Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The Misty Isles in the dark ages had a better attitude towards the mentality I’ll than America in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Is the 1970s-rear end cash register an intentional design decision? And why does a grocery store have a department store style checkout counter? And is Jeffy possessed by Pazuzu? so many questions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The mother always look so goddamned tired.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ikanreed posted:

Is the 1970s-rear end cash register an intentional design decision? And why does a grocery store have a department store style checkout counter? And is Jeffy possessed by Pazuzu? so many questions.

A lot of them a reprints (with small touches like masks).

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ikanreed posted:

Family Circus these days includes a fair number of reruns from decades past, touched up to include present-day things like face masks. I don't specifically recall this one from the collections I had as a kid, but it seems likely it dates back to when that style of register was still a thing.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (June 13, 1992)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is a refreshing change from the usual "some gizmo" Boomer comics (and editorial cartoons) you tend to see.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Jucika gets poo poo done :allears:

Also loving that first vintage Zits strip-- my bedroom shared a wall with my parents' bathroom so I often had the pleasure of hearing my dad hack and snort and cough and spit his way through his morning routine

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (June 13, 1992)

Listen: Do you know who my father was?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
So much for Rauno not being a little poo poo!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Captain Kosmos posted:

Everyone else has their mouth showing through the mask except the teacher, let's fix that.

That didn't help at all! Maybe it's the missing eyes. :magemage:

No... :ohdear:
Would.

Hwurmp posted:

spoilers: all that crap will be rotting in self-storage within five years' time
Yup. What the gently caress are you going to do with a pump organ? Good luck getting rid of it when you realize it's just taking up space.

F Minus

Mark Trail

How are animals supposed to use this app?

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I got talked into giving up my grandfather's senior driver's license that I had held on to for a couple years after he passed to another relative who then lost it in like a month.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (June 13, 1992)

Doomykins posted:

So much for Rauno not being a little poo poo!

This seems to be implying that the new bank management is specifically trying to take the home and garage for resale. In this case, Rauno's pretty justified in his anger.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Family Circus strikes me as living in a vintage/modern pseudo era, like Batman: The Animated Series, but suburban drudgery instead of cool

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Green Intern posted:

This seems to be implying that the new bank management is specifically trying to take the home and garage for resale. In this case, Rauno's pretty justified in his anger.

Of course but threatening vandalism means the new manager will just shrug, call the cops and drop the loans and foreclose on the garage because "a good bank can't be supporting violent gangs!"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

That's the king in the last panel.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Doomykins posted:

Of course but threatening vandalism means the new manager will just shrug, call the cops and drop the loans and foreclose on the garage because "a good bank can't be supporting violent gangs!"

Rauno would shiv that banker gently caress in the kidney.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Some Guy TT posted:

In over his head strikes me as the more appropriate expression here. Out of his league implies that Shauna and her family are highly desirable, when he sees them more as eccentric and is only comforted when he realizes that the family doesn't understand Shauna's brutalism obsession either.

For our American readers, that strip's actually all about the English class system. Jack's from a respectable professional family, whereas Shauna's mum's a cleaner, her step dad's a plumber and they live on a council estate (housing project). Jack's uncomfortably reflecting on the social differences throughout the strip. Shauna rises above it all, of course.

And she's definitely too good for Jack

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

shut up shut up shut up shut up shut UUUP

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (June 13, 1992)

NOW there's a mafia

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like I agree with that post more than I should

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Aside from the references to OBH and Luann they're right. New Nancy is very joyless and I agree 100% with the earlier in-thread post that every character is the same and there's no reason to have four identical beige blocks. It's basically all the turn-offs of modern Peanuts repeated with a rare 1/10 of the strips being pretty funny in the artist's own sense of humor.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Rauno would shiv that banker gently caress in the kidney.

:hai: Alright, maybe Rauno can redeem himself.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 6, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I know it's a joke but it's wild to think of just how recently people casually ate, drank and smoked in labs(medical or otherwise). Now we're required to have biohazard and NO FOOD OR DRINK stickers on all our fridges outside the breakroom.

Johnny Walker posted:

Yup. What the gently caress are you going to do with a pump organ? Good luck getting rid of it when you realize it's just taking up space.
IIRC this is causing an issue where even thrift stores don't want the crap that boomers hold onto and nobody else wants anymore, like crystal drinkware/fine china/etc. (although at least you could still eat/drink with that stuff if you wanted to; a pump organ is just useless)

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Yup. What the gently caress are you going to do with a pump organ?

:heysexy:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Jack Finch: Good at mysteries, terrible at picking up hints.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 2/1-3/43

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (June 13, 1992)

Rauno's a piece of poo poo, but this one and the last one I'm like... kid's not wrong.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LOOK YOU DONT GET IT

IM FAT

AND I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT

BUT I DONT WANT TO CHANGE ANYTHING

SO A NEED A SCALE THAT WILL LIE TO ME LIKE SEAN HANNITY DOES EVERY NIGHT

I NEED A HANNITY SCALE

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

I feel like they're using Wee Pals as a pejorative example. I'm not a big fan of new Nancy, but it doesn't remind me of Wee Pals at all.

(Incidentally, Turner's strip after Dinky Fellas is basically Wee Pals grown up in the army. I'll post it after the Dinky run.)

Lay off Wee Pals, LoisG.

And He Did! (May 14, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 9, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 15, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 25, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 25, 1935)

Mopsy (January 25, 1937)

Dark Laughter (July 21, 1945)

Those Were the Days (March 19, 1953)

Wee Pals (August 14, 1965)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Slammy posted:

I feel like they're using Wee Pals as a pejorative example. I'm not a big fan of new Nancy, but it doesn't remind me of Wee Pals at all.

It's because they're being racist, OP.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (August 14, 1965)

Now you're gonna have to compete with lemonade stand builders and charge competitive rents!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 3, 1933)

Peanuts (May 9, 1974)

Harry Dinkle Can't Stop Making It About Himself

COVID-shaft

Mutt And Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 6, 1937)

Out Our Way (July 27-29, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (July 23-25, 1917)

Dok's "Did We Do 'Foreign Intervention' Yet?" Duck (August 4, 1913)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

I definitely forgot that those were a separate set of neighbors so I guess it's nice they moved away during the time skip

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "Did We Do 'Foreign Intervention' Yet?" Duck (August 4, 1913)

Garlic fiend? Tamale? Frijoli? Really? I'd be angry but im just hungry now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban