Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

guessing we will see the Bonereaper warband for Underworlds today

They were shown back in March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Boner Eapers

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh good, Nightbringer finally got a plastic sculpt.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

oh wow, no idea how I missed this!

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Winklebottom posted:

The three on the left look like they’re having the most delightful time!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Do we expect anything for Titanicus for today's Warhammer Fest "boxed games" preview? Considering AT has just had the Warmaster titan released and the volkite weapons kits announced, how likely is it that there's anything else coming soon? I don't really have a grasp of how often the various game lines are updated.

There was a Warbringer carapace belicosa option in the Warmaster artwork shown recently. Guess we'll find out soon if that's resin, or if there's whole new Warbringer box to get the other weapon.

I hope they do something for corrupted titans alongside the traitor legions book and we're not waiting 12+ months to *maybe* get resin components that cover each rule.

There's also still the Asterius knight that has rules but no AT model yet.

moths posted:

Necromunda House of Faith(?) and Redemptionist coverage

Redemptionist stuff is pretty much all shown, today is about the Delaque book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sisters stuff had all been shown as well, but I'd rather see what gets splashed into the Delaque book.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

xtothez posted:

Redemptionist stuff is pretty much all shown, today is about the Delaque book.

They did not show off Klovis the Redeemer's new model yet tho, just mentioned him!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Badass

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

there we go

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
CRAB PEOPLE. So freaking cool. Instant purchase for me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

taking bets on whether the words "cursed city" will be spoken on stream today

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wow today was a big ol' nothing.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

RIP Cursed City, you will haunt GW chat for years

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are they really loving going to just never mention Cursed City again? Holy poo poo.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

are they really loving going to just never mention Cursed City again? Holy poo poo.

lmbo it owns. just tossing it right into the memory hole

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok so Saturday is either Cursed City or massive disappointment.

Wonder if the previewed Vampire Counts were meant to be expansions?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

watching them try to ignore the cries of cursed city in the chat was pretty funny

moths posted:

Ok so Saturday is either Cursed City or massive disappointment.

Wonder if the previewed Vampire Counts were meant to be expansions?

Definitely. The CC secret envelope says something like "Oh no, Radukar escaped! We must hunt him down."

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
What a ridiculous situation. I got a copy of the game but I was hoping it would be supported the way Blackstone was.

I know they can literally just say nothing and wait a few months for this to go away with no real consequences but it's pretty absurd. They could at least confirm if it's never coming back so I can go back to not paying any attention.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

yeah radukar and his mom (?) showing up in the soulblight preview says to me that they were intended to show up in CC expansions and have instead simply been rolled into the soulblights. RIP CC, too beautiful for this world.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I keep hearing that Cursed City isn't even a particularly good game. Like certain phases are incredibly tedious or boring, and it probably needs some kind of expansion or FAQ to make it better.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I suppose it's a way to get people to tune into all of Warhammer Fest, just hoping to hear mention of the words Cursed City.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I keep hearing that Cursed City isn't even a particularly good game. Like certain phases are incredibly tedious or boring, and it probably needs some kind of expansion or FAQ to make it better.

Most people I've heard talk about it like it just fine. But I'm sure it is carried rather heavily by the quality of the minis.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Radukar's fursona and Mama Yaga's bases are too big to fit on the Cursed City board so I don't think they were planned as expansions. If anything think the original time line would have been to release CC in October to build hype for a SBGL release around now-ish (assuming that they would either be the last AoS 2e army or one of the big releases for AoS 3e if the rumor for the 'saturday special surprise' is true)

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007

Two Headed Calf posted:

Radukar's fursona and Mama Yaga's bases are too big to fit on the Cursed City board so I don't think they were planned as expansions. If anything think the original time line would have been to release CC in October to build hype for a SBGL release around now-ish (assuming that they would either be the last AoS 2e army or one of the big releases for AoS 3e if the rumor for the 'saturday special surprise' is true)

I thought the same thing, although with Kritza and Annika, plus 2 random witch hunters inserted into a book about a feral earthquake god fighting slann, there's a suspicious number of models that would fit pretty well into expansions. The two blood born on big Radukar's base are a weird fit for the board game too however, and I''d guess the soulblight battletome was produced well ahead of the Cursed City train wreck.

Maybe we'll see CC rules for these in a White Dwarf or something, it'd make them some extra sales but given Games Workshop's current form they'll probably do nothing and the models will sell out in 5 minutes regardless.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Truly this Warhammer Quest was the most Cursed City of all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Verisimilidude posted:

It was really fun when I played it with friends a few days ago.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 6, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Oh come on guys, these are challenging times. I'm sure if we give them another month or so they might actually acknowledge it exists - and in half a year maybe we'll have an actual statement on it's reprint status!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
The cursed founding.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Winklebottom posted:

Most people I've heard talk about it like it just fine. But I'm sure it is carried rather heavily by the quality of the minis.

It's really not. Cursed City started out promising but very quickly becomes a slog that takes drags twice as long as it should to play. The difficulty is mostly an absolute walk over but occasionally turns psychotic. There isn't enough ways to control or account for the rng, if the dice turn on you there's very little you can do beyond don't roll bad idiot. The heroes aren't balanced against each other, leveling up is tacked on, the campaign is hours and hours of filler between fun missions, the crises system is a huge time sink, random die rolls can add or shave hours from the campaign, there's only three basic mission types.

CC rules as written is absolutely terrible. There are plenty of games I don't like but I can see how other people can. CC initially felt fine but just gets worse the more we played, I cannot see anyone enjoying it for long.

I wonder if covid torpedoed their play testing or something.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
i just want to get space hulk

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Man, Delaque are finally getting love, and we get psychic kids, robot snakes and sentinels from the matrix.

