Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Atrocious Joe posted:

You see democracy defined in the West a lot as direct elections for the chief executive and national legislature, but even the US doesn't qualify by that standard.

Yeah, thats the irony, the US electoral system is illiberal when you get down to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
that julius nyerere quote about
amerika being a one-party state with two parties

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

You see democracy defined in the West a lot as direct elections for the chief executive and national legislature, but even the US doesn't qualify by that standard.

where i live democracy is defined as "political arrangement with rule of the majority, that protects personal and political rights of all its citizens"

this is technically true, because people we don't like simply aren't citizens :v:

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

edit: gently caress, i got so excited to post this i forgot to check if it was already posted

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

e-dt posted:

edit: gently caress, i got so excited to post this i forgot to check if it was already posted

well it's not like i'm gonna go back and figure out what you were gonna post so i guess i'll just have to move on with my life never knowing what i missed out on

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I done started a cybernetics thread, sharing the link since I know some posters ITT were interested.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, thats the irony, the US electoral system is illiberal when you get down to it.

Even if we abolished the electoral college and first pass the post voting it wouldn't matter at this point. Because capitalists have effectively privatized almost all of the governments powers and functions.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/afrikanstruggle/status/1390140271711559693

In conclusion, Black Hammer is a world of contrasts.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

https://twitter.com/afrikanstruggle/status/1390140271711559693

In conclusion, Black Hammer is a world of contrasts.

he has drawn nerd glasses on the poster, imo

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

turd in my singlet posted:

I done started a cybernetics thread, sharing the link since I know some posters ITT were interested.

Gonna bookmark that thread to read this evening :thumbsup:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fairly sure black hammer is running on the principle of all publicity is good publicity and being intentionally provocative

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
not to defend Black Hammer at all, but the painting's probably Frederick Douglass, who rocked the same hairstyle/beard but also favored the black bowtie you can kind of make out.

So they can be dunked on instead for it being him given how much time later in life he put into criticizing separatist towns on the frontier.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mandoric posted:

not to defend Black Hammer at all, but the painting's probably Frederick Douglass, who rocked the same hairstyle/beard but also favored the black bowtie you can kind of make out.

So they can be dunked on instead for it being him given how much time later in life he put into criticizing separatist towns on the frontier.

No it's this

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
You never saw Marx and Frederick Douglass at the same time. Makes you think.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's wild to think they were contemporaries

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Marx is handsome.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
looks dope in pics. wouldn't want to smell him

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Isn't their stated mission to just cause dumb controversies and pull back to garner sympathy?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Nonsense posted:

Marx is handsome.

So is Frederick Douglass imo

Both very 'daddy'

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

apropos to nothing posted:

the other white group is called the uhuru solidarity movement. the guy in charge of both is called chairman omali yeshitela and they all call him the chairman and his claim to fame was being arrested in the 60s for defacing a mural in the st pete Florida town hall building

there's a little chapter of them here that I ran into tabling at the park near my apartment last year, they were nice and I bought a funny shirt from 'em. only when I went home and read the literature they gave me did it register that they were all white people in their teens or early 20s lol. I wish those folks well doing whatever it is they do I guess

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

So is Frederick Douglass imo

Both very 'daddy'

more and more people are saying this

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Getting dangerously horny in this thread

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gay horny is legal

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A couple years ago I was at Karl Marx Haus with my mom, who was visiting me in Germany. There is a placard on the wall outside of it that showed Marx's head in profile, and my hairstyle at the time wasn't so far off. My mom decided to get a picture of me beneath it, and when she did so, some Chinese tourists also took snapshots of me and gave me big thumbs up.

I never felt so validated in my life.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

A couple years ago I was at Karl Marx Haus with my mom, who was visiting me in Germany. There is a placard on the wall outside of it that showed Marx's head in profile, and my hairstyle at the time wasn't so far off. My mom decided to get a picture of me beneath it, and when she did so, some Chinese tourists also took snapshots of me and gave me big thumbs up.

lmao that rules

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:golfclap:

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Lobe posted:

hell yeah dude!!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

in diesem hauze vee say open biden

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Mr. Lobe posted:

That's a cool photo and a nice memory made with your mom.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Mr. Lobe posted:

lol

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

getting photographed like some sort of zoo animal by Chinese tourists is really funny, happened to me several times

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AntonJaegermm/status/1389969289948577793

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

a Loving Dog posted:

getting photographed like some sort of zoo animal by Chinese tourists is really funny, happened to me several times

Felt a little more like Trier was their Disneyland, and I was their Mickey Mouse costume analog (a reasonable visual proximity of a youngish Marx)

After all, zoo animals don't get thumbs up :smug:

Trier is an incredibly beautiful town though, I heartily recommend visiting it if any of you get the chance. May is a great time because the strawberry stands are up in the ancient marketplace.

