Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Doesn't matter if it's good or bad, just that it sells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I think turning radius is at least worth posting a picture of. Numbers on a page don’t translate well and I’ve seen some vehicles with atrocious turning circles - my wife’s Mazda B2600i being one of them.

Westy543 posted:

GM exec spotted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Westy543 posted:

true!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

One thing that's a real drag about Tesla, for me, is that the nearest service center is a 5 hour drive, and another 5 hours back.

So far they've been really cool about sending out the mobile service unit, so they do everything in my driveway. That's been awesome. But I imagine one day that will stop happening, and then life's going to be pretty awful for me.

E: so I guess it's not a drag currently, it's just a predicted drag.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 5, 2021

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Ola posted:

Yeah maybe. It's been complained about a bit on Tesla forums, but it hasn't been a big discussion thing. The Honda e reviews did a lot of parking lot spins, but I guess the MEB platform kicked it off.

I’ve got nothing against it, just think it’s fun how things take on

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I gave up on full EVs after owning, like, six of them and got a 2021 Prius Prime at a big discount. It literally costs me the same as an EV to drive ~15k miles a year and my wife no longer hates me for making her stop at Walmart EA stations to charge, not crank the heat to 78, changing trip routes for SoC reasons, etc. It's slow and has less cargo space but it's better than my previous Bolt in every way. I did like that little dude though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sounds like you're making bad car purchases in general, then.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Westy543 posted:

Someone shopping for a soul recently mentioned 110% is factory setting for soc on it. He got one with a super hosed up battery, and made kia replace it under warranty. The new one read 110% as well.

Yeah, with the 3rd party app it will show as 110% brand new iirc. The BMS also needs time to calibrate, of course. I'm not sure if the app gets the same data as the factory SOH. The factory calibration requires it to be charged over 90%, and drained to below 10%, at temperatures over 10C/50F. The procedure is available on the NHTSA website.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

LRADIKAL posted:

If you say so!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a question. What is healthier for a battery? I own a Bolt. My daily commute is 10 miles total. I usually charge when I'm at ~20% or so. I know the mantra with EVs is always be charging but should I always keep it plugged even with that short commute? For reference I have it set to max out at 85% unless I plan on long distance travelling

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

What I got from that post is that this technology is still just getting off the ground, and has a way to go still before it's going to be acceptable to 80% of drivers.

Also feeling like Tesla's lead in this space is still pretty huge.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sounds like someone who likes road trips bought SIX EV's, not even ones with access to the best fast charging network. Yeah, if you run a 200 mile range down all the time, then EV's probably aren't for you.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LRADIKAL posted:

Sounds like someone who likes road trips bought SIX EV's, not even ones with access to the best fast charging network. Yeah, if you run a 200 mile range down all the time, then EV's probably aren't for you.

15k a year doesn’t seem like a dude that’s cross crossing the country constantly.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So... What? No home charging? That would make buying an EV a much dicier proposition.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m the idea EV user because I drive about 15km each way to work and aside from other small errands hardly drive at all any distances. My car that I bought new in 2015 still has less than 40k km on it. I would have no range anxiety ever.

If anything I’d probably have to look into if I would need to skip recharging it every night for battery health or whatever.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

LRADIKAL posted:

I bought six EVs and ended up breaking even net, because of Colorado's ridiculous laws around tax rebates for them. I had a Model 3 too - it's an awesome car but the earlier LR AWD model had issues with cold, long trips. My breaking point with that one was being in Taos, NM and being routed to Pagosa Springs, CO - route planner said we could make it, and a third of the way there after constant 'reduce speed to 60, reduce speed to 55, reduce speed to 50' messages even with the heat off we turned around and headed back to Santa Fe. Then there was the time when we took it to Orange County CA and had to wait in a two hour line to charge on a non-holiday weekend. Or the new 40kWh Leaf that had a battery voltage sag when under heavy load in cold temps (SoC would dip 20% in a mile, then climb back up when I let off the accelerator). But shorter trips with L2 charging at home were always nice.

