Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

NASA still hasn't paid the fine for littering

A radio station eventually raised the money and paid the fine for them

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Murgos posted:

If China actually wants to be taken seriously in space then they need to start playing like an adult and cleaning up their messes when they are done with their toys.

Leaving massive cores full of toxic crap to land who knows where is just nasty. I get that they don't give a poo poo about their own populace but what if that thing comes down in New York City, London, Paris, Moscow or even Beijing? Sure, it's not likely but the world is full of all kinds of historical examples of unlikely things happening.

What's anybody going to do to China about it? You can't fine them, they have their own launch sites so you can't stop them from throwing stuff in orbit and/or littering on your country. Nobody is going to start ASAT blasting their satellites, both to keep from making more of a mess in LEO and to avoid escalation in space. Their trash could wipe out a couple of skyscrapers in Manhattan and the only thing that will happen is a bunch of lawsuits get filed and ultimately don't collect, one of Jinping's toadies issues an insincere apology, and a couple dozen people in China's space program get disappeared.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Murgos posted:

If China actually wants to be taken seriously in space then they need to start playing like an adult and cleaning up their messes when they are done with their toys.

Leaving massive cores full of toxic crap to land who knows where is just nasty. I get that they don't give a poo poo about their own populace but what if that thing comes down in New York City, London, Paris, Moscow or even Beijing? Sure, it's not likely but the world is full of all kinds of historical examples of unlikely things happening.

Well it can’t come down over London, Paris, or Moscow because their latitudes are higher than its orbital inclination.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Midjack posted:

What's anybody going to do to China about it? You can't fine them, they have their own launch sites so you can't stop them from throwing stuff in orbit and/or littering on your country. Nobody is going to start ASAT blasting their satellites, both to keep from making more of a mess in LEO and to avoid escalation in space. Their trash could wipe out a couple of skyscrapers in Manhattan and the only thing that will happen is a bunch of lawsuits get filed and ultimately don't collect, one of Jinping's toadies issues an insincere apology, and a couple dozen people in China's space program get disappeared.

I mean, broadly speaking that's what diplomacy is all about. No, we're (hopefully) not going to start WW3 if some booster lands in the middle of Manhattan, but there are a myriad of ways to exert pressure on a country, and if they literally killed hundreds or thousands of Americans you can bet there would be a pretty loving robust application of that pressure, definitely more than some worthless lawsuits.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I mean, broadly speaking that's what diplomacy is all about. No, we're (hopefully) not going to start WW3 if some booster lands in the middle of Manhattan, but there are a myriad of ways to exert pressure on a country, and if they literally killed hundreds or thousands of Americans you can bet there would be a pretty loving robust application of that pressure, definitely more than some worthless lawsuits.

China owns most of our debt, a shitton of nuclear weapons, all the factories making all the stuff we need, and a lot of the raw materials for what little we still make here. They also have several key US allies within easy bomber range of their borders. They have us by balls, they know it, we know it, and we aren't doing poo poo to them.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Imagined posted:

China owns most of our debt

China owns 5% of our National Debt. Most is owed to Social Security.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Imagined posted:

China owns most of our debt,

Ignoring for a second that this number was always foreign held debt imagine that you’re in some stateless ancap dystopia and own a giant Waco like compound with the most military equipment in the world. Some bank issued a mortgage for it denominated in currency you yourself issue.

Who has who by the balls in this example?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Imagined posted:

China owns most of our debt, a shitton of nuclear weapons, all the factories making all the stuff we need, and a lot of the raw materials for what little we still make here. They also have several key US allies within easy bomber range of their borders. They have us by balls, they know it, we know it, and we aren't doing poo poo to them.

The fake news about debt that was covered aside, it's a mutual balls having. They make our stuff, we make the paper they need for packaging. We have the markets they need for selling things. Our allies have markets China needs to sell things in. They can't just pull our pants down without their pants being pulled down too.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Imagined posted:

what exactly do you think they could do by holding our debt?

china: pay us now
usa: no

that could certainly impact the "credit rating" of the usa, but it's not like we have no international sway. if we did it for dumbass reasons that's a thing, but if they dropped a satellite on Manhattan or caused a big diplomatic incident, we also have that stick to play. neither side wins in such a situation, especially since we have been making payments for years and years and that cash flow helps China significantly. everyone knows they manipulate their currency value, they need USD as much as we need liquidity.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

1/(1000pi) candela per square cm

yeah that's right we're making our own new bizzaro units out of proper SI units now

Lamberts are an old bizzaro metric unit; it's CGS like a dyne or an angstrom.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Imagined posted:

This is a hot take worthy of Fox News

National debt
https://www.thebalance.com/who-owns-the-u-s-national-debt-3306124

Raw materials imports
https://wits.worldbank.org//CountryProfile/en/Country/USA/Year/2016/TradeFlow/Import/Partner/ALL/Product/UNCTAD-SoP1

Not gonna bother with the rest but this is a bad thread for petty lies and hot takes. Full of pilots and engineers the pedantic kings.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I dunno I think one person telling me I'm an idiot wasn't enough, I need a half dozen more.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Imagined posted:

I dunno I think one person telling me I'm an idiot wasn't enough, I need a half dozen more.

