Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Do we have the All Stars premiere yet? Does this mean we'll potentially have 3 separate seasons of drag race airing at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Nihonniboku posted:

Do we have the All Stars premiere yet? Does this mean we'll potentially have 3 separate seasons of drag race airing at once?

No dates yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. I could also see them waiting until July since Down Under should be done by then.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It's too much for me. I haven't even watched DR Holland yet. The wrong thread title was picked -- it should've been "A sensible 74 seasons"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

It's too much for me. I haven't even watched DR Holland yet. The wrong thread title was picked -- it should've been "A sensible 74 seasons"

Holland, some of the humor fell flat as a result of being lost in translation, and I didn't know some of the Dutch pop cultural references, but I had fun with it. There were some great queens. It felt a lot like season 3 or 4 of Drag Race OG.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

This all falls apart when you realize the UK2 was opposite S13 but if they try and avoid scheduling Ru-hosted series opposite each other as much as possible:

Jan-Apr: S13
May-Jun: Down Under
Jul-Sep: All-Stars
Oct-Dec: UK 3
Jan 2022: S14

IT.
NEVER.
STOPS.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

This all falls apart when you realize the UK2 was opposite S13 but if they try and avoid scheduling Ru-hosted series opposite each other as much as possible:

Jan-Apr: S13
May-Jun: Down Under
Jul-Sep: All-Stars
Oct-Dec: UK 3
Jan 2022: S14

IT.
NEVER.
STOPS.

Yeah, I think last year it was drag race pretty much none stop from January through October.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I never got to DR Holland or Canada, and I think I'll probably skip Down Under for now as well. I'll create my own off season and check out these international franchises when I'm feeling more excited for the new drag race content. I really liked watching them live when I could go to the bar and experience it with the rest of the crowd, but when I'm watching on my couch I kinda prefer binging, like I feel like there's less focus on the questionable judging or production tomfoolery that way and I can relax and just enjoy the queens better that way. Not really sure why. Maybe it's just quarantine talking.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I didn't really enjoy Holland, but maybe that was because I just wasn't familiar enough with the culture to understand the humour? Canada though... worth a watch IMO for some genuinely charming contestants.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
RuPaul: Drag will never be mainstream!

Also RuPaul: I am airing 74 concurrent seasons of Drag Race.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

A God drat Ghost posted:

I never got to DR Holland or Canada, and I think I'll probably skip Down Under for now as well. I'll create my own off season and check out these international franchises when I'm feeling more excited for the new drag race content. I really liked watching them live when I could go to the bar and experience it with the rest of the crowd, but when I'm watching on my couch I kinda prefer binging, like I feel like there's less focus on the questionable judging or production tomfoolery that way and I can relax and just enjoy the queens better that way. Not really sure why. Maybe it's just quarantine talking.

Burnout is real, take a break when you need to take a break...

...and watch Canada. It's good.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Can’t wait for a Marvel-esque trailer detailing premiere dates for all the Ru Paul Extended Universe franchises of the next three years.

It kind of works if you consider All Stars the Avengers equivalent.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Avengers: SnatchGame

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

What is the Library if not superhero banter?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I found DR Canada so boring that I didn't finish it. And I'm Canadian. :shrug:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i liked the Queens in the canada competition but that judging panel.... yikes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ru can travel to the UK and New Zealand, but can't come up to, what, Hamilton ON?

:cmon:

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

alf_pogs posted:

i liked the Queens in the canada competition but that judging panel.... yikes

I didn't like that the celeb guest judges were the ones that said Ru's lines like "and may the best woman drag queen win" and the entire lip-sync spiel. Would Ru not allow Brooklyn to recite those lines? Was that giving Brooklyn too much power or what? The guest judges all fell flat on their delivery, which upset me even more.

I liked Stacey. JBC on the other hand... ick.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

resting mitch face posted:

I didn't like that the celeb guest judges were the ones that said Ru's lines like "and may the best woman drag queen win" and the entire lip-sync spiel. Would Ru not allow Brooklyn to recite those lines? Was that giving Brooklyn too much power or what? The guest judges all fell flat on their delivery, which upset me even more.

I liked Stacey. JBC on the other hand... ick.

Is it too unbelievable that Ru wouldn't let a lowly Drag Race contestant usurp her role? I think it was pretty obvious lol

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ru can travel to the UK and New Zealand, but can't come up to, what, Hamilton ON?

England and Australia are fancy places to travel to. Canada, not so much.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
DRCA sounds like a season of good queens but bad judges, probably perfect for a binge.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I would have liked to see how JBC adjusted his judging for S2, but he's on a TV series now so go make that money!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A God drat Ghost posted:

DRCA sounds like a season of good queens but bad judges, probably perfect for a binge.

The problem was that they were all trying to be Michelle, and there was no equivalent of a Ross or a Carson. They all just routinely ripped the queens to shreds, and JBC unfairly got the biggest criticism, even though he was about on the same level as the other two judges.

