Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I appreciate the feedback dudes.

This might be a thing that encourages a new use pattern, but BEP is probably right. A potential marketing concept and use case is "follow recipes more closely", ie when they lay out the spices in ingredients section.

The fleecing VCs with cartridges sounds fun, but I am too put off by that model to pull it off. I have used inkjet printers before and don't wish to reflect.

Order of magnitude 10.

Re particle size etc - I think for purpose of consumer measurements, the range of common spice sizes is fine for this. Ie recipes will describe things to the nearest 1/4 cup and say use "high heat", so precion isn't big here

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

KnifeWrench posted:

Apparently it's an analog frequency response thing, and not that uncommon to be much higher than practical (probably to keep the knee far away from the usable measurement range):

https://ez.analog.com/data_converters/high-speed_adcs/f/q-a/141789/what-is-adc-bandwidth

Thanks, interesting. I'm usually used to seeing this in reverse - a sampling rate that exceeds the stated bandwidth, eg.,, scopes with a 70 MHz bandwidth but a 2.5 Gs/s sampling rate. I understand the reasoning for this, so my posted example was confusing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

WTF is an "OOM 10 sep container"?

Dominoes posted:

Order of magnitude 10.

That just raises further questions!

Dominoes posted:

spice

so precision isn't big here

Uhh.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Oops words mean things. I guess "OOM 1" is what I meant.

If a method to measure volume is included, you could calculate density, and this probably isn't required if you use weight. I guess exposed surface area might matter for the ratio you'd use for a given flavor, but I don't think accounting for that is required.

Another potential use/marketing term: "Discover new flavor combinations", where it chooses something fun based on what you have, then lets you save it.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 6, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I still don't understand what order of magnitude means in the context of plastic containers.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

5-30ish

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
5-30ish ...of what? Number of containers? Ounces per container? The abbreviations and posting shortcuts you use are so inscrutable sometimes :psyduck:

Dominoes posted:

Another potential use/marketing term: "Discover new flavor combinations", where it chooses something fun based on what you have, then lets you save it.

Who defines “fun”? Don’t crowdsource it because the Venn diagram of people who would buy this and people who would make their own custom spice blends probably doesn’t overlap.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sorry - was phone posting. Number of containers.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
The target consumer for this product would have to have cabinet or counter space for a powered rack with a removable dispenser that can access thirty individual and removable spice containers, ideally each of which would be larger than a marble. I envy this person.

(all food-touching parts must be removable for cleaning and replacement)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

1 ft square of glass, gravity-feeding bottles would make this tenable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I mean, you can come up with implementations all day for it, but is there a market for it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I like the idea, but I don't know if there is a huge market. It'd be a cool thing to make a prototype of just to have one, imo. If you mass the items as they go into a bowl or tray, you can get plenty good accuracy. Something like reloading powder dispensers.

e: There might be a decent market in small scale commercial kitchens. Those users would be more willing to do some recipe config and would have a regular menu, compared to a home cook.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 6, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
You’ll have to deal with clumping in the vessels. I buy bulk spices to make my own BBQ rubs and you can store spices without putting beans or something in the jar to absorb moisture.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

taqueso posted:

I like the idea, but I don't know if there is a huge market. It'd be a cool thing to make a prototype of just to have one, imo. If you mass the items as they go into a bowl or tray, you can get plenty good accuracy. Something like reloading powder dispensers.

e: There might be a decent market in small scale commercial kitchens. Those users would be more willing to do some recipe config and would have a regular menu, compared to a home cook.

You guys are looking at this thing all wrong. You don't want to sell it to consumers, you want to sell it to the guy who sells it to consumers. What you need is a Guy Fieri spicebot or something. So you need to get Guy on board.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I installed a wireless light switch in my apartment yesterday. It was a bit hard to install in the old, shallow box. But I got the switch installed and grounded, it worked, everything seemed okay.

When I turn it on at the switch or with the app on my face goes a bit numb. No other wireless things in my place cause that problem, Is this just a weird coincidence?

Edit: I think it's just a weird coincidence, some seasonal allergy weirdness.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 6, 2021

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Shame Boy posted:

If you add proprietary DRM'd spice cartridges to it that cost $20 each you have an idea that would make a bunch of VC money and then implode immediately on actual launch, if you're into that sort of thing.

