Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Basic df can be run by a normal user, but btrfs usage/df needs elevated privileges, so I assume that's the reason.

(Or at least it does on Ubuntu/KDE Neon and openSUSE, your distro may vary.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
My solution for passwords is Keepass and pwgen for generating some of them. If there is a chance that I need to input a password by some other means than Keepass autotype, then I use pwgen. The passwords it generates are much more memorable and even "typeable". When you are standing in front of the datacenter's KVM console typing on the shittiest keyboard you have touched this millenia, with a laptop running Keepass propped up on a step ladder you appreciate how easy they are to type. Or after you have type a 30 character long Keepass generated password to a VMware console half a dozen time you just go "to hell with it" and save the password in the bash history.

And I never use clipboard for passwords, it leaks like a sieve. I learned this lesson one time when I tried to paste on my home computer, and got a string I had copied on an Linux virtual machine dedicated to administrative tasks at work. That copied string had passed from the virtual machine ti my Linux computer hosting my virtual machines, there to another Windows virtual machine that actually had a locked desktop. And because I had a RDP session open to that virtual machine from home, the string showed up in my home computer. Keepass autotype every time, or type the password manually if autotype won't work, never clipboard.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah pwgen generates the best passwords you can type easily, i use those for dumbass vidya games that don't have a remember password option, or dumbass clients with windows servers that don't allow clipboard through rdp

everything else gets the keepass treatment

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I laughed:
https://twitter.com/nixcraft/status/1390252506526093313

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

KozmoNaut posted:

You get more info from 'filesystem usage' than from 'filesystem df'.

The issue is that I added a new disk that is almost as big as all the disks already in there, put together. So the space allocation is skewed and that seems to confuse everything. The space is there, it just doesn't show in basic tools.

code:
# btrfs fi u /mnt/Storage 
Overall:
    Device size:                  12.74TiB
    Device allocated:              4.96TiB
    Device unallocated:            7.78TiB
    Device missing:                  0.00B
    Used:                          4.96TiB
    Free (estimated):              3.89TiB      (min: 3.89TiB)
    Data ratio:                       2.00
    Metadata ratio:                   2.00
    Global reserve:              512.00MiB      (used: 0.00B)
Everything checks out internally (I assume it hasn't allocated all of the space yet, since I haven't needed it yet), but that's not as funny as the wildly off values you get with plain vanilla 'df -h'.

I've had one or two instances where plain old df doesn't show things right after adding a disk until I've run a rebalance

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Saukkis posted:

My solution for passwords is Keepass and pwgen for generating some of them. If there is a chance that I need to input a password by some other means than Keepass autotype, then I use pwgen. The passwords it generates are much more memorable and even "typeable". When you are standing in front of the datacenter's KVM console typing on the shittiest keyboard you have touched this millenia, with a laptop running Keepass propped up on a step ladder you appreciate how easy they are to type. Or after you have type a 30 character long Keepass generated password to a VMware console half a dozen time you just go "to hell with it" and save the password in the bash history.

And I never use clipboard for passwords, it leaks like a sieve. I learned this lesson one time when I tried to paste on my home computer, and got a string I had copied on an Linux virtual machine dedicated to administrative tasks at work. That copied string had passed from the virtual machine ti my Linux computer hosting my virtual machines, there to another Windows virtual machine that actually had a locked desktop. And because I had a RDP session open to that virtual machine from home, the string showed up in my home computer. Keepass autotype every time, or type the password manually if autotype won't work, never clipboard.

I guess it was your story that made me fully appreciate how wonky clipboards are, and made me extremely aware of them. I did some experiments and a singld copy could propagate to a ton of machines if you daisy chain them together (say, multiple jump hosts) so it can be stunning. I also found co-worker passwords cached in shared logins that way.

Fortunately, as a linux admin, i basically never remote desktop or anything with a shared clipboard.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

lol, I took the opposite route. FreeBSD was my first, and I still generally use it for server stuff, but I didn't have great luck using it as a desktop OS. Now both my laptop and desktop are Arch variants.