FAR 24.301(b)a.1) clearly states that in order to be certificated incorrect you must have received referential links.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://twitter.com/launchstuff/status/1389593013446496256?s=21

Canada alert level: :smug:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Except for the 2% of Canada that has 25% of the population, of course.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/RDhaniswara/status/1389794706100416518

heh

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thinking about how to calculate what the ocean/land ratio is if you exclude above/below certain latitudes

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

My bet is the same county in Australia that skylab landed.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PCjr sidecar posted:

If that happens the rest of Canada will just blame the victim

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

SpaceX just stuck the landing on SN15.

If you didn’t catch the livestream, you didn’t miss much. There were clouds and the onboard video had transmission issues.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PCjr sidecar posted:

Nah. There’s zero overlap.

The rocket body has orbital inclination 41.5°. Canada’s southermost territory is about 41.67° N.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bet it lands in the ocean, given that only about 25% of the grid image contains land.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Platystemon posted:

Nah. There’s zero overlap.

The rocket body has orbital inclination 41.5°. Canada’s southermost territory is about 41.67° N.

Eh, take it up with the person who drew the grid square over the gta.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Ask the 2 Michaels and the Uigurs how well China responds to international pressure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Imagined posted:

Try doing a modicum of research before just making poo poo up next time.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I will not

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

I bet it lands in the ocean, given that only about 25% of the grid image contains land.

TBH I'm sure was the conclusion of the Chinese Space Agency

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Good username/post combo

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I saw a KC-46 the other day. the silhouette at long range was a little confusing for a moment since the refueling pods on the wings made it look like a 4-engine until I figured that out. I was pretty sure no 707s were around here.

pro: it was flying, did not appear to be on fire

con: probably still can't refuel another plane

in conclusion, boring flying tube is also boring in USAF grey

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Psion posted:

I saw a KC-46 the other day.

Horrible creatures.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

StandardVC10 posted:

Horrible creatures.

not an emptyquote

:golfclap:

e: finally, remembered the right emote

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, they've been showing up on ADS-B Exchange but as B762s, not KC46es. And never more than 3-4 at a time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does that mean Boeing found all the bonus parts?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Speaking of ADS-B, this is a callsign you don't see very often: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae11f6

Biden's supposed to be down in Louisiana, why is Executive One coming from Colorado Springs?

EDIT: Never mind, it's Executive One *Foxtrot*. "If the president's family members are aboard, but not the president himself, the flight can, at the discretion of the White House staff or Secret Service, use the callsign Executive One Foxtrot (EXEC1F)."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 7, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Speaking of ADS-B, this is a callsign you don't see very often: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae11f6

Biden's supposed to be down in Louisiana, why is Executive One coming from Colorado Springs?

EDIT: Never mind, it's Executive One *Foxtrot*. "If the president's family members are aboard, but not the president himself, the flight can, at the discretion of the White House staff or Secret Service, use the callsign Executive One Foxtrot (EXEC1F)."

Yeah Jill Biden was in Vegas to present some teaching award this morning, must’ve had an event in Colorado after that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Countdown to RWM saying it was a flight just for the dog

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

Countdown to RWM saying it was a flight just for the dog

Pilot for Jill Biden was a major -> Flight was just for Major Biden - > "Should we be paying for flights for a dog? Why don't the Democrats want you to ask these questions? Shouldn't you be allowed to ask why Joe Biden constantly has his dog flying around the country?" - Tucker Carlson

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mover brought a Go Pro with him for a check flight around/over Nawlins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hL4Vy05Qzk

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, they've been showing up on ADS-B Exchange but as B762s, not KC46es. And never more than 3-4 at a time.

They show up as 762’s for ATC as well. We see them fairly regularly on one of our AR tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

:cripes:

https://www.flightglobal.com/helicopters/us-air-force-signs-research-contract-for-bells-high-speed-vtol/143611.article