Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

not caring here posted:

Just got that first Pfizer jab, cell reception hasn't improved yet.

What's been the usual side effects for people so far?

My first Pfizer shot left me with a very sore arm the next day, but it was nothing a heating pad and some aspirin couldn't take the edge off. The second one basically sent me into hibernation for two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Vice did a segment about Austin's situation last week, for those interested.

https://youtu.be/5az_EKGYOeE

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Austin is hostage to the state. Austin tries to do something, state GOP fucks with the rules, Austin winds up with its' tail between its' legs.

Or at least, this is how my cousin in Austin describes it.

Austin has no real desire to do anything because it's entirely beholden to property speculators, developers and "my property values!" Democrats. The state is just a convenient excuse.

Edit: don't get me wrong, the state absolutely fucks with large cities because they're the Texas GOP Boogeyman but much like other Democrat paradises such as San Fran, this problem was entirely self-inflicted by the city and it's supposedly liberal voters

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 6, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

not caring here posted:

First dose of Moderna just made my arm mildly sore and some very slight fatigue for about 18 hours.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

ASAPI posted:

So the camping ban has passed. Enforcement is in question though. Austin police are fairly understaffed, if they have to respond to a protest or something that actually requires police presence, they won't be able to clear out the "camps" that have sprung up.

The whole situation leading up to the repeal of the camping ban, and its reinstatement, is one failed policy decision followed by another. If, at any point, the government actually did what they said they would do Austin would not be in the situation it is in now.

Denver has been going absolutely buckwild with enforcing their "camping" ban over the course of the epidemic. Like nearly weekly sweeps of just bulldozing through camps with heavy equipment and destroying tents, tell the people to relocate to a different designated location, and then coming through that location within the month. Just absolutely disgusting conduct by city.

Most of Colorado is pretty cool and good, but Denver is 100% just a colony of California at this point with all of the faux-progressive posturing, out of control rent prices, and malicious hatred of the homeless.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Internet Wizard posted:

Denver has been going absolutely buckwild with enforcing their "camping" ban over the course of the epidemic. Like nearly weekly sweeps of just bulldozing through camps with heavy equipment and destroying tents, tell the people to relocate to a different designated location, and then coming through that location within the month. Just absolutely disgusting conduct by city.

Most of Colorado is pretty cool and good, but Denver is 100% just a colony of California at this point with all of the faux-progressive posturing, out of control rent prices, and malicious hatred of the homeless.

Austin has the advantage that the shanty towns that spring up tend to go up in flames. "Enforcement" may not be needed.

I have heard that some people believe that the fires are intentional, an effort to get the ban reinstated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CollinFisher/status/1390361390519521280?s=20

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

fake nunes

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ASAPI posted:

Austin has the advantage that the shanty towns that spring up tend to go up in flames. "Enforcement" may not be needed.

I have heard that some people believe that the fires are intentional, an effort to get the ban reinstated.

I seem to remember people saying the cops set them back when I lived there in the late 00s.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its the same PD that blamed a bombing on the black victim and let the actual perpetrator keep doing it for another week or so

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Austin has no real desire to do anything because it's entirely beholden to property speculators, developers and "my property values!" Democrats. The state is just a convenient excuse.

Edit: don't get me wrong, the state absolutely fucks with large cities because they're the Texas GOP Boogeyman but much like other Democrat paradises such as San Fran, this problem was entirely self-inflicted by the city and it's supposedly liberal voters

What percentage of the residents do you think make up those groups you highlighted?

Boulder is similar to Denver in that assisting the homeless never gets much further than lip service. There are a number of programs that all have extensive waiting lists for housing vouchers and the like. Most of them also require sobriety and a very limited criminal record for eligibility purposes

The community would rather spend millions cleaning sewage out of the Boulder Creek than install readily accessible public bathrooms, for fear that it would further "encourage" homeless settlement. The attitudes definitely highlight the extent to which progressive causes have been commercialized as emblems of social status, not actual interest in solving crisis.

I don't think that these issues are easily addressed on the municipal level, for a multitude of reasons. Perhaps the most glaring is the perception that offering services in one location will encourage homeless individuals from around the state to relocate to where services are the most robust.

I'm not sure what the solution should be, but homelessness is definitely a tough nut to crack. You look like situations like Skid Row in LA and I think it becomes obvious that concentrating services into particular locations just makes the situation even less manageable.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 6, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Notahippie posted:

I lived in a house that had been illegally converted to a duplex, my landlord was a sweet old hippie who lived on the other side of the wall, and one day I came home to find a dude in a tent living on her side of the lawn. She had made friends with a homeless guy and invited him to live there, he was chill and we talked about Conan comics a lot and he gave me a lovely lockback pocket knife he found in a dumpster.

It turned out he smoked crack, but that wasn't why he left. It ended in drama and he was the one who moved out - he and my landlord got into a relationship but she was bipolar and they'd get into big arguments and at one point she shoved him and he moved back out to the yard then took off. He told me he was leaving because he was worried somebody was going to call the cops because of the fighting and he was worried that no matter how chill he was, if the cops rolled up to a fight between an older white lady and an (also older) black guy then it was going to go poorly for him.

