Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

just go to nyaa.si isps don't care if you torrent anime

I pay for a very fast seedbox, op. Very simple, and secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The sheer number of shows that are just "lame guy/girl wakes up in the video game they play a lot and good poo poo happens to them" is kind of absurd at this point. It doesn't seem like that concept should really be enough to sustain a whole genre

it's like when there was a glut of westerns in american tv in the 50s but it's just all gamer shows instead

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 20:50 on May 5, 2021

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Casey Finnigan posted:

The sheer number of shows that are just "lame guy/girl wakes up in the video game they play a lot and good poo poo happens to them" is kind of absurd at this point. It doesn't seem like that concept should really be enough to sustain a whole genre

it's like when there was a glut of westerns in american tv in the 50s but it's just all gamer shows instead

That's why RE:Zero is so good, its about what would actually happen if you dropped an incel nerd into a fantasy world and it goes about as well as you would expect

Konosuba also but it plays it as goofy as possible with its lovable idiots

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Why do so many anime include the elevator pitch in their title now?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://youtu.be/H1YIgwPsX5Q

This is good anime

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Why do so many anime include the elevator pitch in their title now?

Because they are all adaptations of light novels.

Original anime is pretty much dead.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lostconfused posted:

Because they are all adaptations of light novels.

Original anime is pretty much dead.

Followup question: Why are Light Novels titled that way?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

don't need to read a lovely editor's summary if you just get it from the title, op

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
so i'm a spider so what rules

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That Time I Died And Got Reincarnated As Myself But With A Slighty Smaller Penis

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My New Crazy Life as a Hermit Crab with a GIANT Schlong

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

A NEET from the Big City Is Still Unemployed Here, too

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Because there's so many that just reading every back cover would probably handle your time-killing for the week, similar to how descriptive subtitles were popular in English for the extremely crowded Elizabethan theatre or Victorian novel scenes. Just like no one types out the full "A Christmas Carol. In Prose. Being a Ghost Story of Christmas", full LN titles are left for the title card while people talking about a series clip out a couple distinctive words.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's Saturday Night, I'm Stuck in Another World With No Date, a 2-Liter Bottle of Shasta, and My All-Rush Mixtape. Let's Rock.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

A NEET from the Big City Is Still Unemployed Here, too

This one sounds plausible

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I Have To Work In A Maid Cafe To Pay Off Medical Debt Even Though I Have Obamacare?!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities: What Do They Know? Do They Know Things?? Let's Find Out!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im slightly convinced part of it is just garbage translation making it seem even longer but i don't know enough to say

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I would probably watch all of these except for the one that I came up with.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

im slightly convinced part of it is just garbage translation making it seem even longer but i don't know enough to say
Well it can't be easy to translate a title where a bunch words were crammed into it to make it overly descriptive but dense enough to still fit on a spine/cover.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The fortunes and misfortunes of the famous Moll Flanders, &c. Who was born in Newgate, and during a Life of continu'd Variety for Threescore Years, besides her Childhood, was Twelve Year a Whore, five times a Wife (whereof once to her own Brother) Twelve Year a Thief, Eight Year a Transported Felon in Virginia, at last grew Rich, liv'd Honest, and died a Penitent, Written from her own memorandums.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Nah they're all long and ridiculous even in the original language

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

JAV titles are even better. This twitter account is very funny. https://twitter.com/javdottxt

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

are there good PoliDocs in general besides Princes Of The Yen?

the minidocumentary on the black panther party that was up on netflix was o.k.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Japanese is a bit more succinct in print, and I've participated at times in thinking about how to get a title from the Japanese conversational style to something closer to the formal English one, but yeah, the wordy titles are also a running genre joke even in Japanese to the point where some authors are attempting to stand out by going full multiple paragraphs.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

net work error posted:

JAV titles are even better. This twitter account is very funny. https://twitter.com/javdottxt

This kind if sounds like one

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I mean, he hasn't called anyone a pedophile, respects the value of labor, understands that this is a communal effort and that before he had help from other people he couldn't really progress past subsistence, and while I'm sure he'd love to go to Mars got way more excited about actually useful science like crushing seashells to get that sweet sweet calcim carbonate. Also his solution to the AnPrim guy is to build a gun which kind of rules lmao

It also doesn't treat the primitive stone world people as being dumb or anything, they're skilled/intelligent people who are just lacking the communal knowledge built up by generations of humanity, who are able to quickly adapt to using that knowledge/technology when introduced to them. When now in the manga when they're building more modern things the protagonist is still reliant on skilled manual labor from the stone world artisan to make anything.