Also, thanks guys :blush:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Continuing my reading of Philippe J. Bernard's "Planning in the Soviet Union"

\

What stood out to me in these sections was how the USSR made significant strides towards "deconcentrating" (the author specifically says it's not "decentralizing") its control of industries after Stalin's era. Whereas it used to be that almost all industries were controlled by a single department, usually based in Moscow, that directed the operations of all industries regardless of its geographical location, there was a significant shift towards the sovnarkhoz, not only to reduce the amount of unnecessary rail traffic from uncoordinated transportation of goods cross-country due to a control scheme that didn't sufficiently factor in location, but also to be able to better take advantage of local/regional resources.

That, combined with the description of how small enterprises, and certain types of consumer goods production would fall under the control of municipal / local authorities, has done much to disabuse me of this picture of a "centrally planned" economy where everything is run from the top down by a gigantic bureaucracy inside the capital that determines how many shoes need to be made by any one factory.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its important to remember that a lot of propaganda we grew up on about the soviet union, when it was based on reality in the first place, was almost always describing WW2 or just after. the united states was similarly running everything out of the white house at the time, but its only efficient when you NEED a rail shipment of rifle ammo right loving now.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
As promised, here's Through Soviet Russia by AS Hooper in its entirety. Hasty phone camera pics but it should be readable, though it's not ideal.

Full Pamphlet Album

Here's a representative bit where he's in Ukraine. The excerpt about the Indian tea planter being extremely confused and then the description of the people's court are both great imo.

The bits towards the end where he describes his completely uneventful journey home while the Great Purge is at its height really paints a different picture from the usual Applebaum-esque 'climate of fear everywhere' take on it. The postscript where it's made clear that the Soviet offer of military alliance with the western allies was well-known publicly in May 1939 is particularly interesting too. Hooper is however an extremely horny man and passes comment on every single woman he encounters in his travels, so you've got to read past that poo poo lmao

Sorry this is all images and not searchable text but I spent years transcribing books into digital form as my day job and doing it recreationally is more than I can stand to do now.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
This is really interesting. Thanks for uploading it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flavius Aetass posted:

This is really interesting. Thanks for uploading it.

https://youtu.be/V9O94UTDAJQ

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

John Charity Spring posted:

The bits towards the end where he describes his completely uneventful journey home while the Great Purge is at its height really paints a different picture from the usual Applebaum-esque 'climate of fear everywhere' take on it.

i can't remember if i posted this here but i'm dropping it again. it's kotkin describing the era of the purges:

Terror had seized the privileged precincts of society—the postmidnight knock, the search and confiscations in the presence of summoned neighbors (“witnesses” were required by law), the wailing of spouses and children, the disappearances without trace, the fruitless pleading for information at NKVD reception windows, the desperate queues outside transit prisons and unheard screams inside, the bribes to guards for scraps of information on whereabouts. But ordinary Soviet inhabitants mostly did not feel an immediate threat of arrest. As the morbid joke had it, when uniformed men arrived and said “NKVD,” people answered, “You’ve got the wrong apartment—the Communists live upstairs.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

i can't remember if i posted this here but i'm dropping it again. it's kotkin describing the era of the purges:

Terror had seized the privileged precincts of society—the postmidnight knock, the search and confiscations in the presence of summoned neighbors (“witnesses” were required by law), the wailing of spouses and children, the disappearances without trace, the fruitless pleading for information at NKVD reception windows, the desperate queues outside transit prisons and unheard screams inside, the bribes to guards for scraps of information on whereabouts. But ordinary Soviet inhabitants mostly did not feel an immediate threat of arrest. As the morbid joke had it, when uniformed men arrived and said “NKVD,” people answered, “You’ve got the wrong apartment—the Communists live upstairs.”

that owns actually