Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

explosivo posted:

I hadn't heard of Biomutant before yesterday but I gotta say I love the description of this game.
i haven't seen much marketing either but it's thq so i assume they're just advertising it on 4chan

but it's been in development for a few years, it was announced at an E3 before E3 went on covid break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Looks like Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition just dropped on Steam. If you happen to have an RT capable card, this might be worth installing to check it out.

It’s available to all Exodus owners, and installs as a separate game (it has a separate entry in the library); it also has its own set of achievements.

Huh... I have Exodus and according to the Steam news page I should see a separate entry for EE, but I only have the 'base' Exodus.

Can anybody confirm they see a separate "Enhanced Edition" in their library?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
biomutant’s had a ton of trailers over the last several months, all in-engine

regardless of how it turns out the devs sure seem confident in it

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

Huh... I have Exodus and according to the Steam news page I should see a separate entry for EE, but I only have the 'base' Exodus.

Can anybody confirm they see a separate "Enhanced Edition" in their library?

Restart your Steam.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sininu posted:

Restart your Steam.

:tipshat:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

What games did it recently? I can't think of any.

I can't think of any more recent ones than the Mass Effect series that had both character creation and the ability to bring over a character between games. Outside of Diablo clones and looter shooters I can't really remember a lot of RPGs with that kind of more freeform character building even being released recently, though.

The Dragon Age series allowed you to bring along the world state from game to game, but the main character changed every game. It was seemingly more of a 90s RPG thing that Bioware kept alive longer than most developers.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Can confirm that I do not regret spending the time or (sale) money on the full Muv-Luv trilogy (as of two-thirds of the way through Alternative), and that you need the full experience. Yes, Extra is ~18 hours of pretty standard schmaltzy harem dating sim in an idyllic setting, but they make FULL use of that... retroactively. All three games are very much following a linear series of events from the protagonist's point of view and even though all the interesting development only starts happening in Unlimited, it's important to have that contrast, and furthermore the events of Extra start becoming more and more important as you go through Alternative.

I will say that there are multiple "Namek is going to explode in 5 minutes!" scenarios that end up dragging out over an unbelievable length of time as they suddenly dive into atomic-level granular detail on sci-fi technobabble and/or the motivations, fear, selfishness, trauma, and logical fallacies of the protagonist and people in general. But... sci-fi technobabble aside, some of this is legitimately helping me, just a little bit, to work through some poo poo of my own. It's quite remarkable.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

lordfrikk posted:

What games did it recently? I can't think of any.
Pillars of Eternity 2 did it as well, and they did a good job putting in quite a few references to your choices from the first game.

They even made a very comprehensive in-game history generator if you wanted to generate a character to import without actually playing through the full first game that let you go through almost every choice that carried over into the second game.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Tales of Vesperia's steam release? I'm reading a lot of reviews that mention controller/stability issues, is it worth grabbing on deep discount or is it another Symphonia-esque hackjob of a port?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Tales of Vesperia's steam release? I'm reading a lot of reviews that mention controller/stability issues, is it worth grabbing on deep discount or is it another Symphonia-esque hackjob of a port?
worked fine for me with a ds4, did all the sidequests, etc

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
For anyone like me who missed out on the last demo, Slipways the space grand strategy/trading game has another demo going from now until the 10th, people seemed pretty into it last time so I'm interested to give it a go.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zathril posted:

For anyone like me who missed out on the last demo, Slipways the space grand strategy/trading game has another demo going from now until the 10th, people seemed pretty into it last time so I'm interested to give it a go.

Hell yeah that demo was good and chill as gently caress. Looks like this one has some new stuff.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

BexGu posted:

I can't believe I'm both cautiously optimistic on both Biomutant and Necromunda: Hired Gun after the last two gameplay trailers dropped. Both are really looking great with a off beat and weird AA type of game that we don't see that often.

