Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the best pokemon isn't in snap, unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Dunsparce?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

cheetah7071 posted:

I understand the impracticality of making bespoke animations for all nearly a thousand of the buggers but Snap really does make me love so many pokemon which I'm extremely lukewarm on in the main series, just by the animations alone

I didn't realize I liked Wurmple so much until New Pokemon Snap, but drat he's just so cute

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arzaac posted:

I didn't realize I liked Wurmple so much until New Pokemon Snap, but drat he's just so cute

Wurmple's the perfect example of this phenomenon. It was just another generic dime a dozen first stage bug Pokemon to me, and then I spent the better part of a morning figuring out how to get this shot:

https://twitter.com/regy_rusty/status/1389222362642489345

Their triumph was my triumph and now I love them.

Similar thing happened with Spheal tonight:

https://twitter.com/regy_rusty/status/1390072364860252162

God it's cute

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fought some more stormtroopers in ToME from the star wars event they're doing.

R2D2 gonna help me tear poo poo up

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wamdoodle posted:

I watched Sphere Hunter's review and she usually goes in depth but because of the embargo she had to be vague enough that it was annoying.

I like her stuff on older games but the new stuff definitely feels pointless lol, like DMC5 being 20 minutes of "You'll have to take my word for it, it's cool!"

cheetah7071 posted:

I keep thinking of trying sword and shield and then remembering none of the ones I really liked are in it except for like... Gardevoir and Golisopod, the latter of which isn't even one I grew up with. Nintendo!!! :argh:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 6, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

In all fairness to Resident Evil, when has the main character's story ever been important yes yes I know nerds RE4 is the exception that proves the rule.

related topic: this is a powerful chart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDixExP1gE&t=457s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Electric Phantasm posted:

What does that even leave at that point? Just graphics?

Gameplay, but honestly we all know its going to play like RE7 so the story is pretty important.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I'm sympathetic to people who are extremely spoiler-sensitive, but I do wonder if this sort of insistence that even relatively minor reveals are "spoilers" is making it impossible to write decent criticism, even if you're trying to be positive. You have to be so vague that you can't really say anything at all. It's not even just publisher review embargo restrictions, though that's certainly a big part of it (I'm sure stifling criticism is the whole point), but also the way people react if you "spoil" something in a review.

I guess it's easy for me to say because I'm not particularly sensitive to spoilers.

That said I think the spoilers issue and review copy embargoes are totally unrelated, the corps don't care about spoilers much since it won't really have a huge impact in sales.

I think for reviews / critiques pretty much everybody has settled on the format of "initial review - SPOILER WARNING GO NO FURTHER - full review" which allows people to just pick whatever they want and then they can only blame themselves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm at Taka Pass in Okami, which is the farthest I've ever gotten in my PS4 copy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm at Taka Pass in Okami, which is the farthest I've ever gotten in my PS4 copy.

Dang only 60 more fake endings left!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Waffleman_ posted:

You’re soon out of the turorial area then

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Y'all I am well aware of how long Okami is I've beaten it like four or five times on PS2

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

why tf did we never get okami on the vita, it came to every single other platform

also we're getting a soul scarifice remaster for console sometime right...

.......right??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Y'all I am well aware of how long Okami is I've beaten it like four or five times on PS2

Congrats on your upcoming hundredth birthday

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm surprised they didn't just wait a while and hope something distracted people from their crummy change. I'm not gonna applaud doing a poo poo thing and reversing course, but I'm surprised.

I'm reminded of this Simpsons gag:
https://youtu.be/q8AULZ2le28

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pokemon Snap is the best game ever made

https://twitter.com/regy_rusty/status/1390144150880755719

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So some Pokémon definitely eat other Pokémon

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Humans eat Pokemon too, it's canon already.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/NotBrunoAgain/status/1148393876706725888

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Jolo posted:

I'm surprised they didn't just wait a while and hope something distracted people from their crummy change. I'm not gonna applaud doing a poo poo thing and reversing course, but I'm surprised.

I'm reminded of this Simpsons gag:
https://youtu.be/q8AULZ2le28

I'm not restarting my sub, but they also haven't said anything about the cap to charity they put in that was also bad right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mutata posted:

Humans eat Pokemon too, it's canon already.

They also married pokemon. We went over this, humans in pokemon games are also pokemon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So some Pokémon definitely eat other Pokémon

Yep. The ice level has Mightyenas hunting Furrets and the water levels have Mareanie chasing down anything smaller than them.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

the water levels have Mareanie chasing down anything smaller than them.

but the professor said it was just a friendly game of tag :(

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I'm not restarting my sub, but they also haven't said anything about the cap to charity they put in that was also bad right?