I think you mean a spice cartridge subscription. The unit should require an account and active internet connection to send microphone and camera inputs to the central AI that suggests the perfect spice blend to eject. Every ejection and 24 hours a cleaning cycle is performed to ensure optimal performance by dumping 10% of the contents in the sealed maintenance box (made with recycled materials, $39).

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The ideal project is one where you can have all the fun developing it, get paid, and never have to support it. If it gets cancelled early enough you won't even have to test it and admit it has flaws, and everyone will appreciate your genius all the more!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

In all seriousness, that garbage is part of the reason I got into this. I want to make useful devices that don't do that. The ubiquity of patterns like that is unfortunate.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm getting these tiny circuit boards in the mail, now I think I should get a better soldering iron and see if I can be a man's man and not let carbon build up on it.

Recs?

I'm looking at these on ebay RN:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1642414325...7Cclp%3A2334524

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383845753358

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313397662872

Dominoes posted:

In all seriousness, that garbage is part of the reason I got into this. I want to make useful devices that don't do that. The ubiquity of patterns like that is unfortunate.

And you can meet Guy Fieri.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

RandomPauI posted:

I installed a wireless light switch in my apartment yesterday. It was a bit hard to install in the old, shallow box. But I got the switch installed and grounded, it worked, everything seemed okay.

When I turn it on at the switch or with the app on my face goes a bit numb. No other wireless things in my place cause that problem, Is this just a weird coincidence?

Edit: I think it's just a weird coincidence, some seasonal allergy weirdness.

No, wireless stuff will not make your face go numb

Maybe if you have old school mercury fillings, and you also stick your head in a microwave

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

ante posted:

No, wireless stuff will not make your face go numb

Maybe if you have old school mercury fillings, and you also stick your head in a microwave

This has been my experience, also.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I think you already got pre-empted with the spice thing. Around the time of the Juicero someone came up with the Tastetro (obviously playing off of the Juicero's, er, great publicity). And yes it has RFID-secured spice packs.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

petit choux posted:

And you can meet Guy Fieri.
Yes, please.

Hobnob posted:

I think you already got pre-empted with the spice thing. Around the time of the Juicero someone came up with the Tastetro (obviously playing off of the Juicero's, er, great publicity). And yes it has RFID-secured spice packs.
Good find. That's p much it, plus the (amusingly-accurately-predicted) cartridge system. I'm going to think on this once I wrap up what I'm working on. Still having some struggles there.

edit: It's odd there's no obvious way to buy it. Abandoned? Not ready yet? Looks like there's an Indiegogo that is no longer avail to view? Was this a crowdfunding scam?

Btw, got the 10MΩ resistors in and things are looking good! Now, that's an (almost) OOM 10 difference.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 7, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Polished product design is also really, really hard.

I find the hardware(the fun part) is usually only like, 10% of the final thing, the rest of it is in software, packaging, and marketing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The reason why you can't find that thing for sale is likely because no one really wants one. People who don't know anything about blending spices are just buying preblended spices at the grocery store, and people who want to make their own spice blend don't need a robot to do it for them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

The reason why you can't find that thing for sale is likely because no one really wants one. People who don't know anything about blending spices are just buying preblended spices at the grocery store, and people who want to make their own spice blend don't need a robot to do it for them.

Which is why you need to talk to Guy.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
No tinfoil hats here. I'm fine with wireless things. I'm streaming to my phone and under a fiet led color changing light that turns on thru the wifi while my desktop is connected to a router that's right next to me.

