Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
why tf would i ever want that feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Some bikes have pretty strong engine braking, comparable to lightly applying the brakes. It would make sense that if you engine brake as hard as 'normal brake' braking, that the brake light comes on.

I tend to do it manually. If i do 7000rpm in 2nd gear, and let go of the throttle, i don't need the brakes to quickly lose speed. Drivers don't expect such a loss of speed without a brake light, so even if i don't actually use any brake force, i tend to slightly push the rear brake so the light comes on.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Yeah basically.
Like in stop and go traffic. You might let off the throttle in a lower gear without pulling the clutch lever if the person in front slows down. It might confuse the driver behind. So ya don't get rear ended. I am trying to always have a habit of using the brakes though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

916 came out much later than that (first homologation specials came out in 93, it first raced in the 94 season). The particular model he tested (the 900SS/SP) only came out in 95, and although it was quite a bit hotter than the base 900SS, it was still pretty tame for the time and like I say roughly the same power and weight as a modern mid-range commuter.

My bad, I was thinking of the fucken rc30. Regardless the 900 was never a fast bike even on its debut, I stand by everything I've said.

Razzled posted:

why tf would i ever want that feature

Exactly.

If you're that worried, the rear brake light switch triggers before the rear brake engages so just flop your meat flipper on there and it'll light up.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
getting rear ended is just (bad) luck. my tuono engine braked like crazy so i coast to stops at red lights too, never even been close to getting rear ended

if you're stopping tap or use the brakes, if you're not then it doesn't really matter. it's an answer without a question which is probably why no bike has it

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Razzled posted:

getting rear ended is just (bad) luck. my tuono engine braked like crazy so i coast to stops at red lights too, never even been close to getting rear ended

if you're stopping tap or use the brakes, if you're not then it doesn't really matter. it's an answer without a question which is probably why no bike has it

The LiveWire has its brake lights go on when you roll off the throttle. You don't even need the brakes if you are riding sedately, including stopping for roundabouts and such.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Yeah I mean like technically a lot of things on bikes are optional. Why have ABS get in your way when you can control how hard you brake and keep it under the threshold of locking wheels? Why have linked brakes? It seemed kind of a harmless idea unless it didn't work well, ie going off too much.

I've been driving cars long enough to where I have gotten salty over things like ABS or tire pressure monitoring, traction control systems etc. Like just give me control kinda thing.

I am completely new to bikes but I think there is a little bit of a parallel there. It's nice to have options if you can turn them off if you don't like it, haha.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 6, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Abs is super worthwhile and only hinders you on the track and trail, in which case you can just pull out the fuse or, if you're really hardcore, just wire in an off switch. You aren't likely to outbrake abs on street tires.

Linked brakes are terrible garbage that are basically an admission that people can't ride for poo poo, manufacturers can't make them ride better, so let's create a system that helps the 80% morons while really irritating the decent riders. Thankfully these are vanishing because abs does the same sort of thing but much better and simpler.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was gifted one of these and it does what you’re talking about. It has an accelerometer that detects when you’re braking or engine braking and lights up.

https://www.brakefreetech.com

No clue how it affects real world safety. I’m sure a study hasn’t been done

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 6, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tbh a brake/tail light on the back of your helmet seems like an excellent idea in general even if it's just lit up by normal means.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

The LiveWire has its brake lights go on when you roll off the throttle. You don't even need the brakes if you are riding sedately, including stopping for roundabouts and such.

That's common (maybe compulsory?) for EVs that do "engine braking". Incidentally does the LiveWire (or the other electric bikes) let you set the amount of closed-throttle regeneration they do, like the one-pedal modes in a lot of electric cars?

Personally I've always had it drilled into me that you whenever you have a closed throttle you should be touching the brake to get your lights on just as a courtesy to other drivers. I know it can be annoying as hell when you're behind someone who doesn't do this, because the slow deceleration means you can eat quite badly into your safety margin before noticing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Tbh a brake/tail light on the back of your helmet seems like an excellent idea in general even if it's just lit up by normal means.

