Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

It was really off-script!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
expansion? have they annexed any territory since the civil war ended?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

they made some islands

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Zedhe Khoja posted:

expansion? have they annexed any territory since the civil war ended?

At the UN there’s a gigantic map of the world that decides everything and China keeps using a pencil to draw dotted lines in the ocean when nobody’s looking

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbf if the word dictatorship means anything then Xi Jinping is a dictator,

I don't think in modern history there's any 'dictator' who didn't have to satisfy a significant amount of powerful people around them, and a large portion of the public without getting killed / ousted / revolutioned pretty quick. He got unanimously elected by the several thousand voters who vote for president, across all the parties in China, no abstain or nothing.

FDR, Lincoln, and washington were all dictators who also won elections and that's who Americans would probably say are their greatest presidents. the word isn't "foreign leader who we don't like who won a rigged election"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

wild

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Antonymous posted:

I don't think in modern history there's any 'dictator' who didn't have to satisfy a significant amount of powerful people around them, and a large portion of the public without getting killed / ousted / revolutioned pretty quick. He got unanimously elected by the several thousand voters who vote for president, across all the parties in China, no abstain or nothing.

FDR, Lincoln, and washington were all dictators who also won elections and that's who Americans would probably say are their greatest presidents. the word isn't "foreign leader who we don't like who won a rigged election"

Granted, you could argue that it simply goes back to the original Roman definition of a dictator, a politician that holds near total political power but still has to be answerable to his constituency. Julius Caesar didn't lose the support of the average people of Rome, but he lost a specific faction of the Senatorial class who murdered him to get rid of him.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Antonymous posted:

I'm not sure there even can be someone who would fit the cultural image of a dictator. There's always some constituency they have to appease and even if it's only the army and the spooks that's a shitton of people.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

democracy means country we like, and has meant so since Woodrow Wilson decided that wilhelmine Germany wasn’t democratic despite having more of its population with sufferage than America.

A lot of people also think in terms of “soft fuzzy” words. Democracy is good therefore a country I hate or did something bad can’t be democratic ( as an aside, 70 percent of the German reichstag voted for ww1. They were democratically elected by almost universal suffrage)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
At least for new laws and new policy, CCP has all sort of feedback loops to find out if they are popular. Also new policies get trailed in limited cities and get rolled back all the time. There was a draft of a law that let foreigner become Chinese citizen a couple years ago. IMO it mainly target former Chinese who has gotten a foreign citizenship but wants to change back to PRC citizenship; also brides from Laos/Myanmars etc. But the wording was "foreigners" and lot of netizens immediately thought of "Africans in Guangzhou". People complained online and the draft of the law pretty much disappear.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

stephenthinkpad posted:

At least for new laws and new policy, CCP has all sort of feedback loops to find out if they are popular. Also new policies get trailed in limited cities and get rolled back all the time. There was a draft of a law that let foreigner become Chinese citizen a couple years ago. IMO it mainly target former Chinese who has gotten a foreign citizenship but wants to change back to PRC citizenship; also brides from Laos/Myanmars etc. But the wording was "foreigners" and lot of netizens immediately thought of "Africans in Guangzhou". People complained online and the draft of the law pretty much disappear.

there was a draft law last year making permanent residence easier to get but it similarly never went anywhere

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

China/Russia is not part of any colony that the Philippines ever belonged to - so there is no "colonial mentality" in refusing to take Sinovac or Sputnik

Vaccines coming from China/Russia are objectively of questionable quality because their sources do not present clear data of their effectivity.

quote:

rumor has it china have had 2 years to develop sinovac so they know about the risk of blood clots which they resolved by lowering the efficacy of the vaccine while providing protection against severe complications but is feared to allow further mutations for covid19. sputnik is probably the most tested on humans but has a bad reputation due to russia's poorer pharmaceutical standards so protection can vary per jab.

but trust me on the sputnik as that is not a rumor

quote:

Russian and Chinese vaccines are loving sketchy man. Their government probably forced the scientist to skip crucial clinical trials before the vaccines is released. Also they refuse to share the result of the trials for peer review, so that the scientific community could tell us if it's safe or not. Kinda sus if you ask me.

What makes it sketchy isn't the product itself, it's that they refuse to make their paperwork public for us to check for ourselves.

quote:

Not a case of colonial mentality. It has more to do with the fact that the manufacturers refuse to share clinical trial results, and they also refuse to submit them for peer review, and there's little to no transparency regarding their efficacy.

quote:

Sorry.

I don't want communism in my veins

That last one is probably the most honest out of all of these

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember when people including joe biden made those exact same criticisms of the trump vaccines only for them to turn into nutjob conspiracy theories overnight when joe biden won the election

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You either get 5G in your vein or Communism in your vein or sweet sweet Corona in your lung, take your poison.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

stephenthinkpad posted:

You either get 5G in your vein or Communism in your vein or sweet sweet Corona in your lung, take your poison.

communism please

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

will injecting communism give me bangin tits

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
yes, but they end up looking like the spaghetti string ones after a year or so

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

That last one is probably the most honest out of all of these

I wish I had communism running in my veins instead of the gates vaccine.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFiIMTbMEx4

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

fart simpson posted:

communism please

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

remember when people including joe biden made those exact same criticisms of the trump vaccines only for them to turn into nutjob conspiracy theories overnight when joe biden won the election

Remember when people on this very forum were swearing blind that absolutely no rich people would even want the vaccine and would wait until the poors had suffciently trialed it.