I just forgot that I had the windows wide open on a windy, pollen-filled day.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Would a call recording circuit intended for a landline set- this sort of thing-

be practical to adapt for use with an iphone? I need to record a series of phone conversations with an elderly family member, but i'm very unimpressed with the app-based recorders, they're all charging weekly subscriptions for the service and don't seem to work consistently despite that. Recording with a secondary device seems like the way to go, but the quality on recorded speakerphone conversations is pretty bad and there's a lot of unintelligible parts. If I can directly send both sides of the conversation to the aux input on my computer and record with Audacity that'd be about perfect, but this isn't just a standard stereo headphone jack situation, it's an Apple Situation, so i gotta reckon w the usual bullshit- the lightning connectors that need adapters to plug headphones in, their whole general pickiness about only permitting Genuine(tm) peripherals, etc- and i have no idea how much that complicates things

alternately, suggestions for other ways to make this work are very welcome. in a perfect world i could use some inline self-contained device to record calls to a microSD card or something so i'm not tethered to a computer for calls- i know these exist in several forms for landlines- but ultimately I'll do whatever gets good recordings without dropping calls after 10 minutes or w/e

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 7, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is there a reason this has to be an iphone and you can't just use one of any hundreds of VoIP services via a computer headset that support this directly

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

Is there a reason this has to be an iphone and you can't just use one of any hundreds of VoIP services via a computer headset that support this directly

Something is amiss here methinks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If the goal here is taking the oral history of an elderly family member, imo it's worth just paying for one of the apps for a couple of months.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

assuming you mean "record the speakerphone audio", tried it, the quality is dogshit

Shame Boy posted:

you tell me, i've never used anything but a telephone to make telephone calls, and an iphone's what i have ot work with. i know the other party won't know how to use anything but their own landline so zoom et al are off the table. assumed i'd have to do this with a conventional phone

Sagebrush posted:

If the goal here is taking the oral history of an elderly family member, imo it's worth just paying for one of the apps for a couple of months.

That's it, yeah. and I agree, but I can't find even a paid/subscription one that isnt't full of comments about dropped/hanging calls. I really don't want that to happen, if I'm doing the recording myself I'd be a lot more confident about the recordings not disappearing into the aether.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 7, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There's plenty of VoIP services that let you call normal phone numbers. Like Google Voice supports recording, and can dial normal numbers for real cheap:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115083?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en&oco=0

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
v glad there's a "normal" and "easy" way to do this, thanks

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Get a nice microphone + use OBS to record the audio from a VoIP call

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

M_Gargantua posted:

Easiest answer is to throw on some EEVblog/Great Scott/ScanLime/Carl Brgeja/Electroboom/etc youtube in your background and you'll pick up some stuff by osmosis in the 1000 hours of content. There are a ton of books and stuff but for general learning I always recommend youtube because moving pictures are less boring for the beginner. I will gladly read research paper on RF antenna design but no way i'd recommend it to someone who wants surface level info.

Sounds like general people making things youtube might also be more relevant that electronics directly. This Old Tony, AvE, Make it Extreme, etc. Lots of them out there that are wonderful if you avoid some of the dumber channels

This is a good suggestion but you left out Big Clive (bigclivedotcom on youtube), who I find to be the best of the bunch for layman's explanations. Also he has a beautiful man-voice and makes for excellent background noise. And when you get bored of watching him reverse engineer horribly dangerous Chinese crap from eBay, you can watch him perform unholy experiments on alcoholic beverages

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Leave out Big Clive at your peril.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Ambrose Burnside posted:

assuming you mean "record the speakerphone audio", tried it, the quality is dogshit

you tell me, i've never used anything but a telephone to make telephone calls, and an iphone's what i have ot work with. i know the other party won't know how to use anything but their own landline so zoom et al are off the table. assumed i'd have to do this with a conventional phone

That's it, yeah. and I agree, but I can't find even a paid/subscription one that isnt't full of comments about dropped/hanging calls. I really don't want that to happen, if I'm doing the recording myself I'd be a lot more confident about the recordings not disappearing into the aether.

What you are wanting to do is called a “mix/minus”, which is a little bit of a pain in the rear end but doable with a basic mixer and the right cables.

https://youtu.be/NkhNIrCcLFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forseti posted:

This is a good suggestion but you left out Big Clive (bigclivedotcom on youtube), who I find to be the best of the bunch for layman's explanations. Also he has a beautiful man-voice and makes for excellent background noise. And when you get bored of watching him reverse engineer horribly dangerous Chinese crap from eBay, you can watch him perform unholy experiments on alcoholic beverages

Reading that list my head just kinda automatically inserted him because I couldn't imagine that list not including Big Clive so I didn't even notice. Everyone I know watches Clive, even people not into electronics at all. He's just got a great channel and a goddamn excellent voice.