I still don't have any problem with systemd :shrug:

Kirov
May 4, 2006
Here's mine:

1. Download Slackware at school
2. Print out 300 pages of relevant HOWTOs
3. Discover at home that floppy #39 is giving a read error
4. Cursing
5. Try again next week
6. Stare at various combinations of LI, LIL, L an LILO for 42 times
4. Cursing
7. Success (if you can count seeing a cursor and starting xclock before a hard crash after three seconds being a success)
8. Register the machine at linuxcounter.net
9. Pretty much stick to Windows and OS X for the next 25 years.
10. At some point, declare systemd is evil

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

1. Go to Best Buy and purchase SAM'S Learn Linux in 12 Lessons with CD of some random distro (TurboLinux!)
2. Try to install on Compaq Presario but it fails because of unsupported integrated graphics chipset
3. Return to store and buy Linux for Dummies with Caldera Linux
4. Winmodem doesn't work
5. Say gently caress it and go back to Best Buy, buy the boxed version of Redhat 7.1
6. Buy an external modem
7. "Borrow" a 2MB SVGA card from an old computer at work
8. Enjoy Linux
9. Get hacked a couple weeks later because you never installed any patches
10. Download Slackware at work on the T1
11. Install that and be happy

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kirov posted:

Here's mine:

1. Download Slackware at school
2. Print out 300 pages of relevant HOWTOs
3. Discover at home that floppy #39 is giving a read error
4. Cursing
5. Try again next week
6. Stare at various combinations of LI, LIL, L an LILO for 42 times
4. Cursing
7. Success (if you can count seeing a cursor and starting xclock before a hard crash after three seconds being a success)
8. Register the machine at linuxcounter.net
9. Pretty much stick to Windows and OS X for the next 25 years.
10. At some point, declare systemd is evil
Mine's here:

1: Download Debian in the year 2000
2: While installing, grow frustrated at the documentation (or lack thereof)
3: Complain on IRC
4: A friend printed out the entire FreeBSD Handbook for the newly released FreeBSD 4.0 and burns a couple CDs
5: Run it as a desktop OS for the next 21 years and counting.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What hardware are you running? It sounds like you are running sound off the motherboard - do you know what audio chipset it has? I haven't used Xfce in a while, but don't remember sound being a significant hassle with it.

Also, did the front ports work using Windows? And did the sound behave in general using Windows?

SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC apparently. It's an Asus 970 motherboard.

I dropped my Windows hard drive on the concrete, so I'm not sure, haha. I haven't tested the headset with Windows on that computer. The hard drive will be back to me in a few days, so maybe I posted this too soon if it's not some known issue.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

1. Dad buys a proper boxed version of SuSE Linux 6.4, "to see what this Linux thing is about".
2. Discover that GIMP and WindowMaker are super cool, but that getting our modem to work is apparently impossible.
3. Lose interest.
4. Some time later, try to upgrade from Win98 to WinXP on my own PC, run in to unsolvable driver issues.
5. Install Mandrake Linux because gently caress Micro$oft.
6. Go all in on Quake 3 death matches, because it runs better on Linux. Get pretty good at it.
7. Try to change the world and make Linux on the desktop happen for ordinary people, by trying to start a site about how easy Linux is, with some friends from IRC.
8. Fail (obviously)
9. Try a ton of distros, including Gentoo and Arch.
10. Realize that I'm old and boring and just install the stable version of openSUSE and stick with that.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 6, 2021

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
1. Buy a raspberry pi
2. ????
3. spend 40 days locked in a datacenter, 20 with a crazy russian guy
4. Linux Janitor

tjones
May 13, 2005
* Slack and Debian in the late 90s early 2000s. Things broke easily and the desktop was frusterating. Lost interest quickly, multiple times.

* SuSE early to mid 2000s while porting UNIX curses software to GTK. Compiled a custom kernel during this time. Also tried LFS soon after. Fell off hard. Dipped my toes into BSD but I never stuck with it due to my employer's decision to migrate to Linux. Lost interest quickly in all things *NIX after changing careers.

* Began keeping a backup Debian install sometime during the end of Vista. Eventually moved from Debian to Ubuntu. Linux was much much more accessible now, and I remember being impressed with the overall state of things and the desktop compared to before.

* Stopped using Windows entirely on my personal machines during the beginning of Windows 8 except for a backup boot I used for occasional gaming and Adobe products.