:getin:

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's really not. Cursed City started out promising but very quickly becomes a slog that takes drags twice as long as it should to play. The difficulty is mostly an absolute walk over but occasionally turns psychotic. There isn't enough ways to control or account for the rng, if the dice turn on you there's very little you can do beyond don't roll bad idiot. The heroes aren't balanced against each other, leveling up is tacked on, the campaign is hours and hours of filler between fun missions, the crises system is a huge time sink, random die rolls can add or shave hours from the campaign, there's only three basic mission types.

CC rules as written is absolutely terrible. There are plenty of games I don't like but I can see how other people can. CC initially felt fine but just gets worse the more we played, I cannot see anyone enjoying it for long.

I wonder if covid torpedoed their play testing or something.

We found Blackstone Fortress (vanilla) to be similar, with the caveat of that game having more of a balance between ranged and melee. It was really irritating to play a mission but get no clues towards unlocking a stronghold and we ended up just cheating basically out of boredom.

I had hoped that Cursed City would be more of a narrative experience but, as you say, it's instead restricted to 3 basic mission types and the tacked on crisis system. They've really not iterated much for all some commentators were saying they had. I don't see why the game couldn't have supported a sequence of story missions and the more generic missions as side content or an alternative campaign for those who just like dungeon crawling.

We found the core mechanics really fun, rolling the 4 action dice to determine what each character can do. I think the problem is how it ties in with wounds. In games I've played, we tended to steamroll enemies when heroes were unwounded because the 4 actions, plus destiny dice, were more than enough to clear the board most of the time. But things spiral when you do take a wound- you lose actions both to the wound itself and the need to roll to heal. Not having actions to kill enemies then means you take more wounds. I'm not sure what a better system would look like but certainly in BSF we had the experience of characters being virtually one-shot after multiple missions cleared without a scratch, which was highly frustrating. It also meant take the healing priest was pretty much obligatory just to have some flexibility. I'm seeing players report the same thing with the CC equivalent.

I'm still looking forward to actually playing Cursed City (I'm on 8/60 models painted lol) but I can tell it's not a huge leap forward from Blackstone.

Drunken_Pirate fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 6, 2021

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Certainly not what I was expecting!

Edit: I mean the Delaque previews

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Salamanders have come a long way from Codex: Armageddon where they couldn't use Land Speeders. It's nice that someone other than Ultramarines get to be the flagship Astartes.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Drunken_Pirate posted:

We found Blackstone Fortress (vanilla) to be similar, with the caveat of that game having more of a balance between ranged and melee. It was really irritating to play a mission but get no clues towards unlocking a stronghold and we ended up just cheating basically out of boredom.

I had hoped that Cursed City would be more of a narrative experience but, as you say, it's instead restricted to 3 basic mission types and the tacked on crisis system. They've really not iterated much for all some commentators were saying they had. I don't see why the game couldn't have supported a sequence of story missions and the more generic missions as side content or an alternative campaign for those who just like dungeon crawling.

We found the core mechanics really fun, rolling the 4 action dice to determine what each character can do. I think the problem is how it ties in with wounds. In games I've played, we tended to steamroll enemies when heroes were unwounded because the 4 actions, plus destiny dice, were more than enough to clear the board most of the time. But things spiral when you do take a wound- you lose actions both to the wound itself and the need to roll to heal. Not having actions to kill enemies then means you take more wounds. I'm not sure what a better system would look like but certainly in BSF we had the experience of characters being virtually one-shot after multiple missions cleared without a scratch, which was highly frustrating. It also meant take the healing priest was pretty much obligatory just to have some flexibility. I'm seeing players report the same thing with the CC equivalent.

I'm still looking forward to actually playing Cursed City (I'm on 8/60 models painted lol) but I can tell it's not a huge leap forward from Blackstone.

Lmao. Yes your third paragraph definitely still applies.

I was thinking of using the infected ailment, where you put a token on a die slot and dice placed there can only ever be a 1 would be more consistent for grievous wounds. We had an event that fatigued everyone forever in a mission (fatigue sets all your activation dice to 1s, usually for one turn only) and that across turns was a huge power reduction, plus the defensive reaction attacks couldn't be done by most classes, it was terrifying. This would make the stalwarts insanely good but they already are tbh. Also might need to buff enemies somehow though, maybe let them use random entrances or be driven off after their activation instead of before it.

It sucks how some characters have exclusive access to inflicting certain ailments. Glaurio is the only hero that can inflict trapped, which is a must have on boss fight missions. Bosses are immune to being stunned on their home turf but not immune to being stapled to the floor. Octren is the only one who can curse (until Cleona levels a few times), which is very nice for killing big boys. Literally no one can inflict infected though as far as I can tell.

radlum
May 13, 2013
On the one hand, the more I read about Cursed City as a game, the less interested in it I am; on the other hand, when I see the painted models, I wish I had gotten one of the boxes before they ran out.

I understand not adressing Cursed City during the stream, but besides the crab, the whole stream today was a bust for me. Hopefully Saturday delivers something interesting.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I really don't understand why GW doesn't address this stuff head on. They lose nothing with a "It's out of production, we had ___ happen, we've looked at recovering it but it's not happening right now." and it seems like that would help a lot of people chill out. Didn't they even do that when the Sylvaneth stuff got hosed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

They sold all the ones they wanted, and if that number is high enough there is no reason to spend the money doing it again. Really, it is super obvious it is likely down to them not wanting to waste resources printing the non-minis parts of it. Who knows what those factories are making right now for them!

The main thing we don't know is how badly BSF expansions did. If they looked at those numbers and then at Cursed City, maybe making a side product to a side product doesn't make as much sense as just tossing those minis in the next AoS Army Book and calling it a day.