It has its issues but is a lot better than any other similar story in the genre.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It’s a story that you really shouldn’t take too seriously. When the world was petrified, the protagonist managed to keep his consciousness going by counting the seconds. For 3700~ years. As a result he was able to know the exact day he managed to break free and even try to time it so he wouldn’t get out in the middle of winter. He also seemingly has memorized how literally everything works or is made. The antagonist kills a lion with a single punch and at one point uproots a large tree with one hand by crushing it until it cracked and then threw it like a spear

They are both teenagers

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 01:23 on May 6, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wish this show had better animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NbSzHHMVPU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dororo is actually about bubble economies though.

Even though the creepy loving weirdos start to give the two child protagonists that regard each other as siblings some romantic feelings

But the horse ripping that guy's head off owned

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

just go to nyaa.si isps don't care if you torrent anime
using nyaa.si also gives you an excellent chance of receiving anime bits from the dedicated NAS of SomethingAwful Forums Superstar, TenementFunster.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Casey Finnigan posted:

There's a lot of Japanese people, particularly young men, with no prospects so all they do is game and watch anime all day. The ideal target audience for escapist media.

I can understand the appeal of "I get reincarnated into WoW and now I'm jacked & get to gently caress pussy" it's when you add the layer of "I must introduce the nightelves to the whopper" that I become confused

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dreddout posted:

There's a lot of Japanese people, particularly young men, with no prospects so all they do is game and watch anime all day. The ideal target audience for escapist media.

I can understand the appeal of "I get reincarnated into WoW and now I'm jacked & get to gently caress pussy" it's when you add the layer of "I must introduce the nightelves to the whopper" that I become confused

It's only really tangential to isekai but I've been playing some of the muv luv games lately and a certain subplot introducing someone who's been living in a world dedicated to war for 50 years with way higher technology to a game boy and ending up with them getting addicted is kinda darkly funny.

Though tbh muv luv is kinda a weirdly pointed tearing down of the normal gamer hero stuff despite as far as i'm aware coming out well before the huge boom of 'person good at video games uses those skills to save the world'.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Dreddout posted:

Well yes, the appeal of escapism in itself makes sense, but that isekai dissolves any pretense of actual narrative is the odd part.

Heck a lot of isekai doesn't even bother giving supporting characters names and is upfront about being incredibly generic.

Dungeon Fantasy + High Concept (usually described within those funky titles we've been discussing).

I'm kind of reminded of the old TVTropes mock threads and the TVT posters who'd at the baseline describe their fiction and OCs using the tropes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Though tbh muv luv is kinda a weirdly pointed tearing down of the normal gamer hero stuff despite as far as i'm aware coming out well before the huge boom of 'person good at video games uses those skills to save the world'.
Except it doesn't and the gamer hero does end up saving the day because they play video games.

edit: Also Isekai isn't a new genre or setting. All of those things have been done before for a very long time. It's just a very specific arrangement of those tropes that is being reproduced today in such quantity that it has become a genre unto it self.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 18:26 on May 6, 2021

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Except it doesn't and the gamer hero does end up saving the day.

In the most literal sense yes but like, it's very directly beaten in that he was running on misconceptions of himself and his skills and that he has to go back several times and literally reinvent the way he does things and his complacency and dependence on that ends up getting him into far more trouble though. And rather than big time stepping up to the plate when he runs into issues he ends up cowarding out.

Reads to me way more of a takedown of the flawless, always in the right, always courageous and virtuous gamer protag who never has to reevaluate his abilities or change his methods.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That seems to me a very standard approach in visual novels. The main protagonist always gets beaten up and fails to create tension until the plot demands that they overcome the challenges facing them, because they are special in some way or another, to move the story forward.

Same poo poo happens in like most popular visual novels.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Lostconfused posted:

That seems to me a very standard approach in visual novels. The main protagonist always gets beaten up and fails to create tension until the plot demands that they overcome the challenges facing them, because they are special in some way or another, to move the story forward.

Same poo poo happens in like most popular visual novels.

That a very standard narrative structure in fiction generally.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Muv Luv does parody and make fun of tropes for its entire run , but it's not a critical tear down of any one specific thing I think.

Edit: It also repeats the time loop trope entirely straight which was either popular at the time or very well on the way to being popular. I'd say the time loop bullshit was one of the most popular plot setups before the Isekai boom happened.

Edit: All You Need is Kill also preceeded Alternative by a few years and it's pretty close to being the same thing. Including the war as a video game and the pandering to the nerds reading it.

Edit: I forget that the split happens before Alternative? So maybe contemporary is a more accurate description for All You Need is Kill.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 19:01 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I do think it's funny how the first game is just a standard high school romance VN and then the second one adds alternate dimensions, mechas, and ~~suffering~~.

That's the kind of escalation I'd like to see in franchises more often tbh