Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Thomamelas posted:

Cruft is pretty old, dating back to the 60's. I remember encountering it in the computer world in the 90's.
It's been been traced back to the 1950s MIT model railroad club (which was the ur-source for a lot of hacker slang)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Zaepho posted:

:yotj: 15k bump plus 15% bonus for having the balls to apply somewhere I never thought would employ me. Apparently good foundational skills are good anywhere.

Embrace the inner Imposter.

Yessss I wonder how much this thread has increased its income just in 2021. :woop:

It's already changed my life, my disabled mom is moving 3 min away from us to a first floor place before end of this month :)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wibla posted:

So you were in 7th fleet, eh? :v:

No 7th fleet is just a smidge worse than the rest of the fleet.

Fun fact one of the few competent officers onboard in those disasters is goon.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
There is nothing quite like the feeling of a project finally leaving a purgatory outside of your control

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My last day at the current gig is Friday. I sent out an email blast to friends and colleges I've worked with and gotten to know over the years and was kinda shocked at the number of "Where are you going/why are you leaving?" emails and I think some might follow me out the door.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was called out to the floor (this is not an IT company, but a manufacturing one) because the workstation no longer had any network access. Tests to rule out errors at the computer led to following the network wire where I found in a corner, that the rear leg of a shelf was squeezing the network cable. They moved the shelf last month they said. They lifted the shelf and I pulled the cable free and I rolled it out with my fingers and suddenly the network access was back.

I didn't know network cables worked exactly like water hoses, but can't argue with results...

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
is it just me or is mixing sas and sata drives in a dell or hp a hellish experience

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Vendor: "Please allow your SMTP relay to send mail to users outside your domain."

Me: "sir that mail relay is Office365"

Vendor: "Please configure Office365 to allow anonymous relay to external users"

Me: :ughh:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We are implementing a cloud product in TYOOL 2021 that requires you to bring your own smtp server for outbound relay instead of just giving us the loving spf/dmarc record like any other platform we have send as us. At least we can just point it at proofpoint and call it a day, but that’s idiotic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The costs these vendors must put into supporting SMTP relay and having known IP addresses has got to be higher than just using SES or whatever to handle email.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was called out to the floor (this is not an IT company, but a manufacturing one) because the workstation no longer had any network access. Tests to rule out errors at the computer led to following the network wire where I found in a corner, that the rear leg of a shelf was squeezing the network cable. They moved the shelf last month they said. They lifted the shelf and I pulled the cable free and I rolled it out with my fingers and suddenly the network access was back.

I didn't know network cables worked exactly like water hoses, but can't argue with results...

Network cabinets can be really fuckin' heavy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

The costs these vendors must put into supporting SMTP relay and having known IP addresses has got to be higher than just using SES or whatever to handle email.

The worst part of this, the vendor is implementing MFA and their methods only consist of email, SMS and call. They are pushing email as the more secure option, which it probably is*

*Provided your email is protected by 2FA and the code doesn't pop up on any previews you could view with your phone being locked

Just going to tell them they need to configure sms/call for this user and to not talk to me until they implement less lovely MFA.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I were product managing a cloud app now I don't think I'd even build a user directory for it - just have it integrate with Google Workspace and Azure AD, perhaps do SAML at a later date.

And if the emails it sends out are personalised to each user rather than automated alerting, just use the Exchange Online and Gmail APIs to submit messages on behalf of the user. At least then it gets into the sent mail.

There's a little startup ISP here that did away with account passwords and just sends a unique link to your email inbox whenever you need to access your account, which I think is pretty smart because it's an account people might sign into once or twice a year and I would guess the associated support burden for password resets eats the margin on a consumer product like that.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I just got out of an interview with a data warehouse and transfer company. I'm interested and scared that a. They want a 10 year hire for this, everyone there is long term and b. They're a 12 person operation. I'd be mostly customer service but I'd get to work directly with the CTO and get my hands in a ton of pies in the data space. I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

His Divine Shadow posted:

If you put your thumb over the end of a rj45 the bits spray out at a higher velocity

