Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Asteroid Alert posted:

Xbox Series X has quietly become my favorite console. The best version of cross-gen games always available. Got to love it.

Very interested in seeing what happens when we start to get pure next-gen games.

So far the ps5s slightly better ssd isn't paying off but that might change when games are actually pushing some data through the tubes.

I thought besides that both systems were mostly comparable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
True, they're more alike than any prior generation. I don't expect the same bloodbath of the PS4 and 360 gens but it'd be surprising if the Series doesn't end up with the better version for the majority of games.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
XSX has a little more headroom in terms of power. It's a really small, even negligible difference at most. Still, having 120FPS on cross-gen games has me sold. Hitman 3 also proved that the development pipeline for XSX is much more easier than PS5 at this point. MLB The Show 21 has some hiccups on XSX when compared to PS5, but that's because Sony's team knows their console much better.

Then again, PS5 has the whole PS4 library and exclusives, so best of both worlds.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 6, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Laserface posted:

So far the ps5s slightly better ssd isn't paying off but that might change when games are actually pushing some data through the tubes.

Xboxs advantage is Microsoft is far better at the software side hence the FPS boost stuff we get.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Microsoft also has continuity in their devkits from the PC side. Seems like with Sony there's always a small learning curve, before dev teams start to realize the full potential.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The SSD difference between PS5 and Series is an interesting one. The Series is definitely fast at loading but is 2-2.5x slower than the PS5 and this bears out in PS5- and Series-native games where visible load times are a thing. (e.g. a 5ish second load time on Series is 2 seconds on PS5)

It's pretty safe to say that any next-gen-only multiplatform game that are attempting a "no loading" experience or data streaming will be designed with the Series speeds as the bottleneck.

Returnal is an interesting case here since it can leverage the full speed of the PS5's storage without having to worry about other platforms. The game leverages the PS5's fast loading pretty extensively to make the gameplay as seamless as possible. So when teleporting, there's a set teleport delay where your character is deconstructed and reconstructed, fairly quickly, without anything noticeable in terms of load issues. A theoretical Series version would probably require a more pronounced delay where instead of the around 5 seconds it takes it would potentially take 8-10+ seconds.

The game also does make use of at least one "corridor load" depending on your specific approach a little way into the game, you can sometimes notice a micro-stutter from the loading of the new area as walking down the corridor is attempting to be a seamless gap from one world to the other.

Games also make pretty impressive use of the haptic triggers and other controller fanciness on PS5, but even if one were designing a full PS5 exclusive the console allows all of this to be disabled for accessibility purposes (as well as if you remote into a PS5 with a DualShock 4 from a PS4 or PC/Mac), so a game still needs a "basic controller" playing method as a fallback, so for example Returnal has two functions mapped on the left trigger which is determined by a half-press versus a full press (and there is resistance in the trigger to make a half press more reliably doable) but one of the default controller layouts also has these two functions on separate buttons (and the controller is customizable).

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Asteroid Alert posted:

XSX has a little more headroom in terms of power. It's a really small, even negligible difference at most.

It is probably negligible for the CPU, unless the SmartShift stuff on PS5 has a bigger penalty then what we've been led to believe, and that's what matters most, but I wouldn't call a 20% GPU compute and 25% memory bandwidth increase negligible.

The only unknown factors are the I/O advantage on PS5 and, as ever, how developers choose to take advantage of the XSX headroom.

All things being equal, it'd be very hard for the PS5 versions to ever come out on top but as shown multiple times, it's expected that many games will aim for higher pixelcounts or other bling on the XSX version that end up making them worse than on PS5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just wish someone had made backpaddles standard

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Barudak posted:

I assume it’s because of however much they have to pay to SCUF, lest they get sued like Valve did with the Steam controller.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

Allegedly SCUF owns a patent on this technology which means they get paid for any controllers implementing it, and the controllers are already fairly pricey and complex without extra buttons and having to pay a patent holder.

Sony had the right idea, albeit staggeringly late in the PS4 gen, with a separately-sold back paddle attachment that worked brilliantly, and there are indications one for the DualSense is planned and hopefully not far off.

With Xbox you have the Elite controller but it doesn't have a screenshot button.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Laserface posted:

The series X general power advantage is much more important than Sony's SSD. That was the only spec they win in so Cerny ran with it.

