Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Chapo guys had a stupid take about something? Shocking.

I just listened to the episode and they never call him a millennial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

I just listened to the episode and they never call him a millennial.

Somebody had a stupid take on a Chapo guy based on something someone else said? Crazy

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Either way I still don't like the episode much because it just isn't very funny. Grimey being aghast at how much Homer sucks doesn't give me enough audience-insert goodvibes to offset that he's just kind of a petulant nerd and I would promote Homer over him just because I like him more, but the bigger issue is that there aren't that many good gags to be had in the episode. "Above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley" is about the best it does

"Blown up in a silo explosion" makes me laugh every time when they just show him running into the silo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtr02bwgnqA&t=27s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Eh, Grimes had a huge chip on his shoulder and was out for a fight. Burns is the obvious source of all the plant's problems through complete negligence. He continues to employ Homer, he ignores all the plant's issues, he has a dog for a VP... But Grimes never considers blowing the whistle on Burns because it would threaten his position that he earned (in a corrupt and broken company). No matter who you replace Homer with, the plant would still be dangerous because of Burns' negligence and penny-pinching.

So instead Grimes just goes out of his way to impotently bully a coworker and loses his poo poo when the rest of the team doesn't join in. gently caress Grimes, the crab bucket bitch.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

donquixotic posted:

Incidentally I always thought rather than Mapple (what even is that) call it Pineapple Computers where the logo is a whole pineapple with a bite taken out of it

Or Lemon, which still retains the gag of having a bite taken out of it and takes a dig at the product's quality.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mapple’s slogan is Think Differently, which is of course a clever reference to the slogan Apple had stopped using 6 years prior to Mapple’s first appearance on the show

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The episode that marked the show's downfall wasn't Grimes or Up Yours, Children! It was the loving magical jockey episode. Completely unfunny and universe breaking and the first episode I watched that I just remember thinking man that sucked! What season was that?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

The episode that marked the show's downfall wasn't Grimes or Up Yours, Children! It was the loving magical jockey episode. Completely unfunny and universe breaking and the first episode I watched that I just remember thinking man that sucked! What season was that?

11. Plenty of bad episodes before then but yeah. There’s hella duds in season 11.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

This was the one for me too! I remember knowing the quality had declined for a long time prior but this particular episode seemed to not care at all and was especially jarring.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

Eh, Grimes had a huge chip on his shoulder and was out for a fight. Burns is the obvious source of all the plant's problems through complete negligence. He continues to employ Homer, he ignores all the plant's issues, he has a dog for a VP... But Grimes never considers blowing the whistle on Burns because it would threaten his position that he earned (in a corrupt and broken company). No matter who you replace Homer with, the plant would still be dangerous because of Burns' negligence and penny-pinching.

So instead Grimes just goes out of his way to impotently bully a coworker and loses his poo poo when the rest of the team doesn't join in. gently caress Grimes, the crab bucket bitch.

Thank you so much for perfectly summarizing why Grimes is such an rear end-sucking fucker. I have tried to collect my thoughts and explain myself on Grimes since 1997, and have just been a big dumb stupid idiot at it. This owns. You own.

gently caress Grimes.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Grimes serves as a reminder of what would happen should a normal person like you or I go to Springfield and it’s a warning to the viewer to not attempt to rationalize what others do, but to worry about your own

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Das Boo posted:

Grimes is also in the situation he’s in with Ahmed because Burns directly hosed him over with the VP job, and apart from maybe simmering in rage quietly for a moment we don’t see him show an ounce of frustration towards him, only someone at his level.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Das Boo posted:

But Grimes never considers blowing the whistle on Burns because it would threaten his position that he earned (in a corrupt and broken company).

Ah, there it is. He's a sort of mayor pete character.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

Thank you so much for perfectly summarizing why Grimes is such an rear end-sucking fucker. I have tried to collect my thoughts and explain myself on Grimes since 1997, and have just been a big dumb stupid idiot at it. This owns. You own.

gently caress Grimes.

:hfive:

I had to rewatch the episode to make sure I remembered it right and completely forgot about the dog VP.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Speaking of Homer's job and the power plant, remember that episode a few years decade back where he was transferred to another department and it was a Mad Men parody? I don't know how power plants work, but I think they're pretty different from an advertising agency. Always kind of bothered me.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Grimes is also in the situation he’s in with Ahmed because Burns directly hosed him over with the VP job, and apart from maybe simmering in rage quietly for a moment we don’t see him show an ounce of frustration towards him, only someone at his level.

Who is Ahmed?

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 6, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Ah, there it is. He's a sort of mayor pete character.

Grimes is CIA?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mantis42 posted:

Speaking of Homer's job and the power plant, remember that episode a few years decade back where he was transferred to another department and it was a Mad Men parody? I don't know how power plants work, but I think they're pretty different from an advertising agency. Always kind of bothered me.

I always thought it was pretty funny that a power plant was run by a monomaniacal tycoon in a mahogany-paneled office on the premises.

Like ... what

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFpTLEnrqU

“The way Lisa stares at him so blankly makes me laugh lol :D

If I could twist Al Jean's arm and make him answer a question, I'd ask him to explain to me what the joke here is. I get what is happening here, but what is the joke? "Imagine a guy eating a lot of food" isn't a joke. What's the joke here, Al?

