Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

temple posted:

never knew what to think about cole. he's like if old kanye was less talented but stayed the same.

that is probably the biggest compliment i've ever seen anyone give him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cole is a good rapper who suffers from a couple of things

He needs to stop making his own beats. He's a good producer but his own beats don't bring out the best in him.

He is loving great in features which is where he saves his best rapping for.

He has Big Sean and Kanye syndrome where he can be making a good song but just adds in a stretch or bar that is just so completely bad it ruins the song.

Whenever Cole raps with some energy or bravado I tend to like it but he only ever does that on features.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dexo posted:

He needs to stop making his own beats. He's a good producer but his own beats don't bring out the best in him.

He has Big Sean and Kanye syndrome where he can be making a good song but just adds in a stretch or bar that is just so completely bad it ruins the song.

Whenever Cole raps with some energy or bravado I tend to like it but he only ever does that on features.

your post tickled something in my brain and i thought i remembered something i liked from cole. turns out i was trying to remember a big sean feature that i loved and i finally got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfqnmJZeLgQ

propyleneglycol
Jan 11, 2019

Dexo posted:

My first thought when I heard J Cole was releasing an album was hoping that he wasn’t going to produce it. I think this album has potential to be good but only if he learned from his past missteps (like saying Noname should be nicer because men don’t read and making an Eminem like album about young people being wrong)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah him and Big Sean need to stop the corny bars here and there or have somebody step up and tell him a bar is corny.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The gently caress, anybody notice a new version of Where Would I Go by Benny on their streaming platform? I'm listening to all of Burden of Proof rn and they definitely subbed in a different version, lower levels and a longer intro

Not as good as the previous version imo - I'm listening on YT Music

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiADuDjueJc

Cole had a stretch in 2017-2019 where he'd do collabs and features that he was rapping his rear end off in a way he hasn't since like his mixtape days.

And then he released KOD lol

Which like every Cole album had some decent stuff and parts on it, but dear god whenever he goes into his worst self(lol "Kevin's Heart") it's just the loving worst.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 5, 2021

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
cole is a great a&r and a rapper i absolutely have no interest in listening to outside of features

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

cole is a great a&r and a rapper i absolutely have no interest in listening to outside of features

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

RBX posted:

Yeah him and Big Sean need to stop the corny bars here and there or have somebody step up and tell him a bar is corny.

I don't really like Big Sean but to be honest, saying corny poo poo is the only interesting thing about him to me.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

j cole gets a forever pass for power trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uETzB7pcww

pretty sure that's his only song i actually know tho lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thanks to a youtube recommendation i ended up listening to that aesop rock / tobacco colab 'malibu ken' again. loving hell it's interesting, and i mean that in the best way. every single second something fascinating is going on and at a tight 30 minutes it's really digestible.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh poo poo, new Czarface+DOOM

Marching Powder posted:

thanks to a youtube recommendation i ended up listening to that aesop rock / tobacco colab 'malibu ken' again. loving hell it's interesting, and i mean that in the best way. every single second something fascinating is going on and at a tight 30 minutes it's really digestible.

Not all of Aesop Rock's new stuff is grabbing me the way his older stuff does, but I'm always amazed at how interesting his work stays. Like consistently, there are always a few just oddball stories in every album.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 5, 2021

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Not all of Aesop Rock's new stuff is grabbing me the way his older stuff does, but I'm always amazed at how interesting his work stays. Like consistently, there are always a few just oddball stories in every album.

this is interesting. i find his old stuff fascinating but way too abstract and inscrutable. he toned that poo poo down for the impossible kid and malibu ken and i find it infinitely more accessible without any noticeable dip in complexity. then on his last album he dialled the abstract back up to absurd and as such i enjoy it as a spectacle as opposed to something i can engage with.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://twitter.com/mannfacts/status/1389760733907410950?s=21

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

im not gonna lie as a huge doom guy and even huger wutang guy i didnt love the last czarface/doom album. it was kinda just ok. every hero needs a villain was sick tho

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

j cole gets a forever pass for power trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uETzB7pcww

pretty sure that's his only song i actually know tho lol

lots of stuff sounds good when slowed down/screwed up tho lol

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Crumbletron posted:

lots of stuff sounds good when slowed down/screwed up tho lol

lol it's a sick song at normal speed, just sicker screwed

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
JPEGMAFIA has kind of a lifetime pass from me for now (I can't eliminate the possibility of rescinding it, but when can you), and I'm on the hunt for rap like his earlier stuff (Veteran, Black Ben Carson): overtly political, confrontational, more about destroying things in your path than lamenting what's been done to a person or people. I'm not versed enough in conscious rap (a loaded term, I know) to judge it accurately, but most of what I hear ends up being lists of injustices to a beat, and I play that through my head enough without having it be in my music. Is anyone working these days who has Peggy's acerbity but also his humor? The other qualities of the music can be anywhere on the board. Fast, slow, loud, quiet. I just need more music to hate police to.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Marching Powder posted:

this is interesting. i find his old stuff fascinating but way too abstract and inscrutable. he toned that poo poo down for the impossible kid and malibu ken and i find it infinitely more accessible without any noticeable dip in complexity. then on his last album he dialled the abstract back up to absurd and as such i enjoy it as a spectacle as opposed to something i can engage with.

