

Am I right in thinking that the Shadowlord put Yonah behind Hansel & Gretel's barrier at the top of the Lost Shrine? During their first meeting, Noir told Weiss that the Shadowlord set events into motion for Nier to meet Weiss and collect the Sealed Verses, so he must've wanted to lure Nier to where Weiss was stored.

Dunno, but he definitely knew she was coming. Popola was extremely sus with her "oh, there are Lunar Tears at the top of this ancient shrine, *wink*" - especially when there were none. She would've said anything to get Yonah over there. Just like how she and Devola have to extemporaneously improv a legend about Weiss - which is hilarious if you think about it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

Did A and B and I'm assuming this run that's supposed to be C is going to be identical to B (with aforementioned extra cut-scenes that are obvious) until a very obvious final decision at the very end, and picking the decision that changes the outcome that happened in both A and B will give me C? I do have 100% weapons, to be clear. I'm just trying to speed through this playthrough as I'm starting to burn out but I still want to be emotionally destroyed by the remaining endings.

You get a decision that determines if you get C or D.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

HOLY gently caress, on only my third attempt of hybridizing pink and peach moonflowers, not only did I get the Lunar Tear - I GOT 2 IN ONE BATCH!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I currently have two Indigo seeds, the past two harvests (full moonflower fields) have come up empty otherwise lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

which is why the almost-kiss scene with kaine felt weird and out of left field in Gestalt but makes perfect sense in Replicant

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Beefstew posted:

Dunno, but he definitely knew she was coming. Popola was extremely sus with her "oh, there are Lunar Tears at the top of this ancient shrine, *wink*" - especially when there were none. She would've said anything to get Yonah over there. Just like how she and Devola have to extemporaneously improv a legend about Weiss - which is hilarious if you think about it.
That bit is really funny in hindsight because holy poo poo devola, why would you say the legend was about Weiss defeating Noir instead of something like "and with sealed verses in hand, the twin books worked together to save the land" or something similar. Like even the slightest hint of "if they merge, Weiss comes out on top and then will have the power to cure the Black Scrawl with magic" would have solved literally all of their problems.

The answer is, of course, "because then there wouldn't have been a video game" but it's still a massive blunder on her part. Devola, you're going to drive your sister to drink.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I dread the gardening quests

I do like the actual gardening, but the quest items being completely random and also on the time clock kinda sucks rear end

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Speedrun complete! :toot:

No idea where this ranks but I felt pretty good about it.

Bonus Emil in Samurai gear. He's SO ADORABLE!!! :3:

Now to get the Endings other than A and B.

edit:

This would've been a WR had I recorded it. :stare:

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 6, 2021

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

if you're starting to feel burnt out I'd take a break honestly, I forced myself to power through for endings C&D and it kinda soured the experience for me. then again I think I had the wrong expectations for the C&D endings so maybe you won't feel the same way

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After considerably more difficulty than with Replicant, I finally managed to get the PC Automata to a smooth 60fps at 4k (thanks to using the options mentioned by this guy here - https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/3/1736595227844105620/?ctp=2).

It kind of sucks that most people are playing the PC version of a game like Replicant or Automata with dramatically poorer performance than is necessary. Using these options was the difference between a really choppy ~40fps and a perfectly smooth 60fps.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question in regards to the new ending. I'm a colossal fan of the original Nier so I know all the twists and turns of the remake and I'm playing it anyway. I heard there's a new ending past D and when I looked up a 'spoiler free' guide it was like 'oh btw you'll get your old save back.' and now I'm kinda torn. Grinding level ups for weapons just to get that trophy but super eager to see the new stuff. I just need a yes or no answer but was that guide correct? Cause if so I'm going to see what the new ending is about then worry about The Grind.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question in regards to the new ending. I'm a colossal fan of the original Nier so I know all the twists and turns of the remake and I'm playing it anyway. I heard there's a new ending past D and when I looked up a 'spoiler free' guide it was like 'oh btw you'll get your old save back.' and now I'm kinda torn. Grinding level ups for weapons just to get that trophy but super eager to see the new stuff. I just need a yes or no answer but was that guide correct? Cause if so I'm going to see what the new ending is about then worry about The Grind.

It is correct.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait are you for real?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Wait are you for real?

Yup.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Wait are you for real?

Final ending spoilers don’t even look unless you really really need to know instead of just playing and finding out you finish ending D, start a new game and it won’t let you use the same name as your original playthrough. Get to new content, complete new content, and at the end of things it asks you for the name of the person you’re trying to remember. Put in the name from your original save and it gets restored.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jesus loving christ.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Raxivace posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Ending E is Ending E straight out of Grimoire Nier, BTW - so technically, it existed way before the remake.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ending E question (mega spoilers) out of curiosity, does anything interesting happen if you choose "no" when it asks if you want to restore the protagonist? I didn't check because it was late, I wanted to go to bed, and I assumed that choosing it might make me have to do the whole final encounter over again

Also is there anything interesting that happens if you complete the game again with your restored save? I couldn't bring myself to run the lost shrine/shadowlord's castle again to find out myself. I'm guessing no, since this ending came across as the legitimately final one, but you never know with this guy

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ending E question (mega spoilers) out of curiosity, does anything interesting happen if you choose "no" when it asks if you want to restore the protagonist? I didn't check because it was late, I wanted to go to bed, and I assumed that choosing it might make me have to do the whole final encounter over again

Also is there anything interesting that happens if you complete the game again with your restored save? I couldn't bring myself to run the lost shrine/shadowlord's castle again to find out myself. I'm guessing no, since this ending came across as the legitimately final one, but you never know with this guy

1st q: no idea i was expecting it to kick you back to main menu and require an entire run of the ending e area (which has one savepoint at the beginning, so didn't bother checking)

2nd q: no nothing special happens, however you can use that for the New Game -> Ending A speedrun achievement. worth noting that you're only given one save file back - presumably the most recent one used before you storm the castle for ending D

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

axeil posted:

edit:

This would've been a WR had I recorded it. :stare:

Do it again, recording it, submit it. Become a part of SummoningSalt's video on Nier Speedruns a few years down the line.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Ainsley McTree posted:

No, it basically just drops you back to the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I keep seeing these walls of text about the new ending. I think I know what it is, but I'm not going to confirm until I get there.
I just wanna know: good or bad?