Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I just noticed, Steph kept the Callamastia figurine:

She has Chloe’s old Glowy Bear too:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Meet the supportive, caring older brother who turned his life around and DEFINITELY nothing bad will happen to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUxlV3gNaLM

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Meet the supportive, caring older brother who turned his life around and DEFINITELY nothing bad will happen to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUxlV3gNaLM

Kind of curious how much of Gabe we’re actually going to see in the game as there seems to be a decent amount of footage prior to the incident (unless it’s all in flashbacks or something)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't think there's any footage we've seen so far that looks like it's beyond the first or second act. Gabe suffers from One Costume Syndrome in every trailer so I think we can already guess his fate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think there's any footage we've seen so far that looks like it's beyond the first or second act. Gabe suffers from One Costume Syndrome in every trailer so I think we can already guess his fate.

True, I’m guessing it’ll be like the dad in LiS2 where he gets taken out of the picture early in the first episode.

Also there’s no guessing involved on the second point, they literally told us in the reveal trailer that he died (or at least is presumed dead)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 4, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In non-game related news,

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1390327998352662529

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

I sense shenanigans with this could be a marketing move and I'm over thinking though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

I sense shenanigans with this could be a marketing move and I'm over thinking though

There’s a new game coming out and as a licensed comic they’re likely obligated to promote it (there will also be a Free Comic Book Day exclusive issue that features Alex and Steph), nothing more to it than that.

That said, since the current Max and Chloe storyline seems to be drawing to a close it might be interesting if they changed gears and focused on some other characters for a change (or possibly even some stories from the alternate timelines Max visits in the first game).

I just feel there’s a whole bunch of stuff they could do with this universe, no reason to just limit themselves to two main characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

There’s a new game coming out and as a licensed comic they’re likely obligated to promote it (there will also be a Free Comic Book Day exclusive issue that features Alex and Steph), nothing more to it than that.

That said, since the current Max and Chloe storyline seems to be drawing to a close it might be interesting if they changed gears and focused on some other characters for a change (or possibly even some stories from the alternate timelines Max visits in the first game).

I just feel there’s a whole bunch of stuff they could do with this universe, no reason to just limit themselves to two main characters.

Comic number/naming schemes are the weirdest poo poo ever. This is basically issue 16 in the ongoing LiS comic, titled #3.1:Coming Home, which will be collected in volume 5, titled Coming Home.

A Life is Strange universe is not something I'm going to concern myself with until a bit after True Colors is out. That has to do a lot of work to recapture the magic of the Arcadia Bay adventures, in addition to reaching decent sales goals. Plus, setting the games all forward in an ongoing timeline limits the flexibility of reintroducing old cast in a plausible way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I was mostly referring to the the world of the comics in my previous statement but yeah, so far the series has been on a very rigid timeline (the first game was set in 2013, BTS was in 2010 with a brief jump back to 2008 for the bonus episode, LiS2 takes place during the span of late 2016 and early to mid 2017 and True Colors is apparently in 2019 with a bonus episode set a year earlier) which does limit things a bit.

It might be fun if they eventually decided to say screw continuity and had some games set in alternate universes or something.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 7, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/life-is-strange-true-colors-meet-the-cast/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And another video, this time about our token male sidekick/potential love interest Ryan:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1391780955229204480

Seems like we may finally have a male love interest in an a LiS game that isn’t weird/a creep (though Warren’s fairly tame compared to the two that followed him). I’m still going Steph my first time through of course but this seems like a good sign at least.

Also Alex’s powers apparently include mind reading

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 10, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A little hint as to how Alex’s powers might work in gameplay:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/13/devs-reveal-their-upcoming-dualsense-wireless-controller-implementations/

Not sure if this is going to be implemented somehow in the other versions of the game but it’s a neat touch at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 14, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

And another video, this time about our token male sidekick/potential love interest Ryan:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1391780955229204480

Seems like we may finally have a male love interest in an a LiS game that isn’t weird/a creep (though Warren’s fairly tame compared to the two that followed him). I’m still going Steph my first time through of course but this seems like a good sign at least.

Also Alex’s powers apparently include mind reading

Warren in 2013 would be an incel/"nice guy" in 2020. I don't mean they'd write him any differently it's just that playbook of "being best friend, get nowhere, make drunken advance, get rejected" is like the first page of the that playbook. A modern version of that game would only have to change by adding some text messages from him after it accusing you of using his friendship.

I kind of blank on everything he does in ep 5, because the world is falling apart and the only priority is Chloe, but I seem to recall he still tries to flirt in the diner as people are dying around him.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

pentyne posted:

Warren in 2013 would be an incel/"nice guy" in 2020. I don't mean they'd write him any differently it's just that playbook of "being best friend, get nowhere, make drunken advance, get rejected" is like the first page of the that playbook. A modern version of that game would only have to change by adding some text messages from him after it accusing you of using his friendship.

I kind of blank on everything he does in ep 5, because the world is falling apart and the only priority is Chloe, but I seem to recall he still tries to flirt in the diner as people are dying around him.

The whole point of Warren is while he comes off the way he never crosses that line and is at a minimum a legit friend, the closest he gets to it is if you reject him and reject Chloe and in that case Max blows him off pretty easy. That's why his locker is the way it is in Max's thing in Ep5

I really really hope they get better at the dude romances

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

The whole point of Warren is while he comes off the way he never crosses that line and is at a minimum a legit friend, the closest he gets to it is if you reject him and reject Chloe and in that case Max blows him off pretty easy. That's why his locker is the way it is in Max's thing in Ep5

I really really hope they get better at the dude romances

Eliot and Finn suck but Ryan seems ok based on the above trailer (we’ll see though)

But yeah, so far in every instance the female love interest has been the better overall character (and in this game said character is Steph so I don’t see that changing any time soon). As long as Ryan is Warren level or better I’ll be fine with him.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 14, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Warren is nowhere near incel level

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sharkitten posted:

Warren is nowhere near incel level

There's a venn diagram of incel/niceguy and he's definitely in the nice guy circle not the overlap, it just two terms so closely linked in general.

