Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

danbanana posted:

There's a whole thing right now with exploding beers because breweries are putting unfermented sugars (fruit) in their unpasteurized beers which is dumb and dangerous and wasteful.
That might be the main reason places around me stopped selling this particular beer - it was probably blowing up on other customers, too. If it blew up in their cars they would be smelling fruity-beer for months while driving.

I had some cans also blow up from the top openings while stored on a pantry floor, but thought because I let the house get too hot. I didn't realize it was improper fermenting. I discovered if I kept the beers cold they would not blow up on me (not yet, at least).

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Shabadu posted:

I lived up in the lakes region for a while and we just called it Skanklin and not because of any fond association for Ska. Back in ~02 there wasn't anything of value up there, now at least there's Cantebury Aleworks. Otherwise I just drive through on the way to the Northeast Kingdom.

Well, at least now there's something worth checking out next time. I also heard they're going to change the town name to Franklin Falls. Really trying to class the joint up a bit, I guess. Certainly I can't blame them for trying to revitalize a bit, they don't really have anywhere else to go but up. I haven't been to Canterbury Aleworks in a long time, but their taproom/brewhouse was always pretty cool.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone have a recommendation for a good alternative to Yuengling Black & Tan? I've never been much of a beer drinker but I recently discovered these and I enjoy them, but the company is super chuddy and I'd rather not support them. Thanks in advance.

(I can't stress enough that I know almost nothing about beer in general)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good alternative to Yuengling Black & Tan? I've never been much of a beer drinker but I recently discovered these and I enjoy them, but the company is super chuddy and I'd rather not support them. Thanks in advance.

(I can't stress enough that I know almost nothing about beer in general)

Where do you live?

That stuff is a blend of a porter and their lager, I think? So try a lower-ABV porter or a brown ale or maybe a dunkel.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Now that OEC gets distro here I've been crushing their coolship Black Lager.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

This is decent enough. Iirc it's brewed by Matt Brewing or whatever the name is of the company that makes Saranac.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

danbanana posted:

Where do you live?

That stuff is a blend of a porter and their lager, I think? So try a lower-ABV porter or a brown ale or maybe a dunkel.

I’m currently in Northwest Florida, Panama City, specifically. Probably moving to Ohio in a couple of months.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Try out Maduro from Cigar City Brewing.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
Keep an eye out for any black lagers brewed near you. Most of them should be a decent analogue

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

I’m currently in Northwest Florida, Panama City, specifically. Probably moving to Ohio in a couple of months.

Out of the fire, into the frying pan...

Anyway, yeah, Maduro is a good place to start for your area. My go-to suggestion is find a place by you that sells beer by singles. Try anything porter, brown ale, dark lager, etc. Note what you like and try more next time.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve got some stuff to try out now.

I’m fully aware going from Florida to Ohio is basically a lateral move, but the housing market is completely bonkers in this part of Florida, and I’ve got family in Ohio.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve got some stuff to try out now.

I’m fully aware going from Florida to Ohio is basically a lateral move, but the housing market is completely bonkers in this part of Florida, and I’ve got family in Ohio.

Oh hey, cool! There’s a crap ton of excellent breweries in Ohio, whether you’re nearer to Cleveland, Columbus, or Cinci. In fact, the more I travel, the more I’m impressed by how stupidly good the breweries up here really are. Whereabouts are you looking to move?

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh hey, cool! There’s a crap ton of excellent breweries in Ohio, whether you’re nearer to Cleveland, Columbus, or Cinci. In fact, the more I travel, the more I’m impressed by how stupidly good the breweries up here really are. Whereabouts are you looking to move?

We’ve been looking at the Dayton area. My brother lives in Columbus.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Everything I’ve ever had from Columbus Brewing Co has been on point.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Everything I’ve ever had from Columbus Brewing Co has been on point.

It’s a very good middle of the road brewery, everything is always solid, especially on tap. Hoofhearted, Wolfs Ridge and Seventh Son are probably my top three favorite local ones, though I’ve been enjoying Derive quite a bit lately. Collaboration beers are always the best beers, and they’ve been doing a lot.

It’s funny because Brewdog came over here to establish their brewery and US distribution from the UK, and they are easily the worst brewery in town. Which says a lot because I have roughly 200$ of shares from them, just because I’ve always wanted to own part of a brewery and can’t stop myself from buying more every time they offer them for sale. At least their yearly AGM party is fun.