To contrast with a classic episode, the first thing that popped into my head: in "Lisa the Simpson" Jasper is frozen in the freezer at the Quik-e-mart. OK, "old guy has accidentally managed to mess up his grocery shopping so badly he's frozen solid in a freezer" is actually a joke. That's funny! But then it turns out that he hasn't in fact accidentally frozen himself, but rather did it intentionally because he wanted to see the future. That's another layer, and it's funny! And the shop's owner, rather than helping the guy, decides to cash in on this event and charge people to see "Frostillicus". Another layer! And then after he's thawed he doesn't realize he's been frozen for like an hour and is impressed by everyday things as insanely futuristic. Yet another layer!

Or... you know. A guy eats a lot of food at famous New Orleans restaurants and his family doesn't approve.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 6, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The joke is that while Lisa wants to see some of the culture and history of New Orleans, Homer ignores that because he's monomaniacally obsessed with all the food. That's it. A weak, obvious joke stretched out to what felt like ten minutes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Homer being a food maniac is frequently hilarious - getting banned from the all you can eat seafood place, or being falsely accused of the same thing when he steals the ice cream truck.

It just has to be funny

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Going to New Orleans for the food is perfectly reasonable as well. Food is culture.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Homer would also not care about veggie red beans and rice after first having red beans and rice with sausage

RetroEnbyRobot
May 5, 2021

Alan_Shore posted:

This, Burns catching the loch ness monster and Homer being raped by a panda. Think they're all similar seasons too, and even as a kid I thought "wow, this sucks".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RetroEnbyRobot posted:

This, Burns catching the loch ness monster and Homer being raped by a panda. Think they're all similar seasons too, and even as a kid I thought "wow, this sucks".

I think when I saw that episode and it ended on some wet-fart joke about lobster bisque I was like "aaagghh, back to the loch with you, Nessie"

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Mantis42 posted:

Who is Ahmed?

It was a typo; thank auto fill and not paying attention.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i was watching the tree house of horror IV on disney+, and i poo poo you not, at least half of every segment was completely foreign to me. now yes, i have stated in this thread i haven't had cable in nearly a decade, so with it my ability to watch simpsons on a regular basis like i used to. HOWEVER, i have seen episodes such as this frequently as a kid. in fact, i don't think there's any show where i've seen repeats as often as i have for the simpsons. i hadn't seen the monorail episode in just as long, but i remember every detail to a T. which leads me to believe that they cut out most of this stuff in the syndicated runs.

btw, i liked the 'did that all happen or was it just a beautiful dream?' and 'We'll give you gold!' parts in the jockey elves episode

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mr Interweb posted:

so i was watching the tree house of horror IV on disney+, and i poo poo you not, at least half of every segment was completely foreign to me. now yes, i have stated in this thread i haven't had cable in nearly a decade, so with it my ability to watch simpsons on a regular basis like i used to. HOWEVER, i have seen episodes such as this frequently as a kid. in fact, i don't think there's any show where i've seen repeats as often as i have for the simpsons. i hadn't seen the monorail episode in just as long, but i remember every detail to a T. which leads me to believe that they cut out most of this stuff in the syndicated runs.

btw, i liked the 'did that all happen or was it just a beautiful dream?' and 'We'll give you gold!' parts in the jockey elves episode

"We'll give you gold!" is a legitimately good line for a story beat that was just incredibly stupid.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

In fact, I'll go one step further. The whole jockey elves thing is a Futurama style joke they tried to do on the Simpsons, and it just does not work in the Simpsons world. You take that same scene and put it in Disenchanted and it immediately becomes the funniest scene on that show.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

put it in Disenchanted and it immediately becomes the funniest scene on that show.

Lowest. Bar. Ever.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Saalkin posted:

Lowest. Bar. Ever.

:thejoke:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Data Graham posted:

Either way I still don't like the episode much because it just isn't very funny. Grimey being aghast at how much Homer sucks doesn't give me enough audience-insert goodvibes to offset that he's just kind of a petulant nerd and I would promote Homer over him just because I like him more, but the bigger issue is that there aren't that many good gags to be had in the episode. "Above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley" is about the best it does

"You've never been?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

The ability to watch Simpsons on cable is overstated because there's now a 2/3rd chance that any episode in syndication will be post-Season 10.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The funniest thing about Homer's food tour of New Orleans was the Binging with Babish guy went to New Orleans to recreate it shot-for-shot. He got down there after planning it for weeks and bringing a whole crew and equipment, and as they were going out for their second day of shooting some random lady went viral by posting a video doing exactly what they planned to do. So they got to watch her viral video get famous while they listlessly rode around New Orleans doing their shots.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

“That’s Bart. He owns a factory downtown” is probably my favourite reference to a B-plot in the entire show

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Was the screamapillar episode in the same season as the jockey elves? Because that episode was dire as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cyril Sneer posted:

Was the screamapillar episode in the same season as the jockey elves? Because that episode was dire as well.

No, jockey elves was 11, screaming caterpillar was 13.

Kill the Alligator and Run was 11 too though

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The best, most quotable episode from bad Simpsons was the one where homer becomes a missionary.

"Why oh why did I sign up for infrotrack"
"Elmo knows where you live"
"Sanctuary! Sanctuary!" "Why did I teach him that word"
"I may not know much about God, but we built a pretty good cage for him"

All of those stuck with me. It has a lot of newsimp DNA in there but still could breathe.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gumbly is forbidden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The introduction of Gumbly wasn't exactly a low point, but it was a harbinger of things to come, unfortunately. The unfocused nature of the character and his random screams really were annoying though.