Yeah, I'd love to see that integrated into a helmet - although of course it's just yet another thing for me to forget to charge.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's common (maybe compulsory?) for EVs that do "engine braking". Incidentally does the LiveWire (or the other electric bikes) let you set the amount of closed-throttle regeneration they do, like the one-pedal modes in a lot of electric cars?

Personally I've always had it drilled into me that you whenever you have a closed throttle you should be touching the brake to get your lights on just as a courtesy to other drivers. I know it can be annoying as hell when you're behind someone who doesn't do this, because the slow deceleration means you can eat quite badly into your safety margin before noticing.

Yes, you can adjust the degree of engine braking when you roll off the throttle.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was gifted one of these and it does what you’re talking about. It has an accelerometer that detects when you’re braking or engine braking and lights up.

https://www.brakefreetech.com

No clue how it affects real world safety. I’m sure a study hasn’t been done

Ok that's heckin cool and when I ever replace my helmet I'm totally getting one for it. It won't help SMIDSY, of course, but it looks cool.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

IDK to me it just looks like a giant cop magnet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

People on facebook marketplace are impossible sometimes:
*alpinestars jacket* *insert one crappy picture and nary a description*
me: can you send me a few other photos of the jacket and specifically the size/info tag on the inside of the jacket?
them: yes it's available
me: cool, can you send me those pics when you get a chance?
them: are you local?
me: yes, but before i drive over i'd like to know exactly what model it is as A* make a ton of different jackets
them: i got this last year but i sold my bike and wore it only a few times

:kingsley:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

IDK to me it just looks like a giant cop magnet.

Just turn it off if you don’t want extra attention, I guess

Most motorcycles that aren’t dadbikes are already cop magnets

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Re: cop magnets
Like, here, the news keeps running articles about how police won't chace motorcycles because it is dangerous. Is that not the case elsewhere?

I'm a new and pretty careful rider, so it doesn't impact me much personally.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A lot of places have no chase rules in general, but I think in this instance cop magnet means just attracting unwanted attention

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Russian Bear posted:

People on facebook marketplace are impossible sometimes:
*alpinestars jacket* *insert one crappy picture and nary a description*
me: can you send me a few other photos of the jacket and specifically the size/info tag on the inside of the jacket?
them: yes it's available
me: cool, can you send me those pics when you get a chance?
them: are you local?
me: yes, but before i drive over i'd like to know exactly what model it is as A* make a ton of different jackets
them: i got this last year but i sold my bike and wore it only a few times

:kingsley:
I've had better luck with ebay for used motorcycle gear so long as I filter out all the sketchy international sellers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Re: cop magnets
Like, here, the news keeps running articles about how police won't chace motorcycles because it is dangerous. Is that not the case elsewhere?

I'm a new and pretty careful rider, so it doesn't impact me much personally.

"Do not chase" does not mean "do not pull over".

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Yeah I mean like technically a lot of things on bikes are optional. Why have ABS get in your way when you can control how hard you brake and keep it under the threshold of locking wheels?

While there is an exception for dirt, basically everyone who uses this argument with regard to motorcycles on the street absolutely cannot threshold brake the way they'd like you to believe they can.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The only time I've been annoyed at abs on the road (while riding, it's plenty annoying while fixing) is the bikes with really strong braking and horsepower, the s1000 comes to mind, that then don't let you do a stoppie or wheelie. Like, you trust me with that much power and speed but gott in himmel ze wheels must never lose ground contact!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

While there is an exception for dirt, basically everyone who uses this argument with regard to motorcycles on the street absolutely cannot threshold brake the way they'd like you to believe they can.

KTM's offroad ABS (their term) rules on their big bikes. you can shut the rear off so you can lock it for descents through the TFT without pulling fuses / sensors and that lets you keep yourself from having the front tuck if you're not paying attention to what you're riding on. it's seriously good poo poo and still lets you run CC on connecting roads and all that jazz

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is default teaching in the Norwegian Mc drivers ed. 80 kmh zone getting reduced to 60kmh that you can engine brake, as you ARE paying attention to your FUNCTIONAL rear mirrors, if you got cars behind you touch your brakes to rouse them out of their stupor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

This is default teaching in the Norwegian Mc drivers ed. 80 kmh zone getting reduced to 60kmh that you can engine brake, as you ARE paying attention to your FUNCTIONAL rear mirrors, if you got cars behind you touch your brakes to rouse them out of their stupor.