Again, this is not a personal attack on EV drivers. I just found that the frustrations related to them started to add up for me and they weren't saving me any money compared to a very efficient gas car.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

stellers bae posted:

I bought six EVs and ended up breaking even net, because of Colorado's ridiculous laws around tax rebates for them. I had a Model 3 too - it's an awesome car but the earlier LR AWD model had issues with cold, long trips. My breaking point with that one was being in Taos, NM and being routed to Pagosa Springs, CO - route planner said we could make it, and a third of the way there after constant 'reduce speed to 60, reduce speed to 55, reduce speed to 50' messages even with the heat off we turned around and headed back to Santa Fe. Then there was the time when we took it to Orange County CA and had to wait in a two hour line to charge on a non-holiday weekend. Or the new 40kWh Leaf that had a battery voltage sag when under heavy load in cold temps (SoC would dip 20% in a mile, then climb back up when I let off the accelerator). But shorter trips with L2 charging at home were always nice.

Again, this is not a personal attack on EV drivers. I just found that the frustrations related to them started to add up for me and they weren't saving me any money compared to a very efficient gas car.

Yeah, I get this. I live near Taos, and driving to Denver requires more planning now than it did in the Subaru, due to charging. We can do it, but we have to remember that I25 has crazy headwinds sometimes when you're driving north, and the trip planner doesn't factor this into its "safe to continue your trip" calculation.

EV technology seems mature compared to what it was like in 2001, but when you hold that up against something that's been around since 1886, it's clear that we're still dealing with a technology that has a lot of improvements yet to come.

In this poster's case, the main improvement would be more friggin' charging stations. Taos has diddly squat (I've checked) unless you fancy a 6-hour charging session. There are, by contrast, plenty of gas stations in Taos.

And to that same point, one of the main reasons we got a Tesla to replace our Tesla instead of literally anything else is because we couldn't see how we would be able to take road trips with something that needed CCS chargers. They just aren't out here yet. Tesla has a big advantage there, and even with that advantage, stellers bae couldn't get to Pagosa Springs because Tesla's "best charging network on the planet" still has huge gaps in it.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 5, 2021

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

stellers bae posted:

Thanks for posting these. It's good to hear examples where things should have worked, but didn't, and through no fault of the driver. Regarding the Taos -> Pagosa Springs issue, what do you think the problem was? Combo of temp and wind? I haven't thought about severe headwind as an issue much...

That area does look like a huge gap, and it looks like Tesla doesn't have any plans for new superchargers in that area, except outside Telluride, which isn't all that close still.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

There's this area in between Needles and San Bernardino where gas is never under $7 a gallon. I've bought gas there before because I failed to take into account that ubiquitous gas stations are not a given, and I didn't fuel up when I should have. I was happy to pay far out the rear end in order to avoid being stranded in the middle of death valley.

When there are people happy to pay $7 per kWh to charge up in the middle of nowhere because they made a bad decision earlier, I think we can finally claim charging infrastructure is on par with gasoline. Right now you can't even go to Pagosa Springs with Taos as your home base.

We have a way to go, but I suspect charging stations are being built out way faster than gas stations were.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 5, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cruft posted:

When there are people happy to pay $7 per kWh to charge up in the middle of nowhere because they made a bad decision earlier, I think we can finally claim charging infrastructure is on par with gasoline. Right now you can't even go to Pagosa Springs with Taos as your home base.

Judging by loud internet posters this will never be the case because they want to pay less $/mi than gas at fast chargers and don't like that fast chargers charge more than residential power rates. The "being happy" part that is.

$7/kwh would be pretty nutty though, that's like $70/gal equivalent for cost/range. Probably better off getting a tow truck at that point

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
This is the most expensive charger I've ever personally encountered:

At peak that's like twice what it costs to run a 4Runner, assuming you're driving a Bolt, lol

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

stellers bae posted:

At peak that's like twice what it costs to run a 4Runner, assuming you're driving a Bolt, lol

Oh man, there's one near us that's $7 per session.

My kid had trouble getting the incredibly beat up CHAdeMO connector plugged in correctly, and it billed her $21 for 5 kWh. So it turns out it's $7 per connection attempt.

We don't use that charger any more.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

stellers bae posted:

I did some quick math and if you have an EV that gets 4 mi/kwh and compare it to an ICE that gets 22 mi/gallon, using that charger at peak would be like spending $7.3095/gallon on gas. If there are literally any other chargers in that area why would anyone in their right minds choose that one?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Bone Crimes posted:

That area does look like a huge gap, and it looks like Tesla doesn't have any plans for new superchargers in that area, except outside Telluride, which isn't all that close still.