Also re that foreigners becoming Chinese citizens thing got a link to any articles about it?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

huh

he's still a garbage billionaire and wouldve been an insta war criminal if he got the chance

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

does he have a lot of business connections in China or something

lol Kissinger is kind to China too

https://twitter.com/Dimi/status/1390069422463856641

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Maximo Roboto posted:

does he have a lot of business connections in China or something

lol Kissinger is kind to China too

https://twitter.com/Dimi/status/1390069422463856641

maaaan this rear end in a top hat still alive???

JUST DIE ALREADY

GOD drat

even in a historic worldwide pandemic this motherfucker still lives

THS
Sep 15, 2017

kissinger probably has another ten years in him somehow

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Agrajag posted:

huh

he's still a garbage billionaire and wouldve been an insta war criminal if he got the chance

Oh totally, clever capitalists don't want to touch this with a 10-foot pole. I don't give Bloomberg or Kissinger any credit for rightly avoiding a war they can't win. I still find it interesting that as a class they're not united on this issue at all.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Oh totally, clever capitalists don't want to touch this with a 10-foot pole. I don't give Bloomberg or Kissinger any credit for rightly avoiding a war they can't win. I still find it interesting that as a class they're not united on this issue at all.

Yeah, I wouldn't give them credit beyond the fact they looked at China's growth rates and did the math. It does say something about the rest of the Beltway that they still think "they got this" and a lot of them (like Hillary) are true believers and genuinely believe "communism" must be defeated regardless of the human cost.

In contrast, Bloomberg and Kissinger don't give a poo poo about human costs but they know they just can't win and so it is better to work out a deal with the "devil."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
on that note

https://twitter.com/leninology/status/1390370437352263680?s=20

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't give them credit beyond the fact they looked at China's growth rates and did the math. It does say something about the rest of the Beltway that they still think "they got this" and a lot of them (like Hillary) are true believers and genuinely believe "communism" must be defeated regardless of the human cost.

In contrast, Bloomberg and Kissinger don't give a poo poo about human costs but they know they just can't win and so it is better to work out a deal with the "devil."

I think the US can use more "pragmatic number crunching" guys. I am referring to Bloomberg not Kissinger.

I think the US establishment blob is getting more and more ideological and its...for lack of better word, unwise.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

on that note
meme

https://twitter.com/Bodhishevik/status/1390410644646662150

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-26/russia-ditches-the-dollar-in-more-than-half-of-its-exports

Russia has pushed it's use of dollars in its international trade under 50% for the first time. Euros make up 75% of trade with China.

Putin’s Answer to U.S. Sanctions Is More Economic Isolation

According to this article two-thirds of trade exports to India are settled in rubles and the euro has surpassed the dollar in trade with the EU.

https://tass.com/economy/1286655

Turkey has granted emergency authorization to the Sputnik V vaccine and ordered fifty million doses of it. More importantly plans are under way to jointly manufacture the vaccine in Turkey as well.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think the US can use more "pragmatic number crunching" guys. I am referring to Bloomberg not Kissinger.

I think the US establishment blob is getting more and more ideological and its...for lack of better word, unwise.

The problem from a “number crunching perspective” things are not looking good, and it is a lot easier just to retreat into a world of fantasy. Guys like Bloomberg or Kissinger are big enough names they can get away admitting what is going on.

I don’t think the US has a plan when the stimulus spending grinds to a halt. If anything the US seems to be following the “Japan model.”

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:20 on May 7, 2021

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Kissinger isn’t a stupid rah rah America rule the world neoconservative, he’s immoral but normal diplomat immoral, which makes sense considering he idolizes Metternich and Talleyrand.

He praised Yalta as a masterstroke, whereas most Neocons thought America should have started WW3 and nuked Moscow.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 01:00 on May 7, 2021

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

PawParole posted:

Kissinger isn’t a stupid rah rah America rule the world neoconservative, he’s immoral but normal diplomat immoral, which makes sense considering he idolizes Metternich and Talleyrand.

He praised Yalta as a masterstroke, whereas most Neocons thought America should have started WW3 and nuked Moscow.

oh wait, he supported the Iraq war. wow gently caress him.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

PawParole posted:

I mean man he orchestrated mass death in Eastern Cambodia...

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ardennes posted:

I mean man he orchestrated mass death in Eastern Cambodia...

Yeah but he also made big inroads with China

I think it's fair to call kissinger a pragmatic imperialist. He happily supports regime change, genocide and war but only if he thinks the American elite can realistically benefit from said atrocities

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PawParole posted:

lol is this a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dreddout posted:

Yeah but he also made big inroads with China

I think it's fair to call kissinger a pragmatic imperialist. He happily supports regime change, genocide and war but only if he thinks the American elite can realistically benefit from said atrocities

Iraq is more unclear, it ended up a pointless flop that allowed Iran to become a regional power.

Btw, I have been looking at US versus Chinese demographics and if anything they do generally seem to be moving in opposite directions slowly. While US population growth has been dropping, Chinese population growth if anything is moderately increasing. China does have a 10 year or so “gap” after that will affect its labor market but it essentially has its own internal “pool” of immigration from the provinces.

I think it is going to be a lot harder to “defeat” China than DC thinks especially if the US property market keeps on bubbling like it has been.