But Canada has some great queens, and I was very happy with the winner, even if she wasn't who I had picked to win.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i feel like people really oversold the drag race down under snatch game being "the worst ever" or whatever

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

punishedkissinger posted:

i feel like people really oversold the drag race down under snatch game being "the worst ever" or whatever

Agreed. Despite the judging, there were plenty of performances that would have been safe in other Seasons/formats. I think that someone being kilometers better than everyone else did affect their decision.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punishedkissinger posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened here. US Snatch Game this past season was way worse.

Dr Seuss was certainly a choice. If you're going to do a man, it needs to be camp. That was just some bad rhymes in a grey suit.

I'm not sure if I agree with who went home, but the winner absolutely deserved it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It was a better Snatch Game than whatever season "snooki want smush smush" was, but it wasn't great. Anita did absolutely kill it, but it's not like royals jokes are hard, the performance was there though. It's smart to do an easy character.

e: etc. etc. did a better job than I was expecting, but that's still kind of a lovely thing to do

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

e: etc. etc. did a better job than I was expecting, but that's still kind of a lovely thing to do

Yeah, that was a little rough. She was kind of funny. It was in poor taste, which can be remedied if the humor was shocking, but she just wasn't quite successful. Ultimately, it was like, "Yeah, that was kind of funny, but it didn't quite make me feel good to laugh at that."

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Very meh all around. Even the winner.

Maybe doing it so early was detrimental. The queens weren't comfortable and confident enough yet.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

drat. Not that I disagree with who went, but man, it's hard to see her go... I thought she was one of the front-runners for sure.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Is it just me or have they done barely any of the name/age/location tags when the queens are talking? I know US Drag Race does it just about every time someone talks but after 2 episodes of Down Under theres several queens whos name I'm unsure of

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm glad of the result simply because it gave us the episodes best moment: That means nothing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

alf_pogs posted:

I'm glad of the result simply because it gave us the episodes best moment: That means nothing.

I don't know if it's the best moment, it made me extremely uncomfortable because I know that entire bit was coming from a place of severe depression and self loathing.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Christ, that was rough. The Minogue zoom calls led to nothing.
The snatch game wasn’t as bad as the rumours said. Saying that, Anita’s QE2 was good with some solid but unoriginal jokes.

Art being in the bottom 2 was a shock. But Ru does like to eliminate some of the better known queens. (Joe Black, Kelly Mantle).

Having seen Art a few times before around Melbourne you know she puts everything into her drag and artistry. For her to be eliminated from a show she has wanted to be on for years, was heartbreaking to see. While her line ‘That means NOTHING’ was iconic, you know she’s absolutely devastated to not only be eliminated. But eliminated 2nd. Who remembers the 2nd out!?

I was seriously expecting her to make her way to the finale, on a similar trajectory to The Vivienne in DRUK.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I definitely got the impression that the Dannii Minogue call was pre-recorded and they had the queens react as if it were live. Same with Taika Watiti but it was way more obvious with him.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Really felt let down that after having the minouges on the lip sync was to a RuPaul track

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yah what the gently caress - 2 Minogues and you couldn’t get the license for 1 song??

Also what a huge upset - but I suppose booting the only queens of color off first would be bad for metrics. Electra maybe needs to go next.

Also that Snatch game was beyond horrible and while not a train wreck it was even worse: boring.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Down Under is co-produced by Warner Bros and the NZ public broadcaster. Which means that the government of New Zealand would have subsidied production to prop up their TV/film industry during Covid. And granted the necessary visa exceptions.

Drag Race UK would have gotten a similar arrangement with the BBC.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Maybe being an Australian it hit closer to home but it was extremely hosed up to do Lindy Chamberlain on the Snatch game, jesus gently caress is every aspect of that story a loving nightmare and national shame and god that isn't a good character to make light of.

To really emphasize how gross this is to non-Australian who don't know this story.

In 1984 after her baby was killed and eaten by a dingo breaking into their tent while it was un attended she accused of having murdered her own child and the media went crazy over her voice and accent. They harassed her, and systematically destroyed her life, the police turned away witnesses who backed up her story all because she sounded funny on tv and became a joke.

She was convicted of murdering her own child and sent to prison for years before new foresic data and a second inquiry highlight how much of a loving gross shitshow the trial and process was, how none of the evidence was real and the government, media and police had actively hampered anyone in her defence from coming forward.

It wasn't until 2012, almost 20 years of this poo poo that a proper coroner and a forth inquiry examed the body and determined that the injuries of the dead baby was likely inflicted by a dingo.

This is not a thing to make light of, especially when the making light of the funny way she talked was what caused one of the most hosed up miscarrages of justice in Australian history.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 11, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Christ. I thought it was a stupid made up thing that just irritated me. Never knew it was a real thing. I would have only been 2 or 3 at the time, so I guess that makes sense. Before this episode I can't recall when I've heard any stupid joke about it, so that's fortunate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Christ. I thought it was a stupid made up thing that just irritated me. Never knew it was a real thing. I would have only been 2 or 3 at the time, so I guess that makes sense. Before this episode I can't recall when I've heard any stupid joke about it, so that's fortunate.

There's a whole Seinfeld thing with it, though I think that's more specifically about Meryl Streep's performance in the movie adaptation of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Does anyone know what all went down on the Tamisha Iman show? I'm seeing tons of youtube breakdown videos, but I don't feel like spending 15 minutes watching a recap.