The tone of that statement is very "oh we went too far but we'll be changing it again in some way in the future."

This quoted text isn't all that clear:

quote:

Today, we’ll be turning sliders back on for all customers on our bundle pages while we take more time to review feedback and consider sliders and the importance of customization for purchases on bundle pages in the long term.

In the coming weeks, we’ll roll out the updated design which will include sliders that work exactly as they did previously. 

So today sliders are back on but that final sentence makes it sound like they're not working how they did before for weeks. :shrug:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also i know i've completed some of these requests in pokemon snap but they are not marked down as complete and i dunno why :(

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I think on the GB Quick Look they said that if you got a pic that fulfills a request before you actually got the request it won't count and you'll have to take a new pic to get credit. Not sure if that helps or not.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

like i got the perfect shot of pigeot grabbing the magikarp but it didn't loving count!! i've had that request for a while too

but i did figure out you can use the Dpad buttons to turn the camera around faster and man i wish i had known that sooner

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Since Pokemon are named after the sound they make there must be furious arguments over whether dogs are called Woof or Barks etc. Also sometimes they only say part of their name so I bet some scientist looks like a loving idiot after he named the Pikapi and someone hears it say Chu.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im soooo glad the pokemon in new snap all make nice animal noises instead of their anime voices. except for pikachu but w/e. they all sound great

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

fadam posted:

Has anyone played or heard anything about this Hood game? It looks cool but there’s no buzz surrounding it.

I thought it looked cool too until I realised it was exclusively an online multiplayer thing and lost interest entirely

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kerrzhe posted:

also i know i've completed some of these requests in pokemon snap but they are not marked down as complete and i dunno why :(

some of them are very dumb and want like, specific frames of the animation or something

it's a crazy good game but there's a handful of weird buggy things that I hope an upcoming patch sorts out (though they haven't said anything like that)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I looooved Okami on PS2 and I bought the switch version and was like - this is a lot less magical than I expected

Also I have been playing nothing but Monster Hunter since that came out and Gamepass got octopath and Dragon quest builders which I wanna try

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I really wanted to look like Octopath, and for a little while I did, but when I got the 3rd party member the bosses got such a ridiculous health boost, the fights are taking forever and it really destroys the pace of the game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sony and Valve are both facing possible class actions over digital store exclusivity.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/05/06/sony-class-action-lawsuit-revealed-over-playstation-store-exclusivity

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/05/06/valve-is-being-sued-over-steam-monopoly-accusations?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

like i got the perfect shot of pigeot grabbing the magikarp but it didn't loving count!! i've had that request for a while too

but i did figure out you can use the Dpad buttons to turn the camera around faster and man i wish i had known that sooner

Yeah the requests can be a bit finicky. For instance, in this example the reason it didn't count is you've got Pidgeot as the subject of the photo rather than Magikarp. The 4 star Magikarp photo of it being carried is what you want. Fortunately it's much easier to get a crappy photo of that (you can get it as it more slowly flies away) than the sick action shot you already have.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Please tell me you unlock bullet time except for snapping photos because otherwise that sounds like a whole thing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why do they stick “NEW POKÉMON SNAP” on pictures that you share. Oh word, this pic of a pidgey feeding on magikarp isn’t from final fantasy XIV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hello chat thread, it's been a while. I hope you're all doing well.

I'm still trundling through Dragon Quest XI and it's been wonderful, I think I'm coming towards the end of it now.

That said I got to the reveal that [massive spoilers for your return to Arboria in the second half of the game] Veronica died to save you all and as the cutscenes were going I kept waiting for the game to be like "haha, psych, just kidding" and uh, they weren't. The cutscene with Serena finally letting herself fall apart and grieve in the evening post-funeral after inheriting Veronica's magic was heartbreaking and hit real close to home.

This game is really, really wonderful. I think my party member ranking so far is Sylvando > Rab > Jade > Veronica > Party Member Who Joins In The Back Half > Serena > Erik imho.
And even ranking them like that it's not that I think that Erik is even bad, really - like his interactions with Veronica in particular are fun, I think he just suffers from not really getting much development until very late in the game and a lot of the brotherly like friendship that he and the Hero apparently share is commented on a ton by other characters but doesn't feel like it was actually shown.

I also got to play a little New Pokemon Snap and adding my voice to the other comments here, it's great!