Yeah, I don’t disagree at all. I think what I like about None Shall Pass, Float, Fast Cars, and Bazooka Tooth is how much work they take to kind of understand. Most of it seems pretty pretentious to me but I get a kick out of how hard to parse he made it, and I also really like the stuff that Blockhead produced. Those albums also have a lot of place in time memory for me, I listened to them exclusively when I was wrapping up grad school and having a challenging but good time in life.
Skelethon and Impossible Kid are way more accessible lyrically, and the music is kind of unusual, so they’re more engaging to me as well. Same for the Hail Mary Mallon albums. I saw him on the Impossible Kid tour and Rob Sonic showed up and they did some HMM stuff and it was great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alvarez IV posted:

JPEGMAFIA has kind of a lifetime pass from me for now (I can't eliminate the possibility of rescinding it, but when can you), and I'm on the hunt for rap like his earlier stuff (Veteran, Black Ben Carson): overtly political, confrontational, more about destroying things in your path than lamenting what's been done to a person or people. I'm not versed enough in conscious rap (a loaded term, I know) to judge it accurately, but most of what I hear ends up being lists of injustices to a beat, and I play that through my head enough without having it be in my music. Is anyone working these days who has Peggy's acerbity but also his humor? The other qualities of the music can be anywhere on the board. Fast, slow, loud, quiet. I just need more music to hate police to.

Billy Woods/Armand Hammer

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

and I also really like the stuff that Blockhead produced.

hell yeah. i consider aesop and blockhead one of the premier rapper / producer superteams. extremely good poo poo. and yeah none shall pass / bazooka tooth / daylight are classic regardless of the layers you need to unpack to have any idea what he's talking about but it's definitely the production and the sick rear end rhyme schemes that serve as the hook rather than the content. but aesop is such a vivid storyteller that i feel disappointed when eschews clarity, like blood sandwich and acid king are such well told stories that still contain layers and complexities i actually want to unearth because the broad strokes are so enjoyable.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

40 lbs to freedom posted:

im not gonna lie as a huge doom guy and even huger wutang guy i didnt love the last czarface/doom album. it was kinda just ok. every hero needs a villain was sick tho

There are definitely better DOOM albums and better Czarface albums, and I'll be honest and say I like Czarface Meets Metalface the same way I like any given episode of Futurama. It's goofy and familiar, regardless of quality. Goes down easy.

Marching Powder posted:

hell yeah. i consider aesop and blockhead one of the premier rapper / producer superteams. extremely good poo poo. and yeah none shall pass / bazooka tooth / daylight are classic regardless of the layers you need to unpack to have any idea what he's talking about but it's definitely the production and the sick rear end rhyme schemes that serve as the hook rather than the content. but aesop is such a vivid storyteller that i feel disappointed when eschews clarity, like blood sandwich and acid king are such well told stories that still contain layers and complexities i actually want to unearth because the broad strokes are so enjoyable.

I think some really good recent examples of this are Kirby, Lotta Years, and Rings. And Blood Sandwich, that one gets a "wtf??" out of everyone I play it for. Actually the whole Impossible Kid album is about as plain spoken as his stuff gets. Kirby is my favorite, because it's kind of hilarious that someone can take such a universal thing like "I got a kitten because I was really depressed and he's great and I love him," and make it into three minutes of really clever rhymes. And whatever the gently caress Long Legged Larry is, I love it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Someone here needs to make a mash-up of the corniest lines that Cole and Sean have done. Like a Versuz battle, but with lame lyrics.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Actually the whole Impossible Kid album is about as plain spoken as his stuff gets.

yeah that's all that needs to be said. and it's great.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Someone here needs to make a mash-up of the corniest lines that Cole and Sean have done. Like a Versuz battle, but with lame lyrics.

lol that'd do numbers on youtube or tiktok or whatever the gently caress people use

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Alvarez IV posted:

Sage Francis's "A Healthy Distrust" (not new, but still). Also check out Makeshift Patriot, which gets bonus points for iirc being released either in September or October of 2001.

For newer dudes, as was mentioned billy woods/Armand hammer both have kinda that vibe, although the music way less aggressive and far more subtle than JPEGMAFIA. Kendrick Lamar's kinda an obvious one but his stuff is definitely more rooted in race issues than overall political outlook. Also while I love him and think he may very well be the best rapper ever, it's a bit too typically serious to have much humor in his work.

