Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just ordered custom neoprene seat covers for my car (Wet Okole), I've had them before and like it a lot, totally different feel than cloth or leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

fknlo posted:

Most steering wheel leather seems to be real leather. It's a problem for my friend that has been shopping for new cars and wants zero leather. You're stuck with the bottom trim level or two with most things at that point.

Go for alcantara, it's synthetic.

edit: I have no idea if there is a car where they will swap all the leather for Alcantara.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 6, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Murgos posted:

Go for alcantara, it's synthetic.

edit: I have no idea if there is a car where they will swap all the leather for Alcantara.

porsche

edit: my K5 rental car might have been all animal free. The steering wheel was some god awful vinyl and the seats were cloth. Shifter boot and parking brake boot would be the only potential suspects for leather use, but I doubt either is real leather.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If the concern is actually being vegan and not just "I don't like leather", there are other things in a car interior that can have animal products to watch out for. Bone char is used to make a lot of poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^aye they sell vegan tyres even, because animal products are used in so, so much.

quote:

The vast majority of tyres are not vegan. This is because most tyres are manufactured using stearic acid, a chemical compound that enhances flexibility, strength and grip in the rubber. Stearic acid is predominantly derived from tallow, a rendered form of animal fat.

The majority of tyres are made using animal fat — but not all. Michelin, one of the most reliable and long-serving tyre brands anywhere in the world, make 100% vegan tyres. They achieve this by using stearic acid derived from plant/vegetable sources. Vegan stearic acid is used across their entire tyre range, meaning you can obtain vegan tyres for any type of vehicle.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm entirely certain it would be literally impossible to actually live completely vegan, even if you lived out in the woods and grew your own food. It's definitely not scalable to something the size of an entire civilization.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Q!=E

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

If the concern is actually being vegan and not just "I don't like leather", there are other things in a car interior that can have animal products to watch out for. Bone char is used to make a lot of poo poo.

It’s not a vegan thing, just a leather thing. She’s vegetarian and trying to avoid it. Which sucks for her because it locks her out of a lot of modern creature comforts that are a requirement to me on a new car. Is there a reason no one uses the fake leather on steering wheels and shifters?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

fknlo posted:

It’s not a vegan thing, just a leather thing. She’s vegetarian and trying to avoid it. Which sucks for her because it locks her out of a lot of modern creature comforts that are a requirement to me on a new car. Is there a reason no one uses the fake leather on steering wheels and shifters?

The Accord Hybrid EX has a plastic steering wheel, cloth seats, a push-button shifter, and it comes with creature comforts (heated seats, sunroof, blind spot monitoring, wireless CarPlay/Android Auto)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

Because you touch them all the time and fake leather looks pretty good but feels and wears like garbage. Real leather is much more pleasant to touch and holds up better under constant use. It's a bang for your buck kind of thing. As other people have pointed out, nearly all cars have a ton of dead animal in them in one form or another.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Godzilla07 posted:

The Accord Hybrid EX has a plastic steering wheel, cloth seats, a push-button shifter, and it comes with creature comforts (heated seats, sunroof, blind spot monitoring, wireless CarPlay/Android Auto)

She's currently waiting for the new Civic to drop, hopefully it has something similar. She has been way less interested in most hybrids than I thought she would be.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Godzilla07 posted:

I test drove an Accord Hybrid. The Accord felt significantly more solid than my Optima did, and the ride quality was a lot better. The Accord soaked up small road imperfections, and larger impacts did not punch their way into the cabin. The Accord's steering was taut, and the noise floor was pretty low. The Honda hybrid system is transparent outside of full throttle scenarios, and offers a nice amount of pep. I'd like to see a one-pedal experience, which feels like it should be possible given the quasi-EV nature of Honda's hybrid system. The interior ergonomics were great, and the materials quality in the cabin was good.