There's a spectrum for the whole thing to get specific if you want but the dopey nerd guy friend who keeps trying and getting shut down is usually just one straw away from screaming "whore" at the girl he's in love with.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
luckily he's fictional.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Square is currently doing a little reunion stream with the cast of the first game in honor of the upcoming remastered edition:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IOCwoPPxq3o

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

At E3 this year we will apparently be getting a more in depth look at True Colors as well as our first real footage of the Remastered Collection:

https://press.na.square-enix.com/SQUARE-ENIX-PRESENTS-SUMMER-SHOWCASE-TO-AIR-ON-JUNE-13-DURING-DIGITAL-

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also kinda sorta related but Tell Me Why is free on steam this month

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Seems like they'll be showcasing the powers & choice system at this upcoming event.

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1400473669579776003

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Seems like they'll be showcasing the powers & choice system at this upcoming event.

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1400473669579776003

That’s pretty much what I wanted to know the most about the game so works for me.

I’m curious if the remakes will have anything new beyond just being a graphical update (like maybe adding back in some scenes/dialogue that were cut from the original games).

Apparently Chloe is getting a new outfit in BtS based on a shirt she wore in the comic at least (likely a preorder bonus):

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe the legendary third ending.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe the legendary third ending.

Is that a reddit thing?

I'd be happy if the ending was somehow more then the original binary yes/no. LiS2 had problems but the final ending choice was drastically impacted by the decisions you made through the entire game and felt more meaningful by far.

Tell Me Why was kind of the same, as it focused on the same sense of building the family relationship (or not) in order to effect how the twins respond to each other and what decisions they make for themselves.

I'd hope True Colors kind of strikes the same note. A ending where your general playstyle and treatment of people builds up to more then one potential outcome beyond just the final dramatic choice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pentyne posted:

Is that a reddit thing?

I'd be happy if the ending was somehow more then the original binary yes/no. LiS2 had problems but the final ending choice was drastically impacted by the decisions you made through the entire game and felt more meaningful by far.

Tell Me Why was kind of the same, as it focused on the same sense of building the family relationship (or not) in order to effect how the twins respond to each other and what decisions they make for themselves.

I'd hope True Colors kind of strikes the same note. A ending where your general playstyle and treatment of people builds up to more then one potential outcome beyond just the final dramatic choice.

https://life-is-strange.fandom.com/wiki/Hospital_Ending

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The press releases for the game make it seem like True Colors will have more than two endings (including one where Alex just straight up leaves town). I’m also hoping the relationship system is a bit more involved this time (meaning you can potentially screw it up if you make the wrong choices).

It would also be nice if they took a page from Night in the Woods and had entirely different story scenarios depending on whether you choose to hang with Steph or Ryan on a given day.

As for the “third ending” to the game I’ve heard it was axed pretty early on. There’s also some concept art of Max in a hospital gown facing down a truck, implying that the original version of Episode 5 was going to be slightly different in certain aspects.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They keep framing Alex's story as to whether or not Haven Springs will be a place that she can finally call home so I imagine the ending will revolve around choosing to stay or go.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

They keep framing Alex's story as to whether or not Haven Springs will be a place that she can finally call home so I imagine the ending will revolve around choosing to stay or go.

It’s possible there are other factors involved as well and like LiS2 there will be two options presented to you at the end as per usual but more than one possible ending path for each depending on your choices throughout the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what time is the Square Enix event supposed to start today again?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

About 3:15pm Eastern in the US.

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1403736349451169793

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

True Colors looks REALLY cool imo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Lol looks like LiS2 has been well and fully erased from any LiS franchise mentions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Here's the full spot from the stream. It seems like Alex's powers open up more dialogue options that can affect later decisions, and she also gets some bigger choices about whether or not to absorb an emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTrEmvMeucc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Lol looks like LiS2 has been well and fully erased from any LiS franchise mentions.

I think it was more that LiS2 was just too recent for them to bother remaking (there’s some bonus outfits in True Colors that reference it after all)

Also while I’m glad the characters are a bit more expressive now is it just me or do some of the faces in the remastered collection look really weird in certain shots?

Additionally, did they add some new dialogue to the game? I don’t remember some lines like “Then I realized, I had a choice and the power to change everything” and “Arcadia Bay is on the brink of disaster”

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 13, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nevermind, apparently said lines were from the Episode 1 and 4 trailers from the original respectively.

Anyway is it just me or does Alex’s power give anyone else major Twin Mirror vibes? Especially the part about her literally being able to enter someone’s subconscious via the “Nova” system.

Literally being able to steal emotions from people seems interesting as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Rachel’s eyes look a little weird in some shots but everything else is basically what I expected out of this remaster. Some better shadows, lip sync and eye movement but not a full reimagining or anything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am curious if they’re going to do anything like put some unused dialogue/assets back into the games and/or add a Japanese voice option like DontNod did for LiS2/Captain Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

I am curious if they’re going to do anything like put some unused dialogue/assets back into the games and/or add a Japanese voice option like DontNod did for LiS2/Captain Spirit.
Isn't there already a Japanese voice option for LiS? Dunno about BtS.

Also give us the hospital ending, cowards.