Can anyone recommend me any breweries in the Alexandria/DC area? Went to Port City Brewery last night, which was alright... the Metro Red was pretty enjoyable, and their Beach Drive Golden Ale was super drinkable. Their hazy IPA was a miss in my book, I’m one of those tasteless bastards that really enjoys a good NEIPA.

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

We’ve been looking at the Dayton area. My brother lives in Columbus.

Cool! Dayton has really been reviving quite a bit recently, and there’s a really active hiking community out there if you like that thing... in the before fore they had an awesome Ale-O-Ween beerfest with local breweries and tons of drunks in great costumes. The Air Force Museum is also a good time and free. Plus they have the next closest Tudors Biscuit House to West Virginia, and if you’ve never been, it’s a bona fide WV institution

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nnnotime posted:

Not sure why this particular beer blows up that easily. Appears to expand if the temperature gets right over 80 degrees. The beers were attached to the hard-plastic holders, so there is increased pressure against the tops if the cans expand.

I tried a few, but they sours didn't grab me.

lol at least it was cans.
<glances nervously at 3 year old glass bottle of Illusion Of Safety>

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend me any breweries in the Alexandria/DC area?

Aslin has a location in Alexandria.

In DC are DC Brau, Right Proper, Bluejacket, and Other Half opened a location last year.

There’s more in the area but those are my favorites.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

OSU_Matthew posted:

It’s funny because Brewdog came over here to establish their brewery and US distribution from the UK, and they are easily the worst brewery in town.

I'm far from a fan of theirs, but they're not even close to the worst brewery in town, lol

If you're talking strictly about business practices, they still aren't the worst in town if you're willing to include places that were open two years ago.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Cool! Dayton has really been reviving quite a bit recently, and there’s a really active hiking community out there if you like that thing... in the before fore they had an awesome Ale-O-Ween beerfest with local breweries and tons of drunks in great costumes. The Air Force Museum is also a good time and free. Plus they have the next closest Tudors Biscuit House to West Virginia, and if you’ve never been, it’s a bona fide WV institution

That sounds really cool. If all goes well we should be in that area before the end of summer.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Which says a lot because I have roughly 200$ of shares from them, just because I’ve always wanted to own part of a brewery and can’t stop myself from buying more every time they offer them for sale.

You're a sucker, dude.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend me any breweries in the Alexandria/DC area? Went to Port City Brewery last night, which was alright... the Metro Red was pretty enjoyable, and their Beach Drive Golden Ale was super drinkable. Their hazy IPA was a miss in my book, I’m one of those tasteless bastards that really enjoys a good NEIPA.

seconding Right Proper and DC Brau is generally good, too. for beer-centric restaurants, Lost Dog Cafe and Pizza Paradiso are tight and have multiple locations; might even find some lovely RVA beer in them!

non-beer recommendation is to eat all the Ethiopian and Persian food.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

OSU_Matthew posted:

It’s a very good middle of the road brewery, everything is always solid, especially on tap. Hoofhearted, Wolfs Ridge and Seventh Son are probably my top three favorite local ones, though I’ve been enjoying Derive quite a bit lately. Collaboration beers are always the best beers, and they’ve been doing a lot.

It’s funny because Brewdog came over here to establish their brewery and US distribution from the UK, and they are easily the worst brewery in town. Which says a lot because I have roughly 200$ of shares from them, just because I’ve always wanted to own part of a brewery and can’t stop myself from buying more every time they offer them for sale. At least their yearly AGM party is fun.

What do you recommend from Hoofhearted? They distribute here but I’ve never tried anything of theirs because the name just screams gimmick brewery to me.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol at least it was cans.
<glances nervously at 3 year old glass bottle of Illusion Of Safety>

extremely apropos beer name

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

prayer group posted:

You're a sucker, dude.

No disagreements here! I don’t feel too bad about it though, I’ve gotten about that much in free beer out of it over the past few years... during one AGM they were giving out free pale ale six picks to people and at the end of the night I asked the dude if I could have another because they had a bunch left and he just loaded me up.

Nestharken posted:

I'm far from a fan of theirs, but they're not even close to the worst brewery in town, lol

If you're talking strictly about business practices, they still aren't the worst in town if you're willing to include places that were open two years ago.

