Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Frankenstyle posted:

The new shield from the end of Endgame and TFaWS has been bothering me mildly because if Cap decided to retire to an alternate timeline and spend his life with his best girl, why would he go to the trouble of getting a new shield? Then watching Spider-Man Homecoming tonight there's a scene with Happy reading off the planes cargo manifest and one of the items is "Cap's new prototype shield", so I'm wondering if old Cap didn't just pick that one up from the Avengers compound on the way to the funeral.

Steve chose to retire from being the Captain America of the mainline MCU world - the one where he lost Peggy Carter. It's absurd to think that he'd go to the world where he can reconnect with Peggy Carter while she's still active as Agent Carter going on dangerous missions and just take his skills and knowledge of the future and sit on them.

Beyond stuff like HYDRA infiltrating SHIELD and rescuing Bucky, consider that Steve Rogers probably read through a bunch of American and world history thinking, "If only I'd been there..." Now that he is there you think he'll do nothing? gently caress that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously he got to the moon somehow...

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
What…what if Old Man Cap is a Skrull and our Cap is lost in time?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

Steve chose to retire from being the Captain America of the mainline MCU world - the one where he lost Peggy Carter. It's absurd to think that he'd go to the world where he can reconnect with Peggy Carter while she's still active as Agent Carter going on dangerous missions and just take his skills and knowledge of the future and sit on them.

Beyond stuff like HYDRA infiltrating SHIELD and rescuing Bucky, consider that Steve Rogers probably read through a bunch of American and world history thinking, "If only I'd been there..." Now that he is there you think he'll do nothing? gently caress that!

So Steve basically intervened at every major point of US history, if not global history? Pulled Lincoln, Kennedy, Martin Luthor King Jr. etc. out of the way of bullets, forewarned people about Pearl Harbour, got himself and Peggy on fateful flights on 9/11 etc?

Marsupial Ape posted:

What…what if Old Man Cap is a Skrull and our Cap is lost in time?

Why would Skrull Cap disguise himself as an older Steve Rogers and give away the shield?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

So Steve basically intervened at every major point of US history, if not global history? Pulled Lincoln, Kennedy, Martin Luthor King Jr. etc. out of the way of bullets, forewarned people about Pearl Harbour, got himself and Peggy on fateful flights on 9/11 etc?

He'd still only have so many Pym particles.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

live with fruit posted:

He'd still only have so many Pym particles.

He doesn't need Pym particles, he just goes through the timeline like everyone else does by living it

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

Why would Skrull Cap disguise himself as an older Steve Rogers and give away the shield?

Not Lincoln or Pearl Harbor, but Kennedy and MLK Jr. sure. For 9-11 he and Peggy would have been a little old for direct intervention, but they might have made some phone calls. Figure that HUAC, Joe McCarthy and the KKK would have received some serious Captain America push-back as well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

Not Lincoln or Pearl Harbor, but Kennedy and MLK Jr. sure. For 9-11 he and Peggy would have been a little old for direct intervention, but they might have made some phone calls. Figure that HUAC, Joe McCarthy and the KKK would have received some serious Captain America push-back as well.

The thing is, if you change such significant events then it's not really far-fetched to think that some other events later in the timeline are so different as to be unpredictable using his knowledge. Or just not happen at all. The more you change, the higher the chances further events get unpredictable.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Also changing major events will just flat out erase current people. Think of how many people exist today because of major wars like WWI and II. Not just the direct participants but the aftermath of coloniasm and segregation. If Cap stops WWII India might still be a British colony and Barack Obama might not exist because his parent's marriage is still illegal.

The manga, Zaipan, got it right. Don't gently caress with changing anything because almost inevitably everyone you know and love won't exist.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 6, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

tsob posted:

4D space chess, my dude.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Cap seems like the kinda guy who would never use his knowledge to change the past.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Also changing major events will just flat out erase current people. Think of how many people exist today because of major wars like WWI and II. Not just the direct participants but the aftermath of coloniasm and segregation. If Cap stops WWII India might still be a British colony and Barack Obama might not exist because his parent's marriage is still illegal.

The manga, Zaipan, got it right. Don't gently caress with changing anything because almost inevitably everyone you know and love won't exist.

If WWII never happens, he and Peggy never meet so there's no love of his life to go back to.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Bleck posted:

the point of Joker is "mental illness is exacerbated by social structures we assume are normal and benevolent." hope this helps

I thought the point of Joker was "White Male Gen-X Angst Is Justified and Tyler Durden was right"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I feel like if Steve started loving around someone would stop him. Either The Ancient One or Owen Wilson just from those we've seen.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Everyone posted:

I feel like Steve probably just knew that everything was gonna turn out all right. Probably figured that if he changed anything that it would lead to Thanos winning in one way or another. That said it would be an rear end in a top hat move to let 9/11 happen if you could stop it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I thought the point of Joker was "White Male Gen-X Angst Is Justified and Tyler Durden was right"

I could probably light up the sky with the projection coming from this post lol

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Everyone posted:

I like you're interpretation because it opens the possibility that the Loki series is actually gonna be about Loki running through the time stream saving Hitler and re-killing JFK and stuff while fixing a series of Cap's colossal time gently caress-ups.