Marching Powder posted:

Honestly Bazooka Tooth is only meh to me, I think Blockhead didn't handle a decent amount of the production on it (none shall pass I'd say is his best album tho). And I think one of the things him moving to being less abstracted has done is really emphasized how good a storytellher he is. He's always been that way, but it comes out a bit easier now (really only dude I'd put on his level consistently is Ghostface).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Already done fam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Cole_discography + https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sean_discography

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hahaha

alansmithee posted:

And I think one of the things him moving to being less abstracted has done is really emphasized how good a storytellher he is. He's always been that way, but it comes out a bit easier now (really only dude I'd put on his level consistently is Ghostface).

for real. listening to him talk about a livestream of a pair of eagles eating someone's cat 'like a loving churro' shouldn't be interesting. long legged larry should not be interesting. but the journey always kicks rear end.

e: also thanks for reminding me of 'a healthy distrust'. i find sage francis embarrassingly open about everything but i always hosed with that album for reasons that i can't articulate. might give it another listen.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 6, 2021

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Alvarez IV posted:

thinking about this and after you've checked out all the better suggestions maybe check out 'hell's winter' by cage. it was made in the aftermath of 9/11 and in amongst all cage's personal insanity it's aggressively anti-authoritarian. especially grand ol party crash. that loving song.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sorry for the barrage of posts but i'm at a loving airport with gently caress all to do except listen to music and post bullshit.

a retrospective on 'a healthy distrust' by sage francis

i was curious as to why i used to gently caress with this album when my overall opinion of sage francis is that he's a gratingly insecure, talented weirdo. turns out a big part of that is because of a 95% excellent effort on the production and the album flow. i don't know how they made the second beat feel perfectly natural next to the first track but whoever compiled the tracklist knew what they were doing.

francis himself IS a gratingly insecure, talented weirdo but luckily on this album his dork poo poo is concealed by several layers of irony making it way easier to forgive the poo poo lines as they come off more as legitimate jokes, but they probably aren't :-( . there is some genuinely funny similes, wordplay, and imagery to be found with 'just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank' catching me off guard early. there is also some genuinely good lines delivered with sincerity, 'the rich get richer till the poor get educated' stuck with me. finally, the delivery of the bars on this album are genuinely fascinating. i haven't really heard anything quite like it. the entire album is delivered in a way that shouldn't work yet does. cool.

anyway, i hosed with the album near 20 years ago and i was right to do so. it's good. if you listen to one weird dork this month i'd recommend this over whatever jcole shits out absolutely.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

So as a dude who listens to a ton of Sage Francis to this day, I don't think he's insecure at all. I'd say the opposite-he's entirely sure of who he is and has no problems sharing that (or oversharing, as the case may be). He's undoubtedly talented, and also undoubtedly "weird" (at least in a rap context). Like his mixtapes were basically all a bunch of highly emotionally charged personal stuff that is painfully sincere, political screeds, and typical 2000's underground rapper braggadocio stuff so you get a mixed bag for sure. But his albums basically eschew the braggadocio stuff entirely outside of the odd line or snippet here and there (outside of the one he did as Non Prophets which basically is entirely the braggadocio stuff and stands up with the best of it). Cause dude's writing is unquestionably good. It's just his style is obviously not for everyone. It's basically if Lupe was a corny white dude from the suburbs instead of a black dude from inner city Chicago.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

alansmithee posted:

So as a dude who listens to a ton of Sage Francis to this day, I don't think he's insecure at all. I'd say the opposite-he's entirely sure of who he is and has no problems sharing that (or oversharing, as the case may be).

i've been going back and forth on this for a while. you're right, in order to overshare you need to have a certain level of confidence in those thoughts and feelings. but ultimately i think i'll stick with the description of insecure because there's tinges of desperation in his dorkier moments that i just can't not hear. i feel almost hypocritical laughing at jcole and big sean but what separates them from sage francis is the delivery and the general tightness of the verse. francis is going somewhere with that embarrassing poo poo and it never overstays its welcome or completely ruins a performance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Both those posts sound like they're about Joe Budden.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

RBX posted:

Both those posts sound like they're about Joe Budden.

i resent this characterisation. i'd probably have just described joe budden as 'dog wanker', and would never have alleged that he was particularly good at rapping. wish takeoff slapped him around a bit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/TechnoTrickster/status/1390284515407368198

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/xdannyxbrownx/status/1390048800492883975?s=20

Danny's arc is one of my favorite. I'm so glad he didn't end up falling off or getting too hosed up on drugs or anything.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'm pretty sure Danny did get too hosed up on drugs. Only in his case it resulted in his most important album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Marching Powder posted:

I'm pretty sure Danny did get too hosed up on drugs. Only in his case it resulted in his most important album.

Haha, very good point. I forget that Atrocity Exhibition is "Getting off opiates, the album"