But because Xbox went with full RDNA 2 it's taking a bit to really see the gulf widen. PS5 dev kits were out way earlier.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm interested to see if multiplat devs make use of haptic feedback now Sony has it as well. Xbox One games were making great use of it when the console launched (made a big difference in Forza) but it was generally overlooked by many multiplatform developers. Now the PS5 has it as well I hope it catches on more even if usage does seem a bit limited, it's great for racing games.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
The haptics in the Dual Sense are so different than the Xbox's rumble triggers that they can't really be compared.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The series X general power advantage is much more important than Sony's SSD.
Hard disagree, I/O is the wildcard here because since the CPUs are effectively the same, it's the one factor that can truly impact game design and player experience where one system is supposedly way ahead of the other. The I/O advantage on PS5 is much bigger in both raw terms and potential impact than its GPU disadvantage.
And the on-paper spec disadvantage is moot due to how easy it is to go beyond the rendering budget, as we've seen with BoneX / PS4 Pro games where the Pro version is better because it's not being pushed as hard as the Bone.

quote:

But because Xbox went with full RDNA 2 it's taking a bit to really see the gulf widen.
Yeah, it's still unclear how much the GPUs really differ other than CU counts and clock frequency, but I wouldn't expect any major surprises there. Is VRS or similar been confirmed on the PS5 yet?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

I'm interested to see if multiplat devs make use of haptic feedback now Sony has it as well. Xbox One games were making great use of it when the console launched (made a big difference in Forza) but it was generally overlooked by many multiplatform developers. Now the PS5 has it as well I hope it catches on more even if usage does seem a bit limited, it's great for racing games.

They probably wont. And if they try we will wish they didnt. Hd rumble on switch has some absolutely horrendous 3rd party implementations.

Sonys whole strat is designed around their games tho so as long as 1st party showcases the tech well they probably dont care.

Same with the power argument. The power gulf with the xbox doesnt concern sony because their devs will design exclusives that push the state of the art in gfx despite the console's limitations (like just look what ND did with a base ps4 last gen) and they expect 3rd parties to treat them as the lead platform anyway due to their market lead and players to put up with any issues on 3rd party that might arise because they bought the console for access to exclusives, not raw power.
Nintendo operates very similarly. Xbox is on a very different course.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

as a rough idea here's the contract agreements provided by sony/microsoft/nintendo and you can see the large difference of opinion each has to what should be redacted:
microsoft: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.551.23.pdf
nintendo: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.554.1.pdf
sony: they asked for the entire document to be sealed
valve: request to seal all as well

the judge's comments on the requests to seal are really telling so i'll quote a couple of examples to give you an idea of the judge's mindset of what's relevant:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.547.0.pdf

judge effectively is saying any nda'ed contract should be public in this case, which is a strange consideration tbh. then again the judge is pulling in non-parties to the case at apple's request and having them create reams of sensitive commercial data on developers who work with them that would otherwise not exist, really strange case all around. as an example valve (non-party) was told to generate pricing history covers 4-5 years for every title and give revenue splits for every discount/sale period per title - the size of that request is comical

e: here's valve's response to the subpoena for an idea of how extremely broad the requests were https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.346.2_2.pdf
as a small update microsoft had their seal request approved with the reason that it was a contract specifically between epic and microsoft (but it looks like a regular one from the redacted version). for nintendo, sony and valve though it's going public:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.594.0.pdf
The Court DENIES Nintendo’s administrative motion to seal its Content License and Distribution Agreement. As the Court stated when considering similar requests by Sony and Valve to seal their general template agreements and policies with developers:

i still don't get the rationale that makes microsoft's contract exempt rather than any epic-only clauses in the contract, but that's where we are with this case

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I need everybody in Dragon Quest Builders 2 to shut the gently caress up and just Let Me Build Things

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

The haptics in the Dual Sense are so different than the Xbox's rumble triggers that they can't really be compared.

Yeah, some games make use of it in a pretty wild way. WRC 9 is particularly sophisticated with it. You feel the controller "kick" whenever your rally car's exhaust backfires, and the resistance in the "pedals" (triggers) changes depending on what type of surface you happen to be driving on.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i like to play on the xbox i like the xbox becquse it has good ram and aklso because it has fun games i like farcry 4 and 5 but not the cave man far cry that game was stupid and lame i also like playing fall out 4

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Toaster Beef posted:

I need everybody in Dragon Quest Builders 2 to shut the gently caress up and just Let Me Build Things

lol it does feel like the tutorial will never end. I'm still having fun though, but I'm pressing 'A' lot to move on to the next thing.