*I kid, but in the right hands a time travel show about making sure all awful poo poo that happened still happens so that worse poo poo doesn't happen could a be great thing.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 7, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Sanguinia posted:

hahahah wat?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zero One posted:

Cap seems like the kinda guy who would never use his knowledge to change the past.

Technically he wouldn't be changing the past, he'd be living in his world and changing his future. I mean, say you see a four year old playing on some train tracks at 4:58 PM. And at 5:00 PM a train's going to roll through like it does every day.. Do you act on your knowledge to save the kid or just let him get squashed to avoid "interfering?" For all you know that kid will grow up to be Space Hitler. You can't predict that one way or another. So do you act on your knowledge that the train will squash him or not? Assuming you're not a loving psychopath, you'll save the kid.

Figure that's how it'll be for Steve. He knows about these bad things, so he'll act to stop them and live in his world with the consequences of those actions.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

pik_d posted:

I feel like if Steve started loving around someone would stop him. Either The Ancient One or Owen Wilson just from those we've seen.

Not even time agent Owen Wilson. The real one. He'll show up with an unbroken nose and be pissed Steve's meddling removed on of his few trademarks

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not even time agent Owen Wilson. The real one. He'll show up with an unbroken nose and be pissed Steve's meddling removed on of his few trademarks

The real Owen Wilson is a time agent, he's playing himself. He was also playing himself in Shanghai Noon, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Starsky & Hutch, and Cars.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

pik_d posted:

The real Owen Wilson is a time agent, he's playing himself. He was also playing himself in Shanghai Noon, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Starsky & Hutch, and Cars.

Now I irrationally want Loki to make Zoolander MCU canon

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Zero One posted:

I don't think Steve would sit by in a diner while some fat racist sheriff hassled some black person he'd do what he thinks is right.

Edit: Sam is now Cap, Steve is Steve I need to get used to that.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

pik_d posted:

Everyone knows that owen wilson’s greatest role was in the royal tenenbaums. What this post presupposes is maybe it wasn’t?

Honestly the best character to go unfuck time after endgame is Loki. It’s like marble umbrella academy but probably funnier and less angsty.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So with FAWC it seems they realised oh poo poo the Flagsmashers are entirely sympathetic so had them act logically inconsistent randomly murderous because they had written themselves into a corner?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lid posted:

So with FAWC it seems they realised oh poo poo the Flagsmashers are entirely sympathetic so had them act logically inconsistent randomly murderous because they had written themselves into a corner?

What is logically inconsistent about increasing radicalization triggered by the loss of a loved one at the perceived hands of people you were already fighting exactly?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Lid posted:

"Serum sickness" is tight

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sam's ending speech is actually ironic because Disney themselves added unsympathetic violence to delegitimise the flagsmashers otherwise sympathetic leftist ideals

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

BurritoJustice posted:

Sam's ending speech is actually ironic because Disney themselves added unsympathetic violence to delegitimise the flagsmashers otherwise sympathetic leftist ideals

The thesis of Sam's speech is that the unsympathetic violence explicitly did not delegitimize her leftist ideals.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

The thesis of Sam's speech is that the unsympathetic violence explicitly did not delegitimize her leftist ideals.

Yes but there's a difference between "we should help them because we're better than them" and "we should help them because we're not better than them" and it's not entirely clear what interpretation Sam meant. Which is the show trying to say: that good people should forgive bad people and try to understand them, or that we're all equal and there are no bad people? At least to me, seeing Disney throw a bunch of scenes of explicit violence sure makes it seem like they're trying to remind you that these are the bad guys.

You can forgive bad guys, try to understand them, try to help them, try to improve the conditions that gave birth to them, but never forget that they are bad guys and they can never be trusted (and thus can't be in charge and need to be monitored. you know. for their own good.)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

XboxPants posted:

Yes but there's a difference between "we should help them because we're better than them" and "we should help them because we're not better than them" and it's not entirely clear what interpretation Sam meant. Which is the show trying to say, that good people should forgive bad people and try to understand them, or that we're all equal and there are no bad people? At least to me, seeing Disney throw a bunch of scenes of explicit violence sure makes it seem like they're trying to remind you that these are the bad guys.

You can forgive bad guys, try to understand them, try to help them, try to improve the conditions that gave birth to them, but never forget that they are bad guys and they can never be trusted (and thus can't be in charge and need to be monitored. you know. for their own good.)

He directly states that people like Karli should be at the table being listened to for global decisions if those decisions are going to effect those people. Plus that denying and hurting these people is what pushes them towards violence for recognition/revolution.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 7, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Sanguinia posted:

and he's right

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

He directly states that people like Karli should be at the table being listened to for global decisions if those decisions are going to effect those people. Plus that denying and hurting these people is what pushes them towards violence for recognition/revolution.