* Moved to Arch around 2016-2017. I keep a minimum Debian install as a maintenance backup and a KDE/Ubuntu system image that mirrors what I now preload onto my family's PCs. I'll sometimes dable with FreeBSD but it's always fleeting and never replaced my daily driver.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've just been switching back and forth since slackware in the mid-late 90s, followed by red hat, then fell off for a long time because I play video games and had no professional drive, tho I would try it out a couple times a year to see if it had gotten to where it was usable for me, got a job as a linux admin, and have been switching between it and windows since. between video games and jobs using windows workstations I've always been in a hybrid state

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My first kernel was 1.2.13. :v:

I managed to resize the partition table on the family 486 and not lose anyone's files, then about four days later dad was all WHERES MY HARD DRIVE SPACE and I had to undo it all.

To demonstrate how big an idiot I was at that point, a year or so later I had my own 486 in my bedroom. I excitedly bought a brand new video card (with money from my very first job) that promised some absurd resolution in X11, only to open the case and realize it wouldn't fit on the ISA based motherboard. I didn't even know PCI existed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC apparently. It's an Asus 970 motherboard.

I dropped my Windows hard drive on the concrete, so I'm not sure, haha. I haven't tested the headset with Windows on that computer. The hard drive will be back to me in a few days, so maybe I posted this too soon if it's not some known issue.

I'd check the front panel connections to the motherboard to make sure nothing is wonky there. You could also try running a live USB of some other distro to see if the sound works normally there. I'd definitely suggest checking for hardware problems as a good idea.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

1. Install Phat Linux as 1.5 boot on my home Windows XP computer to experiment with an alternative OS.
2. Install Mandrake as an actual dual-boot on my home computer, continue running for years.
3. Experiment with various PPC and x86 distros at work.
4. Distro hop, dabble in BSD.
5. Run PCLinuxOS for a few years.
6. Install openSUSE on everything.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Used a mix of Solaris and Redhat in the computer labs at uni.
Bought a boxed copy of Redhat 6.0 installed it on my home PC. Couldn’t get X to run due to no drivers/Xserve for my GFX card(Voodoo Banshee)
Found some custom RPMs to install to support said card. Then had to download (on another PC) more RPMs for dependencies (no Yum/dnf on those days)
Got X11 and Gnome running, cool now to get online. Winmodem lol.
Moved on to Redhat 7.1 when it came out. Loved the new KDE everything just worked out of the box. Upgraded through to 7.3
Redhat 9 came out and put it on a new laptop as daily use machine. Fantastic distro at the time.
Moved from that to CENTOS 4 I think it was. Then up to 5.
Been on Fedora mostly since then.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
- While in community college I install linux mint on a dell latitude d610 that my dad gave me that his work gave him. I hugely hosed up the filesystem being a noob at linux and did not stay on mint long.
- Unwilling to use windows, I install a minimal debian iso plus awesomeWM (which must have taken me ages lol). I manage to get through the initial discomfort and learn a bit along the way. This setup lasts me for years.
- I upgrade my hardware to a thinkpad t420 and dabble briefly in arch linux before declaring it crap because it didn't jive with my janky rear end firefox mods. I go back to debian for a couple more years.
- I get a decent tower pc and install debian on it but become frustrated by package crustiness. I give arch another shot and end up really liking the package manager and user repo. I still use it as my main distro.
- Some minor dabbling I've done lately is gentoo on the t420 (which is stupid, I am impatient and can't handle the compile times on this weak rear end computer) and 32 bit raspberry pi os because I'm pretty sure I don't have much of a choice there.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

* Play with alternative OSes in high school. BeOS, QNX desktop, pirated OS/2, Mandrake Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris the first time they tested making it free on x86. I mostly stayed on BeOS and Windows.
* Conscripted to a surprisingly pleasant army office position for a year with spare desktop computers and another nerd. He was a Gentoo fan, I ended up diving into FreeBSD because it seemed ... sensible?

And I've sort of used FreeBSD where it fits since. The gaming PC runs Windows, the file server runs FreeBSD, the laptop dual dualboots windows and Fedora since the WiFi card isn't supported at all in FreeBSD yet . The integrated AMD graphics only started working on the very bleeding edge of "use this WIP git branch" a month or three ago, too.

I also run some computation and file servers for the group at work. ZFS has been pleasant, and linux/BSD mismatches in the analysis tools are very rarely a problem. (I think some of it are the macOS adaptions also benefiting me.)