Nooner posted:

i like to play on the xbox i like the xbox becquse it has good ram and aklso because it has fun games i like farcry 4 and 5 but not the cave man far cry that game was stupid and lame i also like playing fall out 4

same

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Far Cry 5 is so loving bad. I tried to replay it and it is so completely up its own rear end.

4 rules, loved doing coop takedowns of the outposts.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

They probably wont. And if they try we will wish they didnt. Hd rumble on switch has some absolutely horrendous 3rd party implementations.

Most third parties are having a solid go at it. Ubisoft probably has the worst implementation of it right now, with many other games actually trying to do stuff with it. I think it's helped by the fact that the SDK for making this work is really good, like in dev you can upload a sound file to the DualSense and it'll convert that into the controller responding in tune with it. I think the Switch version might not have anything as turnkey in its SDK.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dunno if anyone is still wanting these things.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1390356373985107969

edit never mind out of stock within seconds I guess the answer was yes lol

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

American McGay posted:

I'm pretty happy with mine a few weeks of using it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I don't use the mic on it that often but it's comfy and light and the battery lasts more than a few consecutive sessions in a row.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://www.thegamer.com/former-343-employee-halo-infinite-crunch/

Colour me surprised

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean, I don't doubt it. Especially since it's already been delayed, but this sentence in particular is pretty hilarious.

quote:

That’s according to a ResetEra user translating a video on Chinese social media site Bilibili from someone claiming to have worked at 343 Industries.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

but this sentence in particular is pretty hilarious.

Sounds legit alright

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Infinite crunch sure sounds great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ErrEff posted:

Infinite crunch sure sounds great.

don't tell me MS bought rockstar as well???

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

bushisms.txt posted:

Held in contempt. Judge doesn't have time to talk about Wii accessories.

The number of people who were confused about what the Wii U actually was is astounding. My best friends kid, who was a very video game aware teenager when it came out, thought it was just the controller and some kind of mobile device.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMRuYC8UBkk

quote:

TLDW:

- 2160p on PS5 and Series X and 1440p on Series S using Checker-boarding, but it is a very robust implementation of checker boarding. Looks just as good as native.

- Without RT, 100% lock to 60FPS on Series X and PS5. Very minor drops in Series S.

- RT is 1/8th of the original resolution. Doesnt look as great as other games do.

- With RT turned on, PS5 drops as low as 45 FPS and Series X drops to as low as 50 FPS. Both runs at 60 FPS most of the time. But, Series X has advantage of about 10% during heavy sequence. XBOX Series S drops to under 30 FPS when RT is turned on and runs at 35-40 FPS most of the time.

- Series S/X load times - 8 seconds. PS5 load times - ~2 seconds.

- PS5 doesn't have loading screen, just a black fade screen.

- Supports DualSense, but not as good as Astro and Returnal.

- Support for impulse triggers in XBOX.

- Audio is very well done.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ray tracing on console is going to be a total poo poo show of compromises for a long time sadly

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
From what I've seen in previews, it's an impressively stable 60 with RT on, although the actual RT isn't particularly impressive in terms of resolution and scale. I'll probably still play with it on since the ambient occlusion looks like it brightens and cleans up a lot of the scenes.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The ray-traced reflections are so tiny that they might as well be using baked sphere reflection.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I gotta hand it to Capcom. That engine looks amazing on pretty much every console. Even MonHun Rise on switch puts nearly every other game on that console to shame.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

American McGay posted:

Can you fill me in on why these are so coveted?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah lol every review of that headset is like "it's, uh, good for this price range" and people keep swapping golden EQ settings to make it sound acceptable

Storm One posted:

It is probably negligible for the CPU, unless the SmartShift stuff on PS5 has a bigger penalty then what we've been led to believe, and that's what matters most, but I wouldn't call a 20% GPU compute and 25% memory bandwidth increase negligible.
Thanks for reminding me that over on PC people pay $400 extra for that sort of difference :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Asteroid Alert posted:

Can you fill me in on why these are so coveted?

200 dollars worth of headphone for 100 bucks retail pretty much

also probably the same things keeping every other electronic gizmo scarce right now on top of that.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 6, 2021