The area north of Espanola to Chama is Carson National Forest. There will probably never be any superchargers put in there, it's desolate as poo poo. Pretty though. Chama is a pretty small town, but it's an important intersection in the area, so I can see them putting one in there, maybe. North of that there's not much to Pagosa.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

The area north of Espanola to Chama is Carson National Forest. There will probably never be any superchargers put in there, it's desolate as poo poo. Pretty though. Chama is a pretty small town, but it's an important intersection in the area, so I can see them putting one in there, maybe. North of that there's not much to Pagosa.

I would have thought little towns wouldn't install chargers any time soon, but there's a 350kW CCS charger in friggin' Wagon Mound so apparently I just don't understand the economics here. https://goo.gl/maps/geDtHukL7pbjwkCf7. Granted that's on I-25, but it's friggin' Wagon Mound, population 268.

There are dozens of gas stations between Española and Pagosa Springs. If just one of them put in a ChargePoint station it'd be a game changer. Hell, if they put one in Taos I'd probably pony up for a CCS to Tesla adapter just to not have to plan charging for my trips any more.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 6, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 6, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Skykomish, WA the record for me for smallest town with DCFC, part of some consortium of small towns that put together a charging network, thankfully you can pay through Chargepoint, the only other way to pay for it is calling a 1-800 number, lol.

It's invaluable for getting my Leaf up Steven's pass though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Rivian is specifically targeting more remote areas for their DCFC network! :eng101: The decision from RJ to do this was because Rivian is advertising their trucks and SUVs as adventure vehicles, so we want people to be comfortable going to more remote locations!

That's awesome, because in my experience that's the biggest gap right now. It also sounds like a huge challenge because there are so many more remote sites. I was relieved to find out Rivian is using plain old CCS, contrary to dumb rumors I'd heard earlier about a new proprietary connector.

I hope one day Tesla's charging network can be used by non-Teslas, but when I look at how quickly CCS chargers are getting built out now I can't help but feel like it's increasingly irrelevant.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There are literally no CCS chargers in all of South Dakota, Alaska, and one in Montana (if Plugshare is right). EA is building across I90 in SD though. I'm not counting Tesla or Rivian. It's fun to explore with Plugshare if you're bored. 🙃
Also I found there are a few 100kw Chademo chargers near me, I wonder if my car can actually go faster than 50kw.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Only one CCS plug in West Virginia as well, it's 25kw and at a Harley dealer. Perfect.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

sanchez posted:

Only one CCS plug in West Virginia as well, it's 25kw and at a Harley dealer. Perfect.

What the hell?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

WV is actually pretty great as charging goes. All the Superchargers I’ve stopped at have been at Sheetz and only once have I seen an ICE car in a spot. Also Sheetz is better than WaWa.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

cruft posted:

What the hell?

The Livewire. A project that could have helped bring Harley into the future, but then they switched CEOs and now they mostly sell leather vests again.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Someone at my apartment has an ID4 in their possession. Not a bad looking little EV

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

WV is actually pretty great as charging goes. All the Superchargers I’ve stopped at have been at Sheetz and only once have I seen an ICE car in a spot. Also Sheetz is better than WaWa.

Yes Tesla has decent coverage there. I like driving in WV a lot, cool scenery and minimal traffic. It's the only place I've noticed my Model 3 popping/banging due to battery temp changes while driving, guessing because of high power consumption when climbing the hills followed by high regen going back down.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Sup

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

sanchez posted:

Ah I missed the empty spot in WV when I zoomed out all the way. Overall the most desolate areas are the Dakotas and Wyoming and Montana. I have Plugshare set to minimum 50kw though -- didn't really think they made DC chargers less than 50, hah.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I have to wonder if they're setting the price to INSANELY HIGH in order to charge cars on their lot while still claiming to have a public charger.

It's a J1772 for crying out loud.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's at a dealer. I'm guessing the intent is to charge dealer customer's cars or the dealer's cars on the lot. Having the public come in and use it is not really the intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

cruft posted:

I have to wonder if they're setting the price to INSANELY HIGH in order to charge cars on their lot while still claiming to have a public charger.

It's a J1772 for crying out loud.

Yeah it's this, basically. A couple people left their cars there over night a few times and that was the end of it. They're labeled as for customer use and prominently in the closest spots in the front of the dealership.

I left mine there a few hours once when it was free a couple years ago, and was like "dang, might buy an ID.4 here because of this" but nah, gently caress that noise.