I really liked it until I was quoted an out-the-door price of $35K. Then I remembered that the upgraded stereo is mediocre, because Honda has to leave at least one reason for someone to buy an Acura TLX, and I still don't get ventilated seats at that price. I'd be happy stepping one trim down to the EX but I can't shake the fact that Honda still gives you a plastic steering wheel in a $30K car.
I have had an Accord Hybrid for 18 months and you've pretty much summed my experience. It is drives beautifully; quiet and comfortable without being a total boat. It is naturally aspirated with port injection and no CVT, which takes care of the three biggest potential failures in modern cars. It has all the modern car stuff- blind spot monitors, Carplay/Android auto, heated seats. The emergency braking and lane keep work reasonably well. The lane keeping system is pretty unobtrusive; it certainly isn't as aggressive or annoying as the one in modern Toyotas. My only complaints are that the regen paddles don't hold their setting for more than ~10 seconds, and that the car is maybe 8 inches too long.

I solved the leather steering wheel problem with a wrap specifically made for the Accord. Took a few hours to install but totally worth it.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 6, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KillHour posted:

Because you touch them all the time and fake leather looks pretty good but feels and wears like garbage. Real leather is much more pleasant to touch and holds up better under constant use. It's a bang for your buck kind of thing. As other people have pointed out, nearly all cars have a ton of dead animal in them in one form or another.

I would pay nearly anything to get side bolsters on the drivers seat made out of thicker, better wearing leather. Every car I’ve ever seen with leather seats, the drivers exit bolster is hosed, or on the way to hosed by 5 years of ownership.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

fknlo posted:

Yeah the Mazda 3 is only a leather interior if you want stickshift :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cars (almost all of them) are so much insanely better than they were in the 80s and 90s . Those were dire times.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

fknlo posted:

Perhaps 'cows that died of being old in a field' would be acceptable?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fknlo posted:

You might be able to get a Mercedes with MB-Tex all around, which is just about the nicest vinyl that I've seen in mainstream cars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

euphronius posted:

Cars (almost all of them) are so much insanely better than they were in the 80s and 90s . Those were dire times.

Objectively, yes absolutely. Subjectively? Lmao not on your life.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

there's a huge selectivity problem with that as well. people only remember and think about the good cars, ain't nobody out here thinkin about Cutlasses and Colt Vistas poo poo. there were definitely some really fun and interesting cars being made but most cars that were made and bought were both objectively and subjectively huge fuckin turds

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Uh sir I'll have you know that my 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix was...was...

God, gently caress that car.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Idk I have a pretty deep love of my Camry . Is so boringly perfect

I agree with you tho that the shape of cars was better back then to look at

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Camry is definitely fascinating in how completely competent it is at nearly every single thing you can think of. It doesn't particularly excel at anything, nor is there anything to complain about. It is just Good.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ain't nobody out here thinkin about Cutlasses and Colt Vistas poo poo

Do Centuries count?

Nowadays the average appliance cars are way better, but it seems there are fewer unique and interesting bad cars, especially less expensive ones. It’s better overall, but we need more CrossCabriolets

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's a huge selectivity problem with that as well. people only remember and think about the good cars, ain't nobody out here thinkin about Cutlasses and Colt Vistas poo poo. there were definitely some really fun and interesting cars being made but most cars that were made and bought were both objectively and subjectively huge fuckin turds

Cool thing about the Colt Vista was that the Lancer Evo / Galant VR-4 go-fast goodies were drop-in replacements. I always wanted to do one back in the day, but never got around to it. Same for putting Supra Turbo parts into a Toyota Cressida wagon or all the usual Fox body go-fast goodies on a Ford Granada wagon. They all just seem so pointless these days with what can be bought relatively cheaply new and the performance they offer, never mind things like the interiors.

I may still put a fully built Chrysler 2.2/2.4 4-cylinder into an early Dodge Dakota though. Relatively reliable and aggressive street builds are pushing near 400 hp, which would be a hoot in like a 1992 Dakota.

The big jump in quality lately seems to be from the new-for-2012 impact and rollover standards that got implemented, along with the Obama-era emissions requirements. The crash standard updates are what finally killed the Ford Panther and original Ranger, among many others.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

Do Centuries count?

Nowadays the average appliance cars are way better, but it seems there are fewer unique and interesting bad cars, especially less expensive ones. It’s better overall, but we need more CrossCabriolets

yeah for sure, much lower variance these days

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Excuse you. I miss the heck out of my 96 cutlass with the 3.4. Sunroof, cool shaved door hands, nice pickup.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I remember cars with AM radio only, manual windows, no A/C that guzzled gas and had, compared to today, anemic performance. That amazing rad Camaro of your youth? The one with the 5.0 is black stenciled on the side? 215 HP and it weighed a ton. Also? A lot bigger than you remember.

