Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

German probably has a word for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Psion posted:

Is there a word for respecting what you've gotten yourself into without at all ever wanting to emulate it

because I'm simultaneously impressed and vaguely uncomfortable with the amount of algae you're forcing yourself to get

it's awful, especially since I only just now realized I could just rush burglar ring with monster musk, then murder green slimes with burglar + musk for a shitload of algae.

Seaweed still a problem though, but at least it drops more frequently from ocean crab pot fish ponds

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I have two fish ponds and that's enough thank you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I need Magma Geodes because I'm running super bad on Dwarf Gadgets. I know they can come from rocks in the Mines in the lava themed levels, but are they more likely from the red rocks or any other stupid piece of data I don't already know? Got a Lava Eel pond going already, just whacking away in the mines and praying to hit my 1/26.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you could temporarily respec to the mining profession that gives you a chance of 2 geodes at once and then the one that gives a flat-out x2 chance of geodes, if you haven't already

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Respeccing is amazing, honestly. There are a ton of really solid use cases.

Farming: Artisan is very obviously the best one here, but Agriculturist is huge for the (1.5 spoiler) Qi Bean quest, as they grow in 2 days with Deluxe Speed-Gro and Agriculturist.
Mining: My favorite is Prospector, since coal is almost always useful, but like Humblebrag just said, Excavator is great if you're geode hunting (key for Museum completion or if you, idk, have 35 fish ponds and dickhole fish keep asking you for ocean stones)
Foraging: I always went for Botanist for iridium-quality forage, but Lumberjack (with Forester at level 5) is genuinely AWESOME in the early game.
Fishing: All four of the level 10 skills have good uses. I usually default to price, but had a ton of crab pots on my beach farm so it was nice to not have to re-bait them every morning.
Combat: I'm playing around with Desperado right now, no clue if it'll be any good. I default to +damage almost always for Combat.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also if on PC consider using the Stardew Predictor. And/or check the wiki about stuff. Might be worth hoeing up dirt on certain floors of the mines for instance.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
At this point I just have two chests loaded with the various museum stuff you get out of geodes, because almost all of it is of negligible value anyway and I quickly tired of winding up regretting selling some seemingly useless thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you could temporarily respec to the mining profession that gives you a chance of 2 geodes at once and then the one that gives a flat-out x2 chance of geodes, if you haven't already
have, looking forward to being able to respec out

(respeccing is great, I'm ramping up my Ancient Fruit farms now so I'm specced into "10% faster growth" because lol 10k G in return for basically a second free fertilizer

Tylana posted:

Also if on PC consider using the Stardew Predictor. And/or check the wiki about stuff. Might be worth hoeing up dirt on certain floors of the mines for instance.
On Switch, sadly, but the hoe rate is like 1/1000 so I assumed either 3.5% from Magma or 1% from Omni would be good enough! (so far it has not been, n=about 60 magma and about 100 omni)

e: also lol if you don't take the Foraging 10 perk that just gives you the little arrows to hunt down artifact spots, I'm a very very lazy man (someday I will be able to spec out of it!)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That, plus, crystalaria are a thing you can build. You only ever need to find one ocean stone, maybe two if you come across one early and want a museum reward.

E: I am a different kind of lazy so I always go with the perk that makes all forage iridium quality. Not so much for money reasons, as because it makes them take up one inventory slot instead of up to four.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Do you ever get anything useful for panning? I feel like 99% of the time I just get copper ore or coal. Not worth the inventory space for the pan.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spalec posted:

Do you ever get anything useful for panning? I feel like 99% of the time I just get copper ore or coal. Not worth the inventory space for the pan.

You can get gems, but not really worth it. At least you can wear it as a hat so it doesn't take up inventory.

1.5 spoiler: You have to pan up a quest item on the new island, but that's the only actual use case.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
regarding panning - it was always a lot more profitable and easier to gather materials through other methods. I just recently achieved Perfection and only used panning once for a required objective. spoiled below

There's a fossil on Ginger Island in the quarry river that seems more easily obtained via panning

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Poque posted:

Respeccing is amazing, honestly. There are a ton of really solid use cases.

Combat: I'm playing around with Desperado right now, no clue if it'll be any good. I default to +damage almost always for Combat.