You’re absolutely right, holy crap the Platform taproom shitshow was a surprise. Their employees were royally hosed, I’m never touching Platform avain. But InBev bought them, so I guess it’s maybe not as much of a surprise. And loving Actual brewery, glad that’s gone, but horrifying it took so many people saying the dude was super molestey for anything to happen.

Moreso the worst in terms of their flagship beer and bad marketing/mediocre overpriced taproom food. That being said, one of their local employees started doing smaller experimental brews, Nanodog Nick, and I got to try a bunch of his stuff and talk to him during a recent collaboration release event, and his stuff is excellent, just on a whole other level than their standard fare. I’d be encouraged if they give him more leeway and distribution.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

What do you recommend from Hoofhearted? They distribute here but I’ve never tried anything of theirs because the name just screams gimmick brewery to me.

Basically everything! They’re really IPA heavy, so if hoppy is your thing you can’t go wrong. Last beer I had from there was the 60$ Nachos, which was really tasty. Once I get a few more batches and kegging going, Imma try brewing something similar.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Aslin has a location in Alexandria.

In DC are DC Brau, Right Proper, Bluejacket, and Other Half opened a location last year.

There’s more in the area but those are my favorites.

Much appreciated! Going to hit up a few of those here tonight. Recommended breweries are my favorite part of traveling, and it’s such a good feeling to be vaccinated and start going out again.

funkybottoms posted:

seconding Right Proper and DC Brau is generally good, too. for beer-centric restaurants, Lost Dog Cafe and Pizza Paradiso are tight and have multiple locations; might even find some lovely RVA beer in them!

non-beer recommendation is to eat all the Ethiopian and Persian food.

:hmmyes:

I do love me some injera and halal always hits the spot! Adding all of these to my list for next time if we don’t make it this trip.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i miss very little about living up there, but the variety of cuisine is one of the big ones. favorite Persian spot is Ravi Kabob in Arlington if you get the chance. lots of really good Indian and Korean food, too!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

:hmmyes:

Or make black and tans yourself. Get fav lager get fav stout and go at it

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I haven't had it in a while but mississippi mud was a college favorite because 1) cheap 2) tastes ok 3) comes in a jug with an alligator on it

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
You can start a blue grass band with it too

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend me any breweries in the Alexandria/DC area?

Oh gently caress sorry I missed this. Waddup nova goon?
How far are you willing to travel? Are you a Virginian (do you have a car?) Or are you tryina get hosed up (bike / metro only).

Also Funkybottoms, thank you.

This tastes like you saved it from being something it really shouldn't have been.
Not revolutionary, and not so drinkable that I won't wonder what the gently caress happened to all my beers.
Solid sender, goodbest to stretch out over an hour or so, fine in a can but better in a glass. I like it.
It has a great smell (citra? mosaic?) and tastes like I would expect a galaxy to. Thanks for the rec.

If def has more than 7 IBU though.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i trashed this beer before, right? well, it's marginally better than the previous iteration thanks to a change in yeast, but still too bitter. it has the highest hop load (citra, galaxy, and el dorado) of any of our dipas, so next time we're gonna cut that back a bit. if that doesn't work, well, maybe we'll get lucky and run out of labels. if you come across any altamont, i like that one quite a bit.

brewed our best dipa- leigh street- with our new mosaic today, so i'm excited to drink that in a few weeks.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m in Denver for the week, any newer breweries (~ 5 years) I should check out? Currently have some Bierstadt, Odd 13, and La Cumbre (from ABQ) in the parents’ fridge. The big rear end liquor store by them doesn’t have any Our Mutual Friend apparently.

Side note: when checking out the guy that helped me was wearing a sweatshirt from the last place I served beers in Portland. It closed over 20 years ago.

funkybottoms posted:

brewed our best dipa- leigh street- with our new mosaic today, so i'm excited to drink that in a few weeks.

Love me some mosaic DIPAs, send some to the PNW please.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

highme posted:

I’m in Denver for the week, any newer breweries (~ 5 years) I should check out? Currently have some Bierstadt, Odd 13, and La Cumbre (from ABQ) in the parents’ fridge. The big rear end liquor store by them doesn’t have any Our Mutual Friend apparently.

Side note: when checking out the guy that helped me was wearing a sweatshirt from the last place I served beers in Portland. It closed over 20 years ago.