:lol: fantastic

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Supradog posted:

Haha.
Yeah they didn't touch that at all in my MC safety class. You are right it is my responsibility to know who is behind me when I am slowing down and if they are paying attention, how much space there is etc. If I am not paying attention to that I shouldn't be riding.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Today I have to be That Guy who fails to show up after agreeing to buy your bike, because the loving van hire company called me at the last minute to tell me their computer says DO NOT LEND

Some poo poo about my address being unverifiable but ultimately the issue is just that computers are dumb and I hate them.

Asking the seller if he can hang on for another week but I wouldn't be surprised or mad if they find someone else to flip it to honestly

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Some poo poo about my address being unverifiable but ultimately the issue is just that computers are dumb and I hate them.

For a few years I lived on a street that also had a retirement community on it.

So my address was like 123 Home Street, Suburb.

The retirement village had an address Unit 123, 50 Home Street, Suburb.

But if you started typing my address into most sat nav systems or the postal service computer system or their web site, and selected the first automatically generated suggestion, you'd get the retirement village instead of my house.

And Unit 123 was the demo unit, so it was always empty and didn't have a phone or anything.

So like about a 10% chance that something you ordered wouldn't turn up, or that what ever company would claim that the address on my license was not the address in their system, or whatever other complete obstacle to doing anything. I had to go to three different internet providers before one would listen to me to the extent that they would at least double check the address they had on their screen against the address I was saying before telling me there was no service there.

It all got fixed when Google maps took off and everyone started using their data set, which defaulted to my house instead of the empty unit.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 8, 2021

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

It all got fixed when Google maps took off and everyone started using their data set, which defaulted to my house instead of the empty unit.

Man, Google maps. It's just fed the GIS data provided by the town, but sometimes that's not great. I live in a house that was built in 2012, on a weird-shaped 5 acre plot that extends out to the nearby cul de sac, which is the next right after you pass my house (or left, before my house, depending). My address is ### Main St, and for the first year we lived here, delivery drivers would follow their Waze/GMaps down to an empty lot in the cul de sac, call me, and ask where my house is. Dude the address I gave is on loving Main St, just go to Main St and stop when you get to the number provided.

The place I lived before this was a townhouse in a relatively new complex, and UPS refused to grant me an account because they couldn't verify that my address was a residence. It took them 6 weeks. I'd call and tell them to just Google the loving address but they still needed to go through a formal inquiry to apparently determine whether or not I lived in an industrial complex.

The internet really does make you stupid.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah it isn't great, but it solved that particular problem.

Gmaps has the corners of my current block like 50m out, and it shows my driveway as a through road which leads to the occasional loving idiot opening my gates and driving on up.

Sooner or later someone's gonna get stuck which will be hilarious.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 9, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

For a few years I lived on a street that also had a retirement community on it.

So my address was like 123 Home Street, Suburb.

The retirement village had an address Unit 123, 50 Home Street, Suburb.

But if you started typing my address into most sat nav systems or the postal service computer system or their web site, and selected the first automatically generated suggestion, you'd get the retirement village instead of my house.

And Unit 123 was the demo unit, so it was always empty and didn't have a phone or anything.

So like about a 10% chance that something you ordered wouldn't turn up, or that what ever company would claim that the address on my license was not the address in their system, or whatever other complete obstacle to doing anything. I had to go to three different internet providers before one would listen to me to the extent that they would at least double check the address they had on their screen against the address I was saying before telling me there was no service there.

I had a similar problem when they built over the factory and yard that used to be on the other side of my street and had to give it an address, but they did it in the stupidest way possible.