Also driving in the rain was like, "Well, you were asking for it."

Most of those old cars were crap, even the good ones.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My dad had a 1982 or so 280zx and it was the coolest thing in the world

(It was a rusted hulk by 1988)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah my dad had a '88 IROC-Z with the 5.7 and back then it was a rocket ship on rails.

Way too much car for 17 year old me but i drove it like i stole it, got pulled over for racing a Mustang GT of the same vintage :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I kind of regret that our wagon came with MB-Tex instead of leather, but I'll admit it looks great, is easy to clean, and seems to regulate temperature well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've got 27 year old MB Tex on a C220 and it's in perfect shape. It's also blue!

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I kind of regret that our wagon came with MB-Tex instead of leather, but I'll admit it looks great, is easy to clean, and seems to regulate temperature well.

Any particular reason for the regret?

Charles posted:

I've got 27 year old MB Tex on a C220 and it's in perfect shape. It's also blue!

So much this. You really have to abuse MB-Tex drat hard (like commercial cab levels) for it to start having issues.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

dissss posted:

Same way they'd choose between a Yaris, Corolla and Camry or an X1/3/5 - different size vehicles that sit in different market segments.

The Germans really have been be doing the "same sausage, different lengths..." thing for some time now, Audi especially. Less interior quality and feature differences then you'd think across the range, especially if you go to town with options list.

On a random lark I went and compared the classic SJ Grand Wagoneer's dimensions with the the current Mercedes X253 GLC. They are within ~2" of each other in every dimension, both inside and out. Other than a bit more vertical height, the GLC is also basically identical to a 2000s-era E-class wagon in terms of interior dimensions too.

Also amusing to notice the current Mercedes A/GLA-class is basically identical to the Impreza/Crosstrek dimensions-wise and the A/GLA 35 is performance-wise basically a clone of the WRX STI, at least on paper.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I had an 87 and 94 Camry and I remember the cloth upholstery being really nice and plush, but didn't wear well. I had to get seatcovers after a few years.

From what I've seen modern massmarket cloth interiors aren't that luxuriant but wear better.

As with everything else in modern life the material costs have been shaved to the bone for maximum shareholder return or something.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 7, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EnergizerFellow posted:

Any particular reason for the regret?

Because I recently sat in a MB leather interior and it's nice. No other reason. Objectively, MB-Tex will wear better and is the better long-term choice.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Because I recently sat in a MB leather interior and it's nice. No other reason. Objectively, MB-Tex will wear better and is the better long-term choice.

Too bad that Mercedes seems to lock seat coolers to real leather, at least in the US market.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

New NASCAR race cars were unveiled for the 2022 season with lots of changes.....Finally

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/05/05/2022-next-gen-mustang-nascar.html

Rack and pinion steering, IRS, forged 18 inch aluminum wheels. Air diffuser in the back as well

They finally ditched the solid axle :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

smooth jazz posted:

I had an 87 and 94 Camry and I remember the cloth upholstery being really nice and plush, but didn't wear well. I had to get seatcovers after a few years.

From what I've seen modern massmarket cloth interiors aren't that luxuriant but wear better.

As with everything else in modern life the material costs have been shaved to the bone for maximum shareholder return or something.

I had an 89 camry and I know what you're talking about. It was a panda colored road pillow with a blue tweed interior and that driver's side exit bolster looked like hell. I do recall being amazed how plush it was compared to more modern cars after I'd had it for a while. Toyota really brought their A game with that car because it existed before Lexus, well, same year.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Weird, my 90 was in great shape the last time I saw it. It had the blue fabric too. I think it only had 160,000 miles though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Charles posted:

Weird, my 90 was in great shape the last time I saw it. It had the blue fabric too. I think it only had 160,000 miles though.

"Only" 160k miles on a 1990 model year car? The Chevy Cavalier, Celebrity, or Lumina of that era was entirely done by 80k miles.