Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's like someone decided that what a terminator suit needed was to present a much larger target that could also be effectively disabled by a single marksman with a standard rifle.

I assume it will have a shield of some sort in the rules, but even so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It kind of makes sense if the concept for operating the suit is that the arms mimic the pilot's 1:1, since this gives them free range of motion. Kind of defeats the point of an armored battle robut though, and there's the whole "looks insanely goofy" issue.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Moon Monster posted:

It kind of makes sense if the concept for operating the suit is that the arms mimic the pilot's 1:1, since this gives them free range of motion. Kind of defeats the point of an armored battle robut though, and there's the whole "looks insanely goofy" issue.

But you see, it was really cool in Aliens when Ripley fought the Queen

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The Moon Monster posted:

This is a group that has access to technology where the user can just think and the robot arms would move. Having their arms operating joysticks is just bad design, and would definitely make them more prone to failure on the battlefield

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Iron Crowned posted:

But you see, it was really cool in Aliens when Ripley fought the Queen

It was, but then we all were also well aware that the power loader was just a walking forklift that she grabbed in the hangar as a last resort. They didn't fly it down to the planet and intentionally put it into combat.

There are ways to make the exosuit look cool and vaguely plausible for your sci-fi setting. GW don't. The pilot always looks bizzarely and jarringly exposed. And awkwardly dangling.

In other news, and a bit off topic, this was in my emails today and I needed to share it somewhere. I wonder if any member of the Orville cast is happy with their likeness here.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fashionable Jorts posted:

This is a group that has access to technology where the user can just think and the robot arms would move. Having their arms operating joysticks is just bad design, and would definitely make them more prone to failure on the battlefield

If you want to quibble over availability of technology in the setting, isn't it being often inconsistent and anachronistic a big part of 40k?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The only exosuit style thing that GW has done kind of right is the Penitent Engine. The whole point is that the "pilot" is exposed to any and all damage.

But yeah, it's not like a tank driver has their head and arms sticking out to an exposed steering wheel.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The Moon Monster posted:

If you want to quibble over availability of technology in the setting, isn't it being often inconsistent and anachronistic a big part of 40k?

That's fair. It's just a little goofy to see soldiers with mind-controlled battle suits being deployed next to soldiers with joystick-controlled battle suits.

Other than the dorky baby arms, I like the design.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I mean, the Sisters walker pilot is wearing Powered Armor, and the Grey Knights walker pilot is wearing Tactical Dreadnaught Armor. They aren't exactly exposed to the air.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Two Beans posted:

I mean, the Sisters walker pilot is wearing Powered Armor, and the Grey Knights walker pilot is wearing Tactical Dreadnaught Armor. They aren't exactly exposed to the air.

But but
:goonsay:

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
guys 40k looks really dumb, and is

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Floppychop posted:

The only exosuit style thing that GW has done kind of right is the Penitent Engine. The whole point is that the "pilot" is exposed to any and all damage.

But yeah, it's not like a tank driver has their head and arms sticking out to an exposed steering wheel.

I drive my car sitting on my hood using an elaborate system of levers and pulleys

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Communist Walrus posted:

I drive my car sitting on my hood using an elaborate system of levers and pulleys

That's certainly one way to ride int Valhalla shiny and chrome

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Communist Walrus posted:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Two Beans posted:

why can we see their face then?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Moola posted:

why can we see their face then?

:colbert:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm the Ritas

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Soros Ritas

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Isn't that the lyrics to Sephiroth's theme?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moola posted:

Isn't that the lyrics to Sephiroth's theme?

Yeah.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Check out those nipples.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Ork nipples implies ork milk...

:vomarine:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Bucnasti posted:

Where did you think Shamrock Shakes came from?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bucnasti posted:

:nws:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Big Orky Milkaz

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TotalHell posted:

Big Orky Milkaz

Big Tiddy Goff Gf

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hooman posted:

Big Tiddy Goff Gf

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

hooman posted:

Big Tiddy Goff Gf

holy poo poo lol

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

hooman posted:

Big Tiddy Goff Gf

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

hooman posted:

Big Tiddy Goff Gf

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
New thread title?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

hooman posted:

Big Tiddy Goff Gf

:hmmorks:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

New thread title?

I agree

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

New thread title?

please.

The current one is a Halloween joke from like 2018

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Derp post plz ignore

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Two Beans posted:

Where did you think Shamrock Shakes came from?

Oh no.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i would pay somewhere in the region of infinity dollars for an stl of this

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

i would pay somewhere in the region of infinity dollars for an stl of this

Crooked Dice makes British TV minis once in a while, so cross your fingers

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Now dis is pod racin'