Previously my address had just been in the form 1, My Block, My Street. Next to My Block was another block which was numbers 1-20 My Street, which was its own kind of stupid, but whatever. Both My Block and 1-20 My Street had the same postcode. When they built the blocks opposite they became 1-<x>, 1 My Street, 3 My Street, and 5 My Street, and my address became Flat* 1, 2 My Street and the block next door became 1-20, 12 My Street. Outcome - apart from getting deliveries for any random flat at 1 My Street - credit reference agencies randomly started deciding I was lying because I had previously claimed to live at 1 My Street even though it didn't exist, had applied for credit at whatever mangled version various databases had of my address so it looked like I was claiming to live at like 10 different places at once, was actually someone who had lived at 1, 12 My Street years ago and had a shitload of bad debt and bankruptcies. In all it took about 2 years to sort all this poo poo out.

Apparently there's now a much more streamlined way of dealing with this now, though - RR, sign up with Credit Karma (free of charge) and you should be able to file a dispute with any incorrect information which should get percolated through to all the other agencies.

(Separately I still occasionally get very pointed letters saying "You can't apply for this, you're dead" because my dad, G.T. Twisto, also lived at this address and apparently computers are baffled by the concept of middle names and kids being named after their parents)

* It's not a flat, it's a maisonette, and that also has caused me problems with home insurance.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
After having picked up my bike a month ago I’m still waiting on Haul Bikes to deliver it. I got an email a few weeks back saying the shipping had been delayed and it was going to be delivered this week. After calling them today they told me it was in Florida and was waiting for a driver to be assigned to the delivery. They are not sure if it’ll be here this week or not now.

I just want it to get here so I can go ride :(

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

freight delivery companies are so loving bad lol

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
So I’m learning. Kinda wish I hadn’t gone for the cheapest shipping option now.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

katka posted:

So I’m learning. Kinda wish I hadn’t gone for the cheapest shipping option now.

Today is new bike day for me. I used uship and the original quote had the bike coming on the 11th-20th of April. So I sympathize. Supposedly the truck broke down and they bought a new truck and then etc etc etc. All of which would have been fine if they'd called me and told me what was going on but instead I was left constantly calling them and I'd get some new date/runaround. To their credit, they did a good job transporting it and the bike is great but... ugh. It's so frustrating.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Just a heads up if you had plans on anything arriving by freight truck thats NOT Amazon right now: last week and this week the entire industry is hosed with a mix of DOT Week last week (rather park for a week than deal with any kind of inspection scrutiny) and Eid al-Fitr this week (Wed - Thursday) means everything is hosed and freight is just stopped and sitting at terminals right now. Things wont really get back to normal until Monday.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I wanna know who decided it would be a good idea to make an overpriced OEM farkle be such a needless pain in the rear end to install. Kawasaki should be way better than this

Just came in so I went to go slap it on, it simply replaces the rear passenger seat on the Ninja 400, so should just be a matter of swapping them right?

No turns out they expect you to tear down half your fairings to get to the two little holes the new bracket it needs mounts to I guess. Here it is installed, noticed how they're recessed just enough to be rage inducing:

Lucky for me I have dainty computer fingers and with the help of tape to hold the nut in place and shoving the plastics to the side just enough to get a small socket wrench in the gap between the rear fairing and the stupid bracket which is now in the way due to needing to be installed, I was able to get the bolts on and hand tighten the nut which is conveniently located on the bottom side. After putting it on the wrong way the first time of course and having to redo it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wait, why would they go to the trouble of changing the way the cover fits vs the seat? What if you want to swap the seat back in for an occasional pillion? What if you want to pop the cover off to get at storage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Coydog posted:

Wait, why would they go to the trouble of changing the way the cover fits vs the seat? What if you want to swap the seat back in for an occasional pillion? What if you want to pop the cover off to get at storage?
EXACTLY! :mad: I'm really disappointed in Kawasaki. Tempted to return the thing, but now that I've struggled to get it put on, probably just going to leave it on. I've used my bikes to carry stuff probably once in all the time I've had one.

Cover does pop off easy enough, just with the key and slides off like before, BUT if you want to swap the regular seat back in, gotta undo the whole process and remove the stupid rear end bracket.

This guy does a good overview of how dumb it is, I should have listened to him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XExp3A26jxY