Love me some mosaic DIPAs, send some to the PNW please.

There's probably three breweries in just Ballard in Seattle that have Mosaic based DIPA and IPA on the regular. Cloudburst, Stoup, and Reuben's all would have them. I can't buy beer without there being a Mosaic, Galaxy, or Strata hop in something from that brewery right now. I'm not sure how much makes it south of the Columbia river, but I can't believe there's not a ton of places in Portland who still do them. Unless they're mostly chasing the trends and making milkshakes in cans, then my condolences.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yeah, I was just wanting a goon brewed Mosaic DIPA from somewhere I don’t normally drink beer from.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

highme posted:

Black Project should be newer? Not sure but throwing it out there since I know my first time trying their beer was in the last 3 or 4 years

Have heard Baere (located across the street to TRVE which is OG almost coming up to 10 yrs now), Ratio (a block away from OMF), and Cerebral via word of mouth

air- fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 6, 2021

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

highme posted:

I’m in Denver for the week, any newer breweries (~ 5 years) I should check out?

What's Denver (and the state of Colorado) like right now in terms of covid regulations and rules. I just booked a flight there for a quick get away in two weeks and haven't really looked up to see how locked down it is.

I assume masks whenever indoors and when you can distance yourself from people but are there any weird rules that normal nonresidents wouldn't know about?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

atothesquiz posted:

What's Denver (and the state of Colorado) like right now in terms of covid regulations and rules. I just booked a flight there for a quick get away in two weeks and haven't really looked up to see how locked down it is.

I assume masks whenever indoors and when you can distance yourself from people but are there any weird rules that normal nonresidents wouldn't know about?

Nothing too much, a lot of breweries have table service so you don't have a queue at the bar. I'd say Black Project is a must if you're into sours and fruity beers, I love Ratio beerworks (they have an amazing ipa Sparks Fly and their delightful Saison Dear You.) Epic Brewing is pretty good largeish place, Also good Our Mutual Friend which has some delicious smelling BBQ nearby. Also finally something a little off the beaten track on South Broadway Dos Luces. Its all Chiche and Pulque lots of interesting flavors and a style of "beer" I've never had elsewhere, and if you have some folks with sensitivities the whole place is Gluten Free.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

highme posted:

Yeah, I was just wanting a goon brewed Mosaic DIPA from somewhere I don’t normally drink beer from.

That would make so much more sense, and I didn't see the brewery down there on the label.

The Cloudburst rec would stand for anyone who loves hops though. It's the brewer who put Elysium on the map and is hop-tastic.

highme
May 25, 2001

atothesquiz posted:

Coming from Oregon it feels more open. I hit full vax right before coming out, and Oregon was spiking hard, so that's probably helping my perception. We've gone out to dinner twice once Sushi Den and once to new(ish?) Breckenridge Brewing spot in Littleton off Santa Fe. We ate inside Breckenridge because it was too cold for my mom but there was a vast outdoor seating area that I would have had no problem hanging out at 6 months ago without a vax. Sushi spot had a 90 minute limit for your visit, Breckenridge was 2 hours indoors. Not sure if that's because they're in different municipalities or not.

Jhet posted:

The Cloudburst rec would stand for anyone who loves hops though. It's the brewer who put Elysium on the map and is hop-tastic.

Will look to see if we can get that, if not my buddy that started making business trips back to Seattle will have to pick some up.

air- posted:

Black Project should be newer? Not sure but throwing it out there since I know my first time trying their beer was in the last 3 or 4 years

Have heard Baere (located across the street to TRVE which is OG almost coming up to 10 yrs now), Ratio (a block away from OMF), and Cerebral via word of mouth

I can get Black Project at home, will definitely check it. Saw some stuff from Baere at Tipsy's so I may go back and grab some since I'm thinking of paying for a checked bag to get some beers home.

Going to Jakes in downtown Littleton tonight with my siblings. Looks like I'll be drinking some delicious crispy bois from Weldwerks & Bierstadt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

highme posted:

We've gone out to dinner twice once Sushi Den and once to new(ish?)

Excuse the derail - how was that? Was always curious about them and seeing you went twice must mean something good!

I have another buddy heading to Denver over memorial day and he was asking about recs, but I remember really liking Izakaya Den... just that I haven't been there in over a decade