10gig ethernet cards are basically just big thumbs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I also think infosec is like an industry leader of old, obsolete fuckwads who post temporary junior level jobs for people who have valid skills from this century. Can you take a 12 month contract to make our azure space actually secure? Gee, what happens after the 12 months? Does your azure no longer need to be secure? Do you expect them to also teach you how to be something besides worthless in the next 12 months? Go engage a vendor you cheap, worthless pieces of poo poo.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

My company operates on a pretty predictable cycle of fuckwad-ity:
  • We need to replace this old platform.
  • That'll take a lot of work. We can't get funding. No new hires!
  • Maintaining the old systems is a lot of work. What can we do?
  • We'll hire more engineers!
  • Oh, like, experienced ones?
  • Hahahahahahahahahaha no
Even when leadership decides "we're gonna do the new thing" it still circles back to "but you have to self-fund it."

Billions in revenue, still digging change out of the loving couch cushions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our company is in a different boat now. Everyone for the longest time was told to be as cheap as possible, spend no money! Lately the pocket books have opened substantially due to growth but these loving managers are being cheap fuckers with everything. It's cheaper we can save so much! No you rear end in a top hat, get the SAAS solution so I don't have to support the infra.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

It's cheaper we can save so much! No you rear end in a top hat, get the SAAS solution so I don't have to support the infra.

This is a big problem that I've been encountering for a while now at different places. They can't seem to make that jump in logic that if they can pay more for SaaS, they can get rid of other expenses. At my last place I was literally telling them to buy these 2 pieces of software that would mean they could get rid of me. They wouldn't get rid of me. I wanted to get them in a good position and leave and they couldn't comprehend.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Stupid little issues with our on-prem Jira and Confluence servers have eaten up my time at work this week. Thankfully we will certainly move to the hosted product as there’s no way they’d pay for the Datacenter version licensing with Server goes out of support.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Is Confluence/Jira pricing still insane? Like goes from $200 to $10,000 if your over 8 people or something?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of our apps doesn't work well with a specific cable model model apparently so engineering is having Charter install a cable connection and they're getting dozens of models to test on site. Bunch of loving geniuses over there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Is Confluence/Jira pricing still insane? Like goes from $200 to $10,000 if your over 8 people or something?

Yes, but they're really pushing the cloud per user per month billing. If you're big enough you can buy datacenter.

So I mean if you have 20 people I guess it's not too bad. It's still 1750-3500 depending on the plan you get.

It's criminal they charge extra for SSO

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

There's no more "8 person"

In order to focus on delivering a world-class cloud experience, we’re ending the sale and support of our server licenses.
End of sale for new licenses
On February 2, 2021 PT, we will stop selling new licenses for our server products and cease new feature development in our server product line.
On February 2, 2021 PT, we will increase the price of maintenance for existing server licenses to ensure the continued security and maintenance of our server platform.

the minimum is now $27k for 500 users

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Biowarfare posted:

There's no more "8 person"

In order to focus on delivering a world-class cloud experience, we’re ending the sale and support of our server licenses.
End of sale for new licenses
On February 2, 2021 PT, we will stop selling new licenses for our server products and cease new feature development in our server product line.
On February 2, 2021 PT, we will increase the price of maintenance for existing server licenses to ensure the continued security and maintenance of our server platform.

:asoiaf:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I miss the old 10-person $10 licenses (that went up to a few thousand at 11 people). It was very useful for self hosting personal project stuff. Now it's all gone.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Biowarfare posted:

That's just for Confluence datacenter for a year. Jira is 42,000 a year for 500 users.

They're seriously pushing the cloud subscriptions. We're paying for datacenter, and I'm not sure exactly how much it is, but I'm pretty sure it's drat near 7 figures at this point.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

skipdogg posted:

That's just for Confluence datacenter for a year. Jira is 42,000 a year for 500 users.

They're seriously pushing the cloud subscriptions. We're paying for datacenter, and I'm not sure exactly how much it is, but I'm pretty sure it's drat near 7 figures at this point.

Yeah they announced this last October and I was quite surprised (and dismayed) by the lack of reaction in the IT press - no one seemed to care that another company was making the big jump from "pushing most of our customers into cloud but still selling software" over to "on-premises software? the gently caress you on about mate, down undah here in Oz you can pay us all the money or you can gently caress off cheers". (The first to do this being Adobe, with honorable mention to Microsoft for being 99% there with Office).