I mean yeah I'll be straight, you're definitely right, I'm just discussing it cause BurritoJustice's original point was sorta interesting to me.

Like they work so hard to both paint Karli as not so bad after all, but then, the action set pieces work at total cross purposes to this characterization. Is it just incompetence from the writers? Did they feel that if they wanted to show that not all "terrorists" are evil, they had to start with one that actually was evil, so that the viewer might be able to learn to empathize even with someone we have totally written off as no more than an enemy combatant? WAS it just super soldier serum sickness, with no greater meaning meant? Or maybe it was super soldier serum, but it was meant to make a parallel to how we all start out as innocent children, like Raggedy Anne here, with real human hearts, but as we force ourselves/are forced into combat, it kills our emotion and deadens our ability to empathize more and more each time? So, even though she was a normal, decent human when we have a chance to stop and talk with her (sometimes)... when she steps into the field, she shuts all that poo poo down and doesn't care anymore who has to die for her cause? A trauma narrative, essentially.

Like there's all kinds of possible solutions to the conflict they posted about. I like talking about this kind of stuff, where there are multiple possible answers. Even if there's an obvious "right" one.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Its worth noting that right before Sam gives that speech he descends from on high as an Angel with the martyred Karli draped in his arms, liken unto Christ His Own Self. I think its really hard to read any ambiguity into what Sam's words mean given that visual framing, personally.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Its worth noting that right before Sam gives that speech he descends from on high as an Angel with the martyred Karli draped in his arms, liken unto Christ His Own Self. I think its really hard to read any ambiguity into what Sam's words mean given that visual framing, personally.

Didn’t Jesus go up and not down?

I genuinely don't know, I've never bibled.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Frankenstyle posted:

I like you're interpretation because it opens the possibility that the Loki series is actually gonna be about Loki running through the time stream saving Hitler and re-killing JFK and stuff while fixing a series of Cap's colossal time gently caress-ups.

*I kid, but in the right hands a time travel show about making sure all awful poo poo that happened still happens so that worse poo poo doesn't happen could a be great thing.

I mean, that would actually be amazing. If it's NOT what Loki is about, someone should make a similar series, because that's just a really cool premise with a lot of opportunity for great stakes.

Kind of like Quantum Leap, but purely devils advocate versions.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn’t Jesus go up and not down?

I genuinely don't know, I've never bibled.

Was thinking more along the lines of Renaissance Art than the actual Bible.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

Oh yeah, it's very clear in that moment what the showrunners intended.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
One interesting detail from the Assembled episode is at one point, the director says something like "Heroes in the first phases were warriors and soldiers and now they're first responders" regarding Sam and Bucky, then goes on and on later about how Walker is a soldier. It does add some depth to his portrayal, and makes me think about Tony going in and just killing all those Ten Rings members in Iron Man 1 as something Val will probably send Walker to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Joker is a really awesome movie with basically perfect politics and has a lot to say about the way we discard and dismiss anyone with mental health issues as trash. Phoenix gives an outstanding performance and if Robert De Niro signs on to play the “villain” (wink) in a movie that is very clearly drawing inspiration and paying homage to two of his own films, one of which is among the top 50 movies ever made according to film critics across the globe... well shouldn’t that be good enough for you?

Sanguinia posted:

Anyone who paints The Joker as Fight Club or White Male Rage is basically whatever the movie version of illiterate is... I think we call it “stupid”? This was the projection put into place by mass media outlets and woke-scold leftists who had never seen the film but DESPERATELY wanted it to incite violent shootings. It was among some of the weirdest behavior I’ve ever seen from media in my entire life. They spent months warning people this would cause violence and masa shootings because... I honestly don’t even know! It was so weird and insane! There is literally no way to actually watch the film and accept what is happening on screen and come away with the take you’ve posted.

It’s not perfect, certainly, the reveal about his fake GF was too heavy-handed and we didn’t need to see the actual murder of the Waynes that was maybe more than was needed but ultimately it’s a really good movie that helped a lot of people with serious mental health problems feel seen or represented in media in a way we don’t often get to be seen. If you’ve never had a government official look you dead in the eye and say “there is no help coming, you do not matter, good night and No, I don’t recall saying good luck” than sure maybe the movie won’t speak to you but it sure as hell had a lot to say to me and many others like me.

Tarantino has a really electric description of the finale wherein he expressed incredible respect for the director. The way that scene is constructed, the way the film builds this scene so completely, the average audience member is EXCITED for the murder to happen. We know Phoenix is crazy, we know he’s losing it, we know none of his ideas are grounded or helpful, we know that ultimately he is just a sad and abused crackpot with nothing in his life, and we still want him to blow Robert DeNiro’s brains out the back of his skull, because in that scene Jaoqin... is right

Just an awesome flick, gonna rewatch Joker before I get trapped in Thor hell