This was in Austin, same city that is just about to pass a public camping ban. No discussion of what people are going to do or where they're supposed to go. It's just going to end up with a bunch of people in jail for being poor. poo poo makes me really loving mad.

As a former Austin resident this is such a peak Austin story I love it.

I miss living there when I did (15 yrs ago). No way in hell would I live there now but still a fun visit for a weekend I guess.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I don't think Landon Copeland of Utah is talking himself into pretrial detention (government didn't ask for it initially)

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1390377621003939840

Edit: I think this was the other hearing

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1390378913646448644

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 6, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm all for heaping blame on FN even if it's these stupid assholes trying to wriggle out of punishment

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Can't wait to Foxitis and Foxmania are official diagnosis.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Get it in the DSM5

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Get it in the DSM5

Delusion D/O, persecutory type

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

That Works posted:

As a former Austin resident this is such a peak Austin story I love it.

I miss living there when I did (15 yrs ago). No way in hell would I live there now but still a fun visit for a weekend I guess.

This was just about 15 years ago, roughly 2006. I went back a couple of years ago and S Lamar looks like some Blade Runner poo poo - it's all red neon and weird cube buildings. It turned into a real city sometime when I wasn't looking.

I miss Las Manitas.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I sincerely hope Fox brain doesn't become a thing because the right will run with it to normalize this poo poo as a catch all 'ok they had Fox brain but they're ok now!' or whatever the gently caress. You guys know what I'm saying.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Notahippie posted:

This was just about 15 years ago, roughly 2006. I went back a couple of years ago and S Lamar looks like some Blade Runner poo poo - it's all red neon and weird cube buildings. It turned into a real city sometime when I wasn't looking.

I miss Las Manitas.

I remember going to the Broken Spoke in the early 2000's. I'm pretty sure I parked in a dirt lot next to the place. I also believe what is now South Lamar was just a county road during that visit.

Now the place is surrounded by condos. Same thing with South Congress. Austin has grown incredibly fast.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

I don't think Landon Copeland of Utah is talking himself into pretrial detention (government didn't ask for it initially)

@MacFarlaneNews posted:

!!!!!!!! Copeland is screaming. At judge. “How long can I postpone this? I’m a vet. You owe this to me. You’ve all f***ed this up. You’re a robot to me. You can’t come get me if I don’t want you to!”

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1390395975353708546

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1390386966059884546

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1390386253619613697

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1390392311167823875

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZFH4wCLVXY&t=59s

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 6, 2021

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Well, that guy sounds pretty normal.

Okay, so did anyone else get an ungodly foot cramping after the Pfizer shot? Comes and goes at random? That's gotta be completely unrelated, right?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Don't need a supposedly on there, liberals are always happy to push homeless people under the rug. Ignoring poor people is a core competency of liberals.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

not caring here posted:

Okay, so did anyone else get an ungodly foot cramping after the Pfizer shot? Comes and goes at random? That's gotta be completely unrelated, right?

All things related to joint discomfort are normal, though non-GI cramping isn't listed. Personally, my second shot turned my already-sore ankles into overdrive.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/expect/after.html

Basically, the body's response to the vaccine is to inflame absolutely everything, especially related to joints. Feel free to hit the tylenol / NSAIDs.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

not caring here posted:

first dose of moderna was comparable to TDAP, second dose was sleeping 14 straight hours and then waking up with a 103° fever

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Hearing's back on.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1390408960835039241

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
loling that this comedy forum has better moderator tools than the feds

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

facialimpediment posted:

All things related to joint discomfort are normal, though non-GI cramping isn't listed. Personally, my second shot turned my already-sore ankles into overdrive.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/expect/after.html

Basically, the body's response to the vaccine is to inflame absolutely everything, especially related to joints. Feel free to hit the tylenol / NSAIDs.

Oh, that's handy.

Yeah, so apparently some people are reporting stabbing pains in a foot or feet, supposed to last up to 48 hours.

gently caress it, if that's the worst of it, that's pretty neat.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Volkova III posted:

Hearing's back on.

this dude is absolutely amazing

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1390409995590766592

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1390412668134121475

He's like a bizarro version of Lance Reddick on the Eric Andre show mixed with Marlo Stanfield talking to a security guard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sovereign citizens get frustrated when their magic spells don’t work.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

facialimpediment posted:

this dude is absolutely amazing

What kind of issue does he have with his case number? Is he some kind of SovCit numerologist?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Notahippie posted:

What kind of issue does he have with his case number? Is he some kind of SovCit numerologist?

More boring, equally perplexing.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1390408805402435590

it me, hosed off

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Notahippie posted:

He is most certainly mental and probably Sovcit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What kind of ridiculous set up do they have where he can un-mute himself?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What was he wasting 70% of his income on that he's blaming the government for

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird food bathtub posted:

The Matrix

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1390413065133428737

So, if he is found incompetent to stand trial, is there a chance he would be institutionalized? Because that might be worse than prison.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

He'd probably be perfectly fine in prison considering his credentials lol.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

Generally courts only mute telephone participants if they are disrupting court with background noise. You can self unmute after that when you later hear your case is being called. I think the idea is to have it be as permissive as possible because the Judge is there to maintain order and criminal sanctions ( contempt) are how you take care of unruly participants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was he wasting 70% of his income on that he's blaming the government for

Also the Matrix.