Someone (for all I know it was you) posted a YouTube video demonstrating how, with the right gear, Desperado + Iridium Needle's special attack is amazingly powerful.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is the Mummified Bat bug on Switch real? Cause I'm sure not seeing one but also it's like 1/200 which is the same drop rate as a Prismatic Shard from monsters and I never see those either so maybe I'm just unlucky.

edit: also I spent my Walnuts poorly because I'm stuck at 13/20 to unlock the resort screen where there are more Walnuts and cannot get more (because I can't find Snake Vertebrae or Mummified Bat) - didn't realize that fuckin 15 would be locked behind a seasonal harvest from the Gourmand and boooo that stops me from getting the item to have Pierre be non-seasonal etc

edit2: lmao the beach resort can just lock you out of the desert bus for the day if Pam's going? boooo

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 8, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DACK FAYDEN posted:

edit2: lmao the beach resort can just lock you out of the desert bus for the day if Pam's going? boooo

Robin has hosed off to the beach on days when I need her to build me more fish ponds and it's infuriating. She's done it the day before a festival a couple times now too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You can drive the bus yourself if you have a desert warp totem. Robin being absent is a bigger problem yeah.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Once you've bought the recipes, you can just close down the resort permanently. Not much else comes from leaving it open, save seeing random townies in their swimsuits and bits of dialogue.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

maltesh posted:

Once you've bought the recipes, you can just close down the resort permanently. Not much else comes from leaving it open, save seeing random townies in their swimsuits and bits of dialogue.
...oh then yeah I'll just do that :shobon:

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can drive the bus yourself if you have a desert warp totem. Robin being absent is a bigger problem yeah.
This is what I ended up doing!

Any hot tips for the Pepper Rex extermination goal? They don't show up in the dangerous mines, right? Just spam Crystalarium -> Jade -> Staircase and fish for prehistoric floors?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If you’re on PC, Stardew Predictor will tell you what floors are Prehistoric Floors on any given day.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Still on Switch! :(

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is the Mummified Bat bug on Switch real? Cause I'm sure not seeing one but also it's like 1/200 which is the same drop rate as a Prismatic Shard from monsters and I never see those either so maybe I'm just unlucky.

You can get it on the switch, but it does sometimes take absolutely forever. I stacked luck food + drink (ginger ale from merchant) + ring and went on high luck days and eventually got one after a ton of runs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...oh then yeah I'll just do that :shobon:

This is what I ended up doing!

Any hot tips for the Pepper Rex extermination goal? They don't show up in the dangerous mines, right? Just spam Crystalarium -> Jade -> Staircase and fish for prehistoric floors?

They do show up in the dangerous mines!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Does planting fruit trees in the greenhouse in this arrangement still work?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cakesmith handyman posted:

They do show up in the dangerous mines!
Oh poo poo! Then I'm just gonna do that, thank you so much. Just need that bastard Qi to give me the dangerous mines quest so I can make them dangerous at will because I don't have the Statue yet :(

tildes posted:

You can get it on the switch, but it does sometimes take absolutely forever. I stacked luck food + drink (ginger ale from merchant) + ring and went on high luck days and eventually got one after a ton of runs.
lol if you don't roll your own Ginger Ale I have like 150 ginger from clearing out the west screen every day from how long it took me to get Snake Vertebrae

(thanks)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Both the sandfish and scorpion carp have a 100% chance of asking for a golden relic in the fish pond and I'm LOSING IT

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Poque posted:

Both the sandfish and scorpion carp have a 100% chance of asking for a golden relic in the fish pond and I'm LOSING IT

They're fish, what the gently caress are they going to do with THAT!?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What were you going to do with it, leave it in a chest?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GotLag posted:

What were you going to do with it, leave it in a chest?

This presumes that I am routinely finding enough specific artifacts that only show up in troves or desert dig spots hahahaha

I have found two - the first went to the museum and I sold the second (literally the day before the carp asked for it) because who needs extras??? augghhhh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They're fish, what the gently caress are they going to do with THAT!?

e: mummified bat still eludes me, but I'll get it someday. got everything else but Dangerous Mines -> Pepper Rex extermination and the Bat -> Ostrich Incubator craft (plus enough cash for the Clock, working on that)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Never sell anything. Fill your yard up with garbage and old tires.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Up yours, Pam.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I've gone through the remaining fish quests I have and the golden relic is now my only roadblock to 61 unique full ponds. Just gotta keep building.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
How does perfection/reaching the summit work in coop? If one of us crafts all the items and one of us catches all the fish, would that count for both of us? On the perfection tracker it seems to show whoever is farthest for those goals, but I can’t tell if that’s because they are shared or because they only had room for one person.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I'm so close I can taste it. At this point I've done everything I can to prep for the rest of this file except finish stockpiling green algae and seaweed for the last 11 ponds, since those will also come gradually with the existing ponds. I will go get the rest of the stone I need soon and then just push through for the full gamut!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm so happy you're making this happen and I know you're going to see your plan through. Stupid goals are 100% what this game is about and Mr Qi can suck my balls.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I wish this game had a quick start option for experimenting with different stuff. I don't want to deal with the community center stuff after doing it twice.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Poque posted:

I'm so close I can taste it.

tastes kinda fishy, i bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

blackguy32 posted:

I wish this game had a quick start option for experimenting with different stuff. I don't want to deal with the community center stuff after doing it twice.

It's called JoJo Mart