I have been keeping an eye on Biomutant for a long time and it's starting to come together. Really looking forward to it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Can confirm that I do not regret spending the time or (sale) money on the full Muv-Luv trilogy (as of two-thirds of the way through Alternative), and that you need the full experience. Yes, Extra is ~18 hours of pretty standard schmaltzy harem dating sim in an idyllic setting, but they make FULL use of that... retroactively. All three games are very much following a linear series of events from the protagonist's point of view and even though all the interesting development only starts happening in Unlimited, it's important to have that contrast, and furthermore the events of Extra start becoming more and more important as you go through Alternative.

I will say that there are multiple "Namek is going to explode in 5 minutes!" scenarios that end up dragging out over an unbelievable length of time as they suddenly dive into atomic-level granular detail on sci-fi technobabble and/or the motivations, fear, selfishness, trauma, and logical fallacies of the protagonist and people in general. But... sci-fi technobabble aside, some of this is legitimately helping me, just a little bit, to work through some poo poo of my own. It's quite remarkable.

After being blown away by 13 Sentinels I've thought about trying some VN's, and reading stuff like this puts Muv-Luv at the top of the list. But I'm worried that crossing this line will result in the Steam algorithm sentencing me to anime hell.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Loop Hero is on sale! Does it have good staying power or was it a FOTM gimmick?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question about downloading old versions of steam games: If there's only one depot on steamdb does that mean only that one version can be downloaded?

Sloppy posted:

If you think of it as a puzzle game it's good but as a roguelike, eh. You'll solve it eventually and be unbeatable without truly dire luck.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sloppy posted:

It’s worth it, it’s not the best thing ever but it’s a lot of fun as long as you don’t go and look up optimized poo poo to trivialize the game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Loop Hero is very much an RNG-driven grind. If you play the demo and wish there was a lot more with a lot more randomness and a lot more grind to reduce that randomness, maybe buy it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

bees x1000 posted:

After being blown away by 13 Sentinels I've thought about trying some VN's, and reading stuff like this puts Muv-Luv at the top of the list. But I'm worried that crossing this line will result in the Steam algorithm sentencing me to anime hell.

That's not how Steam recommendations work. And anyway I'd say it's worth it even if it was.

Muv-Luv Alternative is you living through a world where the common saying is "make your death count". It's the slow burn story of an idiot trying to find his place in a world like that, a story of growth -- but also of enough twists and political maneuvering and creepy poo poo that it stays interesting throughout the whole thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

Loop Hero is very much an RNG-driven grind. If you play the demo and wish there was a lot more with a lot more randomness and a lot more grind to reduce that randomness, maybe buy it.

You get enough tools to reduce the RNG factor that it doesn’t feel too random, I can usually tell what bad choice hosed me. It’s definitely a basically solvable game and solving it is most of the fun, hence why I suggested avoided leaning heavily on guides. I had a fun 20 hours or so with it as mostly a podcast game.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

That's not how Steam recommendations work. And anyway I'd say it's worth it even if it was.

It kind of is how Steam recommendations work, but it'd be equally likely to sentence you to anime hell for buying the Phoenix Wright trilogy, so

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Fine, on the wishlist they go.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure if you're as confused as I was but to my understanding:

There's Muv-Luv, which has two parts (extra and unlimited) after which comes the sequel, Muv-Luv Alternative. Everything else is secondary, and despite being a trilogy there's only two actual games to buy. I... think.

They also never go on that deep sale, being like 40% off at best so if they go down to that you might as well get it then.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it's confusing but that's my understanding as well, I just wishlisted the two games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Muv-Luv guide from someone who has read the whole thing from before it was on steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/802880/MuvLuv/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/802890/MuvLuv_Alternative/

Buy these two games, they contain the main story in three arcs.

Arc 1: Extra. This is a vaguely funny stock standard highschool comedy romance thing. Sets up the main character and his relationships with the various girls, has a variety of silly endings.

Arc 2: Unlimited. Originally a secret that you only unlocked by finishing Extra. You're supposed to go "what is this" and read it and be surprised at how it's now military sci-fi. Main character wakes up one day to find himself not in the high school comedy life, but instead in a ruined Japan. He's soon drafted into the military and put through training and stuff...and all the girls he knew from Extra are back, as soldiers who don't know him - except for one girl, his childhood friend.