I don't mind systemd in itself, but the constant NIH/new hotness churn on the Linux side is a bit annoying, even if it is also a strength.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 7, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, now we're getting Pipewire as a replacement? to Pulseaudio, I guess.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yup. I'm sure it is fine and solves some real issue, but I can't help but think of the XKCD "12 competing standards" thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ostensibly, it is trying to do for video what Pulseaudio did/does for audio, ie. a sort of unified pipeline. But as far as I can tell, it's also supposed to supplant Pulseaudio, so we have a unified audio/video pipline, I guess?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think it's default on fedora 34 and it's still a bit janky with some things i think (mpv sometimes starts with no sound for me until i scroll the video), but it's a far cry from how pulse audio was for the first two years (apt-get purge pulseaudio and fall back to alsa dmix lmfao)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm unable to get my wine 32 instance for SpaceStation 13 to recognize any audio devices in Fedora 34 with Pipewire (though it does work in a VM without pipewire). But that's been my only real issue with it so far.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KozmoNaut posted:

1. Dad buys a proper boxed version of SuSE Linux 6.4, "to see what this Linux thing is about".

My dad doesn't know dick about computers so I'm kind of jealous of you guys. But he did show me how to work on cars so the grass is always greener, right?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Ostensibly, it is trying to do for video what Pulseaudio did/does for audio, ie. a sort of unified pipeline. But as far as I can tell, it's also supposed to supplant Pulseaudio, so we have a unified audio/video pipline, I guess?

It's also supposed to replace Jack. If you're doing multitrack recording, getting rid of Jack will be great because it's a pain to get working. It's essential for low-latency monitoring and effects.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I feel like I'm a real weirdo because I started on KDE, with an Arch based distro, and have moved to preferring Gnome on Fedora, for a far snappier interface from Gnome with a much more coherent virtual desktop implementation, and less likely to completely nuke my install like my last 4 arch based distros have done after a month or so.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nitrousoxide posted:

I feel like I'm a real weirdo because I started on KDE, with an Arch based distro, and have moved to preferring Gnome on Fedora, for a far snappier interface from Gnome with a much more coherent virtual desktop implementation, and less likely to completely nuke my install like my last 4 arch based distros have done after a month or so.

Ya you are KDE is great and it's snappy for me, I am using an NVME drive :shrug:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KDE is great and snappy on my lowly Phenom II with a SATA SSD.

The key thing is to open System Settings, go to Workspace Behavior and change the animation speed a few ticks faster. The default setting is just a bit too slow for my comfort. Or just slam it straight to "instant", that works too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KozmoNaut posted:

The key thing is to open System Settings, go to Workspace Behavior and change the animation speed a few ticks faster. The default setting is just a bit too slow for my comfort. Or just slam it straight to "instant", that works too.

Yeah, no one seems to realize that EVERYTHING has a knob in KDE, even responsiveness

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

KozmoNaut posted:

The trick is to patch the binaries so you can set the animation speed above instant, and then it will predict your movements before you make them. :science:

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

KozmoNaut posted:

5. Install Mandrake Linux because gently caress Micro$oft.

Surprised a variation on this hasn't appeared in more responses.

1. Install Gentoo Linux because Micro$oft
2. Promptly lose interest because teenager
3. Buy a Macbook and grow to love having a package manager and other *nix niceties
4. Build a new desktop and install Fedora because there's no way I'm going to go back to Windows for statistical computing and development

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh yeah, I went from total Windows fanboy in the 90s, to edgy "man, gently caress Micro$haft Winblows!" in the early 2000s and tried to run purely FSF/GNU-approved software for a while, to a lot more pragmatic.

Still don't like using Windows, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was never vehemently anti-Microsoft, although I definitely had my misgivings. For me exploring Linux was partly curiosity, partly to be able to run my computer without having to use a proprietary OS, and partly to see what I could do with Linux that I couldn't do with Windows. I also quickly came to appreciate having two operating systems installed so that if something went seriously wrong in one I could boot to a workable machine using the other. The office I worked at was mostly Macs, so I was also used to using Mac OS, and helped shepherd the office through the shift to Mac OS X. Bouncing around between operating systems and seeing their respective strengths and weaknesses was something I was kind of steeped in at the time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
1) Have a programming course that gives out knoppix linux live cds to the pupils so that we could use kdevelop if we didn't have a programming environment at home.
2) Try to actually install linux on my computer as an experiment. Fail despite several days of trying to get internet or X to work, give up for a few years.
3) Buy an used office pc with a slightly old debian pre-installed, try to do a major version upgrade make the system unbootable.
4) Get a box of suse dvds,cds and a stack of manuals for less then the empty dvds would cost at a bookstore and actually install a working linux.
5) A year later, hose your system while trying up updated the kernel, which you need to update gnome backend, which you need for some program. This is on a kde box, btw.
6) Complain to the only serious linux user you know irl, get recommended gentoo. And enlightenment as window manager.
6a) Get a job where your work computer is a solaris thin client.
7) Run gentoo on that old office computer for over 10 years, some of them after the bios battery failed which means you can't turn off the computer without wiping the bios settings.
8) copy your home and etc directory to a new machine, because you had less time to install it then you thought.
9) Finally completely Theseus your machine by switching to manjaro almost at the 20 year mark.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I started writing out my path to where I am now but stopped when I got over a dozen steps. Some highlights:

1. Learned about the world of non-Apple/Microsoft operating systems from explanations of the jokes in early MegaTokyo.
2. Work to fix a nonfunctioning computer found in my friend's garage. When that computer first boot, it printed one word to the screen. No prompt, as I recall. The word:
GRUB
(The hard drive was formatted and Windows 2000 installed.)

[Several steps that start with "Had problems with my Windows install."]

Hear about Arch Linux and, on looking into it more, become dissatisfied with it in principle because what I was imagining was probably more like Linux From Scratch: https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Decide, a couple years later, to actually try Arch. Go through several dry runs on a virtual machine first, but these are clearly not good enough to see what it's actually like in practice.

Install Arch and get it working. (Cheer that I haven't screwed something up with GRUB and that my Windows partition is still accessible.) Struggle to get X working.

Try out multiple DEs and custom tweaks and break ... something? I don't know. I got my Linux install into a weird place that was deeply unpleasant to use.

Erase Linux from my computer, swear off using such an incoherent and poorly supported ecosystem, expand my Windows partition so I can install more video games.

Steadily get more interested in going back to A Linux because a friend is having a fine time using Manjaro and all the reasons that pushed me away from Windows still exist.

Reinstall Arch like a goddamn pro, having no major difficulties at any point. Install the basic set of programs I'm always using on Windows. Occasionally flip between Linux and Windows for a few months.

Increasing bizarre problems with Windows: Firefox (many tabs) + Discord + Rainmeter = Significant instability for Firefox and Discord; when one crashes the other goes with it. Causes other system-wide problems. This is serious and baffling enough that I just switch over to my Arch install full-time.

I still find package managers kind of weird.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

pseudorandom posted:

The trick is to patch the binaries so you can set the animation speed above instant, and then it will predict your movements before you make them. :science:

Ah, the CompSci parallel to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiotimoline .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I had a friend in 1998 who had a lot of connections to IT people at the college and/or local businesses, and he had a number of OSes and had some weird desktop with a bunch of buttons on the side of the screen. I was like "wow that's neat what is it" and he said it was Linux.

Had a dial up modem so whole OS images were kind of too difficult to bother with. Bought some book on Linux thinking it was just one identical product or something, not knowing how distros worked or how many there were. With some difficulty, managed to install Slackware from CD. Couldn't use it for much. Complained to friend that this was irritating and asked what he used. He said Red Hat. I looked and it was either way too much to download or a physical CD you could purchase in store for more money than most distros. I did get as far as booting GUI with XFree86 and AfterStep or some other NextStep lookalike desktop which wasn't nearly as cool as my buddy's.

Formatted it all in defeat and went back to Windows.

A year later, Quake 3 Test came out on Linux and I wanted to run it, so I tried Corel Linux. Used KDE1 and managed to get Quake running and played around. Visited some web sites in Linux. Felt satisfied, wiped and went back to Windows. I'd experiment with Corel a few more times before XP came out. XP made me hate Microsoft less, until it became a malware playground and this time I went to OSX.

In 2010, I was all about my Mac Mini and didn't care to preserve my Windows install, so I gave Ubuntu a try. Over the decade, package managers etc reached mostly the point where they are now. It was easier to get the kind of work done that I was doing in Mac. Saw WINE actually run Windows tools, mind blown. I flipped to Debian in 2011 to use pure Gnome 3 instead of Unity, and then let go in the summer to get back into PC gaming after watching WINE run Left 4 Dead miserably.

I picked up Fedora at the dawn of 2019 because I needed to run a home server on hardware so new that most distros were broken. Added it as a dual boot option on my main machine so I can learn things without wasting the stable machine. Kept it around to do tasks in a more private environment since my Windows policies are basically begging to be spied, botted, and owned.