Don't get me wrong, kudos to them for having good enough software they can lock everyone in without huge numbers jumping ship, and I love me some "not staying up until midnight to do on-premises software maintenance" as much as the next "Ex"-change admin, see what I did there, but for those situations where companies can't afford the huge ongoing costs it's dismaying to see the blatant cash grab and lock-in to cloud platform without any alternative. And every time a company does this and is successful, it emboldens all the rest of them to do the same.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SyNack Sassimov posted:

“Good enough software”

you know we’re talking about atlassian right

I actually sympathize pretty hard with killing off on prem as much as possible, but in no way shape or form would I call atlassian good software.

Terrible documentation, lots of missing features, and whether SaaS or server it’s hella expensive.

The only place that didn’t use it wrote their own ERP/ticketing system and honestly, it was delightful and easy to use. Came with a really slick seat map too. Alas I barely remember it tho cuz it was my first job ever, but I’d love to look at it with the eyes I have now.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
think you mean

quote:

good enough contracts

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
We’re now switching to Jira Service Management for cost reasons vs Freshservice ($20/seat vs like 89 for the tier with real reporting capabilities) and it’s amazing how many basic ‘ticketing system’ features are missing or implemented in crazy convoluted ways.

I guess they want to keep their loving ‘marketplace’ app devs happy so they never really implement glaring feature omissions.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

^^^^ Jesus talk about going backwards, that's like walking into a house with LED lighting and going "naw, what you need here is some gas lamps, lemme just run a gas line into every room so we can replace these silly LED things"

The Iron Rose posted:

you know we’re talking about atlassian right

I actually sympathize pretty hard with killing off on prem as much as possible, but in no way shape or form would I call atlassian good software.

Terrible documentation, lots of missing features, and whether SaaS or server it’s hella expensive.

The only place that didn’t use it wrote their own ERP/ticketing system and honestly, it was delightful and easy to use. Came with a really slick seat map too. Alas I barely remember it tho cuz it was my first job ever, but I’d love to look at it with the eyes I have now.

Fair enough, I was mostly thinking about Confluence. I've set up too many JIRA servers (this is misleading - I've set up four or five, and I would have preferred to stop after one), and I have never actually used JIRA myself day-to-day, only watched clients use it - most as a bug system, which seemed OK, and one as a ticketing system, which seemed insane.

But Confluence seems like the best option available for documentation because it lowers the friction of editing just enough that it doesn't seem like a great hassle to pop in and add a single line of documentation or update an IP or something. That's always the issue with the other wiki-based documenting systems I've seen and used - the mental block of "this is going to take at least 10 minutes to add this info so I'll do it later" and soon enough the thing is completely out of date.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Confluence is a rats nest of hell. Bu that's not the softwares fault.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Also Java keystores suck

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
While I appreciate Microsoft in helping to inflate cloud salaries, some of the default tenant settings for azure/o365 are loving shameful.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

While I appreciate Microsoft in helping to inflate cloud salaries, some of the default tenant settings for azure/o365 are loving shameful.

I would like to know more. It's been like two years since we migrated to azure and I can't remember anything about ut.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
well i've finally hopped on the vs code bandwagon, please pray and mourn for me

what must-have extensions do i need other than python/terraform/github? Any little tips and tricks I wouldn't get just reading the docs?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I installed the Vim extension and feel at home.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Iron Rose posted:

well i've finally hopped on the vs code bandwagon, please pray and mourn for me

what must-have extensions do i need other than python/terraform/github? Any little tips and tricks I wouldn't get just reading the docs?

If you use Ansible, Red Hat's Ansible Language plugin is good. ShellCheck for bash script checking/linting. Bracket Pair Colorizer 2 is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I just did a migration with office 365, moving the files from the drive to share point was fine but the GUI is awful when trying to move a large number of files from one folder to another within share point. Ended up with a shitload of errors if you go too fast and it just stops you from doing more than a specific yet never explicitly stated number at once. And the libraries on doing stuff on share point in powershell is so bad it’s not even clear which library to use.