This one is a weird mixture of serious and comedy, and it ends in a weirdly unsatisfying way - the aliens you're fighting? They never show up in this one. It's military sci-fi without the action.

Arc 3: Alternative. This is what it's all been building to. Protagonist man wakes up in ruined Tokyo, back at the beginning of Unlimited...except he remembers the events of Unlimited. He's already a hardcore soldier. He gets himself drafted again, prepares to make sure they get a proper ending here, and.... the aliens show up. Cue one hell of a story as major characters fight and die, secrets are uncovered, a dimension is crossed, and you find your missing childhood friend.

If you're willing to engage with this series on its level - horny, stupid, anime and cliche as gently caress - it rewards you with badass mecha fights, genuinely emotional moments, tragedy, and more. But be warned that the horny will intrude, especially at a moment in Alternative where it doesn't belong, and goddamnit. Oh, and the mecha pilot suits are horny cling-wrap because the devs were horny. :sigh: I think it's worth reading through despite these flaws, but I have a huge anime tolerance and enjoyed basically all of it - except for the lacrosse arc in Extra, which was boring.

On the bright side, you're reading the edited actually good version of the translation that made it to steam, and not the clusterfuck I read! Enjoy!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Acerbatus posted:

There's Muv-Luv, which has two parts (extra and unlimited) after which comes the sequel, Muv-Luv Alternative.

That's it, yeah. You can skip Extra + Unlimited and still figure out things, but the impact of some events and callbacks in Alternative will be way lessened.

Extra while just being a dumb dating VN, it actually got a strong sense of humor playing with your expectations. I enjoyed me time with it because it was wacky as hell. Unlimited, on the other hand, tried to also do this along with the other serious stuff that it's theme felt inconsistent, but the good news is that's it's short and it's the direct prequel to Alternative so you end up jumping to it without much regret. All in all, not a bad way to spend time until the main course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So Hardspace Shipbreakers is on sale this weekend. I know it’s still in EA but how’s it coming along?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Now that people are describing it, I realize I've been confusing Muv-Luv with Gal*Gun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

So Hardspace Shipbreakers is on sale this weekend. I know it’s still in EA but how’s it coming along?

Now is a good time to jump in, since there’s about to be a big content update that’ll be incompatible with old saves.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Now is a good time to jump in, since there’s about to be a big content update that’ll be incompatible with old saves.

its out already actually, act 1 of the main story is in now as well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The countdown on Steam says RE releases in 2.5 hours, but people are already playing, so I guess it's released.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Is it REgional?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I believe it's out in EU/Asia/Oceanic so if you VPN to any of those you can go play it now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Oh yeah that's it. It doesn't feel like many big games do that nowadays on PC so I didn't even think about it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh, and the mecha pilot suits are horny cling-wrap because the devs were horny. :sigh:

They take their sweet-rear end time getting around to it and there's only a couple lines to acknowledge it, but the cling-wrap pilot suits are horny for in-universe reasons (unisex military conditioning to train your sense of shame out of you).

...Yeah, it's a lovely excuse for a dumb as hell design decision. At least the sex scenes are removed by default.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah and Kojima made that naked sniper lady "genetically unable to wear shirts" for in universe reasons too
if you write the universe after you write the horny parts, anything can have in-universe explanations

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah and Kojima made that naked sniper lady "genetically unable to wear shirts" for in universe reasons too
if you write the universe after you write the horny parts, anything can have in-universe explanations

What? No.

She couldn't wear shirts because she would suffocate. God get your poo poo right.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I hope you feel ashamed of your words and deeds, RPATDO_LAMD

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
time to hand in my MGS Titty Lore Expert card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MonkeyforaHead posted:

They take their sweet-rear end time getting around to it and there's only a couple lines to acknowledge it, but the cling-wrap pilot suits are horny for in-universe reasons (unisex military conditioning to train your sense of shame out of you).

...Yeah, it's a lovely excuse for a dumb as hell design decision. At least the sex scenes are removed by default.

As I said, the devs were horny. Which is, it’s fine to be horny but I wish they had owned it instead of that poor excuse.